Thailand’s soft power rises, thanks to tourism and culture 

webfact

Thailand’s soft power rises, thanks to tourism and culture 

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thailand has been listed among the “ones to watch” in the annual Soft Power 30 report published by Portland Communications on Tuesday .

The report notes that Thailand has strength in the areas of tourism and culture, but weak in governmental performanceo. 

Poerland notes that the “ones to watch” category means that the country’s performance on soft power is positive enough for it to be close to the top 30. This year, Thailand is ranked 36th.

“While the country continues to grapple with political unrest, its soft power assets have been growing from strength to strength,” the report said.

It added that Thailand is “one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world, and the second-highest ranking Southeast Asian nation on our index”.

Thai cuisine, culture and warm hospitality also played a role in attracting international attention, the report said.

While Thailand has been promoting its innovative and tech-savvy economy through the Thailand 4.0 initiative, the US-based report suggests otherwise.

Government performance and digital sub-indices, it said, “are clear signs that the country should develop those areas to improve its soft power assets”.

This included an expectation of a smooth transition of power after next year’s election, which should give the Kingdom the space to promote cultural production, and increase investment in digital infrastructure and public diplomacy.

The leading soft power this year was France, followed by Canada, Germany, the United States and the United Kingdom.

“Despite major terrorist attacks and the rise of far-right nationalist populism, the internationalist, business-friendly party of Emmanuel Macron has been handed a large mandate to lead France forward after a period of political and social unrest,” the report said.

The US was downgraded from first position in last year’s report because global public opinion about the country had soured since president Donald Trump took office.

Four Asian countries made it into the Soft Power 30 –- Japan, Singapore, South Korea and China, with all of them except Singapore improving their ranking on the previous year.China, which ranked 25th, was said to have a better outlook on globalisation and environmentalism.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30321200

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-19

First, what exactly is 'Portland Communications"? And if no one has ever heard of it, why is there a story in the paper?

Second, Soft Power is "a persuasive approach to international relations, typically involving the use of economic or cultural influence." Can anyone tell me who is being influenced by Thailand's Soft Power? One country? Yes, the food is great and the people nice, but that does NOT actually translate into power or influence, it means a nice vacation.

Third, Thailand has been getting global attention for human rights abuses, human trafficking, military coups, street demos, over-fishing and slavery in the fishing sector, etc etc.etc.

I think this "index" is a bit suspect. To say the least.

I can't help but think that "Portland Communications" has received a nice Thai Gov't contract recently...

I am so thankful for this article.

I have a distant relative, that never achieved anything in his life, exept producing 5 children.

Next time, somebody asks me about my death-beat relative, now I can claim that he has some admirable "soft-powers".
Cheers.

Salutations to the Good General and his capable deputy Brother No.2, under whose brilliant and benevolent leadership, the country has progressed leaps and bounds to rise up amongst the league of nations, as certified by an organisation no less than 'Portland Communications'. Long may they live, may their tribe increase!

3 minutes ago, saakura said:

Salutations to the Good General and his capable deputy Brother No.2, under whose brilliant and benevolent leadership, the country has progressed leaps and bounds to rise up amongst the league of nations, as certified by an organisation no less than 'Portland Communications'. Long may they live, may their tribe increase!

:smile:

Archived