Aussie victim blamed for his death by Thai parasailing men

webfact

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, alfen said:

In the video the crutch straps were never attached, if done up impossible to fall through

Sent from my U16 Max using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The crutch straps are 2 loops that you step into like a pair of trousers, the loops sit up into your groin and are mostly under the Tshirt, they are securely fastened. 

I used to do a lot of high wind windsurfing, straps on a harness never ever failed they are strong nylon webbing but the stitching points to the body of the harness often did. An investigation of the rig might show the stitching at the buckles and connection points could have deteriorated in the salt water.

I have looked closely at the video and freeze framed then blown up the stills, the right leg strap can clearly be seen in place on his leg, the left leg strap can not easily be seen but an extra piece of strap that was tucked into the strap by the helper implies it was in use. 

I would suggest that the stitching on the left leg restraint failed at the buckle throwing double the weight on the right side which then in turn failed at the stitching allowing Mr Hussey to slip downwards through the rig, this is the only scenario that makes sense as all the other straps around the waist and over the shoulders are meant for taking  upward strain from the rig.

I would also suggest that he was not seated on the little seat strap that might otherwise have take the strain.

Webbing.jpg

1 minute ago, alfen said:

Yet he still fell through.

Sent from my U16 Max using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

All the reports on the nightly news are saying he fell with the harness on, its appears in some of the photos and videos that he still has it on and it cannot be seen still attached to the parachute.

Of course somebody knows what part of the rigging failed or if he dropped with the harness on. It would be immediately obvious to anyone on the scene and the gear has been inspected since the event. It is the uselessness of reporting here that we don't know and so we have this circular discussion about what happened.

1 minute ago, canuckamuck said:

Of course somebody knows what part of the rigging failed or if he dropped with the harness on. It would be immediately obvious to anyone on the scene and the gear has been inspected since the event. It is the uselessness of reporting here that we don't know and so we have this circular discussion about what happened.

I am surprised no video or photos have come out showing him being rescued from the ocean etc, there must have been 100s taking video etc. As you say, we dont know.

8 hours ago, stevenl said:

Why would I have to admit anything, I got no beef at all in this. And admit'??

And are they stupid, looks to me more your western superiority complex speaking.

Do you have some sort of guilt complex? Are you trying to defend the indefensible (according to your western application of laws - which no one gives a s hit about in the Kingdom)?

I said THEY are stupid - why not admit it! (They should admit it!). Get the 'drift' now? :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, lvr181 said:

Do you have some sort of guilt complex? Are you trying to defend the indefensible (according to your western application of laws - which no one gives a s hit about in the Kingdom)?

I said THEY are stupid - why not admit it! (They should admit it!). Get the 'drift' now? :thumbsup:

Thanks for the explanation, got what you meant now.

Sorry to see you don't get the principle of not admitting while legal proceedings are going on. Also applicable in Thailand. 

They would be stupid to admit guild.

15 hours ago, stevenl said:

Thanks for the explanation, got what you meant now.

Sorry to see you don't get the principle of not admitting while legal proceedings are going on. Also applicable in Thailand. 

They would be stupid to admit guild.

"Sorry to see you don't get the principle of not admitting while legal proceedings are going on. Also applicable in Thailand."  Spoken like a lawyer or one who benefits from litigation!

Yes, I do get it. But this country does not have a first world legal system as many of us in modern western nations are used to.

"They would be stupid to admit guild."(sic) The operator/s (like many others) seem to have no concept of safety first or a duty of care to their customers. So why defend the indefensible? Take your medicine and learn from it.

Have a nice day. :thumbsup:

I haven't seen anyone use the victims name on this site, Mr Roger Hussey is his name, comes from where I come from Perth,  Western Australia nor have I seen any mention of the 30 or so Thais that would have been killed or badly injured on roads in Thailand that day....RIP all of them.

29 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

"Sorry to see you don't get the principle of not admitting while legal proceedings are going on. Also applicable in Thailand."  Spoken like a lawyer or one who benefits from litigation!

