Briton survives three days in the jungle after Samui waterfall plunge

Jonathan Fairfield

Briton survives three days in the jungle after Samui waterfall plunge

s1.png

Image: Sanook

KOH SAMUI:-- A British man who fell at a Koh Samui waterfall was found yesterday after being missing for three days.

Gerrard Paul Greenhoff, 38, (name transliterated) broke his right leg and could not move. He survived by drinking stream water.

He was only found after a local in Mae Nam saw a motorbike parked near a path leading down to the Khun Sri falls.

Police checked the plate of the bike with rental shops and found it had been rented to the missing man. It still took several hours to locate him in the seldom visited and isolated area.

He was found totally exhausted by a stream. He had eaten nothing for three days.

Medics in the search party immediately put him on a drip as he was carefully carried out of the area via a steep path.

It took more than two hours to bring him up and ferry him to International Koh Samui Hospital.

Doctors said he was in a serious condition but responsive.

Sanook reported that it was lucky that a local had seen his bike or the tourist may have died at the scene.

Though the falls are small the area is not monitored or look after by any officials.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-13

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Certainly his critical condition was not caused by lack of food? Probably more to do with heat exhaustion and the injuries he sustained.

In a 1997 editorial in the British Medical Journal, Peel briefly reviewed the available literature regarding human starvation. Generally, it appears as though humans can survive without any food for 30-40 days, as long as they are properly hydrated. Severe symptoms of starvation begin around 35-40 days, and as highlighted by the hunger strikers of the Maze Prison in Belfast in the 1980s, death can occur at around  45­ to 61 days.

11 hours ago, pumpjack said:

good job by local thais and emergency services ,  oh .......and for once the police :clap2:

Why wasn't the area checked  after the first night of seeing the abandoned motorbike?

5 minutes ago, csabo said:

Why wasn't the area checked  after the first night of seeing the abandoned motorbike?

I know this place... it is a small remote waterfall at the end of a 3 Km dirt track. The only people to go there would be the OCCASIONAL passing farmer checking on their Coconuts and Durian. 

This guy was lucky !.... when I visited there with some friends it looked like the track hadn't been used for weeks....

Pretty stupid to go there alone.

Judging by the amount of Tripadvisor reviews and the "Certficate of Excellence" I find it a bit strange that nobody found him earlier. It's just off the main road from Lamai to Mae Nam. Was he hiking there through the jungle or something?

Poor coverage inland, especially when in a gorge. But seriously, there must be more to this story. There is a huge viewing platform 5 minutes before the falls and some reviews go like

We stopped of to see the waterfall whilst on an island tour,it was very busy,great little shops for souvenirs well worth a visit,we would have liked to stay longer

51 minutes ago, wump said:

Poor coverage inland, especially when in a gorge. But seriously, there must be more to this story. There is a huge viewing platform 5 minutes before the falls and some reviews go like

We stopped of to see the waterfall whilst on an island tour,it was very busy,great little shops for souvenirs well worth a visit,we would have liked to stay longer

That's sounds like Namuang 2, another waterfall.

Definition of stupid

1. 1a :  slow of mind :  obtuseb :  given to unintelligent decisions or acts :  acting in an unintelligent or careless mannerc :  lacking intelligence or reason :  brutish

2. 2:  dulled in feeling or sensation :  torpid still stupidfrom the sedative

3. 3:  marked by or resulting from unreasoned thinking or acting :  senseless a stupid decision

1 hour ago, wump said:

Judging by the amount of Tripadvisor reviews and the "Certficate of Excellence" I find it a bit strange that nobody found him earlier. It's just off the main road from Lamai to Mae Nam. Was he hiking there through the jungle or something?

It's not on the main road, it's on the shortcut road through the mountains.

If I want to go from Lamai to Mae Nam, I take the jungle route so for me it's kind of a main road. Pretty well built and I am not quite sure why not more people are taking it during the daytime.

Archived