Safety in KL

Hallo !

Did anyone go to Kuala Lumpur recently ?  My family will go there in mid Aug, But these days I read a lot about the horrible crimes on tourists: motorbike robbery, knife robbery, hammer robbery, robbery into shops/restraunts etc...Not only robbery, but also injury ........ This really makes me nervous because we will go there with our 4 year old girl ....

Thanks

As you will go there with your family and young kids, I am sure you will not hang out at dodgy places after midnight, hence, it should be fine. Most happens after dark or in bad areas (Chow Kit, Brickfields, Kampung Bahru).

I used to live in KL, in Pudu. In general pretty safe but some of the dodgy Indian neighborhoods to be avoided after dark. Generally, most of the trouble is going to be from South Asian migrants who come to KL for work and then turn to petty crime. The local Chinese and Malays are only interested in beating up on each other not foreigners.

If with family I doubt you would be anywhere that would cause any concern unless your 4 year old plans on hitting the clubs at 3 AM.

Spent all of last week in KL on a visa run, always found KL to be a safe and friendly place. Never felt threatened or concerned for my safety, although I would not venture in the areas suggested in earlier responses late at night.

I am there five or six times a year, a lot safer than anywhere in Thailand. 

As mentioned before only problems some areas and usually late night and drinking. 

Enjoy. 

Just now, Pilotman said:

Why KL?  Malaysia has many better places to try, than a big city, will all the issue that all big cities have.  I would suggest  Penang:,great place.  

Well said, I love the place and plenty of things to do and see. 

One of the big and only attractions of KL for me is that Air Asia fly  there from U Tapao,  just 8 miles from my house.  I have  a ticket for the last Malaysian GP in September, so perfect really.  

GF and I were there early this year, people friendly and helpful, quite a contrast to Bangkok. We stayed in Bukit Bintang, good shopping, eating etc. We also went to Georgetown on Penang and  Langkawi and thoroughly enjoyed it. We will be back. 

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Why KL?  Malaysia has many better places to try, than a big city, will all the issue that all big cities have.  I would suggest  Penang:,great place.  

i agree; over the course of several visits between 2008-2011, i have tried to like KL-

just found it to be rather soulless, but Penang is one of my fave cities anywhere, such a difference from KL...

as for the OP's question, even after midnight, i have never felt frightened or scared in KL, but of course after 10-11 p.m., one should avoid places where many locals are drinking , or obviously dodgy dirty neighborhoods after dark...

Bin there, felt save. 

Hired a taxi ( via hotel ) for a whole day, and explain what we like to see. 

He brought us,  give us the time we need, and waited for us. Up to the next ....

Was a very very delightful day, and we could do a lot of things...

it wasn't even expensive, and we had a good taxi driver telling us things brochures

never tell.

1 hour ago, davidst01 said:

Your main concern will be the dodgy taxi drivers. KL has the worst taxi drivers in the world! They will all try to overcharge...

agreed; i finally studied the bus routes and walked many places; as a matter of fact, one impromptu walk from the Thai embassy back to the central district, i chanced into a free museum show of ceramics by Salvador Dali-

i never would have even seen it from the taxi...

Same rules as other major cities. Avoid obviously dodgy places at late hours. All the touristy places, malls, main streets are perfectly safe during normal hours. Might be some pick pockets going on, but be sensible.

Gone there often, never a hint of a problem. Worst is taxis who don't like meters, but I never had a problem finding one that would. Often their quoted rates are close to meter

Don't miss the bird park. It is awesome. 

I wouldn't let fear guide me. All you hear on media is printed to make you afraid. Don't see many headlines that Father John built an orphanage. Fear sells. Probably worse in New York City. The natives don't hate us because we haven't gotten around to bombing them into the Stone Age.....yet. 

7 hours ago, moonseeker said:

Was there not long ago and felt safer and more welcome than in BKK. Everybody very friendly and helpful. Good town for a few days of shopping and exploring. You will likely only see central  KL anyway. Enjoy. MS>

Safer than thailand or stay home .

On 22/07/2017 at 6:51 PM, alantan88 said:

IMG_0882.PNG

This is probably the most laughable thing I have read on TV in many years. KL more dangerous than Manila? LOL..... I know both places very very well and the guys creating this list must be high on dope for sure.

I would walk miles and miles in most areas of Kl at night, but avoid to walk just 2 minutes in most areas of Manila (except Taguig/BGC) around midnight

On 22/07/2017 at 10:17 AM, davidst01 said:

Your main concern will be the dodgy taxi drivers. KL has the worst taxi drivers in the world! They will all try to overcharge...

That was true until about 5 years ago (and other cities in Malaysia like JB, KK, Penang-Georgetown weren't any better), but since then GRAB and UBER have arrived and have changed the transport landscape entirely.

Nowadays, nothing easier than to get around at any place/town in Malaysia - even Langkawi island has GRAB operating there now!

• 1 month later...
On 7/29/2017 at 1:54 PM, THAILIBAN said:

That was true until about 5 years ago (and other cities in Malaysia like JB, KK, Penang-Georgetown weren't any better), but since then GRAB and UBER have arrived and have changed the transport landscape entirely.

Nowadays, nothing easier than to get around at any place/town in Malaysia - even Langkawi island has GRAB operating there now!

Susan  you posted a LOL smiley here.....  have you been to KL now and did you make different experiences than what I have described? Just curious....

1 hour ago, THAILIBAN said:

Yes, went there already and love KL so much. I used public transportation system a lot and things went well. KL is a clean, well organised and modern city, and the weather is much cooler than here... I wish I could live there :))))))

Susan  you posted a LOL smiley here.....  have you been to KL now and did you make different experiences than what I have described? Just curious....

Archived