Yes, I do get it. But this country does not have a first world legal system as many of us in modern western nations are used to.

"They would be stupid to admit guild."(sic) The operator/s (like many others) seem to have no concept of safety first or a duty of care to their customers. So why defend the indefensible? Take your medicine and learn from it.

Have a nice day. :thumbsup:

Please show me where I am defending anything. Just pointing out ... (no point in that with you though). It really does not matter what kind of legal system we have here, admission of guild is a bad idea. Your linking this to safety standards makes no sense.

I'm out of here with you.

On 7/14/2017 at 3:39 PM, p_brownstone said:

Quite ridiculous; an urban myth - frequently, mindlessly, repeated however; as such myths often are.

Patrick

Sadly not. Although lets just say its to do with the level of education of the individual in question, but its endemic in the culture, and many people on here have had first hand experience of it, so hard to refute I'm afraid.

This video explains/shows some slow-motion and stills to illustrate what was likely a critical failure by parasailing operators ... allowing straps to slip under John Hussey's arms 

8 hours ago, idannyb said:

This video explains/shows some slow-motion and stills to illustrate what was likely a critical failure by parasailing operators ... allowing straps to slip under John Hussey's arms 

Nothing new here.

Has been explained the same on the other thread by several posters.

Does confirm in slo-mo though as a friend of mine said, that the Thai guy actually looked at the harness being under instead of over the shoulder @ 4:34-35.and did nothing.

Thats plain weird.

As for the comment on here after explaining about Rogers arm being strangled which is correct, they then say that he appeared to wave to people and therefore created the end result.

Thats crazy..the guys was simply trying to relieve the strangling effect.

Until pics and/or info telling if he was still in the harness or not,this is all just theory, albeit some plausible theory.

10 hours ago, idannyb said:

Thank you .... Best explantion yet here on Thaivisa.

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

Thank you .... Best explantion yet here on Thaivisa.

Like i said, nothing new on this.

Maybe the best "presented" explanation for those who couldn't understand the crux of the matter presented on other threads.

On 7/14/2017 at 1:39 AM, psyvolt said:

Ummmmm, they haven't let them go. Maybe try getting facts correct before going in with your rambling post.

Part of my quote: What other reaction could we have expected? Denial, obfuscation, and perhaps a setup, for the authorities to let these worms go, who may have a wealthy backer, who is influential, and is staging this whole charade. What are the chances this foreigner actually let himself go, as they insist? Was he not harnessed in? It is all about the work of cowards. Saving face.

Now, did I say anywhere the men had been let go? Perhaps you might benefit by reading posts, prior to commenting on them? I said perhaps it was a preamble to letting them go. Which may indeed be the case if they are connected, or the business is owned by someone with influence. 

And by calling my posts rambling, are you referring to the fact that they are more than 18 words? That some thought had been put into them prior to posting? 

[/url]  

Looks like the Thai guy realized what was happening just before lift off, but too late as there was too much tension on the towline, then proceeds to try and rescue the Aussie guy by grabbing him with his legs. I'm sure the Thai guys feel terrible about this, it was an awful accident which I put down to a lack of proper training and regulation. Yes, they're trying to wriggle out of doing time in jail .....in all honesty, knowing that a stretch inside wouldn't return the Aussie to this mortal coil, I'd be having a "it wasn't me" moment too.

Sent from my shed using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

17 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

Looks like the Thai guy realized what was happening just before lift off, but too late as there was too much tension on the towline, then proceeds to try and rescue the Aussie guy by grabbing him with his legs. I'm sure the Thai guys feel terrible about this, it was an awful accident which I put down to a lack of proper training and regulation. Yes, they're trying to wriggle out of doing time in jail .....in all honesty, knowing that a stretch inside wouldn't return the Aussie to this mortal coil, I'd be having a "it wasn't me" moment too.

Sent from my shed using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

"Looks like the Thai guy realized what was happening just before lift off, but too late as there was too much tension on the towline, then proceeds to try and rescue the Aussie guy by grabbing him with his legs"

Nothing on any videos presented that show anything remotely like that happening.

Archived