Inline Amp/Signal Booster for In House Cable TV.

PattayaDavid

When I originally had my house built, I had it wired with cable TV outlets throughout and a inline amp/signal booster , dby 35 Compacq Slope low noise high gain amplifier installed.  I use BTV Cable and this combination worked very well for a number of years, but over the past couple of years, my signal has deteriorated.  Just this week BTV replaced and adjusted some of the equipment in the area because of numerous complaints.  My picture has improved depending on which room I am watching TV.

I am looking for a place in Pattaya where I can buy a stronger signal booster, any suggestions?

Thanks

Have you checked to make sure your current Signal Booster is actually working (Plugged In, amplifying)?

You may be able to do limited diagnostics if this is DIGITAL SIGNALS and your Cable Box or TV has a menu or remote option for checking signal Strength and Quality. You can replace the amplifier with a straight coaxial barrel connector and see what difference it makes.

The Cable Company should be delivering your residence with adequate signal over background noise levels. But if you have it going to multiple outlets, every time you split the signal you potentially halve the available signal level (and come closer to the background noise level).  The measure of the Amplifier vs Barrel Connector should tell you how well your amp is working.

You could also only have splitters on active lines to improve the S/Noise ratio available overall on desired outlets. 

In my building the cable company supplies all the splitters and amplifiers needed in the common areas, and will also verify and repair things inside the condo units. I would be inclined to ask them about it as they may be able to do it for an all-in or cheap price, or even for free. The odour of possible cancellation may encourage them.

The amplifier that the electrician installed when my house was being built only put out 35db, but that seemed to be enough for a number of years until the past 2 or 3 years.  It is still fairly proficient as long as BTV has their equipment tweaked properly, but when their own amplifier equipment is not putting out a sufficient signal, my amplifier can not be adjusted to compensate as it is already maxed out.  

One of the problems mentioned in an earlier posts has to do with the number of split signals which affects output.  I currently have connections through a splitter to 7 rooms.  Some of the signal output is better than others based on the quality of picture observed, but unfortunately the main TV that I watch has the worst picture of all.  I had thought about putting a splitter at the amplifier and running a single separate cable to this one TV, but I don't know whether that would help or not.

I had called the BTV technicians out a number of times last year and they told me that my amplifier is not strong enough and that they would check on purchasing a replacement for it for around 1500 to 2000 baht.  At that time, I pretty much told them that my amplifier used to be just fine so it much be their equipment signal output that had deteriorated.  

Replacement of the amplifier is not a problem since it is easily accessible, but I opened this thread mainly to find a place in Pattaya where I can purchase the amplifier myself and install it instead of using the BTV technicians.  I'll check out the place up from the bus station later this week; I was also thinking that maybe one of these electrical shops you see around might stock amplifiers, but not sure.  Thanks to all for your assistance.

Archived