Police close AlphaBay, the world’s largest online black market, run by a Canadian expat in Bangkok

rooster59

Police close AlphaBay, the world’s largest online black market, run by a Canadian expat in Bangkok

BY JONATHAN FAIRFIELD

alpha-bay-2-634x336.jpg

Law enforcement officials in the U.S. and Europe have closed Alphabay, the world’s largest illegal online marketplace, which was run by a Canadian expat in Bangkok.

AlphaBay had around 200,000 members and was home to more than 40,000 vendors selling drugs, guns, hacking tools, scams and counterfeit goods.

The site was operated by Alexandre Cazes, a Canadian expat who lived in Bangkok and rose to prominence following the closure of Silk Road, another illegal online marketplace.

Cazes had been living somewhat of a luxury lifestyle in Thailand for the past eight years, where he owned three properties and four sports cars.

Cazes was arrested on July 5 and was expected to be extradited to the United States where he would have faced money laundering and drug trafficking charges.

However, he was found dead in his cell at the Narcotics Suppression Bureau headquarters in Bangkok just hours before he was due to attend an extradition hearing. Police said Cazes had hung himself.

Full story: http://tech.thaivisa.com/23075-2/23075/

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-22

If I'm not mistaken, whoever hanged him in his cell was the one that closed it down, when he was no longer able to instruct anyone to move the servers to a different country.

Maybe he did it to himself  Maybe somebody did it to him.  I know which way I'd bet...

Archived