Pattaya's sea - nothing short of an environmental disaster zone

webfact

Nothing new here. I gave the solution three years ago in a classic post, which I'll repeat here for our noobs:

On 5/17/2014 at 8:59 AM, JSixpack said:
On 5/9/2014 at 8:38 AM, JSixpack said:

Yep, nowadays nobody can walk without falling into an open ditch or drain, avoid breathing, survive w/ black feet, dodge the garbage piled everywhere as well as the crazy drivers, ride a baht bus, and find any people of interest or a decent restaurant or club (which, fortunately, are diminishing daily). It's just INTOLERABLE.

Hence the city's nearly deserted. Last weekend, for example, a major holiday, it looked like a bombed out, abandoned Chernobyl w/ just a few radioactive Russian zombies wandering around.

The Solution

Decided to have lunch at Central yesterday but--how to get there safely? Fortunately, after reading this thread and realizing how truly horrible conditions have become in the cesspool (just in the last six months, though they had been building up), I had purchased my very own hazmat suit.

I can now highly recommend such to all visitors to Pattaya now, such as the OP. Come on back to Pattaya, man!

Saint-Gobain-OneSuitPro-220.jpg

Finally, I could breathe the toxic Pattaya air safely! It was just like that clean Bangkok air the OP prefers.:tongue:

On my way, I crawled in and out of the countless open ditches and drains easily, not like before when I always sprained my ankles. The horrific stench over the entire city didn't bother me a bit! I also crawled over and walked around all the mountains of garbage everywhere--on the streets, the sidewalks, the promenade. And the hordes of rats constantly patrolling seemed positively afraid of my bright orange. Similarly the crazy drivers and baht buses could now see me clearly and detoured around--so none of those usual near death experiences. Of course they still had no consideration at all for their passengers. Disgusting!

Just before walking into Central, I walked over to the horrible polluted beach with its sewage floating everywhere and trash piles. No longer was I concerned about getting my feet black, one of the worst things that can happen 'cause it's permanent. Think: there you are with a lovely in Soi 6 and she sees those black feet! Big turnoff. What you gonna say?

Well, I walked into Central and took of the suit in a bathroom and packed it in a carry bag just in case, as predicted by our doomsayers, the building fell down and I needed it to climb out of the rubble or survive until rescue. Bases covered!

If only more would purchase such suits, tourism would at last revive in DYING PATTAYA. You'd see people on the deserted streets once again.

Speaking of people, the most annoying thing is all these fake pics around that purport to show tourists and residents enjoying this city. Amazing what they can do w/ Photoshop these days. Like this last week in the Pattaya Mail:

n1-Labor1.jpg

Can you believe that nonsense? It's like all those CGI warriors swelling the fantasy armies of The Lord Of The Rings. All our wiser-than-thou members know that there's no beach. Nobody can swim. And they've cut-and-pasted in that blue sky and the buildings, as in truth the horrible smog prevents them from ever being seen.

Chant the mantra: there's no reason to come to Pattaya. (The new promenade was the last nail in the coffin.) As I said earlier, that Labor Day weekend, there were only a few radioactive Russian zombies wandering around.

All that TAT propaganda, swelling the Pattaya tourist numbers with Cambodians! SO annoying.

Still, I can somehow continue residing happily in the cesspool now. Doomsayers! Your burdens are eased.:biggrin:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/14/2017 at 4:16 AM, webfact said:

Many felt that it was time for the tourism authorities who have such big plans for the resort to take a look for themselves at the disgraceful state of the beach and the sea in Pattaya and start working on some answers.

western thinking; highly doubtful those authorities CAN think in those terms , much less act on them

11 hours ago, newnative said:

In the words of Nike, JUST DO IT.  Just do it.  Make the investment.  Spend the money.  It's not glamorous. It's not splashy flashy.  What it IS is important.  The sooner you start the sooner you're done.  While all the digging is being done, the overhead electrical wires could be buried at the same time.  This would also be a good time to eliminate all the parking on the major roads and improve the sidewalks, turning lanes, traffic intersections, and add center medians on some streets. 

Yeah.  I loved the small town nature of Pattaya but it has grown to the point where it really just doesn't work.  Got to junk it or fix it.  Just waiting for the next typhus or some other outbreak

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/07/2017 at 11:15 AM, newnative said:

In the words of Nike, JUST DO IT.  Just do it.  Make the investment.  Spend the money.  It's not glamorous. It's not splashy flashy.  What it IS is important.  The sooner you start the sooner you're done.  While all the digging is being done, the overhead electrical wires could be buried at the same time.  This would also be a good time to eliminate all the parking on the major roads and improve the sidewalks, turning lanes, traffic intersections, and add center medians on some streets. 

dream on!

Alas trying to put some positive spin on this situation has become a fairly futile excercise as the cat is well and truly out of the bag now .. The power of the internet has ensured that the wider world has been aware of the pollution problems here for years but the recent weight of less than favourable reviews posted on numerous trip adviser websites and their ilk along with youtube clips by people who are armed with no more than a smartphone is noticeable .. Even the folk of Timbuktu will be avoiding Pattaya from now on .. March 2017 associate professor Than Thamrongnawasawat of the fisheries faculty of Kasetsart Uni' is quoted as saying " There is something terribly wrong with the Thai sea [ gulf of Thailand ] after the deaths of 2 Bruda whales and 2 sharks in the Gulf .. Of course the administration would prefer these issues were kept in house but its too late for muddling and denials now .. What it needs is a concerted co-ordinated plan to try and find a fix for this and there are more learned minds than mine who have wrestled this problem on T V F so over to you lads on that one .. But its only when ( if .? ) they have found a fix can they come back with a positive propaganda sorry publicity campaign to illuminate to the world that the beaches are clean and safe again but until that is achieved the currant counter narrative that its a short term problem or its only because of the exceptional heavy rain or its only those bloody foreigners moaning again will only ensure that Patt's reputation as world class resort continues to disappear down the pan ..  :sleep:

Archived