Some tourist visa holders being asked to show 20,000 baht in CASH when entering Thailand

webfact

10 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Seriously people. You either know what the real situation is and don't want to admit it (for what ever reason) or you are just trying to dump on the authorities for actually doing their job.

Having multiple back-to-back 30 Day stamps and/or Tourist Visas in a passport is a giant red flag that someone probably is not a "genuine tourist". Those are the people that seem to be getting "singled out" by Immigration. A Jane Doe or Beijing Betty showing up with a single, shiny new tourist visa in their passport is somewhat different than Darwin Dave, Alabama Andy and Leeds Larry showing up with passports crammed full of back-to-back 30 day stamps and Tourist Visas. 

It's not rocket science people ! Thailand is trying to weed out the people that keep trying to skirt the rules and live here with little or no money and those that are working "under that table". That was the reason behind the change to the rules regarding the 30 day stamps at the borders. That was the reason behind the change in the rules regarding having to have your money "in the bank" for 3 months prior to applying for an Extension. No doubt also the reason for the crackdown on marriage Visas (like having to prove you actually are married and living with your wife).

They are cracking down on the people that are abusing the system and don't meet the requirements to be here.

Thailand has every right to do that and the people that complain tend to forget that they have no  right to break the rules, regardless of their origin (or attitude). I'm sure there are some who think that they have the god-given "right" to stay in Thailand as long as they want and do whatever they please, whether or not if they have any money at all.

However, Thailand obviously doesn't want to turn into a haven for penniless drifters that spend their time cluttering up the sidewalks and malls and beaches begging for money so they can go drink more. 

Showing a bank statement is as useless as the little books some girls have showing they are "disease free". It's only valid at the moment the statement (or book) was made, and 30 seconds (or 1 john) later it's already out of date.

Like the guy ahead of me at Immigration when I went to do my last Extension. He had a bank book. Yep, showed that 3 months ago he'd deposited the required money into an account. Only problem is, he hadn't updated the book since then to show that the money was still there, probably hoping the IO wouldn't notice (but she did and sent him off to "update" his book).
Logging into your bank account on your phone and showing a balance would be great - for the tiny percentage of people that could do that, and not take 15 minutes trying to remember their log-in and password and "oops - oh darn, my battery just died at the most inconvenient time, shucks, you'll just have to trust me that it was all "jing jing".

Having foreign currency to meet the 20,000 baht requirement would be a joke as well. How long do you think it would be before people were showing up with wads of Zimbabwe hundred million dollar bills that are worth pennies (at most) or old Iraqi currency (with Saddam's face on it - you could buy 6 inch thick stacks of bills for a couple dollars at the bazaars). Koreans love playing that trick on girls already, handing them 1,000 Won bills that are worth barely 30 baht.

The IOs are not bankers and are not going to sit there surfing and calculating exchange rates for every person that shows up at their counter with a fistful of Paraguayan Guara's (20,000 Guaras = about 121 baht).

Not to mention the length of the Immigration lines and the wait times if every IO had to go through all that BS with every person that showed up with a Tourist (or other) Visa.
"Hi honey ! My plane just landed and I'm at Immigration now. The lines aren't that long it seems so if you show up here 2 days from now I may be through and ready to go !"

Obviously the ideal solution would be to have a bank of ATM machines at the back of the Immigration area so that if needed, people could just zip back and grab the needed cash and then zip back to the IO that is holding their passport. Unless of course, "those" people don't actually have the money...........might be a bit "awkward" then.

I've no idea why they don't unless it has something to do with "that side" of the airport being "international" and you are not really (legally) in Thailand until you've passed through Immigration ? I'm trying to recall other airports I've gone through (like Vancouver, Dubai, Bahrain) and if I recall, it's the same thing - no ATM machines until after you've gone through Immigration. No problem in the Transit/Departure areas though. Strange as "that side" is also on the "other" side of Immigration (after you've been stamped out of the country).  Curious.

How many percent of illegal workers do you think cannot save and hold 20k? Once known i bet 99.9% of all illegal workers will be able to produce 20k. Like starting this week forward.. Now the news is out.

