Aussie Man Falls To Death From Parasail On Phuket Beach

snoop1130

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either way, the parasail company should be held responsible for this

- if he pulled the wrong cord by mistake why was it so accessible and why no training

- more likely perhaps, he was strapped in incorrectly

but probably we will never know and the parasail company will not pay a baht

TAT needs to invest in some more Spin Doctors or better -- needs some serious HSE training/licensing/inspecting

The worst part is seeing how happy he looks just before take off.

I don't think his age had the least to do with it (and he looks a pretty fit man). From the video on the Bangkok post website it is abundantly clear that something went wrong in strapping him in. The man who was fitting his harness gets pulled up into the air with him, apparently before he was through. He then sort of climbs up the ropes above the man and it looks like he briefly is hanging on to the man with his bare hands.

Looks to me like the take off was premature and he wasn't fully strapped in yet.

And from the description of how he died, sounds like he sustained a spinal cord or head injury, likely the former.

24 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

From the video on the Bangkok post website it is abundantly clear that something went wrong in strapping him in. The man who was fitting his harness gets pulled up into the air with him, apparently before he was through. He then sort of climbs up the ropes above the man and it looks like he briefly is hanging on to the man with his bare hands.

Normal here on Phuket. Sometimes 3 guys on 1 parasail and min. 1 bare handed.

Why did they not tighten the lower straps?

Have a look at 1:30 min

That to me seems to be the excess strap after tightening. When the tension is taken up with the boat, the webbing that attaches the canopy to the body harness pulls the chest strap away from the body, making the holding clip easier to open, does that make sense?

Throw sheer panic into the scenario, can't see what the Thai guy does or what he tells him to do, if anything.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Require all operators to keep a log and disclose number of flights/number of deaths/number of serious injuries, sight of which should be signed off by the customer. That would probably arrive at an appropriate sizing for that particular industry in Thailand!

We have a brain for a reason. I never put my life in anyones hands except when I fly, use public transport or undergo surgery. I also get my thrills from, sex, playing guitar, and online gaming only. I don't see the sense of rock climbing unless you're a commando about to take out an enemy pill box at the top of a cliff. Likewise I would never use a  parachute unless my plane was going down in flames.

A true and proper investigation would reveal whether the equipment was able to have a "quick release" lever, or if not, the passenger was not correctly harnessed, or the actual webbing of the harness gave way due to fatigue....apart from that, I can't think of any other possible cause. Not good.

1 hour ago, schlog said:

Normal here on Phuket. Sometimes 3 guys on 1 parasail and min. 1 bare handed.

:shock1:

Good grief.

When I did this (eons ago, when still young) only the paying customer went up.

I think even then, I would have balked at going up with someone balancing on the strings above me. Bizarre.,,and as we have just seen, of no help should anything go wrong.

8 minutes ago, MRDave said:

We have a brain for a reason. I never put my life in anyones hands except when I fly, use public transport or undergo surgery. I also get my thrills from, sex, playing guitar, and online gaming only. I don't see the sense of rock climbing unless you're a commando about to take out an enemy pill box at the top of a cliff. Likewise I would never use a  parachute unless my plane was going down in flames.

Is this just a recent avoidance of fun in life or have you always been a bit of a non risk taker? Although a parasail in Kata wouldn't be something I would be interested in, so we will agree about that... And yes having some control over what you're doing, if you know what you're doing, is a good thing as well. Cheers! Enjoy!

These boat operators are a danger. How many people have been hit by their boat propellers over the past several years? I know I've read about a few at this same beach! Jet ski crashes too. Ah let's go for a nice relaxing holiday at the beach and get killed by some local that thinks he's entitled to operate a business on a public beach. Oh well, preaching to the choir, nothing will change unless someone REALLY important gets killed, then it will forgotten about  in a year or two and then back to the same old same!

The Thai guy balancing in the rigging is to steer the parachute.....especially for landing, as for most passengers it is their first time and they don't have the awareness (due to the thrill of a whole new experience) to control the canopy for a landing.

Archived