Bread Making Machine -recommendations

strikingsunset

9 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Its not the machine which makes the dough rise.   Are you sure the yeast you are using is live? 

Thanks, I have got three different yeast brands, none state they are ' live' just  -high active -easy bake- etc.

Please can you recommend a yeast brand/type ? and I will be delighted to try it....   

2 minutes ago, strikingsunset said:

Thanks, I have got three different yeast brands

You can easily check the yeast -- Just place a teaspoon of yeast and one of sugar in a glass of warm water --- If it bubbles and froths it is live! 

23 minutes ago, perthperson said:

You can easily check the yeast -- Just place a teaspoon of yeast and one of sugar in a glass of warm water --- If it bubbles and froths it is live! 

That is very useful to know, thank you...............yes the yeast is ' live'.....

Just now, strikingsunset said:

That is very useful to know, thank you...............yes the yeast is ' live'.....

OK -- You will have to look elsewhere for the problem. Remember that bread dough will rise if placed in a plastic bowel covered with a cloth -- especially in warm Thailand.  Perhaps you need to return to a basic recipe? 

55 minutes ago, strikingsunset said:

Thanks, I have got three different yeast brands, none state they are ' live' just  -high active -easy bake- etc.

Please can you recommend a yeast brand/type ? and I will be delighted to try it....   

http://www.algistbruggeman.be/en/catalogue_instant-yeast_162.aspx

They invented instant yeast I think. Available at Tops.

If you are dead set on replacing your machine I can recommend the Homemate brand from Verasu. I have been baking on the average of two loaves a week for the last two years with no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

5 hours ago, Klong Song said:

If you are dead set on replacing your machine I can recommend the Homemate brand from Verasu. I have been baking on the average of two loaves a week for the last two years with no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

It seems the problem is the machine is 'wacked' so I will look at the Homemate brand, thank you     OP 

On 16/07/2017 at 7:36 AM, strikingsunset said:

I have been using a Panasonic but it seems to be ' worn out' ( 5 years old) as the dough no longer rises despite having tried virtually everything.

As mentioned, the dough should rise even if just left in a bowl at room temperature. Bread machines usually apply a little heat during the proving process in order to speed it up a bit, so maybe yours is no longer heating as it should and so it doesnt rise enough in the time allowed.

Otherwise it may be that you are simply using too much salt which will kill the yeast completely. What is your exact recipe in grams? How are you putting the yeast and salt in? They should never touch until mixed.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2017 at 2:59 PM, strikingsunset said:

I totally accept that, a friend, ex chef, has offered to teach me... I will still keep a bread machine option too, thanks.. OP

Yeah, I'd go along with that although I do use a bread machine (Panasonic) for a loaf but make chapatis by hand for the many Gujarati dishes I cook.

On 8/2/2017 at 7:59 PM, strikingsunset said:

OP again - thanks for all the advice - it was the bread machine - maybe exhausted- I bought a ( resale ) moulinex bread machine and it's delivering wonderful bread

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

What time should we be over ?

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a new bread machine through Lazada that was delivered the day before yesterday.  I have never used or owned one before and mainly bought it to kneed dough for pizza, tortillas and rolls that would actually be cooked elsewhere.

I selected the Morries 19 in 1 bread machine.  It is supplied with a cookbook with 14 recipes in both Thai and English which also includes limited operating instructions.  It also comes with a pamphlet in Thai, no English, which has a slightly more complete set of operating instructions.

Yesterday I decided to try their recipe for French bread. I put the ingredients into the tub and the next instruction was to plug it in and select French bread number 5 which I did.  Then, due to lack of instructions, the problems began.  I got to the point of thinking about getting the biggest hammer that I had to align the control panel and decided to take a break.  When I went back I found that the buttons on the control panel are very sensitive and finally was able to select menu item 5, a 500gr loaf and medium color.  I pushed start and about 3 hours and 15 minutes later dumped out a very nice loaf of perfect French bread with a crispy crust.  There are no instructions on the operation of the “raisin Dispenser” but I suspect that it will operate at the appropriate time on all cycles no matter whether it is installed or not.  There is also a delayed start function which is not explained.  It seems that if you hold the menu button down on the selected item a “reserved” message come up on the screen on the display and you can set the start timer from “0” to 14 hours, 59 minutes by depressing the + or - buttons

In addition there are 5 additional menu settings available that are not explained anywhere: bake, white rice, sticky rice, stir fry and ferment.  My next attempt will be a cinnamon and raisin sweet bread to test the raisin dispenser box.

In the end, I guess that I am lucky that it actually came with a set of limited instructions and cook book in English.  If it hadn’t, I’m sure that my sledge hammer would have ended the problem by now!

17 hours ago, wayned said:

In addition there are 5 additional menu settings available that are not explained anywhere: bake, white rice, sticky rice, stir fry and ferment.  My next attempt will be a cinnamon and raisin sweet bread to test the raisin dispenser box.

I can not help you with this brand (I have a Kenwood) but from my experience, it is not a good idea to use these machines with raisins.

The dough hook has simply too much force for something fragile as a raisin: if it hit the raisin it will damage it. If it hits it again, you will end up with raisin pulp. To avoid this, the manufacturers install these dispensers which will release the raisins at the end of the kneading process, but it is far from perfect.

I always add the raisins manually when the dough is ready and knead it softly for a minute by hand.  

