Getting son to study english

Hello all

As we know you have a better chance of getting a decent job if you have the skills

My 8 yr old son has an half year English test coming up on Monday, so today we tried to get him to read, wife with son & book / I in the back ground willing to help & with a dictionary converting english words that are quoted in Thai

But to no avail / we can't belt it in to him, he just seems to go in to the Thai trans (as this is to difficult

I also suggest that he try learn on computer (tried that once but just ended up in the game episode )

He goes to Sarasat in a Billingual class (1/2 the for for the english side ) & as we know of course he will pass

We will move him to Assumption next yr but just the Thai classroom & look at getting a private falang tudor for a couple of hrs a wk after school

Sorry but a bit dragged out but would like him to even try rather then bury his head in the sand

I need help people as I know some of you would of went through this so Im interested in the stories 

PS: We even turn the TV off, But once we start he's into the trance & burying his head

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need to enforce his English at home. Dont you speak to him on a daily basis about his day and what is going on in English when you are around him? With an English speaking parent in the house this should be quite easy if you are willing to invest some time.  

Good luck with that move to the "other school" next year...Thai class...my Thai friends have their 2 boys already there...class sizes 50 to 57 students...!!!!!...and expensive...!!!

Perhaps keeping your son where he is presently and offering a "reward/s" for  progressing with his English  language skills may be a better option..?

You don't say which Sarasas school he is at. You should try the IEP programme at Sarasas, all lessons are taught in English except the 3 Thai compulsory subjects. All the students there speak great English.

English TV, comic books, any books, magazines, speaking English in the home all the time. Try reading with him with  books , any books, that interest him. Get him to a school such as suggested by remobb. 

And be careful with your english. You're not ending your sentences with a period. 

Too not to ; tutor not  tudor; would have not would of. 

If youre a bit sloppy with your language skills it will carry over to him. 

And keep in mind that these two languages are very dissimilar and it's very difficult to learn them both. My GFs 17 year daughter has been at it for years and still isn't fluent , making repeated errors such as not using past tense etc. 

Yet our five year old who goes to a school that is all English language except for the compulsory Thai portions is doing quite well.

And don't give up and don't turn it into a chore and a burden. 

How long have you known this boy?

I have a step son whose mother tongue is not English. I first met him when he was nine. To be fair, he is a natural linguist; but within a year he was conversational enough to be left to buy ice cream, talk to my relatives ... in the U.K. I talked to him in English constantly. We went out together without his mother. He had no choice but to be exposed to English.

My daughter is two years old and when we are together I talk to her all the time. In her two year old way, she is bilingual English and Thai. Her mother speaks English and Thai to her and that helps.

I don't know your situation and cannot judge you in any way. Just make it happen. Otherwise, save your money and forget the expensive schools if he can't appreciate what you are trying to do for him. You have time to sort this out as my step son helps to show.

You, and specifically your wife, need to stop speaking Thai to him except in the most explanatory roles. Even if her English is broken, it is better than his, is it not. Try to keep him away from Thai language at home--TV, movies, video games, music, computer all in English. Encourage him, with bribes if necessary, to speak English. You have to get involved; unfortunately the wife may only speak in English when you are around--so get her involved; both of you explain why you think he needs better English. Find a Thai friend and have them explain the reasons English is needed. Without role models, it will be too easy to simply go into that Thai trance.

Hi,

I am retired UK national lining on Rama 3 in Bangkok. I teach a bit of English to about 10 local kids, mainly focus on communication, reading, writing, listening. If you live anywhere nearby maybe we could have a chat to see if I can help your son? All the best

Andrew

My niece would get that blank look sometimes and there was seemingly no penetrating... She lives with me and there are about 20 Thai people in our compound and so, she was surrounded by Thai and I speak Thai too... that is the daily language here... however, I persisted in trying to speak to her mostly in English - she was always shy to speak as she did not like to speak improperly but she is gradually getting better and better... I keep encouraging - she is 12 now and I think understands quite a bit... sometimes it just takes time. 

Try getting him to watch English language TV programs only. My son who is now sixteen never watches Thai TV. He speaks English English without a trace of an accent. Like you, from the day he was born my wife spoke to him in Thai. I spoke to him in English. As he progressed in Thai my wife would teach him what I meant in English. From watching English TV, Discovery and Top Gear for example he uses words that I would rarely use. Keep at it but don't browbeat him. You can take the horse to water, but you can't make it drink! If you waited till he went to school to learn English, you were wasting your time. Most of my son's english teachers in all three schools he attended could barely speak the language and even taught the pupils. incorrectly from books with wrong spelling and grammar'"You pronounce Giraffe, Giraffeeee, because it has an e on the end" .

