Some tourist visa holders being asked to show 20,000 baht in CASH when entering Thailand

webfact

23 minutes ago, impulse said:

Who hops on an international flight with less than 20,000 baht in hard currency hidden away in case their ATM card gets eaten, their wallet gets stolen, or any one of a hundred other scenarios where USD, GBP, or Euro's are the only solution?

Many people I would think. having large amounts of cash on oneself is not something many people feel comfortable with. I have a few thousand left over baht and the odd 50 euro on me when I head for Thailand. I have several debit cards and a credit card, my partner also has two debit cards. this is the 21st century, people don't travel with more cash than absolutely necessary.

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, midas said:

I see nothing onerous about this whatsoever.  I mean just based on living a very modest lifestyle without any extravagance- I still can't see how any genuine tourist can make 20,000 baht last for more than a couple of weeks?:blink:

At one of the Thai-Burma land crossings, there's been a photocopied sign mentioning that Bt.20k requirement for 10 years.  As with more rules in Thailand, it was only enforced for the first few days after it was enacted.  Similarly, Bangkok sage politicians once declared a new law which said every truck carrying fresh produce (veges, fruits) into Bangkok - must be checked to see the produce is not too chemi-laden.  Guess how many trucks were checked?   ONE.  That's right.   After the first truck, the boys in brown permanently gave up.

59 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

This law has always been on the books but has rarely been used.   This is all part of The Big Pumpkins drive to chase us all away as the Bogeymen of Thailand.   Xenophobic attitude of this man is all consuming as he is terrified of Foreigners.

I agree.  Another issue:  Now, all thieves know that every farang leaving the airport has at least Bt.20k jangling in his/her wallet.  If there was a newspaper for pick-pockets, that would be headline news.  

It's a stupid law for too many reasons to list here.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

The difference is that losing any of those does not mean that one will be penniless and can carry on on holiday. If one ONLY has a CC and it is no longer available, one is screwed.

Absolutely agree.  That's why I keep a bit of cash completely separate from my wallet, inside the lining of my carry-on.  

I was responding to a post asking what could possibly go wrong carrying around 20,000 baht cash.  I contend that it's no more risky than carrying $600 worth of goodies.

Just now, sandrew33 said:

I'm not loaded but I'm worth a reasonable amount and have a high income. I rarely carry cash. I have multiple cards with multiple banks and generally when I travel I got local currency on arrival. 

Typically might have $200-$400 cash on me which wouldn't be enough to get through on this test. 

In Australia these days - my other home - no one really needs to carry cash. Everything is PayWave or Apple/Android Pay enabled, even buying beers at the pub is done with PayPass PayWave via the portable Eftpos machines. 

Proof of money I get, but actual physical cash seems odd. Perhaps they should just install an ATM at immigration if they think having physical cash is so important? 

Your world only exists till the hackers manage to steal all your money or the power goes off. Even the NHS was hacked recently.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The difference is that losing any of those does not mean that one will be penniless and can carry on on holiday. If one ONLY has a CC and it is no longer available, one is screwed.

Yes & No. I'd never suggest taking only one card, but if it's a Visa or Mastercard and you are with a major bank then getting emergency cash is easy enough in a foreign land. 

But if you take 2+ cards attached to different accounts, that's clearly the wiser choice. 

Taking all ones trip proceeds in cash is "brave" :) 

Your world only exists till the hackers manage to steal all your money or the power goes off. Even the NHS was hacked recently.

Most western banks I have dealt with put the money back in your account and give you time to file the proper paperwork for fraud.... if of course you don't file the paperwork.... they will revert.

2 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Many people I would think. having large amounts of cash on oneself is not something many people feel comfortable with. I have a few thousand left over baht and the odd 50 euro on me when I head for Thailand. I have several debit cards and a credit card, my partner also has two debit cards. this is the 21st century, people don't travel with more cash than absolutely necessary.

I've been conditioned by travel for work where we were required to carry cash and a first class airline ticket out of the country in case of an emergency.  Saw way too many of our guys that actually needed to use the cash, and a credit card wasn't going to get them out of their predicament.

30 minutes ago, Metapod said:

Who walks around with 20k cash on them anyway? Haven't they heard of an ATM card? It is a rubbish law.

I remember stories on here about farangs being robbed of 10k and thaivisa members writing things like bloody idiots, deserved to be robbed if they have that much on them.  Now its a requirement to enter with 20k.  If you leave it in your room and it disappears, you idiot.  If you walk around with and get rolled you idiot.

Just now, sandrew33 said:

Yes & No. I'd never suggest taking only one card, but if it's a Visa or Mastercard and you are with a major bank then getting emergency cash is easy enough in a foreign land. 

But if you take 2+ cards attached to different accounts, that's clearly the wiser choice. 

