Briton Arrested For Spray Painting Chiang Mai Railway Station

webfact

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
C'mon people, didn't you do anything like this, in broad daylight, in a foreign country, run by a xenophobic military, at 38 years old?

No I was still living with my parents and would have been put in house arrest if I did somethng like that.

8 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

C'mon people, didn't you do anything like this, in broad daylight, in a foreign country, run by a xenophobic military, at 38 years old?

18 years old,  28 years old,  38 years old,  48 years old,  58 years old and counting!  This is hardly worth getting peoples knickers in a twist over is it?  Just consider the horrendous stuff that goes on in Thailand every day, much of which is reported on Thai Visa.

Is there any public building anywhere in Thailand that isn't downright ugly - and often painted in the most bizarre of paint/colour combinations - from the ourtset?  Aesthetics seem to have undettones of the psychotic in rural or urtban environments.. Yet here on TVF ultra-conservatives rush to embrace and protect original paintwork - I don't believe much planning is applied - that amounts to public disfigurements or eyesores foisted on the public by authorities. Maybe the poor Brit's artistic sensibilities finally succumbed and his aesthetic neurons simply imploded as a consequence of excessive exposure to the public ugliness that pervades most towns here.

22 minutes ago, sandemara said:

Is there any public building anywhere in Thailand that isn't downright ugly - and often painted in the most bizarre of paint/colour combinations - from the ourtset?  Aesthetics seem to have undettones of the psychotic in rural or urtban environments.. Yet here on TVF ultra-conservatives rush to embrace and protect original paintwork - I don't believe much planning is applied - that amounts to public disfigurements or eyesores foisted on the public by authorities. Maybe the poor Brit's artistic sensibilities finally succumbed and his aesthetic neurons simply imploded as a consequence of excessive exposure to the public ugliness that pervades most towns here.

Having lived in Chiang Mai for many years I have to say that I found that there was a mix of some very pleasing architecture mixed with some pretty awful stuff. I quite like the mix.  However I have also travelled in many countries where the architectural landscape is absolutely dire, especially in eastern Europe.

20 hours ago, dunroaming said:

18 years old,  28 years old,  38 years old,  48 years old,  58 years old and counting!  This is hardly worth getting peoples knickers in a twist over is it?  Just consider the horrendous stuff that goes on in Thailand every day, much of which is reported on Thai Visa.

I agree.

He was adding his artwork to a wall that was already designated for such art.

It might be termed graffiti but it is not knocking down people and not stopping: or hurting a 5 year old by deliberately scalding him is it; or dumping trash into the river or forest?

I personally would not do it but I've done things here that I could be deported for.

He probably sought permission to express his artwork but misunderstood the station master's reply.

Let's all get a life!

On 7/14/2017 at 11:40 AM, Essaybloke said:

Oh yeah! Shoot them, twice ........but very, very slowly.

Then hang 'em, rape and deport 'em.

(Oh cane 'em should be in there somewhere too). 

Assuming irony or am making too many assumptions as I appear to have done with the self confessed retired judge in an earliearlier post. One never knows on tv unfortunately! 

On 7/14/2017 at 10:10 AM, Chris Lawrence said:

It is.

The cave dwellers did it. 

As is pop art, op art, installation art, and performance art but I doubt the typical contributors on here would agree.

As another poster mentioned that particular building has been daubed with rubbish graffiti for yonks. Maybe the British gentleman was trying to enhance it?!

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I agree.

He was adding his artwork to a wall that was already designated for such art.

It might be termed graffiti but it is not knocking down people and not stopping: or hurting a 5 year old by deliberately scalding him is it; or dumping trash into the river or forest?

I personally would not do it but I've done things here that I could be deported for.

He probably sought permission to express his artwork but misunderstood the station master's reply.

Let's all get a life!

Absolutely! Seems many on here really don't have much of a life here and should get out a lot lot more or perhaps get out of here entirely! 

On 7/13/2017 at 7:58 PM, Thechook said:

What a piece of garbage and at 38 he should be over immature ways.  Vandals should be put up against the wall and shot

Harumph! Good show ol 'bean. Spoken like any decent authoritarian in a military dictatorship. If your wife/boyfriend uses cosmetics, do the same rules apply?

2 minutes ago, sandemara said:

Harumph! Good show ol 'bean. Spoken like any decent authoritarian in a military dictatorship. If your wife/boyfriend uses cosmetics, do the same rules apply?

Depends if they splash it on someone else s walls...:stoner:

On 7/14/2017 at 11:08 AM, Penicillin said:

You make to many assumptions 

"were" no, current , yes 

"open minded" yes , but perhaps unlike you,  I do believe in the rule of law. 

Capital punishment does exist for homicide cases and the jury makes the decision. 

Since I don't drive when I am in Thailand , it's doubful I will be making any minor motoring offense. 

I've already been in a Thai jail and the Bangkok Hilton ....to observe , as a guest of the Thai Minister of Justice that was in one of my law classes in the USA. 

oh ! You're from the US - explains everything!

If it was within my power to do so, I would make him repaint the wall, then have him work in a very uncomfortable labouring environment such as road building or jungle clearing, before shipping him back home. Graffiti is simply vandalism and if tolerated, can only lead to more serious disregard for any laws.

It nice to come to Thailand to get away from this trash one finds in ones own country. Vandelising the beauty that gives pleasure to others is unacceptable. He should have been sent to prison as well or immediately thrown out of the country. He probably speeks fluent English, but is more likely Polish with that name.

Archived