Grateful Recovered Alkie

Hi there, my name’s Patrick and I’m a recovered alcoholic. If there are any alcoholics out there suffering, please feel free to PM me and I’d be happy to tell you how I recovered.

I go to AA but totally disagree with the watered down version they have these days, i.e “one day at a time”, “just go to meetings” , “the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking” etc

On 7/24/2017 at 2:35 PM, Wilson Smith said:

HAHA, thanks for reaching out!

It's what it's all about! 

As it says in the Big Book, introduce yourself to others as a  recovered alcoholic.

Incidentally, 'recovered alcoholic' is mentioned 20 times in the big book. "Recovering alcoholic" is never mentioned, that I can see. 

"Our membership ought to include all who suffer from alcoholism. Hence we may refuse none who wish to recover. Nor ought A.A. membership ever depend upon money or conformity. Any two or three alcoholics gathered together for sobriety may call themselves an A.A. group, provided that, as a group, they have no other affiliations." -Tradition Three (The Long Form) 

FYI, this is the tradition 3 of AA.  note, ALL who suffer from alcoholism.

I was in a group where one non-alcoholic said, "you can't kick me out as I have a desire to stop drinking", as it says in the short form of the tradition. And shockingly, he was allowed to stay, despite admitting not being an alcoholic! The short forms were written for non-alkies, doctors etc to try to let them understand the program. Nowadays, too many non-alkies are in AA because of this loophole and it is damaging to the whole success rate of the program. 

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Hi, I'm also a grateful, recovered alkie.

I feel sad for those longterm recovering ones.

Hi there, and yes, alcohol is no longer part of our lives once we do the steps and have a spiritual experience. As early as doing step 3, the craving to drink is removed. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Hi there, my name’s Patrick and I’m a recovered alcoholic. If there are any alcoholics out there suffering, please feel free to PM me and I’d be happy to tell you how I recovered.
I go to AA but totally disagree with the watered down version they have these days, i.e “one day at a time”, “just go to meetings” , “the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking” etc

Your quotes are not at all from " these days " , I remember them from the 1960's when I was a child going to AA meetings with my dad

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Difficult night tonight .

I went to a Thai female friends birthday party , everyone sitting around a barbeque , drinking chang and whisky .

Offered me a drink, which I politely refused. As the evening wore on, everyone was getting drunk, bleary eyed and slurring their words .

They kept offering me a drink and I kept refusing . They then kept handing me a chang, which I refused to take, it was getting annoying, with them on drunken keep on repeating what they are saying repetitive mode  : *Have a drink, get drunk, why not*

I kept trying to explain that I cannot .

One of the drunken ladies even lifted a glass to my mouth

It was like being in a horror movie, with a bunch of zombies sitting there and saying "Join us, join us"

Difficult night tonight .

I went to a Thai female friends birthday party , everyone sitting around a barbeque , drinking chang and whisky .

Offered me a drink, which I politely refused. As the evening wore on, everyone was getting drunk, bleary eyed and slurring their words .

They kept offering me a drink and I kept refusing . They then kept handing me a chang, which I refused to take, it was getting annoying, with them on drunken keep on repeating what they are saying repetitive mode  : *Have a drink, get drunk, why not*

I kept trying to explain that I cannot .

One of the drunken ladies even lifted a glass to my mouth

It was like being in a horror movie, with a bunch of zombies sitting there and saying "Join us, join us"

Surely if it affected you that much you would just up and leave. Nothing is worse than someone trying to shove alcohol down the throat of someone who don't want it.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Surely if it affected you that much you would just up and leave. Nothing is worse than someone trying to shove alcohol down the throat of someone who don't want it.

I did do that .

Just stood up and walked away, Quite vociferously telling them that they are all a bunch of..............well, lets just say that I dont think that they are my friends anymore

@Sanemax well done on your tenacity and determination. At this stage in your recovery all that is important is avoiding that first drink. You have the rest of your life to sort out the rest of your life. There are no problems you have right now which will improve though having that first drink. On the contrary ......Yes, you will soon realise that people you thought were your friends are anything but, and you might realise that some people you never really liked could become your best friends. The truth is that all recovery is based on avoiding the first drink. If you don't take it, you cannot get drunk. As simple as that. Hence Tom, who always said, actually he roared, it's not about how smart you are, it's actually about how stupid you are - the less you think and analyse the better, the more you focus on avoiding that first drink, the better. Good luck with the rest of today.

Sounds like my first new years soberat my wife's house.

The second year, I explained to them all that I was an alcoholic and when I had just one drink it caused a craving, and would be drunk for days or months, probably start fighting them or trying to get off with the women. One old man came over and waied me on his knees. Nobody in that family had ever asked me to take a drink in 16 years.

On 10/5/2017 at 12:26 PM, Neeranam said:

Hi, I'm also a grateful, recovered alkie.

I feel sad for those longterm recovering ones.

Me too.

Keep up the good work, "the Bill Wilson  of Isarn" !

It was great to see what you've achieved In Thai AA at the last roundup.

On 03/01/2018 at 9:50 PM, MrPatrickThai said:

Me too.

Keep up the good work, "the Bill Wilson  of Isarn" !

It was great to see what you've achieved In Thai AA at the last roundup.

Lol, hardly.

Actually there is no, "Thai AA", but I know what you mean.

One of the joys of AA, maybe the biggest, is finding one other drunk to keep myself sober and due to the higher power, which I call God, seeing meetings appear all around me and the lives that are being saved, and families that are kept together.

Thanks for supporting our little get together with your experience of recovery.

That's what it's all about, IMHO.

Archived