Man rescued after being trapped for three days in Samui jungle is British TV star

webfact

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

90,000 quid for a knee reconstruction??.....Talk about making a meal out of situation...he's better going to Oz or NZ

Yes once again Samui

Iived their prior  " story samui international hospital all of them " cobra bit my toe stood on its neck  / head at night long grass water area " fangs only just 

penetrated my big toe right foot i did not feel anything like a mossie bite very little poison was injected head could not sink to much my theory luck bungalow woke up morninig took shower visible puncture wounds 

watched tv a little up and down did not go out my thai neighbours 

concerned did not seen me 2 or 3 days knocked on door " r i ok yeah little up & down showed them talked me into go hospital reluctantly off we went after 3 days had some tests etc, positve snake bite " t

it was on ! we want to keep you in hospital ? why im fine if i was going to die " dead already ? do u have medical cover oh yeah limited a credit cards alarm bells rang maybe u stay 2 or 3 days more test etc  ? Its 3 days later im a live " will cost u approx 100,000 baht a day " Answer obvious my thai friends told thai doctors really its 3 days later he not dead , hospital spoke perfect english " was just atm to milk " 4 years ago "100% he would have have op Aussie have  medicare to cover part of operation privately , if accident u go emegency by

ambulance to a public hospital free "I doubt here he would pay no more than $10,000 aussie dollars as a non residency ? If he's filiming im sure must have teavel insurance or holiday cover insurance

surely " i had amex a few years back bought a ticket automatic travel insurance cover " in bangkok involved in an accident 5 years back was sent to bumagrad hospital "all covered rang hotline amex sent info to hospital then rang clear , small op few days later flew back home business class cost nothing refunded what ever i spent " if in Aussie 100% would not cost no where near €90,000 .  Samui is rip off place for every thing its an island . U pay more " u r farang " easy touch up . Get embassy involved they will change quickly. 

8 hours ago, Upnotover said:

And why pray is the Embassy even interested?

Maybe they are just old east enders fans!!  Talking of the BBC   Chris Evans is the best paid "star" there £2,200,000 - £2,249,999..  Poor old  Steve Wright only gets £500,000 - £549,999

1 hour ago, Moti24 said:

The insurance is void because he hired a motorcycle to get to the waterfall.  If he had not hired the motorcycle, he wouldn't have been there.

Got to read the small print!

Probably true. Before we retired to Thailand, and were on holiday here, my wife and I were caught in the Tsunami, on Koh Phi Phi. As you may imagine we lost a lot of stuff, and claimed on our travel insurance.

When we got back to Blighty, we were surprised to have a visit from a claims adjuster, demanding to inspect our window locks. "Why?" We asked

"Because you have claimed against your travel insurance, and they are splitting the claim with your household insurers".

"But our claim has nothing to do with the household insurance, we were on holiday and covered by travel insurance!"

"No", he said, "some of the items you lost were covered by your household insurance all-risks, so the claim can legitimately be split."

"Oh! ...... ". "But what do our window locks have to do with it, it's not a burglary and it didn't happen here."and 

"Yes, but the terms of your insurance specify the minimum standard of locks on your windows, and if they do not comply, your policy is void and they don't have to pay!" 

Fortunately, our locks were up to standard.

My point is:- If he hired a motorbike, almost certainly a specific exclusion from his coverage, and rode it, his entire policy is void and they don't have to pay - even though the motorbike was not in any way a cause of his accident  ( if you discount the thinking that if he hadn't used it he wouldn't be there and so wouldn't have had the accident). Now that they know he rode a motorbike, they don't have to pay for the lost camera, the phone he lost in a bar, the third party liability because he moved a rock in the waterfall when he fell, etc., etc.,

Yes, you can argue the point in court and might even win. Basically, insurance companies will move heaven to take your money, and move heaven and earth to avoid paying out.

Sorry for the long-winded rant.

5 hours ago, ChangMaiSausage said:

570,000 per night something wrong with the reporting here.

90,000 over 4,000gbp for knee / leg repairs again this seems a little on the high side.

The British embassy is involved, wow a first they want him to fly to the main land.  I would have thought his insurance would take care of all this?  Or is it void, did he have insurance?

Just like an episode of East Enders all doom and gloom dadadadadaddddddaaaaaaa.

“He needs surgery. But it’s going to cost £90,000 for him to have it in Thailand.” - not Baht but the mighty GBP  so way more than 4000 

2 hours ago, SunsetT said:

Please confirm which hospital chain this is for the benefit of those of us not as well informed as you might be. I prefer facts to guessing, with or without prizes.

Not with Thailand's defamation laws...

2 hours ago, AdamTheFarang said:

“He needs surgery. But it’s going to cost £90,000 for him to have it in Thailand.” - not Baht but the mighty GBP  so way more than 4000 

Yes, the money reporting is all wrong. The expensive hospital on Samui, more so that Thai Inter,

would charge $11,000 for a completely shattered jaw rebuild, including peeling the face back,

adding a custom metal brace and wire through bones.

FAR more complex and difficult than a compound fracture broken leg.

Intensive care runs around 28,000 a night and regular rooms around 6-12,000 baht depending on extras.

90,000 baht is about £2,057, but if you were robbed of cards etc recently, that becomes more difficult to front up.

There are some top notch orthopedic surgeons here, but it was a long time from break to setting

and he would likely need infection care first, and getting his strength back first.

The reporting above is clearly off the mark and confused, as so often happens here.

There is no there, there. Wishing Paul a complete recovery.

12 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Even a bottom-rung has-been 'celebrity' alcoholic gets energetic attention from the British Embassy while an unknown expat with dire problems would be left ignored, and expected to cope on his own, or just float quietly away to oblivion in a sea of indifference. 

That is an offensive comment. One of my friends is a British Hon Consul in Thailand and has provided assistance to hundreds of Brits many of whom were in trouble as a result of their own stupidity. 

Consular officials are available 24/7/365 but they cannot extricate anyone from police custody as some believe they can. 

No prizes for guessing which hospital is responsible for the extortion on Samui, there's a chain of them all over Thailand & allegedly all the ambulances (they're private), are bribed to bring any farangs straight to them rather than to the gov. hospitals, where they then charge sky high prices and (allegedly)hold on to your passport until their bill is paid...
 Disgusting :bah:

Maybe they'll get around to it after they finished hanging Nate out to dry - need to get priorities sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 07/19/2017 at 11:48 AM, worgeordie said:

"with a local hospital demanding 13,000 GBP, approximately 570,000 THB per night", 

They must have heard he was a Soap star and thinking he must be stinking rich,

charged accordingly..

regards worgeordie

Could not agree more. Bangkok Hospital, Vejthani or similar quality hospitals cost a fraction even being in ER or ICU unit. A full week there would be probably 570k THB.

Amazing!

23 hours ago, perthperson said:

That is an offensive comment. One of my friends is a British Hon Consul in Thailand and has provided assistance to hundreds of Brits many of whom were in trouble as a result of their own stupidity. 

Consular officials are available 24/7/365 but they cannot extricate anyone from police custody as some believe they can. 

Whilst I believe the Hon Consuls do a good job have you ever tried to contact someone at the British Embassy in Bangkok for assistance?

Based on my experience, without going into details, they are useless and completely unhelpful ..... unless you are dead.

28 minutes ago, TheLobster said:

Whilst I believe the Hon Consuls do a good job have you ever tried to contact someone at the British Embassy in Bangkok for assistance?

Based on my experience, without going into details, they are useless and completely unhelpful ..... unless you are dead.

Based on my experience, they could not have been more helpful, and I am far from dead!       (I hope!)  Maybe you should have tried the "I am a real person" approach?

Post removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Archived