BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

More than twice as many restaurants set to close in 2017 as Thais eat out less

More than twice as many restaurants set to close in 2017 as Thais eat out less

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- The head of a Thai restaurant association painted a grim picture of the future of eating out in small and medium sized restaurants as the slow economy bites and competition is fierce.

Ladda Samphaothong of the Restaurant Business Trade Association predicted that 2,300 businesses would fold this year.

This compared to just 1,000 in the whole of last year.

She said that the slow economy means that Thais were eating out less and she also blamed the labor law that has seen foreign migrant workers return home in droves.

Also mentioned as contributing factors were foreign owned franchises squeezing out locals by offering discounts and two for one deals as well as the increasing emergence of online delivery services, reported Daily News.

Isaan is the worst place for closures with 700 businesses in the region shut already this year, 300 in the north and 300 elsewhere.

This 1,300 total is expected to rise to 2,300 by year end said Ladda.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-14

This will mean less flooding due to less drains blocked by fatburgs. Also less maintenance needed, the flow on effect will be dramatic.

The high number of Chinese tourists have very little positive effect on the ordinary citizens economy. Seems to have been better days 10 years ago with less than 20 million western tourists.

39 minutes ago, webfact said:

Also mentioned as contributing factors were foreign owned franchises squeezing out locals by offering discounts and two for one deals....

Ah yes, of course. The favoured blame target. 

28 minutes ago, realfunster said:

Ah yes, of course. The favoured blame target. 

Yes .. not the fact that there are too many restaurants, and that more food is available online.

yup yup yup....

close.... and their food fare has gone down because they increasingly over time catered to late night crowds...

there used to be many good places to have lunch or dinner.... Sanpatong, believe it or not, comes to my mind especially..... but many in the Mueang and elsewhere as well.... that are closed now....

yet in those very ****same**** locales..... by four or five fold... there are plenty of new places that if they were not selling yellow colored alcohol water... plus locale hooch.... they would be totally darkened even in broad daylight... especially in broad daylight. 

seems they refuse to accept that when the food quality drops so profits increase people stop eating there. We have a restaurant here that used to serve great meals, their ribs were brilliant. Went there a few months ago and got the ribds, they came out coated in a thick sauce and were quite big, went to cut into the meat and there was none, there were simply all bone, they had trimmed all the meat off them apart from the tiny sections between the ribs. When I tried to complain the staff just laughed, maybe if these places maintained the quality they wouldnt suffer as much

Another reason might be the strong baht.  When I first moved here I got 70+ to each UKP.  The iniquitous UK Gov have frozen my pension for the last 9 years and now I get 42 for each UKP.  I have had to make a number of cuts to my life-style.  These cuts impinge on the local merchants/bar owners and restaurateurs.  Multiply that by the numbers of expats & there is a serious shortfall which cannot be plugged with Chinese big-spenders.

Same as everywhere around the world, fifty percent of restaurants are closing down within three years after their first opening.

And this not due to the global economy...

Restaurant business is not for amateurs!

Its because the migrant workers and the economey. Thailand is in a spiral down since all the crack downing and i am expecting more of the same as the iq at the top seems below par for the coarse.

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

Another reason might be the strong baht.  When I first moved here I got 70+ to each UKP.  The iniquitous UK Gov have frozen my pension for the last 9 years and now I get 42 for each UKP.  I have had to make a number of cuts to my life-style.  These cuts impinge on the local merchants/bar owners and restaurateurs.  Multiply that by the numbers of expats & there is a serious shortfall which cannot be plugged with Chinese big-spenders.

Not everyone broke same you. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Oh yes make it political.. 

Its about restaurants. YL will never come back.. she is banned face it.

I forget government don't effect economy and economy don't effect restaurant. How I can be clever like you.

3 minutes ago, Pridilives said:

I forget government don't effect economy and economy don't effect restaurant. How I can be clever like you.

Indeed your not clever now move on lil troll.   Maybe if you were more educated you would know that you can''t beat a global upturn or downturn by more then a few percent points gdp. You would have known that if you studied economy. 

1 hour ago, lazygourmet said:

Same as everywhere around the world, fifty percent of restaurants are closing down within three years after their first opening.

And this not due to the global economy...

Restaurant business is not for amateurs!

Yes but by all means lets make it political.. like some trolls on this forum do. 

Just now, robblok said:

Yes but by all means lets make it political.. like some trolls on this forum do. 

Oh so sad for you because cannot say fault of thaksin. If economy good everyone have money in pocket can have too many restaurant if economy bad nobody have money in pocket cannot have too many restaurant. real is the thing Prayuth economy bad. Can see this true because before just lose 1000 restaurant for one year but Prayuth economy lose 2300 restaurant. If not Prayith economy make restaurant close then what do it !!! I think you brain want to say thaksin fault