What Snake Is This?

jeffandgop

2 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

Thanks Crossy. My pic is similar to the link as well as the descriptive details. I took it to a field nearby and cut it loose. 

Thanks, most people kill anything that moves.

regards Worgeordie

5 hours ago, tonray said:

The local rats are filing a grievance

Which ones on TV are you talking about ? 

OP you can look on FB we have a great snake forum in HH called snakes of Hua Hin. The group is easy to join and you can place photos for identification. They even have a catching service locally. 

6 hours ago, jeffandgop said:

Thanks Crossy. My pic is similar to the link as well as the descriptive details. I took it to a field nearby and cut it loose. 

..a few years back i was talking to a farang in a mall..we got onto the topics of snakes..he mentioned he caught one in his yard at HangDong..he said he took it with his daughter quite some distance and let it go..he then asked me where i lived and after giving him a description it would appear he let the bloody thing free right near my home..oh well.

As a general rule, snakes that drop onto you are most likely to be pythons (non-venomous) and more scared of you than vice-versa.  Snakes underfoot are usually venomous.  There are exceptions to both rules.  

The same applies to head sizes: if a snake has a head narrower than its neck it's most likely venomous; the big-headed are mostly pythons (constrictors).

Rattlesnakes and others in the viper family all have big lovely, striking (no pun intended) heads.  Most snakes (again, exceptions apply in breeding season, if they feel vulnerable after shedding, etc) avoid interaction with people and will slip away without ever being seen by you.

On the other hand. the super  deadly breeds can be almost arrogantly  fearless  even if they know you are about. Resist the temptation to intimidate or bother them.  

People can walk faster than a snake can cover ground and there's no shame in keeping well clear. 

As long as you're outside strike range (about the length of the snake's body.  

Snakes have poor vision at the best of times - it's why normal prey defence is to freeze until the snake goes away.  

Unfortunately I've also seen non-venomous snakes start to bung on an act of ferocity, pretendng they're actually a venomous breed, coiled and ready  to strike. Might work fine with other animals but a death warrant if they do it in front of a human.

A long, stiff-bristle farang-stryle yardbroom can be used to encourage snakes up to about a metre. long to go somewhere else without hurting them unnecessarily.  You can also drop the plastic lid of a standard rubbish bin over them and contain them with a housebrick on top until an experienced handler can deal with them for you. 

The non-venomous species can be great pets, very low maintenance, no smell, (their droppings are just like chalk sticks)  and they need little water (altho they love a swim).  They prefer to kill live food - a standard rat oncce a fortnight is enough (depending on size, of course), They can be beautiful, fqascinating house-friendly companions - rodents won't share a house with them if you let them explore your interior occasionally.  They're great escape artists and should only wander your house freely under close supervision.  A/conditioenrs make them sluggish. They can hibernate in  cloth bag quite happily when you need them out of the way of visitors.

18 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

OP you can look on FB we have a great snake forum in HH called snakes of Hua Hin. The group is easy to join and you can place photos for identification. They even have a catching service locally. 

Facebook page by same people "Snakes of Chiang Mai"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/121136308469728/

10 hours ago, sandemara said:

As a general rule, snakes that drop onto you are most likely to be pythons (non-venomous) and more scared of you than vice-versa.  Snakes underfoot are usually venomous.  There are exceptions to both rules.  

The same applies to head sizes: if a snake has a head narrower than its neck it's most likely venomous; the big-headed are mostly pythons (constrictors).

Rattlesnakes and others in the viper family all have big lovely, striking (no pun intended) heads.  Most snakes (again, exceptions apply in breeding season, if they feel vulnerable after shedding, etc) avoid interaction with people and will slip away without ever being seen by you.

On the other hand. the super  deadly breeds can be almost arrogantly  fearless  even if they know you are about. Resist the temptation to intimidate or bother them.  

People can walk faster than a snake can cover ground and there's no shame in keeping well clear. 

Snakes have poor vision at the best of times - it's why normal prey defence is to freeze until the snake goes away.  

Unfortunately I've also seen non-venomous snakes start to bung on an act of ferocity, pretendng they're actually a venomous breed, coiled and ready  to strike. Might work fine with other animals but a death warrant if they do it in front of a human.

A long, stiff-bristle farang-stryle yardbroom can be used to encourage snakes up to about a metre. long to go somewhere else without hurting them unnecessarily.  You can also drop the plastic lid of a standard rubbish bin over them and contain them with a housebrick on top until an experienced handler can deal with them for you. 

The non-venomous species can be great pets, very low maintenance, no smell, (their droppings are just like chalk sticks)  and they need little water (altho they love a swim).  They prefer to kill live food - a standard rat oncce a fortnight is enough (depending on size, of course), They can be beautiful, fqascinating house-friendly companions - rodents won't share a house with them if you let them explore your interior occasionally.  They're great escape artists and should only wander your house freely under close supervision.  A/conditioenrs make them sluggish. They can hibernate in  cloth bag quite happily when you need them out of the way of visitors.

11 hours ago, sandemara said:

Thank you for this great write up. I wasn't concerned for myself, rather my small dog that is very curious about anything he comes across in our yard. 

On 7/16/2017 at 1:40 PM, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

I thought the snakes of HH was affiliated to the snakes of CM. 

I spent a long time reading that page, excellent info and the experts on their are indeed experts, not the ones on here where we end up with 10 different species.

well worth a browse if nothing else.

and to prove a point, I was going to suggest it was a young golden tree snake that hadnt yet developed the coloured markings.

5 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

I was going to suggest it was a young golden tree snake that hadnt yet developed the coloured markings.

I originally thought he was a Golden, but on closer inspection he really doesn't look anything like one.

8 hours ago, canthai55 said:

The world’s fastest snake can’t travel faster than a human. The black mamba, the current record-holder for fastest snake, can only travel 12 mph. The average human can run at least 15 mph.

https://www.quora.com/Can-a-snake-run-faster-than-a-man

I think you will find only Usain Bolt can outrun a snake then when he is sprinting at 22mph.

a pro marathon runner is doing 13mph at world record pace

and eyecatcher can still just about manage a 10k (6miles) in 45 minutes so thats 8mph

but hey if you are likely to see a black mamba make sure you have your fat mate with you

23 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

I thought the snakes of HH was affiliated to the snakes of CM. 

I spent a long time reading that page, excellent info and the experts on their are indeed experts, not the ones on here where we end up with 10 different species.

well worth a browse if nothing else.

and to prove a point, I was going to suggest it was a young golden tree snake that hadnt yet developed the coloured markings.

Post ID #11

"Facebook page by same people "Snakes of Chiang Mai"

Archived