Its the stupidity of that rule that is being attacked i think.

If they really want to stop illegal workers they gotta catch them in the act of working illegally and give heavy penalties (prison etc). This would deter...

Everything they try to do at the border will either have no effect or it will hit real tourists equally.

The visa run companies and word of mouth will quickly learn the new rules and adapt.. Quickly the only real victims becomes the real tourists as the illegals quickly adapt to the new rules.

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

the real reason is suspicion of working. Your references to Thai salaries are totally not connected to this BTW.

Oh yes.... If I m working illegally, I think I will have more chance to be able to show 20k than if i m working legally...don't you think ?! So this doesn't make any sens... 

1 hour ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Well said.  Why should work be illegal?  It's the opposite (laziness) that makes society go downhill.

Yeah, i understand concern that foreigners comes and competes with locals.. But besides that there should be mostly benefit.. Specially in a country like thailand that can benefit tremendously from foreign help.

It's quite funny actually - I almost took too much cash into the Philippines for a four week holiday. The limit is 50,000 peso about 750 GBP. This is to stop drug trafficking, align the country with globally acceptable financial regulatory controls and improve anti money laundering mechanisms. I trust there is an upper cap on what can be brought in over multiple trips?

https://www.philippine-embassy.org.sg/the-philippines-2/bringing-currency-into-the-philippines/

6 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

What'swrong with being asked to show 20,000 Baht if you.know in advance, if you didn't then go to an ATM.   Keep it simple Jack?

The thing that is wrong is this:

illegal workers will adapt and always have 20k.

Real tourists will be more likely to be ignorant and not know about this.

In other words, this rule will have the opposite effect of what is intended.

1 minute ago, hobz said:

Yeah, i understand concern that foreigners comes and competes with locals.. But besides that there should be mostly benefit.. Specially in a country like thailand that can benefit tremendously from foreign help.

The lack of competition makes for shoddy work.  The building in which I type this right now has cracks in the walls large enough to see through--of the kind that would cause the entire building to be condemned back in my own country.  But it's the norm here.  The groundwork was laid too hastily, and after the walls were put up, it settled--with cracks opening in the walls as if an earthquake had struck.  Mai bpen rai?  

If foreigners were actually permitted to do some of those 39 proscribed jobs reserved only for locals, perhaps the locals would learn from them how to do the job better.  Learning from others is always a good thing.  Competition usually has good results for all involved.

3 hours ago, midas said:

I see nothing onerous about this whatsoever.

I mean just based on living a very modest lifestyle without any extravagance- I still can't see how any genuine tourist can make 20,000 baht last for more than a couple of weeks?:blink:

That is correct, but would one not normally depend on Plastic? 

I barely ever travel with 20K, combined with some dollars and Euros maybe. 

3 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Every time me and my missus fly back to England, they never ask her to show them cash. That's because that's ridiculous, ...

No, it's because the UK isn't rammed with dodgy digital pikeys freeloading their way on an otherwise mediocre existence living the dream.

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes, the mental disconnect on those two things -- having cash in the pocket as being proof you're not working locally --  is startling.  But then, making correct mental connections is rarely a big attribute of those in authority here.

I am surprised that after all this time you can't see that it is simply the easiest bit of the tourist visa eligibility statute to enforce when confronted with a suspected illegal worker. They are simply exercising a relatively easy assessment criteria as a means to an end. They don't beat about the bush either as those who have been unable to show cash and shown the door have their passports clearly stamped with the reason they were turned away... and the stamp doesn't say, "Didn't have enough cash" either.

20 minutes ago, Vermor said:

Really ? 
So it s ok that the locals "live here with little or no money" but foreigner coming on Holiday should show 20 000thb ?! I don't get it...
How thai people can "look after themselves" with a (offical) minimum salary of 9000thb/ month, while a Tourist should have more than 20 000thb no matter the lenght of his stay ?! This reason is a fake reason. The reality is probably that those who give a tip to the MCT ( Money Collection Team) won't have any problem to enter the country... 

