"Remove these parasites" - Russian "beg-packers" move their con to Chiang Mai

webfact

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, themerg said:

Send them back to Mr. PoopedOn. Sorry, I mean send them back to Mr. Putin. He'll put them in the Russian Army.

What's all the fuzz about ?  I've seen more beggars in downtown L.A. than in the whole of Thailand.

That is a real shame.

17 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Don't feel sorry explain your narrow minded off the cuff and incorrect  post instead.

It's not "narrow minded".  Thai see all white skinned farang as the same.  They don't discern nationality in the least.  So if they see a white skinned foreigner begging like this, in their minds these people are "trash", and "must" be the same as all white skinned foreigners.  If that has to be explained to you, then you either don't live in Thailand, or you do, but are a total moron. 

5 hours ago, YetAnother said:

distasteful ? sure; illegal ? doubtful; i wonder how much spotlight this would have gotten if they were thai

Street vending is reserved occupation for Thais only, so yes it is illegal.

3 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

It's not "narrow minded".  Thai see all white skinned farang as the same.  They don't discern nationality in the least.  So if they see a white skinned foreigner begging like this, in their minds these people are "trash", and "must" be the same as all white skinned foreigners.  If that has to be explained to you, then you either don't live in Thailand, or you do, but are a total moron. 

Don't associate with the them so much and you might not feel gulty.

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Criticism is a bit strong,they are trying to sell photos of the kids,not forcing anyone to buy,

who knows their circumstances,it seems Farangs are more against them than Thai people ,

they are not harming anyone.there but for the grace of God ,go I.

regards Worgeordie

I have to agree with you in this case. Turned down offers of assistance according to other posters - depends what kind of offers they were - if she was being offered to be taken to her embassy, I would agree with her declining this "assistance". Embassies are not charities and certainly won't entertain the notion of helping their citizens who don't have enough money while in a foreign country. At most they would agree to help contact family members/friends at home and ask them to send money but that's about it. I mention this because a lot of Thais (and some foreigners) have this bizarre notion that embassies are supposed to pay their citizens bills when they run out of money abroad, wherever did they get this ridiculous idea from? If that were true, everyone would be spunging off their embassies claiming they were stranded and destitute.

1 minute ago, silent said:

Don't associate with the them so much and you might not feel gulty.

Trust me, I have absolutely no feelings of guilt whatsoever.  But I have lived here for over 9 years, married to a good Thai woman, and I know how they think.  If they see one drunk foreigner, then in their minds, all foreigners are drunks.  If they see one stupid foreigner, in their minds all foreigners are stupid.  Is that to difficult for you to understand and comprehend? 

27 minutes ago, scotchonrocks said:

If they are begging then as a foreigner that's prohibited. If they are trading anything on the street like that that's illegal too: no work permit. They should be rounded up and deported.

While it may look pathetic, unless they are pestering you and forcing you ton buy, what's the problem? Let the authorities handle this problem. There are plenty many illegals working on the streets of Thailand selling food, clothing and other items but they just happen to be from places like India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia.

Frankly I don't care if Mr. Mohammed from Dhaka who speaks a little Thai and sells me tasty roti in downtown Bangkok has a work permit or not. Not my business. As long as he doesn't interfere in my personal affairs, I won't interfere in his.

1 minute ago, Just1Voice said:

Trust me, I have absolutely no feelings of guilt whatsoever.  But I have lived here for over 9 years, married to a good Thai woman, and I know how they think.  If they see one drunk foreigner, then in their minds, all foreigners are drunks.  If they see one stupid foreigner, in their minds all foreigners are stupid.  Is that to difficult for you to understand and comprehend? 

Harsh but quite true in many respects.

I wonder how much of people's distaste for these people is because they are Russian. 

Perhaps it's more a case of working without a permit as opposed to begging. Leave it to the coppers. Hardly worth while getting upset about.  We're all people of the world. It's their way of making a living. There are other people selling a lot worse than these people. 

21 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

I live in Thailand half the year I am not a moron but a moron would make a statement like yours. 

