Bread Making Machine -recommendations

strikingsunset

Hi OP again.thanks for all the interesting posts.
I'm still getting along fine with my Moulinex machine, the only irritation is that the paddles seem to get solidly set in the loaf and by the time I've removed them 1/3 of the loaf has fallen in pieces- so can't slice it ....

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I have had the same problem and I found that if you let your loaf cool then use a small sharp knife to cut around the paddles then use the wire hook that usually comes with bread machines to extract the paddles the resulting holes are much smaller.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, wayned said:

But by the time you pay shipping and the estimated import charges that Amazon add with their global shipping program which are never refundable, the price is usually more.

I wasn't suggesting that it was a good place to buy, just pointing out that they had something very similar for a lower price, which was relevant to the manual for another machine being the same.

I buy lots of things from Amazon UK and bring them back with me in my luggage after my yearly trip there.

8 hours ago, wayned said:

Since I'm only baking for one I decided to try a bread machine, 4600 baht, and had intended only to use it for kneeding the dough painlessly.  So far I've actually made two loaves of bread in it and they weren't bad but my next project is making some rolls which will baked in my almost new counter top 60 liter Oxygen oven.

I make all my own bread. Back in Europe I had a bread machine which I used for this but in my kitchen here that would take up an unnecessary amount of space so I do my bread by hand.

The latest version of my recipe:

15g yeast in a bowl.

Add 280g tepid water. Mix and let the yeast dissolve.

Add 400g bread flour (strong if you can get it).

Sprinkle 6g of salt over the flour.

Mix well with a spoon for a minute until it all comes together.

Cover with a wet cloth and leave for 15 mins.

Then use your hands to bring it all together and work very briefly.

Cover and leave for a further 45 minutes.

Work briefly with your hands.

Cover and leave for an hour or so.

You will note there is hardly any kneading involved though if you like kneading you can do it after the first 15 minute wait. Rising times vary according to temperature etc.

That mixture will weigh about 700g which will make one decent round loaf or 6 decent rolls of around 115g each.

Loaf. Preheat a large Pyrex bowl and lid in the oven at 200deg for 10 mins. Put the raised dough gently into the hot bowl, replace the lid immediately and return to the oven for about 45 mins (variable according to your oven). You can easily see the colour through the glass. When cooked, remove from the bowl and cool on a wire grill. For extra crunch, put the loaf back into the oven without the bowl for 5-10 mins at the end of the cooking time.

Rolls. Divide the dough into 6. Shape and allow to rise for 15-25 mins on a floured board. Put the dough balls onto a flat silicone tray. Spray well with lightly salted water and add a little water to the bottom of the silicone tray. Place the tray immediately into the hot oven and leave it there for about 25mins (variable according to your oven).

The water spray and the closed Pyrex lid both serve to keep up the humidity of the air round the bread while it cooks. This is important as it makes the bread nice and crusty. If you want baps (soft rolls) then dont use the water.

5 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I buy lots of things from Amazon UK and bring them back with me in my luggage after my yearly trip there

I'm American and the last time that I was in the US, or any other country except for a quick border run to either Malaysia or Myanmar, was 27 March 1998.  I have bought many items from Amazon, usually tools, and had them shipped to my freight consolidator in the US to be put in to 40' containers of farm equipment that I occasionally had shipped here.. I think that shipping one off with either Ebay or Amazon global shipping programs is a rip off.  I do use Ebay and can usually convince to supplier to ship direct using either USPS or Royal Mail and at least avoid the "pre-paid customs estimate". On arrival the duties applied by the inspectors at Thai Post have always been significant less than the global program's estimate and in many cases there was no duty applied.  I know, OFF TOPIC! :sorry:

15 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I make all my own bread. Back in Europe I had a bread machine which I used for this but in my kitchen here that would take up an unnecessary amount of space so I do my bread by hand.

The latest version of my recipe:

15g yeast in a bowl.

Add 280g tepid water. Mix and let the yeast dissolve.

Add 400g bread flour (strong if you can get it).

Sprinkle 6g of salt over the flour.

Mix well with a spoon for a minute until it all comes together.

Cover with a wet cloth and leave for 15 mins.

Then use your hands to bring it all together and work very briefly.

Cover and leave for a further 45 minutes.

You will note there is hardly any kneading involved though if you like kneading you can do it after the first 15 minute wait. Rising times vary according to temperature etc.

That mixture will weigh about 700g which will make one decent round loaf or 6 decent rolls of around 115g each.

Loaf. Preheat a large Pyrex bowl and lid in the oven at 200deg for 10 mins. Put the raised dough gently into the hot bowl, replace the lid immediately and return to the oven for about 45 mins (variable according to your oven). You can easily see the colour through the glass. When cooked, remove from the bowl and cool on a wire grill. For extra crunch, put the loaf back into the oven without the bowl for 5-10 mins at the end of the cooking time.

Rolls. Divide the dough into 6. Shape and allow to rise for 15-25 mins on a floured board. Put the dough balls onto a flat silicone tray. Spray well with lightly salted water and add a little water to the bottom of the silicone tray. Place the tray immediately into the hot oven and leave it there for about 25mins (variable according to your oven).

The water spray and the closed Pyrex lid both serve to keep up the humidity of the air round the bread while it cooks. This is important as it makes the bread nice and crusty. If you want baps (soft rolls) then dont use the water.

Really interesting, I will try this, thanks OP 

19 hours ago, Klong Song said:

I have had the same problem and I found that if you let your loaf cool then use a small sharp knife to cut around the paddles then use the wire hook that usually comes with bread machines to extract the paddles the resulting holes are much smaller.

Thanks ,I have learnt to extract the paddles with a small sharp knife. I need to procure a wire hook or similar, the machine was a resale and they had lost the hook that came with the machine. 

19 minutes ago, strikingsunset said:

I need to procure a wire hook or similar,

The hook is easy to make. Get a piece of 2.5MM2 copper wire, about 10cm long and take off all of the insulation.  Bend a small piece, about 5-6mm,  on one end a little over 90 degrees and a bend a small handle on the other end., "instant wire hook", patent pending!

The hook is easy to make. Get a piece of 2.5MM2 copper wire, about 10cm long and take off all of the insulation.  Bend a small piece, about 5-6mm,  on one end a little over 90 degrees and a bend a small handle on the other end., "instant wire hook", patent pending!

A piece of wire coat hanger would work as well.

Archived