Nononono the police get like 8000/month and they are some of the least corrupt in the world and it works really well.

Seriously thou.. You're on to something... Wouldnt suprise me if this is the root of all corruption etc.

2 hours ago, DLang said:

Next going after those living here (working?) on Multi-Entry Non-Imm visas granted without showing any funds, just because they married their tilak? 

You show funds when applying for Non O visa.

12 minutes ago, Vermor said:

Oh yes.... If I m working illegally, I think I will have more chance to be able to show 20k than if i m working legally...don't you think ?! So this doesn't make any sens... 

In the future yes, because now you know.

But they have rejected a few suspected of working illegally, and that was their aim. They'll soon find other ways again.

3 minutes ago, pkrv said:

It's quite funny actually - I almost took too much cash into the Philippines for a four week holiday. The limit is 50,000 peso about 750 GBP. This is to stop drug trafficking, align the country with globally acceptable financial regulatory controls and improve anti money laundering mechanisms. I trust there is an upper cap on what can be brought in over multiple trips?

https://www.philippine-embassy.org.sg/the-philippines-2/bringing-currency-into-the-philippines/

That is only in Peso.

You can take up to USD 10,000 in forex in and out. Above that you have to fill in some paperwork.

I have never understood why countries have an issue with taking out the sovereign currency.

After being caught out by the Indians rendering INR 1,500 worthless, which I had in cash for the next visit to pay the taxi, I am reluctant to keep any 3rd world currency after the visit......

Sorry, but I haven't read the previous 150 posts, but does it have to be B20,000 in Thai currency, or can it be the equivalent of B20,000 in Thai currency, like B10.000 in THB and say US$450 in cash?

What annoys me, is not having the correct information given  by consulates etc. When applying for a Visa, one should be told exactly what is needed .This should be printed out with all the other requirements. Then, I suppose, there would not be all this trouble . I don't mind what they ask of me, as long as I know what it is. 

4 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

The lack of competition makes for shoddy work.  The building in which I type this right now has cracks in the walls large enough to see through--of the kind that would cause the entire building to be condemned back in my own country.  But it's the norm here.  The groundwork was laid too hastily, and after the walls were put up, it settled--with cracks opening in the walls as if an earthquake had struck.  Mai bpen rai?  

If foreigners were actually permitted to do some of those 39 proscribed jobs reserved only for locals, perhaps the locals would learn from them how to do the job better.  Learning from others is always a good thing.  Competition usually has good results for all involved.

You make the mistake that thais are interested in learning. Lol. 

No but seriously you are right. They would learn alot.  And thais can be really fast learners because they dont dwell on analysis etc for too long. X see x do.

The Thai Governments position has always been that foreigners can stay in Thailand as long as they have a visa appropriate to their stay. Nothing wrong with that. Most other countries expect the same.

The problem is that too many people stay here, some times for years, using tourist visa or visa exempt entries. Whether working or not they are clearly not tourists and do not have a visa appropriate to their stay.  The Thai Government has clearly had enough.

The answer is simple - get a visa appropriate to your stay in Thailand.

4 minutes ago, StefanBBK said:

That is correct, but would one not normally depend on Plastic? 

I barely ever travel with 20K, combined with some dollars and Euros maybe. 

Best practice is to have multiple cards and ability to transfer between them. And then use atm to withdraw from within thailand. Not before.

In other words, yes, you are right.

I think a major problem we're experiencing here is lack of a clear definition of Tourist vis a vis someone living here. There is, it appears, too much left to interpretation versus a plain yes or no. If I fly into Oz for instance it doesn't matter if I fly to Adelaide or Perth, I will be treated the same with the same result, here not always the case. If anyone can give the Thai legal definition of Tourist, I'm all ears.

As an aside I went out onto my balcony for a smoke only to come back to 36 emails... Obviously this is a hot topic. So to repeat someone please tell me what the Thai definition of Tourist is.

3 hours ago, CRUNCHER said:

As I understand it there is no ATM air-side of immigration.  If you pass immigration to get to an ATM you have in fact entered the Kingdom and the only way to remove you is deportation - at least it is not as simple as being refused entry.

