Aussie Man Falls To Death From Parasail On Phuket Beach

snoop1130

3 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Another true story:  Chiang Mai, a Chinese woman was at the end of a long zip line between trees (my zip lines went from rock cliffs to meadow).  She thought she saw bees at the arrival platform, so she didn't disembark, and instead zipped back to middle of the cable stretch.   A man was zipping from the starting place, and plowed into her.  She fell and died.  It seems to me; even if a person bumped hard into her, she should have stayed in her harness while safely clipped to the cable. I don't know all the details.

Not sure whether its the same story, but I do recall a report from CM ziplines where some petite Chinese ladies were getting stuck in the muddle of the ziplines, not having enough weight to carry them to the end , so they put two Chinese girls into the same harness . They went so fast and when they got to the end, came to an abrupt stop, that one girl broke her neck and died instantly, causing her to fall out the harness 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

They have a strap you can pull to drop to your death? What could go wrong?

Sympathies to the relatives, this shouldn't happen.

I call Bullshit. I owned a parasail for years.  There shouldn't have been that 2nd guy climbing up onto the rig. Looks more like that guy released the harness and killed him.

10 hours ago, mickyboy said:

little did they know that the person filming it would not see them alive again talk about when your time is up even say another 20 yards out to sea he may have survived as water deeper we never know whats round the corner

two-minute video was recorded by Budsabong Thongsangka, Mr Hussey's wife.

6 hours ago, Rsquared said:

The Thai guy balancing in the rigging is to steer the parachute.....especially for landing, as for most passengers it is their first time and they don't have the awareness (due to the thrill of a whole new experience) to control the canopy for a landing.

Bullshit. There's nothing to steer. Most (probably all) parasails are static. No steering. You might be able to pull on the risers, if it has any,

But it really isn't necessary. When the boat stops you settle gently into the water. That idiot in the rigging is prima facia evidence of both negligence and stupidity. 

Police said they were preparing charges against the parasailing business owner.

The crew member was being interrogated.

Mr Hussey, 71, was based in Perth and was on the board of numerous companies and not-for profits, including Landgate WA, WA Neuroscience Research Institute and the Bali Eye Foundation. 

He had been holidaying with his wife in northern Thailand and Phuket and they were due to return to Australia on Friday.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/australian-tourist-roger-hussey-falls-to-death-while-parasailing-in-phuket-thailand-20170712-gxa4eu.html

10 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

yes ....  but that strap is only for the suiciders ...   not for general use  ...:shock1:

Australian tourist Roger Hussey falls to death while parasailing in Phuket, Thailand

AAPNews Corp Australia Network

A PROMINENT Perth businessman holidaying in Thailand has fallen to his death while parasailing in waters off the resort island of Phuket, with his wife reportedly filming the fatal fall.

Thai media reports Roger John Hussey, 71, plunged more than 30 metres into the sea after his harness apparently failed shortly after lifting off from the Kata Beach, 860 kilometres south from Bangkok, on Wednesday.

The video, posted on Facebook and reportedly filmed by his wife Budsabong Thongsangka, shows Mr Hussey on shore smiling as he is strapped into safety gear.

Full story: http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/australian-tourist-roger-hussey-falls-to-death-while-parasailing-in-phuket-thailand/news-story/d951d2ca5221c24dddbffab6568ebefc

news_comau_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright News.com.au 2017-07-13

West Australian businessman killed in Thailand parasailing accident on island of Phuket

A prominent West Australian businessman has died in a parasailing accident at a beach on the island of Phuket in Thailand.

Reports in local media said the man had accidentally unstrapped his harness while in the air on Wednesday causing him to fall into the water. 

Beachgoers rushed him to shore, but he was pronounced dead in hospital. The man's wife reportedly filmed the accident.

Full story: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-13/australian-man-reportedly-killed-in-thailand-accident/8703938

-- ABC NEWS 2017-07-13

apart from the obvious issues of the equipment  - they should not be doing this over shallow water just in case something fails, but it is all part of the advertising and showmanship to keep people interested

RIP 

11 hours ago, Cashboy said:

Why did they not tighten the lower straps?

Have a look at 1:30 min

I was thinking this as he took off. I sure as hell would've been complaining if straps were hanging loose but I guess old mate didn't have a clue and expected the staff to double check everything. The safety operator seemed a little blase too. 

I find it difficult to understand, that a safety harness used for people to parasail 100s of feet over water, can inadvertently pull a strap that releases the harness...

It's mind boggling!.......Thailand has so many fatal incidents at resorts...both above the water and below!

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

:shock1:

Good grief.

When I did this (eons ago, when still young) only the paying customer went up.

