Where can I buy a fibreglass telescopic pole in BKK?

simon43

I don't want this for fishing purposes, but I think a fishing equipment supplier might be the best place to find this item.

I'm after a fibreglass, telescopic pole that is typically used in fishing as a trolling pole or jig pole, (apologies if I've used the wrong terms).  This type of pole can extend to perhaps 5 metres in length, and then collapse down to perhaps 1 metre in length.

Why do I need it?  I'm a radio amateur, and I use these types of poles to support my wire antennas.  There are many similar telescopic poles available on Ebay, but the postal companies will not ship them to my home in Myanmar, (either because they won't ship to Myanmar, or because the pole is too long).

I'm in Bangkok next week, and would be very happy to buy a few poles of this type.  Any suggestions of a shop that will definitely stock them?  (I don't want a wasted journey).

Simon,

Doesn't Myanmar have blue plastic pipe?  Use one inside the other?

There are many fishing shops. But for one? Get off the BTS at On Nut walk up the street on the odd side until you find it. They probably have a net pole.

Blue water pipes are not rigid enough.  I've tried these before.  Their weight and their lack of rigidity means that they aren't suitable.

The fishing poles are lighter in weight, but have better rigidity.  It doesn't matter if they flex a little at the top, but the PVC pipe tends to bend far too much at the 5 metre height!

But I'll be near On Nut.  I'll go and have a look at that fishing shop.  Is 'odd side' the same side as Tesco Lotus, or the opposite side?  About how many metres up from Tesco Lotus?

Simon43, the tackle shop is called Hathai Fishing Shop, located along the main road just after Soi Suk 85.  The odd sois are opposite Tesco.

Family run business.  The younger man speaks some English.  Cheers.

If you didn't find any at HatHai (best bet in that part of BKK- and real nice people) you may want to try AliExpress.  Literally thousands of telescoping rods up to 15 meters in length and I would think they'd ship to Myanmar.

For an even better selection in BKK, though not as convenient as On Nut, point your GPS to:

13 43 38.49 N 100 29 38.68 E

It's a brisk 15 minute walk from BTS WongWian Yai, with 2 or 3 shops together in an alley behind what used to be a Robinson's department store.  I haven't been in a while, but they still show up on Google Maps and Google Earth.

There's a couple of small shops in the pet fish section of Chatuchuk Market and a couple more scattered around Khlong Thom market in Chinatown, but they're hit and miss.  One big (and good) shop allegedly in Rangsit, but that's in violation of my "if it's not on the BTS or MRT, I probably don't need it" mantra.  (Or, at least it was before the new extensions, maybe I should look again)

• 4 months later...
On 22-7-2017 at 7:49 PM, impulse said:

If you didn't find any at HatHai (best bet in that part of BKK- and real nice people) you may want to try AliExpress.  Literally thousands of telescoping rods up to 15 meters in length and I would think they'd ship to Myanmar.

For an even better selection in BKK, though not as convenient as On Nut, point your GPS to:

13 43 38.49 N 100 29 38.68 E

It's a brisk 15 minute walk from BTS WongWian Yai, with 2 or 3 shops together in an alley behind what used to be a Robinson's department store.  I haven't been in a while, but they still show up on Google Maps and Google Earth.

There's a couple of small shops in the pet fish section of Chatuchuk Market and a couple more scattered around Khlong Thom market in Chinatown, but they're hit and miss.  One big (and good) shop allegedly in Rangsit, but that's in violation of my "if it's not on the BTS or MRT, I probably don't need it" mantra.  (Or, at least it was before the new extensions, maybe I should look again)

I know about the rangsit shop it is indeed good. I got a nice shop near my home still that one in rangsit is bigger (Actually a few shops close to each-other over there)

Archived