Pattaya's sea - nothing short of an environmental disaster zone

webfact

1 hour ago, everett kendall said:

There is a creek that runs behind some buildings across the street from Bali Hai. If you saw it you would not believe it, black water and garbage. Sure it empties in the sea.

And where does the garbage come from??????

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

difficult to have any sympathy for the beach operators, when the tide goes out broken bottles and rusty cans can be seen everywhere. not a big job to keep their part of the beach clean but they dont and complain that  nobody will do it for them for free, poor things. as far as the pollution, at the south end of pattaya beach, most of that is because the sewer over flows into the sea when it floods. definitely dont recommend swimming in the wet season but its not so bad when it hasnt rained for a few weeks

15 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

And where does the garbage come from??????

All over.  From stuff on the roads that get washed into the storm drains, to the trash fisherman dump every day to even tour boats.  We saw a tour boat not long ago just dump everything into the sea on their return trip back to port.  Couldn't get the video working quickly enough to capture it on camera.

35 minutes ago, RussellGSXR said:

Environmentally this is a disaster, and the local government does have the responsibility. However has anyone in the media asked these beach vendors who are complaining, how much income tax they pay? Or if they would be prepared to contribute towards the cost of cleaning up the beach. I have seen several time Foreigners being praised for helping to clean up beaches/streets in Thailand, maybe it's about time the beach vendors did the same. 

The chair vendors do keep their areas clean. Have you ever been to Pattaya?

Read recently that many of the bars on Walking Street are not hooked up to the sewer and they dump their poop right into the ocean.  Private industry is spending huge amounts of money on Pattaya.  The city really needs to get it in gear and start spending money on what is important rather than wasting money on flashy so-called 'improvements' that add little. 

Everyone is right, it just gets worse and worse each year, something needs to be done.

The other day I was walking on the Jomtien beachfront, saw this beautiful bin area, different colored bins for different rubbish and recycling, only thing was all the bins were turned up side down and no one could use them. What's the point having the bins and not being able to use them?

Black, toxic, smelly beach, many bars closed during the day, working gals arrested near the beach, or forced out of public view,; increased violent and non-violent street crime, unhappy, small business owners and recent unemployed employees makes for a very sad vacation destination.  Will there be highway of tears heading out of Pattaya in the near future?

I have a cunning plan........

If we line up lots of speedboats and jetskis, moored parallel to the beach, and run the at full power, they will suck all the gunk away from the beach and send it to Hua Hin.

It will be much more effective, however, if we can add a few submerged submarines to the line-up.............:post-4641-1156694572:

It is not only a Pattaya problem, though plenty needs to be done there, it is the whole mindset in Thailand.  Every time there is heavy rain all the rubbish and "sludge" built up in the creeks, drains and rivers gets flushed to the ocean, ready for the next x months of crap to be dumped there, a bit like flushing a toilet.  So the local populace will continue to dump their rubbish there as it is self cleaning.

I used to work offshore in the gulf of Thailand and it was nothing unusual to see coconut palms and lots of rubbish 120km offshore after heavy rains somewhere.  So depending on tides and currents where the rubbish ends up.  But the mindset on the beach is I cannot see it anymore, so not my problem.

So whilst Pattaya definitely needs to lift its game on dumping raw sewage into the ocean, and do something about the dumping of rubbish into the waterways feeding into the sea, it is a bigger problem.  Basically changing the whole mindset of Thailand to realise that it is not acceptable dump rubbish anywhere, oh and probably have somewhere convenient to dump it.  Saying that when we go up to the village in Isaan there is not rubbish everywhere, so maybe just the mindset of the people near the beach would do.  The greater Bankgok  area hiso, midsi, loso and assorted self privileged  people would probably a good start.

Cheers

2 hours ago, Thechook said:

You would never get me into the disgusting ocean in Thailand.  The seas are putrid and you would have to be suicidal.

I went in the ocean when I first started coming here several years ago. Some diving snorkling etc but now one look at the beaches and you got to know whats in the water. Just a place to pick up a disease, especially around any town or city.

3 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

announcement soon to come from madam TAT. tourists come to pattaya for the culture not for the prostitutes and swimming in the sea.

I have always said most come to either see or participate in what Pattaya has always offered, up to them if they wish to 'clean' it up and make it a 'family' destination, it's their country, they've been saying it for enough years, if they are successful  and fully complete their mission they'll find most tourists will find much better beaches with the same shopping malls further afield.

I was in DaNang ,Vietnam a couple of weeks ago,the beach was spotless,no rubbish

and the sea very clear,if Thailand does not clean its act up,tourists are going to be

moving to better destinations, and the taxi drivers turn on the meter without telling them.

regards Worgeordie

3 hours ago, ThaiTrav said:

What are you talking about ????? Due to all the recent changes  Pattaya is now classified a world class tourist resort????? WORLD CLASS God help us if its true!!!!!

You said it not me!  World Class Tourist Resort!  It is all Smoke and Mirror to these leaders that is what they are good at?????????:partytime2:

Pattaya Beach New Tourist Attraction 

"FEED THE RATS"  any day and more so at night walk onto the platform opposite Royal Garden Shopping Mall  you can watch giant rats scurrying around the beach.

I wrote and advised the Mayors office 2 years ago nothing done to solve this disgusting problem.

Another disgusting Pattaya exclusive is how the garbage collectors open all the garbage bags looking for anything of value before putting into the compactor truck. The garbage collectors open the bags and all the filth spews onto the road that is why many parts of the roads such as Soi Diana are blackened with filth from the garbage trucks and every car that drives over this filth is spreading it further.  

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Pattaya has outgrown itself and the infrastructure has not yet caught up. It has grown from a small fishing village into the world's sex capital in just 50 years. Too late now. Move the sex down the coast to the other "secret sex town" but put the infrastructure in first!

Nong Khai has black filth being pumped direct into the Mekong. 

Hi Wise Owl, good to meet up on a different thread .

exscuse my ignorance but where is this secret alternative?..

( for a friend who is coming to visit.......)

Archived