Don't give up. It has it's rewards later. I wish I had learnt Thai:sad:

It's all about exposure.  My stepdaughter arrived in the UK when she was 6 and within a few months she spoke English as well as the other kids.  She's 26 now and truly bi-lingual.  On the other side of the coin, my daughter came to Thailand from the UK when she was 5.  Her first language was English.  Once again within months she was speaking Thai.  She's 19 now and is also truly bi-lingual.

Make English your everyday language at home.  He gets enough Thai at school.

1 hour ago, GLewis said:

You need to enforce his English at home. Dont you speak to him on a daily basis about his day and what is going on in English when you are around him? With an English speaking parent in the house this should be quite easy if you are willing to invest some time.  

It may help to monitor what he's learning at school in terms of conversation.

At any school there should be a professional structured approach to: listening, comprehension, and conversation, based on well established progression. If you buy perhaps 2 well prepared English language learning books in a published series (easily found at many book shops with lots of cartoon like drawings and photos) you can easily work out the progression from the chapter / content details in the front of the books.

If there is no structured step by step progression in his lessons your first problem is the school or the teacher. If the teacher is untrained and lazy then each daily lesson will be all over the place and for many kids not much more than confusing and  daunting.

Can I suggest somehow get him into a progressive approach and that possibly includes a qualified farang teacher who sticks to a progression using a book series (any professional farang English teacher will be well aware of what series of books is suitable for your son's age and where to buy them), along with keeping you informed of what was taught / practiced 'today' so that you can do some focused reinforcement of todays' lesson and also previous lessons.

Good luck . 

The head down ignoring you - leave him alone and wait for him to want something and adopt the same response

He won't like it and in time will change his behaviour - Just be patient This will not change overnight.

JGV

9 minutes ago, Juan B Tong said:

Jeez,  what have you been doing for three last 8 years?

If you check some of the OP's previous posts he works outside of Thailand so is not home all the time , that's why I mentioned getting Educational games, videos and books that his son could use when he is not there to talk to him.

7 minutes ago, Juan B Tong said:

Jeez,  what have you been doing for three last 8 years?

Going to & from the home land

Well we had a little success but then it turns into him saying Bla Bla (known as the not interested side )

Was looking at online games & had him have a go of one ( a 6 - 10 yr old sentence one ) - not good

He has a mate that was born abroad & speaks fluent English but they only speak Thai together

Will investigate the links posters have mentioned

Thanks all

PS: Sarasat Korat (I think No: 2 ) & they dont let you past the front desk so you can actually see what's going on

6 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

If you check some of the OP's previous posts he works outside of Thailand so is not home all the time , that's why I mentioned getting Educational games, videos and books that his son could use when he is not there to talk to him.

Good pickup & this time i've had a good spell here & am trying to improve several situations as my posts have mentioned

If the TV is in english he will swap it to Thai if we are not watching - I know I should be more stern, but that would probably send him back to his phone Apps

a challenge for sure...motivation...at the age you force him he rebels...no progress..wasted time and money...Really want to enhance his English learning and all ...employ the geographical fix.

37 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

I have met foreign men here who cannot speak to their own children because the children speak Thai and the farang speaks English or German or ... this is men who live here, too. They should be ashamed of themselves.

24 minutes ago, Rhys said:

a challenge for sure...motivation...at the age you force him he rebels...no progress..wasted time and money...Really want to enhance his English learning and all ...employ the geographical fix.

Yes a challenge for sure (my wife speaks not to bad english) , But the sons friends mother mentioned to me once that Thais will only speak Thai to one another

1 minute ago, todlad said:

I have met foreign men here who cannot speak to their own children because the children speak Thai and the farang speaks English or German or ... this is men who live here, too. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Yes i can understand that & I think my son has learned something as i could walk around the house with him & point at variuos objects in which he will know but i would say as for putting things all together thats another story

Well now I have to look at some of the links as they may be more interesting then the one's I found 

Thanks all 

I tried teaching my son to read many years ago in his natural language, English.  It seemed to me he was deliberately stuffing up words and we would go over and over them without any improvement.  I found it very frustrating and in the end I had to give up trying.  We found out later he is/was dyslexic.  It may be worth having your boy tested and if he is it will explain why he is reluctant to read and you can concentrate on teaching him via other methods.

Archived