Windows 10 - how to delay/disable automatic updates?

Encid

Windows 10 has mandatory automatic updates, and it seems to install these updates at the most inopportune times.

Then it performs a restart, usually at night, and this stops any software I have running so my progress is lost.

I understand that if you are running Windows 10 Professional, Enterprise or Education edition, you have access to Group Policy Editor and can apply a change to configure automatic updating by switching to Notify for download and notify for install.

But for Windows 10 Home users like me, there does not seem to be a way of delaying or disabling these updates.

I know that there's also a way of fooling Windows if you're on a WiFi connection. When you mark a connection as “metered”, Windows thinks it’s not broadband connection – maybe you’re tethering from your phone or you’re on a limited internet connection. Metered connection means Windows will delay downloading and installing updates when connected to that network.

But if you’re using Ethernet (Fiber Optic or ADSL) there’s no way to fool Microsoft. They know you’re on an able bodied network so no reason not to download their updates.

Don't get me wrong... security updates are important and healthy for my system, but driver updates and software updates are sometimes a PITA and I end up with a hung system in the morning when I want to use it.

I want to be in control of my updates, and not be dictated to by Microsoft.

I want to choose what updates I want to install and when to install them.

Does anyone know of a fix?

Windows 10 has mandatory automatic updates, and it seems to install these updates at the most inopportune times.
Then it performs a restart, usually at night, and this stops any software I have running so my progress is lost.

I understand that if you are running Windows 10 Professional, Enterprise or Education edition, you have access to Group Policy Editor and can apply a change to configure automatic updating by switching to Notify for download and notify for install.
But for Windows 10 Home users like me, there does not seem to be a way of delaying or disabling these updates.

I know that there's also a way of fooling Windows if you're on a WiFi connection. When you mark a connection as “metered”, Windows thinks it’s not broadband connection – maybe you’re tethering from your phone or you’re on a limited internet connection. Metered connection means Windows will delay downloading and installing updates when connected to that network.

But if you’re using Ethernet (Fiber Optic or ADSL) there’s no way to fool Microsoft. They know you’re on an able bodied network so no reason not to download their updates.

Don't get me wrong... security updates are important and healthy for my system, but driver updates and software updates are sometimes a PITA and I end up with a hung system in the morning when I want to use it.
I want to be in control of my updates, and not be dictated to by Microsoft.
I want to choose what updates I want to install and when to install them.

Does anyone know of a fix?

You can make a change using the Registry Editor if you are happy to do that.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/meter-your-ethernet-connection-in-windows-10/

Sent from my Lenovo K52e78 using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Encid said:

I have Win 10 Home edition.  I go into Windows Services and disable Windows Update.

right-click little Win icon in lower left corner:

Computer Management -> Services and Applications -> Services

scroll down to Windows Update, right-click on it, select Properties

at Startup Type pulldown click Disabled

click Apply button

wait a few seconds, then under Service status click Stop

then Apply

... and that should do it.  When you want to turn it back on (like I will be doing this weekend to get this month's updates) go back to this window and for

Startup type click Automatic , then Apply

then click Start

then Apply

There was another thread on this not long ago where members offered a few other solutions, most of which didn't apply to Win 10 Home, so after a little experimenting I stuck with the above method.  If it ain't broke....

I suggest using Automatic because even if you reboot and get the message "updates installed successfully" there still may be something going on during your next few reboots.  Access updates via the settings panel to force an update check.

You also set up your internet connection in Win10 as "metered" so that it doesn't update. I find this useful if I'm on a wifi hotspot that comes off a SIM card in a mobile device and data charges are an issue.

Here's how to set up a Metered Connection in Windows 10.
  • Open the start menu and select Settings.
  • Click the Network and Internet link.
  • Select Wi-Fi from the sidebar.
  • Click the Manage known network link under your existing connection.
  • Choose the network you're currently using from the list of available ones.

Here's a great solution, the option is hidden.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3085136/windows/two-ways-to-control-or-stop-windows-10-updates.html

If you have a Professional, Enterprise, or Education edition of Windows 10, you can turn off automatic updates. But the option is hidden.

1. Press Win-R, type gpedit.msc, press Enter. This brings up the Local Group Policy Editor.
  2. Navigate the left pane as if it were File Explorer, to 
    Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update.
  3. Find and double-click Configure Automatic Updates 0711 group policy step 3

After changing to Win 10 almost every time they did an update, I got BSOD with Bad Pool errors. After months of checking all discs, drivers etc and chatting in line ( using iPad) to Microsoft and even letting them remotely access my laptop, sill  a problem. 

Eventually MS suggested to completely reinstall Windows from a clean install. 

Following instructions to the letter i did so and for what must be over a year now,no problems.all if a sudden the Bad Pool Error has started again so I also am very interested in being able to control whenthe updates are installed so at least I get the chance to create a backup point before each update. 

Furthmore i I am really not very happy at some faceless  and non accountable organisation entering my laptop without my knowledge. What ever happened to privacy?

9 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

After changing to Win 10 almost every time they did an update, I got BSOD with Bad Pool errors. After months of checking all discs, drivers etc and chatting in line ( using iPad) to Microsoft and even letting them remotely access my laptop, sill  a problem. 

Eventually MS suggested to completely reinstall Windows from a clean install. 

Following instructions to the letter i did so and for what must be over a year now,no problems.all if a sudden the Bad Pool Error has started again so I also am very interested in being able to control whenthe updates are installed so at least I get the chance to create a backup point before each update. 

Furthmore i I am really not very happy at some faceless  and non accountable organisation entering my laptop without my knowledge. What ever happened to privacy?

Did you know that you can delete updates? It's always possible to make a "clean install" that also comes with all the newest updates installed.

Please get back should you not be able to solve your problem. 

P.S. Install "shut up" . Please see and read here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/oo_shutup10.html

Here are six tools that might be of interest for you:

http://bgr.com/2015/08/14/windows-10-spying-prevention-privacy-tools/

On 7/15/2017 at 2:17 AM, bendejo said:

I have Win 10 Home edition.  I go into Windows Services and disable Windows Update.

right-click little Win icon in lower left corner:

Computer Management -> Services and Applications -> Services

scroll down to Windows Update, right-click on it, select Properties

at Startup Type pulldown click Disabled

click Apply button

wait a few seconds, then under Service status click Stop

then Apply

... and that should do it.  When you want to turn it back on (like I will be doing this weekend to get this month's updates) go back to this window and for

Startup type click Automatic , then Apply

then click Start

then Apply

There was another thread on this not long ago where members offered a few other solutions, most of which didn't apply to Win 10 Home, so after a little experimenting I stuck with the above method.  If it ain't broke....

I suggest using Automatic because even if you reboot and get the message "updates installed successfully" there still may be something going on during your next few reboots.  Access updates via the settings panel to force an update check.

Fantastic thank you. :thumbsup:

Exactly the answer I needed.

Archived