Man rescued after being trapped for three days in Samui jungle is British TV star

webfact

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now wait a minute, the hospital claiming " 570,000 THB per night "?!!  Several of the Thai insurance policies I was looking at buying from BUPA as I plan my retirement there have maximum payouts of 1M or 5 M.  What the heck is this hospital trying to do?  Pure extortion?  Wow Thailand.  You are dissuading me more and more every year from staying there permanently.

Most of the reporting and particularly the member comments, including those about the doctor's comments, embassy involvement and hospital charges is 100% wrong. You should know better than using The Sun reports as a reference.

I saw Paul yesterday.

He decided there was no reason to pay double price for a private hospital's room, just to get IV and pills for two weeks. When you are in a lot of pain how pretty the room is doesn't matter.

And their estimated cost of total cost till recovery, is not what he was charged for 4 hours in the first hospital, which was not BSH as many have implied.

He is 100% lucid, and aware enough to not want to waste money. I told him some of the B'S I have been reading and he laughed at least till it hurt literally.

PS. He has the money.

But he was robbed in Malaysia and lost his insurance info and contacts, his phone was trashed in the fall.

So why don't you all stop the bashing based on rumors and bad reporting.

was robbed in Malaysia and lost his

18 hours ago, animatic said:

But he was robbed in Malaysia and lost his insurance info and contacts, his phone was trashed in the fall.

So he took no steps to recover his insurance info and contacts after being robbed and before going to Thailand?  Before I travel, I scan or email all the stuff I might need in case I lose the papers.  I mean the idea is to have one's emergency documentation somewhat in hand in case there is an emergency.  But to each their own

On 19/07/2017 at 4:14 PM, zyphodb said:

No prizes for guessing which hospital is responsible for the extortion on Samui, there's a chain of them all over Thailand & allegedly all the ambulances (they're private), are bribed to bring any farangs straight to them rather than to the gov. hospitals, where they then charge sky high prices and (allegedly)hold on to your passport until their bill is paid...

Disgusting :bah:

Yes, I was taken there from KP, the KP doctor suspected a heart attack, they wanted me to sign a contract agreeing to a 68000 baht nightly charge which excluded treatment. I asked them when I would see a cardiologist and they told me that there wasn't one on the Island until Tuesday (it was Saturday). When I asked the administrator why they ripped off tourists in this way she just smiled. Anyway, got the gf to call a taxi to the gov hospital where I was very well looked after at a total cost of 7000 bht including meds for the weekend. Fortunately, no heart attack.

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:50 PM, delgarcon said:

Yes, I was taken there from KP, the KP doctor suspected a heart attack, they wanted me to sign a contract agreeing to a 68000 baht nightly charge which excluded treatment. I asked them when I would see a cardiologist and they told me that there wasn't one on the Island until Tuesday (it was Saturday). When I asked the administrator why they ripped off tourists in this way she just smiled. Anyway, got the gf to call a taxi to the gov hospital where I was very well looked after at a total cost of 7000 bht including meds for the weekend. Fortunately, no heart attack.

And people complain about Taxi Mafias......

On 7/22/2017 at 5:54 AM, gk10002000 said:

was robbed in Malaysia and lost his

So he took no steps to recover his insurance info and contacts after being robbed and before going to Thailand?  Before I travel, I scan or email all the stuff I might need in case I lose the papers.  I mean the idea is to have one's emergency documentation somewhat in hand in case there is an emergency.  But to each their own

Excuse me, you incorrectly assume he took no steps prior to the accident. But these things take time, and certainly was not possible within the 1st 4 hours after being rescued and not eating for 3 days. And not being able to walk or go to your residence to GET said paperwork is also a problem.

And then having a strange voice, on a strangers phone, asking questions before identifying themselves as 'The Sun' in the same time period as you are on an IV drip and getting first nourishment in 3 days to get your head clearing,  is problematic at best. Even if you immediately get on things after being robbed, it doesn't show up next day, or even next week in most cases not directly in Bangkok proper. 

1 hour ago, animatic said:

Excuse me, you incorrectly assume he took no steps prior to the accident. But these things take time, and certainly was not possible within the 1st 4 hours after being rescued and not eating for 3 days. And not being able to walk or go to your residence to GET said paperwork is also a problem.

And then having a strange voice, on a strangers phone, asking questions before identifying themselves as 'The Sun' in the same time period as you are on an IV drip and getting first nourishment in 3 days to get your head clearing,  is problematic at best. Even if you immediately get on things after being robbed, it doesn't show up next day, or even next week in most cases not directly in Bangkok proper. 

Think you're assuming that he didn't try to do all these things AFTER he was rescued, in contradiction to your first sentence!

2 hours ago, sambum said:

Think you're assuming that he didn't try to do all these things AFTER he was rescued, in contradiction to your first sentence!

Actually, I know, because I saw him the day he got back after the robbery.

These were two completely separate incidents.

And saw him twice in this last week in the hospital. I just missed him today.

22 hours ago, animatic said:

22 hours ago, animatic said:

In which case, you know more than the rest of us, so I would have thought that you would have explained yourself better!

"Excuse me, you incorrectly assume he took no steps prior to the accident. But these things take time, and certainly was not possible within the 1st 4 hours after being rescued and not eating for 3 days."

As you say, 2 separate incidents, but if he was robbed  before he came to Samui, why say  "Excuse me, you incorrectly assume he took no steps prior to the accident. But these things take time, and certainly was not possible within the 1st 4 hours after being rescued and not eating for 3 days."

Nobody is suggesting that he should try to do things from his hospital bed, and it's easy to criticise after the event, but if he took steps after he was robbed, and prior to the accident, should that not have included having checked and taken note of the details of his insurance (not just on his phone) before he came to a different country? 

On 19/07/2017 at 11:14 AM, zyphodb said:

No prizes for guessing which hospital is responsible for the extortion on Samui, there's a chain of them all over Thailand & allegedly all the ambulances (they're private), are bribed to bring any farangs straight to them rather than to the gov. hospitals, where they then charge sky high prices and (allegedly)hold on to your passport until their bill is paid...

Disgusting :bah:

which hospital is this please?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived