Reentering Thailand on land border in Mukdahan with Non O Multiple Entry. Any problems?

I have a Non O Multiple Entry based on being married.

Got the current one 2,5 months ago in Savannakhet.

Next week I will be in the Mukdahan area again and so it could make sense to go into Laos and come back to Mukdahan to activate my next entry.

Have there been any news about problems doing that in Mukdahan?

I could stay in Savannakhet for the day or even for 1 night.

I am asking because I got some "problems" last year walking back into Thailand after just spending some minutes in Poi Pet (also on Non O Multiple Entry) and because of the news / reports coming from people who got problems at various border places (land/air).

You should not have had any problems last time, maybe they were more concerned in case they thought you had just gone to collect something, more than likely the officer was just exercising his authority.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, Amphur2000 said:

You should not have had any problems last time, maybe they were more concerned in case they thought you had just gone to collect something, more than likely the officer was just exercising his authority.

They don't like people using ME visas to live in the country at the Aranyaprathet / Poipet crossing.

• Like 1

No problem OP to walk in and turn straight round there, be on the safe side carry 20k but i doubt they will ask to see it. Better safe than sorry.

Edited by jeab1980
  • Like 1

Rember as well you can if you so wish extend your 90 day stay by 60 days at your immigration office based on visiting wife. I understand it makes sense if near a border to do it then. Just a heads up if you need it.

Arranyaprathet is one best avoided by anyone really, total sh1t-h0le and immigration awful routine.

All mainly caused by decade of abuse at that border processing buses of boiler room workers and general scum via vip service brown envelope deals .

I had wait in a queue once for almost 2hours as Jack golf xisa run had got 2 guys on fake visas through at poipet, they got caught somehow but I was unlucky enough be at poipet day after Immigration been bollocked and they being super fussy with everyone, one black french guy pretty much told f00k-0f as officer didn't like him, was awful watching lol as people left in no mans land in right mess., never seen such chaos or lack of professionalism in my time ...

Edited by BuckBee
  • Like 1

I just came back through Mukdahan Immigration with my new Non O visa based on marriage  two weeks ago and got pulled to the side by immigration asking me to wright my email, address in Thailand and sign my name on a piece of paper and wanting to see  copy of my my wife's ID card which I did not have, I showed him my original marriage certificate and my childs birth certificate which he took photocopies  and then stamped my passport for 90 days and let me enter Thailand.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BuckBee said:

Arranyaprathet is one best avoided by anyone really, total sh1t-h0le and immigration awful routine.

All mainly caused by decade of abuse at that border processing buses of boiler room workers and general scum via vip service brown envelope deals .

I had wait in a queue once for almost 2hours as Jack golf xisa run had got 2 guys on fake visas through at poipet, they got caught somehow but I was unlucky enough be at poipet day after Immigration been bollocked and they being super fussy with everyone, one black french guy pretty much told f00k-0f as officer didn't like him, was awful watching lol as people left in no mans land in right mess., never seen such chaos or lack of professionalism in my time ...

It got crazy after the Arawan Shrine bombers were reported to have allegedly paid their way in, there.

I was pulled aside On Exit and questioned there, but the officer in charge was polite and professional the entire time.  Granted, I was polite and professional, too - willing to answer any and all questions fully and truthfully.  Those who strike a different 'tone' may have a very different experience.  

I had been spending most of my time in Thailand for a year, at that point, and was told not to return there.  I followed this advice, but not the "you should fly in" part (sounded like a set-up).  I had no problems crossing from Koh Kong with a new Tourist Visa from Phnom Penh.

Edited by JackThompson

6 hours ago, yan2016 said:

I just came back through Mukdahan Immigration with my new Non O visa based on marriage  two weeks ago and got pulled to the side by immigration asking me to wright my email, address in Thailand and sign my name on a piece of paper and wanting to see  copy of my my wife's ID card which I did not have, I showed him my original marriage certificate and my childs birth certificate which he took photocopies  and then stamped my passport for 90 days and let me enter Thailand.

Wow. That's strange.

I assume you just picked up your new visa shortly before you came from Savannakhet to Mukdahan.

So asking for papers that you needed to get the visa in the first place sounds like a very strange requirement from immigration.

Maybe I should better fly then. Let's see

I Will be applying for my Multi Non-Imm " O " Based on Marriage Next Month ( August ) at Savanakhet,Then next day crossing back into to Mukdahan,But My THAI Wife will be with me,So I Can't see ANY Problems.....Never had any last time,So fingers Crossed !!