I think even then, I would have balked at going up with someone balancing on the strings above me. Bizarre.,,and as we have just seen, of no help should anything go wrong.

To be fair, 'in this case of no help', but we really have no idea how often they solve small problems becoming bigger problems.

It has been  priority to clear the beaches from vendors and deck chairs 2 years ago.

This scum along with the jet ski thugs never stopped operating and kill people ( never saw a deck chair killing anyone ).

Just wonder how much cash from their pockets flows where to ?

12 hours ago, Dave67 said:

They need Safety Health In Thailand or SHIT as they are known as to look at it

First of all RIP old timer.

Safety and Thailand are 2 words that do not match here, unfortunately. 

Safety Health In Thailand Explained or <deleted>..............They really are a danger to themselves, but this is truly a sad event. RIP

1.jpg

A proper Parasailing harness does NOT have any clips that could easily be undone. It might have big dog clips as on a skydiving harness or a pilots chute, but these are around the legs and are impossible to undo when in the air.  All connections are under load and will not come undone.  It is obvious that the leg straps were not done up.  A good harness would also have a chest strap. Bet his one didnt.

I have just read the Daily Express and there are photos of him taken by his wife and the harness is done up and there is a chest strap,. However the harness looks like it must be 30 years old ! Should have been thrown away years ago. No safety requirements or checks on equipment.  

11 hours ago, Cashboy said:

Why did they not tighten the lower straps?

Have a look at 1:30 min

When I saw this video, I though to myself, this guy is even strapped in correctly. The harness just didn't look like it was enough, and no strapping between his legs, really???

What a joke this system is. No safety standards whatsoever.

These guys will probably be up and running again within he week.

RIP to this man, and condolences to his family

10 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The worst part is seeing how happy he looks just before take off.

I don't think his age had the least to do with it (and he looks a pretty fit man). From the video on the Bangkok post website it is abundantly clear that something went wrong in strapping him in. The man who was fitting his harness gets pulled up into the air with him, apparently before he was through. He then sort of climbs up the ropes above the man and it looks like he briefly is hanging on to the man with his bare hands.

Looks to me like the take off was premature and he wasn't fully strapped in yet.

And from the description of how he died, sounds like he sustained a spinal cord or head injury, likely the former.

I agree likely something wrong with the strapping.

I have done this before on the same beach around 1 year plus ago. Maybe the same people but not sure on that. All the "customer" need do is hang on tightly.

I recall hurt my hands a little after finishing as I kept my grip very strong.

It is for the guide atop the customer to maneuver the sail going up and coming down.

I will not be trying it again.... 

So sorry for the deceased and his family....

Ever since doing some hastily trained for parachute drops in Australia, I have a natural distrust of this excitement technology. Everyone was so jazzed at the whole thing and I was thinking why are people so happy, I had only just "grasped" the emergency procedures and I was the most together of about 10 people. Six months later they "bounced" a student. To death. 

It can happen anywhere. He obviously wasn't trained properly. This should be a general warning to others, PARTICULARLY in places like Thailand. Take a look at the people "selling" the rides and make a choice. Anyway, I'm also 70  and I was contemplating doing some of this, but you have to choose your venue with care. 

And by the way to those a. holes who scoff at "us" septuagenarians having fun, I can swim two lengths of a 30 meter pool underwater on one breath hold and surf 8-10 foot waves on a short board so think again about "old" age. 

Something else is also possible in Asia that keeps me young besides tai chi and yoga, but I won't go into that. 5555555

Terrible... personally I stopped all potentially dangerous activities at 50 (water rafting, jet skis etc.). My memory isn't what it was and i do get confused sometimes so at 70+?  I'm sorry but no way should he have been doing that  RiP  and if it had to happen I wish it was quicker for him as I understand he survived at first?

13 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

surely they could devise a better system; perhaps two straps that must be pulled simultaneously

My guess is not a design flaw but he wasn't fastened in properly from the get go..easy to blame the deceased for an error...expert witnesses would unravel this if an operator cover up...

why are you guys buying what the operator says is fact? Needs an independent investigation not involving police nor tourism industry ...

18 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

My guess is not a design flaw but he wasn't fastened in properly from the get go..easy to blame the deceased for an error...expert witnesses would unravel this if an operator cover up...

why are you guys buying what the operator says is fact? Needs an independent investigation not involving police nor tourism industry ...

All there captured on video. It looks like he wasn't strapped in correctly or sufficiently.

13 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Is there not any age.limit on these potential death traps. In one way I admire the adventure of the 70 year old. Is it wise ... no

When was the last parasailing death in Thailand?

Archived