I'm with four full blooded Thai people right now all of them don't agree with what you just said. Also when you quote someone on TVF you have to include the quote. How a couple people could have liked your post without even seeing my quote is just lovely.  So I guess all the Thais at Lebuas roof top last night thought I must have been " Mr Hi so respectable " because I was enjoying expensive cocktails with a view so with your theory they would think all white foreigners are the same so how could those same Thais think all whites are low life's as well?  I think where and who you spend your time  in Thailand with may reflect on your ignorant comments. 

1 minute ago, Just1Voice said:

I pray I don't get that self-conscious after another three years, appreciate your years of wisdom over mine, but if I worried about guilt by association so much I'd live somewhere else.

1 minute ago, alex8912 said:

I live in Thailand half the year I am not a moron but a moron would make a statement like yours. 

I'm with four full blooded Thai people right now all of them don't agree with what you just said. Also when you quote someone on TVF you have to include the quote. How a couple people could have liked your post without even seeing my quote is just lovely.  So I guess all the Thais at Lebuas roof top last night thought I must have been " Mr Hi so respectable " because I was enjoying expensive cocktails with a view so with your theory they would think all white foreigners are the same so how could those same Thais think all whites are low life's as well?  I think where and who you spend your time in Thailand maybe reflects on your ignorant comments. 

Try getting off your "rooftop" with the "hi-so" and find out what REAL Thai people are like, and what they think.  You might be surprised. 

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Russians? Guilty!

The court sentences them to pick up trash on the beach near my house here in Hua Hin for a month. They will be paid 200 baht a day to cover the cost of feeding the baby...

Next case.

Sounds eminentlysensible 

4 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

Try getting off your "rooftop" with the "hi-so" and find out what REAL Thai people are like, and what they think.  You might be surprised. 

I'm sure you are able to creep into and read the minds of all average Thai people. Don't forget you need a work permit for that!  Since the topic is a couple young Russians on the street selling some pictures, and how you want to turn this thread into how this small action will resonate with all the "average " Thai population that all white foreigners are young picture selling low lifes is just an amazing jump to a conclusion that most reasonable people reading this thread  and average Thai people do not believe. I think the actions of drunk foreigners in Pattaya at 3 am or even foreigners who pick up garbage on the beach would resonate a bit more than picture selling and I can't read the minds of Thais like you. 

4 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

One of the biggest problems is actually getting anyone to tell you what they really think, Hi-So, Mid-So or Lo-so.

99% of the time all of them will tell you what they think will make you happy.

I've been here since the 90's so it's possible I have a bit of experience of the place. Having met Hi-So types, Lo-So and Mid-so types I can tell you some have been genuine people and some have been complete __________s. That goes for every nationality by the way

Irrespective of 'status' deserved or thrust upon them anywhere it's an entirely individual thing with respect to other races whether they see them as individuals or an ambassador for their country. The main point is that in most cases, here, they will not, unless they really don't care (rare), answer in a way they think will upset you.  

All part of life's rich tapestry.

whats wrong with this people....i think is fair enough what they do ....they dont steal or rob you ..just offer their pics etc...if it works why not... there are other things ppl. should worry about..corruption...limited freedom of speech etc etc

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Criticism is a bit strong,they are trying to sell photos of the kids,not forcing anyone to buy,

who knows their circumstances,it seems Farangs are more against them than Thai people ,

they are not harming anyone.there but for the grace of God ,go I.

regards Worgeordie

It was just this week on thaivisa also that foreign people cannot sell anything on the streets having only a tourist visa and are not alowed to work no wp.

5 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

They look harmless to me, what's it to you if you either fling a few baht in their direction, or just walk past? Go back to your own expensively housed, schooled, and fed wife and kids, drive around in your wasteful car, who's the real parasite here?

Huh?? My goodness what a statement. 

But one thing positive, they do 'work' for some money and don't just hold up their hands.

Anyways, things they cannot do in Russia and the weather is better over here. Can beg all year round.

Archived