Pattaya's sea - nothing short of an environmental disaster zone

webfact

I first travelled to Pattaya in 1976.  I lived in Pattaya for 5 years till 2011 and never swam in the water there once due to pollution.  I worked offshore in the gulf of Thailand in the 1980's and the amount of plastic and rubbish then was simply indescribable.  So this latest article does not surprise me one little bit... and STILL, NOTHING IS BEING DONE.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, bbbbooboo said:

hmmmm..... i went to this beach 10 years ago and it was self-evident then that it was a disaster zone. I guess it has only taken the authorities that many years to wake up to this fact(muted applause)

I went 30 years ago and it was then, as you say, "self-evident then that it was a disaster zone."

57 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

exscuse my ignorance but where is this secret alternative?..

( for a friend who is coming to visit.......)

Hi DL.

Yes the secret sex town just south of Jontiem. It is on TvisaF ( a green bee with a smile on his face). Obviously I wouldn't click on it. Too early for you to  look too DL; give it a couple of days!!

30 minutes ago, Henryford said:

If it wasn't for the girls no one would come near this place.

Or the LBs!!

Good fishing park just outside Pattaya and one at soi 12 if I can recall.

6 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

I recall seeing a plaque halfway down the beach stating that Pattaya Beach had been voted the cleanest beach in S.E.Asia. Hilarious ! Instead of hassling the bars, the authorities should be spending more time and effort limiting the amount of sewage being directed to the beach.

Treat it like a toilet long enough it will become one, you reap what you sow!

Spending time and effort is not the problem.
Spending money is!

So the general attempts to clear the seedy lewd image that Pattaya has as the world's sex capital  ...and people start noticing for the first time that the town has a beach! ...and a filthy disgusting one at that!

Anyone else think that turning Pattaya into world class beach resort for families might just be mission impossible? 

6 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

I recall seeing a plaque halfway down the beach stating that Pattaya Beach had been voted the cleanest beach in S.E.Asia. Hilarious ! Instead of hassling the bars, the authorities should be spending more time and effort limiting the amount of sewage being directed to the beach.

Well whoever did the voting must’ve been paid because Nha Trang beach in Vietnam is 10 times cleaner than Pattaya and you can actually swim in the clean water

nt1.png

nt2.png

1 minute ago, Asiantravel said:

Well whoever did the voting must’ve been paid because Nha Trang beach in Vietnam is 10 times cleaner than Pattaya and you can actually swim in the clean water

nt1.png

nt2.png

WOW! Beach chairs set up properly! Imagine that!

Rocket science is it not?

7 hours ago, Thechook said:

You would never get me into the disgusting ocean in Thailand.  The seas are putrid and you would have to be suicidal.

actually, the Andaman Sea is quite nice, especially as it laps against our shores in Koh Lanta

-but that is the other side of the country, and not near a teeming stinking out of control metropolis

plus all the pollution and garbage flowing from Bangkok into the sea via Chao Praya

-ANYWHERE in Gulf of Thailand, i won't even walk on the beach!!!

39 minutes ago, WhizBang said:

Every time I see tourists who go swimming in that water off Pattaya beach, I just shake my head.

There are some nice beaches in Thailand, but you have to get away from the built up areas

yup!!! our beaches in Lanta are quite nice...

They are just too busy, a situation just over their heads, building toll booths, widening Beach Road, putting up cross walk signals that have all been abandon, painting impressive color traffic lines and stops for Songthaw, digging a tunnel that is behind schedule, but the BIB, are setting up stings for violators who are tired of waiting for it to open. Now they are planning a light rail system all at a cost of millions/billions. While Pattaya continues to grow with no real master plan to improve the system as they continue to add to the sewer.

You forgot cutting down the trees in Jomtien

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Dude you have to take a pic of that

10 years ago, during my discharge interview by a Thai doctor at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, he recommended that I NEVER go swimming in the sea anywhere near Pattaya. He was convinced that the water was polluted by so many pathogens that it represented a serious health hazard. 

I think someone should translate this Thread in to Russian and tell them not to let there kids swim in the sea.

no point comparing it to Vietnam or the Andaman, the Gulf of Thailand is enclosed and very shallow and has a huge industrial area and city and port on its shores, even if they clean up their act its never going to compare to those places on the open ocean

Archived