In detention right now about to be deported

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The problem is that most people rely on credit cards, ATMs, online banking. So no reason to carry that sort of cash unless one knew in advance it was required, which people do not.

And not everyone is entering to stay 30 or more days. But the larger point is that one can easily have ready access to more than 10 times that amount without having 20K in cash on you. Money in the bank, easily accessed via ATM; credit cards with high  limits.

It doesn't matter if you have billions in your bank accounts...all they need is to see 20K baht cash not 2 millions....it's the rule in thailand and in many many countries....what so difficult if you have the money....CASH is KING... 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

To me, it is somewhat cruel to stop a person from entering because he did not bring the equivalent of $600 in his pocket but has access to the needed funds via an ATM.  They are using this to deny entry based upon the their stereotyping of people.  It is their right but I do not have a good feeling reading about this ,

On the other hand, unless one is married to a Thai, I also cannot understand why someone keeps coming to Thailand at their prime working age; basically doing nothing; and living off whatever temporary income they can derive. At some point, they are all going to realize they have no retirement funds; will not be able to draw their government's pension because they have never contributed and when reaching retirement age will not be able to exist comfortably anywhere. Best advice someone gave me at a young age- forget about Thailand- work and save money ad build up your retirement fund- Thailand will always be there.

Just to offer another perspective - I regret not coming sooner, and consider the time I spent in my passport-country "wasted years." 
But, if not for traitors in my government allowing mass-outsourcing and mass-immigration to undermine my life/income (along with millions of others), I might never have left and discovered the rest of the world, and how much better it is - in so many ways. 

But if one has the connections to get a high-paying job which allows for significant savings - one not compromised by cheap foreign-labor (including engineering/tech, now-days) - then I do agree - do it while that opportunity is there, and save every penny/satang you can - well-diversified - and plan for your escape to a better life.

I had plenty of wasted years in America- but  with a Thai wife and children and a desire to eventually retire in Thailand- I knew I would never be able to that with a Thai based income because I was not contributing to American Social Security. One can survive in Thailand on 30K Baht per month but I wouldn't recommend it when one is in their peak earning years. On the other hand if one has a million dollars at age 25 and wants to give Thailand a try- go for it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Where do Immigration rules/regs say 20K cash is required on arrival for people with ED visas, such as the OP says he has.

------------------------------------------

I have no problem if Thailand wants to enforce a 20K baht cash on arrival rule. But if they're going to enforce that, they should say CLEARLY and PUBLICLY what types of entries it's going to be required for.

AND, if they're not going to accept bank statements or funds available via ATM withdrawal, they should say that CLEARLY and PUBLICLY -- and not leave everyone guessing and wondering just what the real rules are and what's going to be expected of them on arrival.

See post 77.

They state Non Imm' visa so probably apply across the board.  Ed visa doesn't allow working so will need proof of funds.

Edited by overherebc

I recommend you get a Thai Elite visa. You live in Thong Lo, great area. The price to live in paradise, well, is possibly 500k. I know it's a hard pill to swallow, but if this is your long term 2nd home and you're under 50, this is one of your only choices.

Email Thai Elite, ask them what to do in your case.

Edited by mduras01

17 minutes ago, moe666 said:

I find it very interesting that 2 guys show up in immigration detention within days of each other but just a slight variation of the story. I maybe wrong but sure smells like a troll

Ive been there too. Happens on a daily basis.

30 minutes ago, saakura said:

So by law, each and every tourist (including the swarms of Chinese in small groups that follow a leader with a raised flag on a small pole) is supposed to carry the equivalent of 20,000 Baht in cash?

1. They aren't "Farangs"

2. They don't stay long.
3. Yes, if entering on a TR Visa, but unlikely to be asked due to #1 and #2 - and they might also be using other options, available to Chinese and some other nations, to enter.

17 minutes ago, tonray said:

This is not our country and the only rights we have are subject to change whenever they want. Bottom line is do not try to live here on tourist visas as that history will eventually come back to bite you. In the cases presented so far we have guys with multiple tourist visas trying to enter the country again with the obvious intention of living here. they want this to stop...their country and their rules.

Yes, but it would be civil and courteous to change and publish any such restriction, which everyone can read, so as to know whether a visit would be "over the limit" (specified in the said published restriction), and then act accordingly.

Given recent police-orders (which did change Visa-Exempt rules) do not include limiting-language on TR Visa entries, evidently there is not a consensus within those who make the rules on the question of, "guys with multiple tourist visas" - such as saying "you cannot enter on an ED or TR Visa if you have 'X' TR Visas in X months/years, prior." 

Therefore, it is incumbent on the authorities to follow the published rules.  Note that ED-qualifications have been raised recently, so any extensions he received on his visa would have required meeting those. 

6 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

How is it correct if the law states 20k?  the law states 800k for retirees can we ignore that too?

To my knowledge, the "law" is having sufficient funds to support oneself.  The Airport's rule-set says plastic-accessible money is OK to meet this requirement. 
I did find the 20K listed on a Thai-govt site's FAQ (and 10K for Visa-Exempt) - though I think that site has been changed.  There may be  a police-order specifying the exact amounts.

13 minutes ago, moe666 said:

I find it very interesting that 2 guys show up in immigration detention within days of each other but just a slight variation of the story. I maybe wrong but sure smells like a troll

A good troll-post would have been if he had the money and was rejected.  I tend to think it is legit, since he didn't have the 20K - follows many similar accounts of others.