Another problem in respect of producing a bank book is that it is only accurate as at the date is was last updated. Even showing a credit card only shows you have a credit card; it does not show whether you are over limit etc.

Demanding to see cash is the simple way out for immigration. Having said that I am sure there is room for some leeway in handling this situation.

There are many ATM air side and at Duty Free shopping Bangkok.

2 minutes ago, PeCeDe said:

I think a major problem we're experiencing here is lack of a clear definition of Tourist vis a vis someone living here. There is, it appears, too much left to interpretation versus a plain yes or no. If I fly into Oz for instance it doesn't matter if I fly to Adelaide or Perth, I will be treated the same with the same result, here not always the case. If anyone can give the Thai legal definition of Tourist, I'm all ears.

As an aside I went out onto my balcony for a smoke only to come back to 36 emails... Obviously this is a hot topic. So to repeat someone please tell me what the Thai definition of Tourist is.

Someone who is here burning money and not working and leaving the country when the money runs out.

Thats where the phrase farang kinok comes from i bet. Tourists that stays too long are not welcome. They are shits that was dropped of from an airplane. 

I wonder what nicknames they have for chinese tourists...

1 minute ago, CRUNCHER said:

The Thai Governments position has always been that foreigners can stay in Thailand as long as they have a visa appropriate to their stay. Nothing wrong with that. Most other countries expect the same.

The problem is that too many people stay here, some times for years, using tourist visa or visa exempt entries. Whether working or not they are clearly not tourists and do not have a visa appropriate to their stay.  The Thai Government has clearly had enough.

The answer is simple - get a visa appropriate to your stay in Thailand.

This might seem easy to say, and perhaps you are just simplistic enough to believe in such a vain pipe dream as you describe.  The facts are often different.  Just as no two humans are alike, no two circumstances are identical either.  There are not enough visa categories to encompass all of the possibilities.  Consider, for a moment, the foreigner living and working in Laos.  He/she has a valid one year work permit/visa to stay in Laos and would like to cross the border regularly to access some much-need supplies that are unavailable or high-priced in Laos.  What visa type should he or she apply for?  Non-immigrant?  Business?  …..tourist visa perhaps?  But it's not really a genuine tourist situation, is it?  So, the system has to be played--and tourist visa it is.  This means heaps of tourist visas in the passport--just the kind that you might assume to be a "red flag."  Of course, if Thailand doesn't want shoppers or their money . . . .

2 hours ago, Cadbury said:
2 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

As I understand, that is incorrect.  The amount of cash required is simply less for visa-exempt entry.

If you know that for a fact how about you share with us that precise amount of baht required for the visa-exempt entry. Then we will all know.

As I expected you have not/cannot answer the question regarding the required amount cash for visa-exempt entry. The reason being is that you don't know what you are talking about and haven't a clue what the amount is; if in fact there is any amount at all. 

1 minute ago, Cadbury said:

As I expected you have not/cannot answer the question regarding the required amount cash for visa-exempt entry. The reason being is that you don't know what you are talking about and haven't a clue what the amount is; if in fact there is any amount at all. 

I didn't answer because someone else answered it just a few posts later.  I mistakenly assumed you would read it.  I will again assume you have the ability to go back and do so now.

46 minutes ago, DLang said:

Which is based on a crack-down of those using incorrect visas to work here.

The other visas used to do so are:

Multi-Entry Non-Immigrant O Visas given out like candy without having to show the required proof of funds to get it.

And less so the Ed Visa. That was big until the crack down on it 2 years or so ago. 

I'm not. But you're acting nervously as we discus criminal behavior here. Good luck to you if you're living life as a criminal here - illegally working. 

A Non O multiple entry issued in U.K

you must show proof of income.

11 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

Sorry, but I haven't read the previous 150 posts, but does it have to be B20,000 in Thai currency, or can it be the equivalent of B20,000 in Thai currency, like B10.000 in THB and say US$450 in cash?

You should have 20.000 Baht or equivalent in another currencies Since you cannot buy thai currency abroad 

Archived