Death of Australian man parasailing in Phuket - two Thai men charged with negligence

webfact

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... the equipment was faulty and that the necessary certification to operate such a business was not in order. ...

...Do you mean....'They were operating the business illegally, without permits or proper equipment, with total disregard of the law and the safety of tourists...'...?

...well why don't you say so.......!!!

...jeez....

... the equipment was faulty and that the necessary certification to operate such a business was not in order. ...

...Do you mean....'They were operating the business illegally, without permits or proper equipment, with total disregard of the law and the safety of tourists...'...?

...well why don't you say so.......!!!

...jeez....

Are you talking to me?

4 minutes ago, GaryB1263 said:

I doubt these men intended to hurt anyone. Just a horrible situation. 

You don't have to have "intent" to be guilty of a crime in killing someone.

There's "reckless disregard" that also becomes criminal, such as when a drunk driver gets into a fatal crash. They didn't intend to kill the other person, but the law and civil society determines that they acted with reckless disregard or negligence that led to the loss of life.

In this case, it would seem there was plenty of negligence and reckless disregard to go around.

33 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You don't have to have "intent" to be guilty of a crime in killing someone.

There's "reckless disregard" that also becomes criminal, such as when a drunk driver gets into a fatal crash. They didn't intend to kill the other person, but the law and civil society determines that they acted with reckless disregard or negligence that led to the loss of life.

In this case, it would seem there was plenty of negligence and reckless disregard to go around.

I know it TallGuy. But putting these men in jail will change nothing.

I have just been watching reports of this on the Thai nightly news and they are saying the guy panicked and unhooked himself, and was in fact still in the harness when he fell. In the video , on the news, it certainly looks like he still has the harness on.

According to local media reports both told police that Mr Hussey accidentally pulled a hook causing him to become detached from his harness. No explanation as to how Mr Hussey was able to ‘accidently’ unfasten his parasailing harness which was under a life vest secured with three clips was provided.

Other Australian reports say Mr Hussey had business interests worth $250 million dollars. Could be incentive enough for some people. 

Source: Chilling Video Captures Roger Hussey's Phuket Parasailing Death https://aecnewstoday.com/2017/chilling-video-captures-roger-husseys-phuket-parasailing-death/#ixzz4mifttJQ7 

2 minutes ago, bartender100 said:

It said shallow water somewhere, maybe if it had been deeper he may have survived

Water turns into a hard surface, if you land on it at high speed

Its the same as landing on concrete 

1 hour ago, GaryB1263 said:

I know it TallGuy. But putting these men in jail will change nothing.

It would change one thing, at least.

It would mean they won't be out on the beach tomorrow or the next day, etc etc. illegally operating an unlicensed parasailing business with apparently unsafe equipment. And perhaps, just perhaps, they won't be responsible for killing anyone else in the near future.

11 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Finally some truth to my theory of negligence on faulty equipment and not what I previously read, i.e. that the deceased pulled the hook which releases you.

So now what, a 500 baht fine each and 2 day suspension from going up again, more than likely IMO.

RIP to the digger, got to feel for his family, a holiday gone tragically wrong because of the relaxed regulations and laws, again IMO, in the Land of Smiles.

I also suspect that if he had any life insurance, they will be looking for an exit clause due to going up in the chute, hope that's not the case as that would just compound things for his widow and family.

Actually, you can commit suicide after the 2 year contestability period and still get the payout. This is based on U.S. law, so I don't know about his homeland laws.

39 minutes ago, Yme said:

According to local media reports both told police that Mr Hussey accidentally pulled a hook causing him to become detached from his harness. No explanation as to how Mr Hussey was able to ‘accidently’ unfasten his parasailing harness which was under a life vest secured with three clips was provided.

Other Australian reports say Mr Hussey had business interests worth $250 million dollars. Could be incentive enough for some people. 

Source: Chilling Video Captures Roger Hussey's Phuket Parasailing Death https://aecnewstoday.com/2017/chilling-video-captures-roger-husseys-phuket-parasailing-death/#ixzz4mifttJQ7 

I'm worth a LOT less than that and I wouldn't parasail. Nothing up there I ever wanted to see that I couldn't see from the beach or a boat. I don't get why someone w/ that kind of assets wouldn't have a healthy amount of paranoia.

3 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Turn up to the beach one day. Chat to beach mafia.
Pay daily mafia beach permit.
Bring boat, parachute and equipment.
Write "Parasailing 350 baht"
Along comes Roger.

You forgot that last zero.  More like 3500 baht for the quick 5 minute ride.  I see the guys are Karon beach doing this all day long and can't say I've ever seen any safety briefing, nor equipment checks.  Reel in the customers and go.  Lots of payoffs to local gov't guys to basically claim the beach as their own.  

1 hour ago, Yme said:

How on earth do you manage to infer a nonsense conspiracy theory with this accident?

Appalling post

9 hours ago, Minnehaha said:

I could not believe that either. I watched it again in disbelief. The 'guide' is behind the client holding on to a couple sticks and pushing for liftoff and once up then maneuvers closer to the client. I assume he "hooks up" at that point. Maybe he does not? Maybe the cowboys hang on for the ride? either way, it is seems wrong.

I watched the video in the Daily Mail newspaper. His family were watching at the time. Imagine how horrific that must have been for his kids seeing their Dad plummeting to his death like that, an image that`s going to haunt them forever. 

Watched another video and it`s true, the guides literally hang on for their lives onto a few ropes. It`s like walking a tightrope 70 metres in air without a safety net.

Can we really blame the operators when it seems nothing in Thailand comes under inspection or is regulated? I`ve no doubts if not shown on video and given international publicity,  then this would have been written off as just another tragic accident. Poor guy, poor family, very sad.

11 hours ago, Minnehaha said:

I could not believe that either. I watched it again in disbelief. The 'guide' is behind the client holding on to a couple sticks and pushing for liftoff and once up then maneuvers closer to the client. I assume he "hooks up" at that point. Maybe he does not? Maybe the cowboys hang on for the ride? either way, it is seems wrong.

The 'Sticks" are taut straps attached to the para lines, once airborne the guide does a quick flip so he's sitting on the straps, something that you'd do after gaining confidence from doing multiple rides.  

My guess, although I can't be sure is that the crotch strap failed and the old dude dropped out of the bottom of the harness.   It's possible the crotch strap was crushing his nuts and he tried to adjust it.

18 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

something went badly wrong 2 men went up one fell.equipment aways needs checking.rip for the fallen man

But what will happen to these 2 operators. Small fine. Never be allowed to operate again. Boat sold and equipement and money given to family. Jail time ? 

18 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

something went badly wrong 2 men went up one fell.equipment aways needs checking.rip for the fallen man

Archived