Aussie victim blamed for his death by Thai parasailing men

webfact

Aussie victim blamed for his death by Thai parasailing men

7pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

PHUKET: -- The two Phuket men now in jail for the death of an Australian tourist say it was all his fault.

Seventy one year old Roger John Hussey plunged to his death just off Kata beach in an incident caught by his Thai wife on a tragic holiday video.

He survived the near 70 meter fall but died later in hospital. He was due to go back to Australia shortly after.

The boat operator Monthian Jandaeng and the parasailing navigator Rungroj Rakcheep who went up with Mr Hussey have laid the blame at the tourist's door.

They said they had been operating for ten years without an accident.

According to Daily News Rungroj told Karon cops that he had checked the equipment in the morning and everything was fine. It was the tourist who let go then in trying to hold on again released himself.

Rungroj said that he tried to hold onto him but was unable to.

Both men have been jailed in Phuket and will face charges of negligence causing death.

Meanwhile Daily News reported that while three operators on the island had suspended operations, parasailing activities were continuing yesterday on Karon and Patong beaches.

The news media said that operators were taking more care and stepping up safety advice given to tourists.

There were still plenty of takers for the activity despite this week's tragedy, they said.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-14

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dreadful but not at all surprising. Blaming the dead guy from the outset. I am no expert but would have thought that safety features on such equipment for public use should be numerous and as a result negate such an occurence.

I guess the only consolation is that these cowboys are in the nick already, with their attitudes like they are i hope they have a lengthly stay 

As a result of this tragedy, where the farang is, as usual blamed for his own death, all they can do is pretend that operators are taking more care and giving advice to tourists.

The only worthwhile advice to tourists is to avoid all dangerous activities such parasailing, jet skiing, renting motor bikes, trips on overloaded boats without life jackets & etc. The operators of these things are poorly educated and have training in safety standards. Local authorities do not care as long as it makes money. You can enjoy your holiday in Thailand without these activities and go home safely.

13 minutes ago, colinneil said:

The two Thai men are blaming the Aussie for the accident !!

Well of course they would, when have you ever heard of a Thai taking responsiblity for anything.

I don't think it would  be probable or likely for it too have been the Aussies fault, but it is quite possible.

As is posted, these particular guys have 10 years operating previously without an accident.

Not saying it was or was not, but wait and see what comes up, instead of constantly Thai bashing and conspiracy theories that abound .

I would blame the Thai guy with dreadlocks who jumped on the back of the tourist as it took off.

1 tourist in a harness, and one Thai person sitting on his shoulders isn't normal operating procedure.

No spotter in the boat either, you're supposed to have a driver (looking forward and steering), and a spotter (watching the person towed) in the boat.

I'm just shocked.  No way these upstanding members of society would put the blame on the innocent victim unless it was true...........  Anyone checked the Kata/Karon guy that was caught charging for sand and then let off after his payoffs?  How about tax records of these scumbags?

3 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

I'm just shocked.  No way these upstanding members of society would put the blame on the innocent victim unless it was true...........  Anyone checked the Kata/Karon guy that was caught charging for sand and then let off after his payoffs?  How about tax records of these scumbags?

And it was lucky he didnt hit the water near a jet ski, or they may have claimed for damage to a jet ski.

4 minutes ago, BradWilkins said:

Hard to believe part of the harness doesnt go down around under the groin, and that the Thai tandem steerer seems to be unrestrained.

That's what I was thinking, the thai guy is totally unrestrained and then looks to swing his legs over Rogers head to gain some seating position, and Roger falls almost immediately.

There was a saying whenever a farang was involved in an unfortunate incident, for example, a car accident, that 

"If the farang wasn't here, it would never have happened, so it must be his fault" !

Unfortunately, quite a few Thais still believe in this theory !

9 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

There was a saying whenever a farang was involved in an unfortunate incident, for example, a car accident, that 

"If the farang wasn't here, it would never have happened, so it must be his fault" !

