Aussie Man Falls To Death From Parasail On Phuket Beach

snoop1130

13 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

They have a strap you can pull to drop to your death? What could go wrong?

Sympathies to the relatives, this shouldn't happen.

And of course the parachute sail operators had all the proper insurances along with their fail safe harness.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When undertaking such a risky activity, is the entire responsibility on the operator?

IMHO, the customer also should be knowledgeable /experienced to some extent.

clearly the crew is not at fault and will be released later without bail and no charges. The police will conclude ywt another foreigner deliberately used the parasailingas a method for suicide and we won't hear anymore about it. 

Seriously though! I have never parasailed but i didn't know they would have a quick release so easily accessible while in the air... 

Csn any experts put forth their kkowledge on this to clarify? 

I have seen people in Phuket Patong Beach being dropped into the tree that line the beach road and then slide down to the ground. "bang crash".  On one occasion when I witnessed  the towing boat operator was calling out to his assistant "Is she dead" she did sort of sit up after a while, then after 20 min walked away to go to hospital, nice young lady...yes alive (thick as 2 planks) TIT.?..they boat operators think it's funny.   If the wind drops, speeds up or changes direction when trying to land a customer on the beach  well anything can happen  TIT?

1 hour ago, Maggusoil said:

Ever since doing some hastily trained for parachute drops in Australia, I have a natural distrust of this excitement technology. Everyone was so jazzed at the whole thing and I was thinking why are people so happy, I had only just "grasped" the emergency procedures and I was the most together of about 10 people. Six months later they "bounced" a student. To death. 

It can happen anywhere. He obviously wasn't trained properly. This should be a general warning to others, PARTICULARLY in places like Thailand. Take a look at the people "selling" the rides and make a choice. Anyway, I'm also 70  and I was contemplating doing some of this, but you have to choose your venue with care. 

And by the way to those a. holes who scoff at "us" septuagenarians having fun, I can swim two lengths of a 30 meter pool underwater on one breath hold and surf 8-10 foot waves on a short board so think again about "old" age. 

Something else is also possible in Asia that keeps me young besides tai chi and yoga, but I won't go into that. 5555555

You are not old. Your in good shape and the number associated with your age (in your case especially) is not indicative of an elder.  Those of us that never quit life at the gym, sea or 25 / 50m lap pool, will (with a bit of luck) undoubtedly continue to make our lives an adventure. 

14 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

They have a strap you can pull to drop to your death? What could go wrong?

Sympathies to the relatives, this shouldn't happen.

It brings this old Far Side cartoon to mind...

what-site-changes-do.jpg

hmmm......surprised this hasn't happened before.... given the gold standards of safety observed by the operators of these things( just sit for a few moments on Pattaya's main beach and watch the parasailing....if you don't believe me)

I have done parasailing a couple of times and seriously you cant just fall out of one of those harnesses, firstly you put it on like a pair of trousers, stepping into a loop for either leg, the harness does up around your chest and under your arms etc.

There is a release mechanism across your chest, but this is not really accessible due to the life jacket on top. Even if you release the mechanism your body weight is still holding you in the harness , you would need to tip upside down to then come out of the harness.

I have watched the clip 20 times now and it would appear that the guy, instead of dangling from the main chute straps as you are supposed to, appears to have the main straps under his arms. 

Although its not clear, it appears the guy still has the harness on when falling, which to me would suggest he has maybe gone into a mad panic and tried to get off, unclipping the shoulder cleats etc.

Tragic event, quite harrowing to watch the video and must have been awful for his wife to watch things unfold.

Be interesting to hear from a harness expert - which I am not - but the video does possibly suggest the groin straps were not fastened. I can see a strap underside his bum, but nothing around the legs or groin to provide a 'seat' to hold his weight. There appears to be two loose straps flapping around either side of his groin.

The gentleman would then have had the parasail pulling up on his shoulders but no support underneath. Possibly manageable with arms tight at chest level but as soon as they were moved or raised above head height, gravity will take over. At 2.30 in the vid, I believe you can see him put his arms out sideways which is immediately followed by his slip from the harness.

34 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

clearly the crew is not at fault and will be released later without bail and no charges. The police will conclude ywt another foreigner deliberately used the parasailingas a method for suicide and we won't hear anymore about it. 

Seriously though! I have never parasailed but i didn't know they would have a quick release so easily accessible while in the air... 

Csn any experts put forth their kkowledge on this to clarify? 

When you posted you were wrong already:

Surely there should be a safety lock thing on that is screw locked.

you can be sure that the glider safety boat sped out to him and they just pull him in, maybe he had quite a few breaks and poss brocken neck they would just pull him in and cause the death. 

Archived