Thailand Golf Handicap

ruds

Join either the Pattaya Sports Club, IPCG, Birdie or presumably any Thai golf club and input cards to generate a handicap.

I can comment on the Pattaya Sports Club as I use it - can independently input cards online, no checking of scores unless you are playing in an organised competition or with a group where the organiser inputs for you. Handicap based on USGA system. One off joining fee and then small annual fee which gives you discounted golf around Pattaya - you could just use it for the handicap of course.

IPGC - uses Congu system.

Birdie - see separate post from TV.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Golf handicap Thailand ...yeah ... I know several Thais who have a 13 handicap, but seem to frequently play to 3 .......

Unfortunately not limited to Thais - look at any of the bigger competitions and check the winning scores - both individual and teams.

I have played in some Texas Scrambles around Pattaya,but only because it is a good price and our group is playing for the fun. Afterwards we just sit and laugh at the winning scores :biggrin:

6 hours ago, topt said:

Unfortunately not limited to Thais - look at any of the bigger competitions and check the winning scores - both individual and teams.

I have played in some Texas Scrambles around Pattaya,but only because it is a good price and our group is playing for the fun. Afterwards we just sit and laugh at the winning scores :biggrin:

Actually sometimes the score is for real ...we used to play with Thailand Seniors ..Mrs J had a genuine 18 h/c ... we played the annual comp at Muang Ake a few years ago and she shot 12 over!! ...she actually won the lady prize ..but only by one shot ...... she has never got near that 12 over again.... I always feel sorry for my caddy as they seem to gamble on us at every hole ...big mistake!!

6 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Actually sometimes the score is for real .

Emphasis on the sometimes unfortunately. More likely to happen in an individual comp - but it is when you see the same people with high 40s points score playing off mid-high teens handicap. Apparently happens a lot around Pattaya.

• 4 months later...
On 7/16/2017 at 2:37 PM, topt said:

Join either the Pattaya Sports Club, IPCG, Birdie or presumably any Thai golf club and input cards to generate a handicap.

I can comment on the Pattaya Sports Club as I use it - can independently input cards online, no checking of scores unless you are playing in an organised competition or with a group where the organiser inputs for you. Handicap based on USGA system. One off joining fee and then small annual fee which gives you discounted golf around Pattaya - you could just use it for the handicap of course.

IPGC - uses Congu system.

Birdie - see separate post from TV.

What sort of prices are you paying for a club membership? 

1 hour ago, BobbyL said:

What sort of prices are you paying for a club membership? 

Are you talking PSC or an actual golf club membership?

PSC see here - http://pattayasports.org/online-membership-2/

Golf club - you would have to find out if any available and they will vary. This was one on offer via someone I know a month ago - it may still be available.

1) SIAM COUNTRY CLUB OLD COURSE 20 YEAR MEMBERSHIP.

This is currently a life membership for the Old Course, but when it is sold it will revert to a 20 year membership for the Old Course.
The seller would like 300,000 for the membership and also the buyer needs to pay the 50,000 baht transfer fee.
Anyone who may be interested in this, its totally legitimate, please contact me.

14 hours ago, topt said:

Golf club - you would have to find out if any available and they will vary. This was one on offer via someone I know a month ago - it may still be available.

I am not sure how it works here generally. I thought there maybe something similar to the UK where you might pay 1000 - 2000GBP and that would give you an annual membership with unlimited play, club competitions, handicap etc.

Does it not really work like that here? I am not really interested in some sort of Lifetime Membership. 

6 hours ago, BobbyL said:

I am not sure how it works here generally. I thought there maybe something similar to the UK where you might pay 1000 - 2000GBP and that would give you an annual membership with unlimited play, club competitions, handicap etc.

Does it not really work like that here? I am not really interested in some sort of Lifetime Membership. 

Siam had an offer before for 60k baht (not sure if running any more) for 1 year to play any of the 3 Siam courses but Mon-Fri only. You would still have to pay caddy fee, tip and cart fee.

I am not aware of what may be available at other courses especially around Bangkok.

29 minutes ago, topt said:

Siam had an offer before for 60k baht (not sure if running any more) for 1 year to play any of the 3 Siam courses but Mon-Fri only. You would still have to pay caddy fee, tip and cart fee.

I am not aware of what may be available at other courses especially around Bangkok.

