In detention right now about to be deported

1 hour ago, seancbk said:

20,000 Baht, not $20,000  

Although it can be in any currency so you could carry US$ 600 or you could carry travelers cheques to that value.

It's hardly a lot of cash.

We're on a website, that is for, and about expats living in Thailand,, I didn't feel the need to either change my keyboard to Thai, or figure out the correct combination of keys, or the need to specifically spell out the word Baht.. I assumed most here would be able to know exactly what I meant, No, it's not a lot of money,, but as several have stated,, I myself, would rather travel with a smaller amount, and draw out in Thai Baht, the funds I need AFTER I arrive... 

52 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

When I was visiting on Tourist-Visas, I used Travelers Checks for most of the required 20K Baht.  Bangkok Bank sells them. 

Note that when this "show 20K Baht" stuff started, I could not find them for sale in Cambodia (though you can cash them there), and had to enter one time with a wad of easy-to-steal cash on me - not a feeling I liked.  Maybe get a money-belt, if you want to go cash - but those are hot in this weather.

Is it possible to have cc cash advance in Cambodia? Between buying travelers checks in Thailand, or making a cc cash advance in Cambodia before entering Thailand, which option would you choose?

16 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

One would think that someone who has stayed in Thailand using numerous tourists visas would have "caught up" with the notion that immigrations would expect him to have  proof of funds available to support himself at some point.

Except the OP here was not entering on a tourist visa, but rather, on an ED education visa, according to his account.

1 hour ago, jspill said:

Search 'bkk airport immigration fast track', for $30 you can have a rep meet you as you get off the plane, whatever class you flew in, then they take you through the fast lane.

With a lot of entries it doesnt make a difference. Just depends on the IO. 

Last month i flew in from cambodia, and have a few priority passes that i havent used - i save them if immi isnt busy - so I went through the fast track and still got grilled by the female IO, who called her supervisor. I had bank statements, onward flights but they wasnt interested. Didnt ask for 20k. Oddly what got me through in the end was telling her i had a gf......and she said next time carry a copy of girlfriends ID card. Bizarre

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not the first time that has been reported. They expect to see the equivalent of 20k baht in cash.

So by law, each and every tourist (including the swarms of Chinese in small groups that follow a leader with a raised flag on a small pole) is supposed to carry the equivalent of 20,000 Baht in cash?

• Like 2

It's concerning that this was done to someone with a G7 passport. Typical  they are given the most latitude and in the past embassies told me to  not worry about immigration as I'm G7.

Unsure why the crackdown. I sense that it is due to obviously? Wrong visa. (op is using visa and Ed to live in Thailand and is not here earnestly to study). So It may be as simple as clearing out anyone who is here a lot without a yearly visa (despite what the rules may say)

Only suggestion at this point is a Thailand Elite visa (I believe they refund you if entry is denied?)

To be fair: The law may allow work around, but I think the desire is that foreigners do not stay here long. If only the laws were revised to reflect that.

22 minutes ago, al007 said:

Do I like or agree, IRRELEVANT if I want to stay COMPLY really very simple

If I do not like it, as I was told a long time ago by an immigration official, I am free to leave, and he is very correct

The issue in the OP's case, contrary to what you say above, is I don't think there's any stated rule or regulation from Immigration that says ED visa holders such as the OP are required to show 20K baht upon entry to the country.  People can't be expected to comply with a rule that either doesn't exist or routinely hasn't been enforced.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sigma6 said:

With a lot of entries it doesnt make a difference. Just depends on the IO. 

Last month i flew in from cambodia, and have a few priority passes that i havent used - i save them if immi isnt busy - so I went through the fast track and still got grilled by the female IO, who called her supervisor. I had bank statements, onward flights but they wasnt interested. Didnt ask for 20k. Oddly what got me through in the end was telling her i had a gf......and she said next time carry a copy of girlfriends ID card. Bizarre

What kind of entry were you making?  Visa exempt, tourist visa, other?

