BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

"Thais ripping up their history" - local historian complains about work being done at historic cave

"Thais ripping up their history" - local historian complains about work being done at historic cave

8pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

PHETCHABURI: -- A Thai historian in Phetchaburi has criticized work being carried out at the historic cave of "Khao Luang" that dates back to the time of King Rama IV in the nineteenth century.

Lorm Phengkaew led a delegation of experts to inspect work that is being carried out at the cave over the next few months after

complaints were received from tourists about wanton destruction of Thai history.

Lorm and his team found that the contractor, who is being paid more than 16 million baht for the work due to be completed in December, had ripped up all the historic bricks from the floor.

81pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Lorm said that while some of the surface was in need of repair and had to be replaced much of it could be renovated and repaired. He said that the contractor had just removed it all and tossed the Thai history into a pile.

"It is destruction of the past," he told Thai Rath reporters.

That is him pointing at the bricks that would be the best part of 200 years old.

Local experts are planning to contact the Fine Arts department to complain about the work being carried out.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-21

It is a tragedy.... Vandalism pure and simple.

Successive governments in Thailand have displayed massive ignorance and indifference when it comes to REAL national heritage, preferring to promulgate a dumbed down jingoistic sugary Robin Hood type of popular myth instead.

This, together with their disregard for their natural heritage, is slowly strangling what could be such a beautiful country.

The authorities who profess to be guardians of Thai culture and heritage should hang the heads in shame and then learn their country's proper history.

That's not history!

History is things you can lie about, to make Thailand look better than it is!

Who cares for caves!

:coffee1:

11 minutes ago, DM07 said:

That's not history!

Who cares for caves!

This isn't actually 'rewriting history', it's simply removing dirty old history to pave way for progress (probably concrete, or maybe some new tiles made in China).

In the history of history there have been many successful accounts of history being rewritten successfully. There are also many accounts that never came to life.

Thailand is currently busy rewriting it's 1932 history to pave the way back to the dark ages.

A few years ago I read a history of Thailand. I can,t remember the exact title, it was a scholarly time, and quite heavy going, not many laughs, but I persevered as I was living here.

Now looking at the history my 12 year old daughter is taught at school, I realise exactly how much importance Thai's, or rather Thailand's leaders attach to history.

None.

They were only old and cracked tiles, the new ones from Homepro will be much nicer.

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

The authorities who profess to be guardians of Thai culture and heritage should hang the heads

....in a noose.

The word "contractor" says it all. This is not contract work, it is work that should be done by or done under close supervision of the Fine Arts Dept. I suggest some "reeducation" of the Fine Arts officials. Can start by having them personally piece together and re-lay the original tiles. They might be a bit more careful after that.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

"Thais ripping up their history"

Tzzzzzzzzz for a moment I thought this turns out to be an article about Thai school books.

3 hours ago, DM07 said:

That's not history!

Who cares for caves!

Utter nonsense, Sir.

2 hours ago, hansnl said:

Utter nonsense, Sir.

Aha!

As long as you do not provide more than snarky one- liners: I don't care, sir!

5 hours ago, DM07 said:

That's not history!

Who cares for caves!

not  only  that but every cave is  filled  with religious  nonsense totally ruining its natural features

3 hours ago, DM07 said:

Aha!

As long as you do not provide more than snarky one- liners: I don't care, sir!

....aaaaaand here we go, more utter nonsense:coffee1:.....kindergarten communication:cheesy:

9 hours ago, ben2talk said:

Thailand is currently busy rewriting it's 1932 history to pave the way back to the dark ages.

and seemingly doing it so well that the only people that can see it are non thais

9 hours ago, ben2talk said:

today's real thai leaders are a couple generations back so it should not be such a shock that they want to go back