Pattaya's sea - nothing short of an environmental disaster zone

webfact

Pattaya's sea - nothing short of an environmental disaster zone

pp.jpg

Picture: video screenshot

PATTAYA -- Sophon Cable TV reported that the sea around South Pattaya was nothing short of an environmental disaster zone.

They made a video and spoke to frustrated tourism operators who said their businesses were going down the pan at an alarming rate.

The video showed the disgusting black water and sludge and a huge amount of stinking rubbish and effluent polluting a 300 meter stretch of the shore.

And this time there was no convenient plankton to blame for the mess.

Nobody was anywhere near the beach and deckchair operators, massage personnel and traders were fed up that virtually nothing is being done to address the problem and save their businesses.

The only effort to clear up is some sweepers who arrive in the morning.

Nothing is being done to address the problem of sewage flowing into the sea, especially during the rainy season, they said.

Many felt that it was time for the tourism authorities who have such big plans for the resort to take a look for themselves at the disgraceful state of the beach and the sea in Pattaya and start working on some answers.

Source: Sophon Cable

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-14

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, webfact said:

Many felt that it was time for the tourism authorities who have such big plans for the resort to take a look for themselves at the

disgraceful state of the beach and the sea in Pattaya and start working on some answers.

Should have been done 30+ years ago, but they've all been too busy just raping the place for money.

They are just too busy, a situation just over their heads, building toll booths, widening Beach Road, putting up cross walk signals that have all been abandon, painting impressive color traffic lines and stops for Songthaw, digging a tunnel that is behind schedule, but the BIB, are setting up stings for violators who are tired of waiting for it to open. Now they are planning a light rail system all at a cost of millions/billions. While Pattaya continues to grow with no real master plan to improve the system as they continue to add to the sewer.

15 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

They are just too busy, a situation just over their heads, building toll booths, widening Beach Road, putting up cross walk signals that have all been abandon, painting impressive color traffic lines and stops for Songthaw, digging a tunnel that is behind schedule, but the BIB, are setting up stings for violators who are tired of waiting for it to open. Now they are planning a light rail system all at a cost of millions/billions. While Pattaya continues to grow with no real master plan to improve the system as they continue to add to the sewer.

What are you talking about ????? Due to all the recent changes  Pattaya is now classified a world class tourist resort????? WORLD CLASS God help us if its true!!!!!

I recall seeing a plaque halfway down the beach stating that Pattaya Beach had been voted the cleanest beach in S.E.Asia. Hilarious ! Instead of hassling the bars, the authorities should be spending more time and effort limiting the amount of sewage being directed to the beach.

That's the trouble with clearing the beach of umbrellas and chairs.

Now we can see just how filthy and disgusting the beach there really is.

Guess who has been at least trying to keep it clean, yep, those operators that are now gone.

We walked to the southern end of Cozy Beach a few years ago and you could see the oily sludge built up on the water from the current. Never swam there again.

hmmmm..... i went to this beach 10 years ago and it was self-evident then that it was a disaster zone. I guess it has only taken the authorities that many years to wake up to this fact(muted applause)

2 minutes ago, KC 71 said:

Most of the seas are quite clean here,depending on your location that is !

I've been on every beach from Naklua down to Bang Saray many times over the past 10 years.  Quite clean is not how I would describe them.  Especially the water clarity.

We took a boat trip to  Ko Phai this past weekend.  As normal, the sea was filled with trash.  Our guests were absolutely shocked.  But, I'll only swim when I'm off shore.

We live on a bay that's fed by 2 big rivers and several smaller ones.  It will never be crystal clear.  But dumping raw sewage and trash into the rivers and sea doesn't help. LOL

Thais discard filth everywhere, ever seen how they sweep their own properties while pushing garbage away from their property line. Drive away from tourist areas just a short distance and you will see ditches filled with trash, this is their way of life this is how they were educated by their parents and schools. Saddest reality is that they don't even see the problem until it hits them in their pockets.15 yes ago tourist complained about Pattaya beaches and nothing was done so no we see the magnified issue 

42 minutes ago, Thechook said:

You would never get me into the disgusting ocean in Thailand.  The seas are putrid and you would have to be suicidal.

There is no ocean or sea in Pattaya.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

deckchair operators, massage personnel and traders were fed up that virtually nothing is being done to address the problem and save their businesses

and having said their piece they casually tossed the styrofoam box after eating breakfast.

10 years ago, during my discharge interview by a Thai doctor at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, he recommended that I NEVER go swimming in the sea anywhere near Pattaya. He was convinced that the water was polluted by so many pathogens that it represented a serious health hazard. 

Proper waste and wastewater management is what Thailand  desperately needs, rather than submarines and high-speed trains!

I have seen the same kind of dirty beaches and black colored water several places in Thailand. Even in Khao Lak.  This has stopped my frequent visits to the beaches of Thailand and will eventually be the death of Thailands profitable tourism-industry.  Thailand is killing the goose that laid the golden eggs.

51 minutes ago, blazes said:

You are in Khonkaen-on-Sea, then?

Actually the nearest beach in Khon Kaen is quite clean, and so is the water.

Mind, not salt water but fresh water.

But it might be called Khon Kaen beach.

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

While Pattaya continues to grow with no real master plan to improve the system as they continue to add to the sewer.

Pattaya has outgrown itself and the infrastructure has not yet caught up. It has grown from a small fishing village into the world's sex capital in just 50 years. Too late now. Move the sex down the coast to the other "secret sex town" but put the infrastructure in first!

Nong Khai has black filth being pumped direct into the Mekong. 

Environmentally this is a disaster, and the local government does have the responsibility. However has anyone in the media asked these beach vendors who are complaining, how much income tax they pay? Or if they would be prepared to contribute towards the cost of cleaning up the beach. I have seen several time Foreigners being praised for helping to clean up beaches/streets in Thailand, maybe it's about time the beach vendors did the same. 

Archived