Okay thanks. That is a reasonable price, but not ideal if no weekend play. I have sent a few emails but had no responses so far. 

1 minute ago, BobbyL said:

Okay thanks. That is a reasonable price, but not ideal if no weekend play. I have sent a few emails but had no responses so far. 

Not sure how long you have been in Thailand but in my personal experience, and hearsay from others, there is a very low response to English written emails sent to Thai businesses - even when you are looking to buy something. Personally I would try and call first and or tell them you have sent an email.

Best of luck. 

8 minutes ago, topt said:

Not sure how long you have been in Thailand but in my personal experience, and hearsay from others, there is a very low response to English written emails sent to Thai businesses - even when you are looking to buy something. Personally I would try and call first and or tell them you have sent an email.

Best of luck. 

Yeah, I think you're right. 

Thanks for the help. 

21 hours ago, topt said:

I wouldn't risk getting life time membership as the golf club can change the rules anytime it wants, as I believe happened to Phoenix Golf Club?

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Are they good to use? 

The form, TGA or the Handicap Card? Yes, yes and yes.

I have dealt with TGA for many years and they are one of the friendliest, most professional bunch of individuals I have ever met. Office at the Ramkhamhaeng Stadium. I also like the idea that handicaps are published online, so in situations where hcp is required (like Singapore) you can easily be looked up. TGA is the real deal in Thailand. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Forethat said:

I have dealt with TGA for many years and they are one of the friendliest, most professional bunch of individuals I have ever met. Office at the Ramkhamhaeng Stadium. I also like the idea that handicaps are published online, so in situations where hcp is required (like Singapore) you can easily be looked up. TGA is the real deal in Thailand. :thumbsup:

interesting.

did I read that correctly - the procedure is to enter every single casual golf round with marker's signature?

By the way, are there "serious" official amateur tournaments ?

I'm not talking about the expensive golf weekends or Pattaya series, but I was unable to find any information about other amateur golf tournaments.

The other day after playing a round I saw a promotion for the Kasikorn tournaments with a finale at Amata.

I'd be interested in websites listing tournaments or even tournament calendars of individual clubs? any ideas?

10 hours ago, Forethat said:

Excellent thanks. I will join them.

Do they only calculate your handicap from certain courses in Thailand (ie - Do they have courses they recognise as being the required standard)?

8 hours ago, manarak said:

I'm not talking about the expensive golf weekends or Pattaya series, but I was unable to find any information about other amateur golf tournaments.

The other day after playing a round I saw a promotion for the Kasikorn tournaments with a finale at Amata.

I'd be interested in websites listing tournaments or even tournament calendars of individual clubs? any ideas?

I would like to know more too. I know a Facebook page called Fore Management post info on things like this. There is some tournament in Pattaya this week they have been publicising. 

6 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Excellent thanks. I will join them.

Do they only calculate your handicap from certain courses in Thailand (ie - Do they have courses they recognise as being the required standard)?

As long as the golf course in Thailand has a course rating it will be available in their list of courses when you register your round. If it isn't available you can still register the round as long as there is a course rating for the course in question. You login and register casual rounds online, if you play a tournament the organiser usually reports to TGA in which case the round is marked as a tournament ("T") round.    

• Like 1

15 hours ago, manarak said:

Yes. On the TGA-website you'll find that Amateur events are listed as well as all events on the Thai Amateur Tour. If you are a TGA-member you can sign up for all tournaments listed - even the tour events (as long as your hcp is low enough). 

Edited by Forethat

31 minutes ago, Forethat said:

As long as the golf course in Thailand has a course rating it will be available in their list of courses when you register your round. If it isn't available you can still register the round as long as there is a course rating for the course in question. You login and register casual rounds online, if you play a tournament the organiser usually reports to TGA in which case the round is marked as a tournament ("T") round.    

Perfect. Going to get my application sent off this weekend. 

1 hour ago, Forethat said:

Yes. On the TGA-website you'll find that Amateur events are listed as well as all events on the Thai Amateur Tour. If you are a TGA-member you can sign up for all tournaments listed - even the tour events (as long as your hcp is low enough). 

thank you - I spent some time on the site, but wasn't able to locate relevant information.

I don't know what to make of the "open tournament" section, as all dates listed are in the past - or is there a calendar only accessible after login?

• 1 month later...