5 minutes ago, overherebc said:

See post 77.

They state Non Imm' visa so probably apply across the board.  Ed visa doesn't allow working so will need proof of funds.

You're joking, right?  That image you're referring to looks like a hand painted sign somewhere out on the border boonies, and includes all kinds of silly stuff that I've never seen cited in any official regulation.

Show me anything like that on a consulate website relating to ED visas such as the OP here says he has, or any kind of sign like that posted anywhere at Suvarnabhumi....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You're joking, right?  That image you're referring to looks like a hand painted sign somewhere out on the border boonies, and includes all kinds of silly stuff that I've never seen cited in any official regulation.

Show me anything like that on a consulate website relating to ED visas such as the OP here says he has, or any kind of sign like that posted anywhere at Suvarnabhumi....

Probably better ask the person who posted it.

1 hour ago, dddave said:

I come through Suvarnabhumi a lot and I can not picture an ATM anywhere along the path from the arrivals gates to Immigration, either A,B,C,D side or D, E, F, G.

Perhaps in the transit area?

The first ATM's I see are in Baggage claim.

There is an SCB Exchange at the corner of E and F. I clocked it just in case I too were to be given the 20k runaround.

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Here's the Thai consulate in Los Angele's info page for single and multiple entry tourist visas...

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=32

Zero mention of anything about 20K cash on arrival being required.

The Thai consulate in Telaviv has the info and I'm sure when I got a visa in the UK there was a notice about the requirement.   I'm also reasonably sure a similar notice was given to me in HK when applying there.  

Minimum Currency Limit

When Entering Thailand:

1. Holders of a transit visa or those who enter Thailand without a visa are required to possess not less than the equivalent amount of 5,000 Baht per person or 10,000 Baht per family.

2. Holders of a Tourist Visa -- not less than the equivalent amount of 10,000 Baht per person or 20,000 Baht per family.

3. Holders of a Non-immigrant Visa -- not less than the equivalent amount of 10,000 Baht per person or 20,000 Baht per family.

The above requirements do not apply to minors under 12 years old.

5 hours ago, Momofarang said:

A new passport won't be of any help, they can search your movements on multiple criteria, you'd need to change name and DOB too...

To stay and live here, you need a proper visa, on solid grounds; i.e not tourist visas or exemption, ED become fragile because it has been over (ab)used. 

I would NOT stay in Thailand if I wasn't married to a Thai, with two kids, so I stick to the "married" visa.

But clearly, the climate is "Anti-Farang" so they will more and more give visa to Farang money only, with some exception..

You are lucky young man Germany is a great country.

Tchüss..

Why only Thailand? Is it Tunnel vision? What's wrong with Vietnam, or China? Contemplate on your perception. Wrong perception from the start cannot end with something right or even good.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not the first time that has been reported. They expect to see the equivalent of 20k baht in cash.

We should warn all future tourists: carry lots of cash, don't rely on outlandish things such as credit cards.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, madusa said:

Why only Thailand? Is it Tunnel vision? What's wrong with Vietnam, or China? Contemplate on your perception. Wrong perception from the start cannot end with something right or even good.

Frankly I am not sure I get you. But between you and me, if I din't have my family I'd now be somewhere in Chili, in thin air...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, seancbk said:

The Thai consulate in Telaviv has the info and I'm sure when I got a visa in the UK there was a notice about the requirement.   I'm also reasonably sure a similar notice was given to me in HK when applying there.  
Minimum Currency Limit

When Entering Thailand:

1. Holders of a transit visa or those who enter Thailand without a visa are required to possess not less than the equivalent amount of 5,000 Baht per person or 10,000 Baht per family.

2. Holders of a Tourist Visa -- not less than the equivalent amount of 10,000 Baht per person or 20,000 Baht per family.

3. Holders of a Non-immigrant Visa -- not less than the equivalent amount of 10,000 Baht per person or 20,000 Baht per family.

The above requirements do not apply to minors under 12 years old.

That info is incorrect - it is 10K for exempt (per-person).  Also 20K each for TR or other visas, and 40K per family (man, wife, children - grandparents, etc must have their own 20K-each).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tonray said:

We shouldn't have a cow here folks that you show about $600 bucks US for a 30 day (or more) stay. How could this be so onerous ?..I think people need to sit back and realize that this is not a big deal. If you come to a foreign country and do not have $600 bucks to support yourself then you should not be allowed in. Travelers need to start being adults and follow the rules.

There is this brand new thingie, that you are obviously not aware of.

It is called "credit card".

Ask your bank about it!

• Like 2

Just now, oldhippy said:

There is this brand new thingie, that you are obviously not aware of.

It is called "credit card".

Ask your bank about it!

don't need to...Immigration wants cash and that"s all I need to know

12 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

Frankly I am not sure I get you. But between you and me, if I din't have my family I'd now be somewhere in Chili, in thin air...

Sorry Momofarang, I made a mistake this reply wasn't meant for you but it was too late when i realized it I had already pressed the button.(hope Mr Kim of north korea didn't do what I did, if he wrongly pressed the button, japan, south korea are gone). Terribly sorry. Like your Momofarang nickname though.

12 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

• Like 1