Aussie victim blamed for his death by Thai parasailing men

webfact

18 minutes ago, weri said:

sorry to say this, but if you watch the video closely you can see clearly that the Aussie was at fault for not holding the parachute correctly and it held him from under arm instead on top of shoulder, however the guy that tried to help and untangle did his best, but it is clearly the boat operator, that could have saved the situation if he would have watched what he was doing, especially observed the take off and if seen that something went wrong he could have slowed down or stopped  and both men on parachute would have safely landed. Also the guy who put the harness on should have given clearer instructions. Tragic accident,  

Yes, thats what the Thai TV news reports are saying, instead of hanging from the main black straps as he should have been, the straps are under his arms. In trying to rectify the situation the guy undid the shoulder cleats, thinking the black straps were holding him up.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Tuk Dua said:

I believe the parasailing harness is not designed to be able to be released when it is under load e.g. when the person is airborne, which is indicative that the harness was not correctly attached to the parasail, which as the video shows was quite a hurried activity.

The whole set up is clearly for "single occupancy" and is not designed for an additional person, so what was the other person doing climbing up into the rigging? It appeared that he was snagged by the harness at lift off, and climbed up on to Mr Hussey' shoulders to save himself from falling. This action could have caused the harness to release or to fail.

Agreed the harness cannot be released when under tension but it was not under tension because the sail straps were under the victim's armpits.

They always seem to have a second person here, not sure why but maybe release the customer quickly on landing if in the water.

A race car has leg straps to stop a driver going forward if an accident. Parachutists have leg straps to stop them falling out of their gear......I do not see this guy having leg straps to stop him falling out....I do not see a quick release thingy to let him out....

WHAT have you lot seen regarding leg straps....?

33 minutes ago, jane1 said:

Thank you, Fore Man for this technical detail. It is what I had been looking for since I first read the news about the tragedy yesterday. I did not understand how the man could've released his own harness in air (as suggested) since it had both the legs strapped in as well as the chest area secured. Is it possible, then, that the leg straps could have failed under strain, then he just slid out of the entire harness? In the video, we see his life jacked clipped on over the harness. 

Yes, it would be possible.  But it's only my educated guess. I just don't have enough solid detail yet.

Off course he is to blame hes a farang,thai never do any thing wrong,why the hell we live here i do not know we are always to blame,the problem is we have more sence in one finger than thai people,they are never wrong.i drove out of chiang rai last night in the rain i have never seen so many with no lights on the back of there motor bikes.

40 minutes ago, transam said:

Did he have leg straps...?...I saw those flapping in the wind.....

You saw the loose ends of the straps...they were clipped into their mating D-rings on the harness....how securely is the issue. 

4 minutes ago, transam said:

A race car has leg straps to stop a driver going forward if an accident. Parachutists have leg straps to stop them falling out of their gear......I do not see this guy having leg straps to stop him falling out....I do not see a quick release thingy to let him out....

The leg straps are loops and you first put the harness on like a pair of trousers, they end up in your groin like a jockstrap.

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

The leg straps are loops and you first put the harness on like a pair of trousers, they end up in your groin like a jockstrap.

But he ain't got none, but has dangling straps...What are they for....?

A car leg straps are not loops, they are two straps to make loops...

15 minutes ago, Mianoinadme said:

+ 1. Spot on. It sounds very understandable to me. 

But...many of these operators use tandem yokes that are designed to suspend two passengers. It still doesn't explain why the Thai crew member climbed on and rode aloft, apparently not clipped into the yoke. If he subsequently clambered on top of the deceased, that added weight could have pressed down on the deceased with much greater force, causing the (possibly worn) leg straps to unravel and pass through their retaining adapters.  Thus the man could have fallen under gravity downwards and into the water. It's a stretch and only one possible explanation. 

Lots of people dont seem to be aware that the Thai guy hanging in the rigging is normal in thailand, all parasailing operators do it. The main reason is they often operate on a crowded beach and the thai guy steers the parachute back to the take off spot for landing. Otherwise a change in wind and  the parachute could come down on top of people , in the water etc.

RIP sorry to hear this happen,

I've been going to Thailand for over 25 years and have never gone parasailing, jet skiing, parachuting, bungy jumping things in that nature as safety is not the same standard's as Western Country's, that's why a lot of travel insurance policy's have that small print if you do any of these activities your insurance will be void.