Unfortunately, quite a few Thais still believe in this theory !

That is a saying only found on forums like this.

Sorry to see the death of any tourist here in Thailand. But when you live in or visit a country with very substandard regards towards life and safety, this sort of thing comes across as acceptable.Nothing will change,it's another day today and life goes on.

Copy & pasted from the net:

Check where the operator allows customers to take off

Many parasailing injuries have occurred as a result of negligent operators “dragging” customers up from the beach rather than from the boat’s platform. If you notice a parasailing operator doing this, you should stay away. Although it may seem like more of a thrill, the practice is risky and the operator does not have the same amount of control over what happens to you as you take off as he or she would if you are standing safely on the platform of the boat.

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

That is a saying only found on forums like this.

Have been going to Thailand for 30 years and yes this line of thinking is fairly common among a lot of Thais. Particularly with some Authorities . If you werent here this wouldn't have happened sometimes comes into the equation. When it comes to deciding who is at fault. Strange but true.

4 minutes ago, BradWilkins said:

Have been going to Thailand for 30 years and yes this line of thinking is fairly common among a lot of Thais. Particularly with some Authorities . If you werent here this wouldn't have happened sometimes comes into the equation. When it comes to deciding who is at fault. Strange but true.

Sorry, disagree.

23 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

Unfortunately, quite a few Thais still believe in this theory !                                                    Have been going to Thailand for 30 years and yes this line of thinking is fairly common among a lot of Thais. Particularly with some Authorities . If you werent here this wouldn't have happened sometimes comes into the equation. When it comes to deciding who is at fault. Strange but true.

They said they had been operating for ten years without an accident.

Based on prior media reports, they also apparently had been operating entirely without any license or permit for their business.  So 10 years without ever being caught kind of shows you just how little safety enforcement is occurring out there.  It's the Wild West in Thailand.

BTW, am I the only one who thinks these guys look more like Africans than they do Thais???

49 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Copy & pasted from the net:

Check where the operator allows customers to take off

Many parasailing injuries have occurred as a result of negligent operators “dragging” customers up from the beach rather than from the boat’s platform. If you notice a parasailing operator doing this, you should stay away. Although it may seem like more of a thrill, the practice is risky and the operator does not have the same amount of control over what happens to you as you take off as he or she would if you are standing safely on the platform of the boat.

True enough.... I once saw a parasailer getting "towed" from the beach, and the sail dived downward ( moments after liftoff) slamming the guy into the back end of a nearby boat.... rather messy

to me, this is a clear case of negligence and a failure of duty of care.... and I'm sure that the harness, if it hasn't disappeared, will show this

1 hour ago, BradWilkins said:

Hard to believe part of the harness doesnt go down around under the groin, and that the Thai tandem steerer seems to be unrestrained.

The groin straps were being worn....quite clear in the preparation and take-off video....I also thought the same and looked a couple of times

There was a few photos of the man just before the incident ,one showed the harness being fitted .The harness looked like it was made of old havasack material and didn't look like anything modern .As other people have said it should be impossible to accidentally open the harness .I did parasailing many years ago in Bali ,the same method from the beach but no one riding piggy back ,what is that all about .In my view the equipment was outdated and doing this from the beach sould be banned .

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Based on prior media reports, they also apparently had been operating entirely without any license or permit for their business.  So 10 years without ever being caught kind of shows you just how little safety enforcement is occurring out there.  It's the Wild West in Thailand.

BTW, am I the only one who thinks these guys look more like Africans than they do Thais???

Because they pay off the people with authority.

Because they work all day every day in the sun.

1 hour ago, Titan1962 said:

Sorry to see the death of any tourist here in Thailand. But when you live in or visit a country with very substandard regards towards life and safety, this sort of thing comes across as acceptable.Nothing will change,it's another day today and life goes on.

and death . . . and in the land of rebirth, the consequences are not as final. Are they?

Archived