54 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

I Will be applying for my Multi Non-Imm " O " Based on Marriage Next Month ( August ) at Savanakhet,Then next day crossing back into to Mukdahan,But My THAI Wife will be with me,So I Can't see ANY Problems.....Never had any last time,So fingers Crossed !!

Just keep extra copies of the paperwork (marriage proof, etc) you used to get the Visa in Savanakhet with you for your return.  You would also have your original marraige-cert with, needed to show-but-keep at the Consulate.

Note the the particulars of the experience of the one person who was questioned on re-entry:

On 7/5/2017 at 8:39 PM, yan2016 said:

Luckily I had my original marriage and son’s birth certificate on me, I showed him both and he said perfect with a big smile on his face. He looked at the marriage certificate wanting to see my wife’s name.

That is the description of a "good cop" - doing their duty, but happy to see a demonstration of innocence, and happy he doesn't have to muck-up a potentially innocent-person's day.

Note the the particulars of the experience of the one person who was questioned on re-entry:

On 5.7.2017 at 8:39 PM, yan2016 said:

Luckily I had my original marriage and son’s birth certificate on me, I showed him both and he said perfect with a big smile on his face. He looked at the marriage certificate wanting to see my wife’s name.

That is the description of a "good cop" - doing their duty, but happy to see a demonstration of innocence, and happy he doesn't have to muck-up a potentially innocent-person's day.

Hmmm? Good cop doing their duty?

I understand that immigration and a consulate are two different institutions.

But still strange to ask for the documents at immigration (copy of wife's ID card) without which the poster could not get the brand new visa in the first place.

But even more important:

Let's say someone has a Non O multiple entry based on being married.

Some months later he gets divorced. As far as I heard the visa is still valid until the Enter Before date.

So why would you have an original marriage certificate or a copy of your ex wife's ID card then?

Anybody knows more about that?

Because this is something that can happen to many of us (I guess)

30 minutes ago, vi2004 said:

Hmmm? Good cop doing their duty?

I understand that immigration and a consulate are two different institutions.

But still strange to ask for the documents at immigration (copy of wife's ID card) without which the poster could not get the brand new visa in the first place.

But even more important:

Let's say someone has a Non O multiple entry based on being married.

Some months later he gets divorced. As far as I heard the visa is still valid until the Enter Before date.

So why would you have an original marriage certificate or a copy of your ex wife's ID card then?

Anybody knows more about that?

Because this is something that can happen to many of us (I guess)

As to why on a new visa - could be verifying the Visa was valid and/or not a payoff-arrangement - maybe spot-checking - maybe due to the passport-holders' country of origin or region of the world. 

The Visa may still be valid after a divorce, but I wouldn't be surprised if Immigration stopped honoring it, if they knew you were divorced.

Lots of expats in Mukdahan, Kalasin, Amnat Chareon, Roi Et and Yasathon on Non Imm O ME Visas doing regular trips every 90 days to the Friendship bridge in Mukdahan without any problems. Good idea to have 20,000 baht in cash though.

On 7/19/2017 at 0:08 AM, Tanoshi said:

Lots of expats in Mukdahan, Kalasin, Amnat Chareon, Roi Et and Yasathon on Non Imm O ME Visas doing regular trips every 90 days to the Friendship bridge in Mukdahan without any problems. Good idea to have 20,000 baht in cash though.

Yep. Still, I think if you have to cross every 90 days why not make a trip out of it? Cross to Laos, stay a night or two, then return (perhaps even through a different border crossing if that suits). Most reports of problems (though they are rare) are from same day returns. Anyone who spends at least a night in the neighboring country (or another country) is unlikely to be hassled.

I guess it's pot luck, I have made the trip in and out of Thailand to activate my next 90 day stay at Mukdahan many times (most recently in May this year)  with a marriage based M/E Non O visa and never been asked any questions or shown any cash. Every time I have cleared passport control into Laos I have immediately turned around to come back to Thailand! To be on the safe side I will carry the cash next time.

25 minutes ago, jimster said:

Yep. Still, I think if you have to cross every 90 days why not make a trip out of it? Cross to Laos, stay a night or two, then return (perhaps even through a different border crossing if that suits). Most reports of problems (though they are rare) are from same day returns. Anyone who spends at least a night in the neighboring country (or another country) is unlikely to be hassled.

The only border-crossing which may be problematic for Non-O MEs is Poipet, and maybe Ranong (mixed reports).    Just have the 20K Baht to show - and likely on need that coming back from Malaysia or maybe at an airport.  Also carry proof of marriage (if based on that), and any questions should be easily handled.

• Like 1