Taking all ones trip proceeds in cash is "brave" :) 

I don't take ALL my trip needs in cash and never did. I used to use traveler's cheques when they were an option, and now I'd take a debit card as WELL as cash.

2 minutes ago, dominique355 said:

Ever heard of credit cards?

Who pays hotels or airplane tickets in cash? This is the 21st century, for heaven's sake.

Hmmmm. You must like paying the extra "fee" when you use a card.

C Cs were invented by banks to rip people off. Succeeded with me when I was young and foolish- never again.

Hmmmm. You must like paying the extra "fee" when you use a card.

C Cs were invented by banks to rip people off. Succeeded with me when I was young and foolish- never again.

Extra fee ? for airline tickets it is the other way around. the likes of nok and air asia will allow cash payment at 7-11 but at an additional fee. 

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Its daft really. So now everyone will be carrying 20,000 and of course it proves nothing. When will the thefts start from taxi drivers and others?

LOL. I've carried more than that most of the time when coming to LOS and never been subject to theft. I'm more nervous carrying money back home than ever in LOS.

Pickpockets are not a big problem in LOS except for people too foolish to secure their money properly, and usually by katoeys ( which I ( have seen in action ).

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Its daft really. So now everyone will be carrying 20,000 and of course it proves nothing. When will the thefts start from taxi drivers and others?

Unscrupulous taxi drivers already cheat you by claiming they have no change.  If you come in with 20  thousand-baht bills, you may lose a whole one your first trip from the airport.  Maybe immigrations should mandate having some change--might be a more practical mandate.

Just now, AsianAtHeart said:

Unscrupulous taxi drivers already cheat you by claiming they have no change.  If you come in with 20  thousand-baht bills, you may lose a whole one your first trip from the airport.  Maybe immigrations should mandate having some change--might be a more practical mandate.

????????

Who only carries large denomination notes when taking a taxi? Most travelers have known since Moses was a boy to have small money for such as taxis. There are plenty of forex booths to change a couple of 1000 baht notes for taxi fare at airports or such.

1 hour ago, midas said:

I see nothing onerous about this whatsoever.

I mean just based on living a very modest lifestyle without any extravagance- I still can't see how any genuine tourist can make 20,000 baht last for more than a couple of weeks?:blink:

Why must it be cash? Why is bank statements not enough like in other countries?

1 hour ago, midas said:

I see nothing onerous about this whatsoever.

I mean just based on living a very modest lifestyle without any extravagance- I still can't see how any genuine tourist can make 20,000 baht last for more than a couple of weeks?:blink:

The point is that you have to have it as cash on your person. No mention even of equivalent in foreign currency or travelers cheques. As already stated, one could also log onto internet banking to a Thai account and show money on deposit. (Although that might discredit the claim of only being  tourist).

Tourists generally would not have much local currency on them.

1 hour ago, action said:

Having 20k cash in your pocket is clear, irrefutable evidence that you are not working illegally.  Nice job Immigration!  

Although I see nothing wrong with being asked to show money when entering a country, I do disagree with the comment quoted above, which, to me, is a rediculous comment. How does showing 20,00 baht prove your not working in the country? In fact, how can any amount of money prove your not working here in Thailand? If your a genuine tourist, you either travel with credit cards or with cash so part of the 20,000 baht being accessible through a credit card transaction should also be included in the requirement.

25 minutes ago, DLang said:

Not talking about those on a marriage extension.

Those that get the Multiple-Entry non-O at Savannakhet without needing to show any funds.

Then come and go every 90 days on a border run.

Because they don't have the 400k or outside income of 40k per month to get the extension??

Suspect.

How many are using them to stay here whilst working illegally?  

I give up - how many?

How would having to show 20 Grand at the border prevent the holders of any visa class issued anywhere, from working illegally? 

3 minutes ago, Falcon said:

Although I see nothing wrong with being asked to show money when entering a country, I do disagree with the comment quoted above, which, to me, is a rediculous comment. How does showing 20,00 baht prove your not working in the country? In fact, how can any amount of money prove your not working here in Thailand? If your a genuine tourist, you either travel with credit cards or with cash so part of the 20,000 baht being accessible through a credit card transaction should also be included in the requirement.

Their country their rules (or games). They can make each and every tourist to produce 20 push-ups as a condition for being allowed to the country. All these rules have nothing to do with the common sense.  Accept it and adapt. 

1 minute ago, Zikomat said:

Their country their rules. They can make each and every tourist to produce 20 push-ups as a condition for being allowed to the country. All these rules have nothing to do with the common sense.  Accept it and adapt. 

No answer, in other words.

Has anyone at TVN actually thought about going to Changwattana and asking the head honcho there  <deleted> is actually going on, instead of asking some anonymous dumbo office clerk in a uniform in an provincial immigration office?????????

mmmmm???

Archived