Saying that i had my Pilots license in Australia and thought i would take it up in Thailand after some time not flying, jumped in a 2 seater Cessna at a strip near chon Buri with a instructor who was as old as the hills, circling around Ko Larn i mention there's not many places to put her down if the engine went kaput, the instructor said no problems Buddha and he was stroking a buddha figurine on the dash, couldn't wait to get back on the ground and thought not a good idea in Thailand ha ha.

5 hours ago, Titan1962 said:

Sorry to see the death of any tourist here in Thailand. But when you live in or visit a country with very substandard regards towards life and safety, this sort of thing comes across as acceptable.Nothing will change,it's another day today and life goes on.

How is it considered acceptable when the men have been jailed?

22 minutes ago, Tuk Dua said:

I believe the parasailing harness is not designed to be able to be released when it is under load e.g. when the person is airborne, which is indicative that the harness was not correctly attached to the parasail, which as the video shows was quite a hurried activity.

The whole set up is clearly for "single occupancy" and is not designed for an additional person, so what was the other person doing climbing up into the rigging? It appeared that he was snagged by the harness at lift off, and climbed up on to Mr Hussey' shoulders to save himself from falling. This action could have caused the harness to release or to fail.

There is absolutely no point in having a "quick release" mechanism when a Parasail is under load; if you jettison the connection to the Boat / Tow Rope, then what do you do? Fall out of the sky like a brick is what you do - simple.

I am a long term Sports Jumper - well, not so much now because at my age my knees are just not up to it - but with a Sports Parachute rig you have a Reserve canopy and if your Main fails you can jettison it and open your backup. There is no such option with a Parasail.

Patrick

4 minutes ago, transam said:

But he ain't got none, but has dangling straps...What are they for....?

A car leg straps are not loops, they are two straps to make loops...

Yes they are straps that make loops (adjustable) but they leave them set as loops, not undone for every customer. Off one customer and on to another. 

6 hours ago, happyas said:

I don't think it would  be probable or likely for it too have been the Aussies fault, but it is quite possible.

As is posted, these particular guys have 10 years operating previously without an accident.

Not saying it was or was not, but wait and see what comes up, instead of constantly Thai bashing and conspiracy theories that abound .

It is not easily possible to release yourself from the harness.

As I posted yesterday I have been up in these parasails, 

The harness is attached to the para sail with two shoulder hooks, the harness is "stepped into' meaning you have two legs loops to prevent you from slipping down/through and out of the harness, the harness has two body straps, across the upper & lower chest.

It's almost impossible for the harness to be "released" by mistake or even if the passenger is struggling.

My bet is the harness failed in the area of the leg loops someway and he slipped down out of the harness!

6 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I would blame the Thai guy with dreadlocks who jumped on the back of the tourist as it took off.

1 tourist in a harness, and one Thai person sitting on his shoulders isn't normal operating procedure.

No spotter in the boat either, you're supposed to have a driver (looking forward and steering), and a spotter (watching the person towed) in the boat.

In that way - Parasailing is done in Phuket since long, I come since 1990 when strong winds are blowing or the passenger looks weak, is old or a woman. 

The second guy sits in the ropes and not on the shoulders = above the shoulders in the Parasail ropes.

My opinion - with strong winds, from the sea towards the beach is the second Thai-man on the umbrella necessary to bring the flier or umbrella to sink - otherwise it can hang like a dragon in the wind - if the passenger does not know what to do Or wind too strong for the passenger.

In Caribbean, the umbrellas were launched in platform in sea in St.Lucia a couple of decades ago, and later rope was hooked into a carabiner on platform to land precisely on platform and also because strong wind, the umbrellas did not drop. ;-)

I tend to believe the Thai men, number one, if he released his own harness, which is easy to do if you have no idea of what you are doing, a Thai man is not going to be able to hold on to a big falang. 2 it was his choice to go up there in the first place, 3, I have did this so I know of which I speak.4. the harnesses are really old and you should thoroughly check them out before you put it on.

43 minutes ago, transam said:

We have seen leg straps attached.

actually, if you watch the vid of the harness being fitted, the Thai assistant appears to do a good enough job, with the exception of not securing the tail ends of the straps, (which is not a cardinal sin)

i shall attach the picture that I posted yesterday, for you to see what we see... hope it helps ( note the general worn condition of the harness)

IMG_4300.PNG

5 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

It is not easily possible to release yourself from the harness.