5 hours ago, U235 said:

I can not help you with this brand (I have a Kenwood) but from my experience, it is not a good idea to use these machines with raisins.

The dough hook has simply too much force for something fragile as a raisin: if it hit the raisin it will damage it. If it hits it again, you will end up with raisin pulp. To avoid this, the manufacturers install these dispensers which will release the raisins at the end of the kneading process, but it is far from perfect.

I always add the raisins manually when the dough is ready and knead it softly for a minute by hand.  

I looked at the Kenwood also but decided on the Morries for the following:  It basically looked he same,  it said that it came with instructions and a cookbook in English, I really only intended to use it for the kneeding function and it was 3000 baht cheaper.

I made a small loaf of raisin bread yesterday by adding a little cinnamon and raisins to the basic sweet cake recipe in the book and to check out the dispenser,  It came out good but agree with your statements about using the dispenser with raisins as they were mashed and not whole in the final product.. I'm having a grilled rasin bread sandwich for breakfast this morning.  I take the bread and smear it with cream cheese and grill it, very healthy and dietetic, right!!!

On 19/08/2017 at 4:53 AM, wayned said:

I selected the Morries 19 in 1 bread machine.  It is supplied with a cookbook with 14 recipes in both Thai and English which also includes limited operating instructions.  It also comes with a pamphlet in Thai, no English, which has a slightly more complete set of operating instructions.

Try this: https://assets.kogan.com/files/usermanuals/kaprmbrdmka-a.pdf

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

Different name and model number but that's it.  The documentation supplied with it included the cookbook up to and including the cake recipe and basic instructions in English, but no general operating instructions, such as turning on the light, or any instructions for cleaning and the other functions such as sticky rice and the rice wine...  Thanks!

1 hour ago, wayned said:

Different name and model number but that's it.

Many such devices are made anonymously without logos in Chinese factories and then given a particular identity according to where they are being sold.

You can find an identical-looking model on Amazon UK under a different name (and 30 quid cheaper than here).

7 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

You can find an identical-looking model on Amazon UK under a different name (and 30 quid cheaper than here).

But by the time you pay shipping and the estimated import charges that Amazon add with their global shipping program which are never refundable, the price is usually more. In addition they use DHL which does not have a network in Thailand and internal delivery once it reaches Bangkok is hit and miss here in the sticks where I live.  The last thing that I had shipped by DHL was delivered by the local motor bike noodle vendor 1 month after it arrived in Bangkok.. 

Thanks again.

Most bread-making machines come with a bucket the inside of which has been coated with teflon.  The manufacture of teflon use perfluorooctanoic acid, PFOA, which is a carcinogen.  Although the DuPont, the manufacturer of teflon, claims that no PFOA remains in the finished teflon product, nevertheless vast numbers of people currently have small amounts of PFOA in their bloodstreams. 

The US Environmental Protection Agency has also said, "At high temperatures Teflon is known to give off a cocktail of 15 types of toxic particles and gases, including trifluoroacetic acid (TFA) and phosgene. These chemicals are known to be poisonous to birds. And in humans they case headaches, chills, backache, and fever - a condition known as 'Teflon flu'." 

The determination of what constitutes "high temperatures" has steadily been dropping over the years.  Here's the opinion of a consumer group, the Environmental Working Group:

But the Environmental Working Group (EWG), an independent US non-profit consumer group, disputes this. It says that Teflon begins to deteriorate after the temperature of cookware reaches about 260°C (500°F), and begins to significantly decompose above 350°C (660°F). Cooking fats, oils and butter will begin to scorch and smoke at about 200°C (392°F), and meat is usually fried between 200-230°C (400-450°F), but hot spots in the pan can easily exceed this temperature. 

So, it's up to you.  You could back your bread in a tin pan in the oven as humans have done for thousands of years without apparent harm or you could rely on DuPont's claim that teflon is perfectly safe.

On 16/07/2017 at 8:49 AM, Pilotman said:

The best machine for bread making is the human hand.   Thats the ony way you can make good bread. 

I use a stand mixer for all the mixing and kneading work.

After that I turn it out into a plastic bowl under a tea towel for the first rise, turn them into bread rolls or loaf tins to rise for the second time, and then bake them.

It works for me.

On 16/07/2017 at 3:39 PM, cooked said:

I  now only use my  bread machine for kneading the dough. At the moment I bake it in a gas oven but an electric oven is planned.

I use a table top fan oven that I bought from Makro for about 3,000 thb.

IMG_20170111_104036.jpg

24 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I use a stand mixer for all the mixing and kneading work.

I went to Mackro in NS a few weeks ago and was going to buy a professional stand mixer.  The two that they had were 10000 and 15000 baht. 

Since I'm only baking for one I decided to try a bread machine, 4600 baht, and had intended only to use it for kneeding the dough painlessly.  So far I've actually made two loaves of bread in it and they weren't bad but my next project is making some rolls which will baked in my almost new counter top 60 liter Oxygen oven.The door on my Technogas free standing oven fell off years ago and I wasn't able to find any repair parts in Thailand and the imported parts to refurbish the stove cost as much as a new one..

Hi OP again.thanks for all the interesting posts.
I'm still getting along fine with my Moulinex machine, the only irritation is that the paddles seem to get solidly set in the loaf and by the time I've removed them 1/3 of the loaf has fallen in pieces- so can't slice it ....

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Archived