BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Death of Australian man parasailing in Phuket - two Thai men charged with negligence

Death of Australian man parasailing in Phuket - two Thai men charged with negligence

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

PHUKET: -- Phuket police have charged the boat operator and his parasailing sidekick with negligence after the death of a 71 year old Australian tourist yesterday.

Roger John Hussey plummeted to the sea just off Kata beach after he became detached from a harness as he was dragged by a boat. A video showed him falling around 70 meters into shallow water.

He was rushed to Patong Hospital but died later from his injuries.

Yesterday Karon police interviewed the boat driver Monthian Jandaeng, 45, and 38 year old Rungroj Rakcheep who went up behind the victim on the parasail.

Daily News reported that the equipment was faulty and that the necessary certification to operate such a business was not in order.

Both men have been charged with negligence.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-13

something went badly wrong 2 men went up one fell.equipment aways needs checking.rip for the fallen man

Finally some truth to my theory of negligence on faulty equipment and not what I previously read, i.e. that the deceased pulled the hook which releases you.

So now what, a 500 baht fine each and 2 day suspension from going up again, more than likely IMO.

RIP to the digger, got to feel for his family, a holiday gone tragically wrong because of the relaxed regulations and laws, again IMO, in the Land of Smiles.

I also suspect that if he had any life insurance, they will be looking for an exit clause due to going up in the chute, hope that's not the case as that would just compound things for his widow and family.

3 minutes ago, ThatFarangJack said:

Being charged with negligence on failing to secure that there was no video evidence. If there was no video I doubt these men would be charged.

Perhaps you missed a line:

Daily News reported that the equipment was faulty and that the necessary certification to operate such a business was not in order.

Who needs video evidence of that ?

What you have to worry about is the sentence they will get, or lack if it.

This is getting extensive coverage on all Australian TV news channels today. Very bad publicity for Phuket and Thai tourism

There is a 2nd mistake: why the thai man behind the australian was not attached ?

We can see on the video that he's trying to save the passenger ... with one hand ?

9 minutes ago, Spellforce said:

There is a 2nd mistake: why the thai man behind the australian was not attached ?

We can see on the video that he's trying to save the passenger ... with one hand ?

I could not believe that either. I watched it again in disbelief. The 'guide' is behind the client holding on to a couple sticks and pushing for liftoff and once up then maneuvers closer to the client. I assume he "hooks up" at that point. Maybe he does not? Maybe the cowboys hang on for the ride? either way, it is seems wrong.

How about arresting the Thai officials who allowed these guys to operate?  Seems like a failure due to the Thai authorities negligence???

No tandem harness and rigging, pilot and passenger. Was the chute designed for tandem?

"safety first" .   LMAO

"Daily News reported that the equipment was faulty and that the necessary certification to operate such a business was not in order."

What a shocker.

People need to realise; if it has anything to do with safety equipment or training, don't do it in Thailand.

If life gets boring, put it in a Thai's hands. The Thai officials who allowed these guys to operate should return the tea money and get arrested with no chance to fetch an inactive post.

Rip and sad. :sad:

Great tragedy, but i can see people running sincerely after the accident.

I am wondering what the second person who went one from back instructed the first one.

Lost in translation ? :shock1:

35 minutes ago, Minnehaha said:

I could not believe that either. I watched it again in disbelief. The 'guide' is behind the client holding on to a couple sticks and pushing for liftoff and once up then maneuvers closer to the client. I assume he "hooks up" at that point. Maybe he does not? Maybe the cowboys hang on for the ride? either way, it is seems wrong.

I've done that before and scares me to watch that video.

It is unconventional but a "navigator" flies with the client. He stirs the chute by tugging on the ropes because there is no way the client can stir himself back to shore against the wind and with the boat out at sea.

The "navigator" just holds on and sometimes would wrap his legs around the flyers' chest area just to get leverage. 

What i see here is that there is no way the man could have unhooked or unfastened the harness himself. His sheer weight would not allow that. It could have been a rip in the worn out harness.

This is a disaster and traumatic to his companions.

RIP old man.

5 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

something went badly wrong 2 men went up one fell.equipment aways needs checking.rip for the fallen man

Wow- great deduction Sherlock!