As I posted yesterday I have been up in these parasails, 

The harness is attached to the para sail with two shoulder hooks, the harness is "stepped into' meaning you have two legs loops to prevent you from slipping down/through and out of the harness, the harness has two body straps, across the upper & lower chest.

It's almost impossible for the harness to be "released" by mistake or even if the passenger is struggling.

My bet is the harness failed in the area of the leg loops someway and he slipped down out of the harness!

Usually not possible to undo the shoulder cleats but in this instance the main lines to the parachute were under the guys arms and taking his weight

"It was the tourist who let go then in trying to hold on again released himself.

Rungroj said that he tried to hold onto him but was unable to".

Should it matter that he let go? This sort of equipment and harness should be practically fool proof. Plenty of working at height and climbing harness available that allow your hand's to be free. Perhaps I'm missing something but it seems equipment was not fit for purpose. As another member highlighted authorities should be held accountable for not enforcing higher standards. Difficult part will be identifying who the relevant authorities are. Each department will be pointing the finger at other departments. 

35 minutes ago, Fore Man said:

But...many of these operators use tandem yokes that are designed to suspend two passengers. It still doesn't explain why the Thai crew member climbed on and rode aloft, apparently not clipped into the yoke. If he subsequently clambered on top of the deceased, that added weight could have pressed down on the deceased with much greater force, causing the (possibly worn) leg straps to unravel and pass through their retaining adapters.  Thus the man could have fallen under gravity downwards and into the water. It's a stretch and only one possible explanation. 

In that way - Parasailing is done in Phuket since long, I come since 1990 when strong winds are blowing or the passenger looks weak, is old or a woman. 

The second guy sits in the ropes and not on the shoulders = above the shoulders in the Parasail ropes.

My opinion - with strong winds, from the sea towards the beach is the second Thai-man on the umbrella necessary to bring the flier or umbrella to sink - otherwise it can hang like a dragon in the wind - if the passenger does not know what to do Or wind too strong for the passenger.

1 hour ago, Tuk Dua said:

3 minutes ago, captspectre said:

I tend to believe the Thai men, number one, if he released his own harness, which is easy to do if you have no idea of what you are doing, a Thai man is not going to be able to hold on to a big falang. 2 it was his choice to go up there in the first place, 3, I have did this so I know of which I speak.4. the harnesses are really old and you should thoroughly check them out before you put it on.

Interesting.....

1. Releasing a harness strap under tension is almost impossible if you don't know what your doing.... and very hard if you do know what your doing

2. Yes... his choice, but what he chose was a fun activity offered on a beach. What he got was death. I don't think that was a choice

3. Clearly not

4. An expert should inspect this equipment daily.... the punter has no experience at doing this

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Copy & pasted from the net:

Check where the operator allows customers to take off

Many parasailing injuries have occurred as a result of negligent operators “dragging” customers up from the beach rather than from the boat’s platform. If you notice a parasailing operator doing this, you should stay away. Although it may seem like more of a thrill, the practice is risky and the operator does not have the same amount of control over what happens to you as you take off as he or she would if you are standing safely on the platform of the boat.

Okay.

Why?

Because falling from boat platform is in deeper water?

Sounds logical

53 minutes ago, hutchings1963 said:

why the hell we live here i do not know we are always to blame,the problem is we have more sence in one finger than thai people

Ha ha ha, well bugger off then, Thailand doesnt need another Racist Farang residing in it. 

1 minute ago, farcanell said:

Interesting.....

1. Releasing a harness strap under tension is almost impossible if you don't know what your doing.... and very hard if you do know what your doing

2. Yes... his choice, but what he chose was a fun activity offered on a beach. What he got was death. I don't think that was a choice

3. Clearly not

4. An expert should inspect this equipment daily.... the punter has no experience at doing this

1 minute ago, farcanell said:

Interesting.....

3. Clearly not

have you seen the harnesses? you go up at your own risk! when I go up I hang onto the chute lines, not the harness. and they have been sewed up so many times that is really is not safe to go anywhere near those things  quit trying to argue and get your butt on the beach and take the ride!

Archived