Immigration cracking down on all business with foreign employees. I run a legit registered company in Pathumthani, VAT registered, pay Tax, have all necessary documents and 4 thai staff on my books. Now 2 of those staff are not here every day as they are out and about for me. Had a spot check from 3 Thai Immigration officials yesterday and told me they are now checking every business with a foreigner in Pathumthani, and other provinces must also do the same, even showed me the memo sent out to them by Head office. Because 2 of my staff were out on business they told me i must produce all staff next week in my office with ID cards and house registration or my visa is instantly revoked. Fortunately I can and will be ok, anyone else out there I suggest you make sure you are prepared. 

8 minutes ago, Farangland said:

Is it possible to have cc cash advance in Cambodia? Between buying travelers checks in Thailand, or making a cc cash advance in Cambodia before entering Thailand, which option would you choose?

I used ATM withdrawals - didn't try cash-advances, though I think those are available.

• Like 1

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What kind of entry were you making?  Visa exempt, tourist visa, other?

Tourist visa, and ive been here the last year and a half on tourist visas. I know my frequent and long stays will raise questions, but i do not and never have worked here in any way. 

4 minutes ago, JayBird said:

It's concerning that this was done to someone with a G7 passport.

Possession of such a passport does not permit the flouting of any countries immigration laws.   

The OP could (should) ask for Consular assistance but the help that can be given will be limited if immigration rules have been ignored.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, perthperson said:

Possession of such a passport does not permit the flouting of any countries immigration laws.   

The OP could (should) ask for Consular assistance but the help that can be given will be limited if immigration rules have been ignored.

I dont believe any embassy would be in the least bit interested in assisting someone refused entry. 

What do you think they will do?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Many gov web sites are not updated as often as they should be.

So by reading a goverment web site you (i know i would) accept what is on there. No mention of 20k so if no mention and you dont know as 99.99999% tourists wouldnt. Why would they try to search for something not mentioned so therefore to those does not exist.

Pay back is a bitch.

It seems there have been too many German issues recently.

Wasn't the guy in Phuket accused of killing his Thai GF German?

There is another recent story about a German man in Germany who slaughtered his entire Thai family.

Other recent negative German stories.

Maybe they are sick of the Germans, so you were targeted.

Edited by bkk6060

3 hours ago, jspill said:

His stamp will have written 'no funds' (in Thai) as the reason for the denial, he can attempt to return with 20k baht funds. I'd risk that at a land border rather than get a new passport as the Ed visa is in his current passport. 

I think it will have 12(3) which is the relevant paragraph for no funds - as opposed to having "no funds" written.

4 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

So by reading a goverment web site you (i know i would) accept what is on there. No mention of 20k so if no mention and you dont know as 99.99999% tourists wouldnt. Why would they try to search for something not mentioned so therefore to those does not exist.

Not arguing just pointing out the way it is with web sites.

Good judgement comes from experience and experience generally comes fron bad judgement.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

People can't be expected to comply with a rule that either doesn't exist or routinely hasn't been enforced.

Why I comment, not to be antagonistic, but the Immigration Officer does I understand have full authority to adjudicate

I believe those of us who have been here for a while, understand the no logic thinking of Thailand Immigration on some occasions

I was one time told when immigration put a wrong entry in my passport it was my fault for not correcting the immigration officer, and later when trying to correct the error simply smile Thai style, followed by thank you

Yes it appears the under 50's are maybe being targeted, but this is why Thailand says retirement visa from 50, in itself pretty generous

So if you are in the targeted group comply with the rules do not overstay and ensure your paper work is correct, even go to immigration before leaving and check

OR choose another country, if non US citizen try USA !!

• Like 1

Just now, al007 said:

So if you are in the targeted group comply with the rules do not overstay and ensure your paper work is correct, even go to immigration before leaving and check

OR choose another country, if non US citizen try USA !!

You're just repeating the same invalid argument. Even if the OP was in a "targeted" group, he had proper paperwork and a valid ED visa based on his account.

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

The problem is that most people rely on credit cards, ATMs, online banking. So no reason to carry that sort of cash unless one knew in advance it was required, which people do not.

And not everyone is entering to stay 30 or more days. But the larger point is that one can easily have ready access to more than 10 times that amount without having 20K in cash on you. Money in the bank, easily accessed via ATM; credit cards with high  limits.

as you stated earlier...they are likely using this as an excuse. all cases here showed serial abusers of tourist visas by history,,,I seriously doubt that a middle aged couple coming for a holiday would even be asked for any cash.

• Like 1