Getting son to study english

On 7/22/2017 at 4:55 PM, Beachdude said:

And be careful with your english. You're not ending your sentences with a period. 

And be careful your saying complete and grammatically correct English.

'You go Bangkok' etc., will just keep him in Tinglish, convince him that tinglish is OK,  and also leave him confused as to what is correct English. 

My Thai son (speaks perfect English, his Thai wife also) have carefully corrected several friends who talk to my son's daughters in broken English / tinglish. Friends response is always 'Just trying to make is more easy for the kids', etc. 

Truth is that sons 3 kids now already speak close to perfect English and they now ignore any tinglish, and respond with perfect English.

Most of their English ability comes from years of immersion at home, plus they've all studied in full English programs at school and been lucky to have well qualified, very capable and committed western English teachers, and good materials.

My son and his wife, and myself, always asked ' what English did you study today' and 'show me which pages in your course book', and then lots of reinforcement for a couple of hours by way of quickly turning the lesson focus into fun games at home, travelling in the car etc., It works! It's good family bonding too.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, scorecard said:

And be careful your saying complete and grammatically correct English.

'You go Bangkok' etc., will just keep him in Tinglish, convince him that tinglish is OK,  and also leave him confused as to what is correct English. 

My Thai son (speaks perfect English, his Thai wife also) have carefully corrected several friends who talk to my son's daughters in broken English / tinglish. Friends response is always 'Just trying to make is more easy for the kids', etc. 

Truth is that sons 3 kids now already speak close to perfect English and they now ignore any tinglish, and respond with perfect English.

Most of their English ability comes from years of immersion at home, plus they've all studied in full English programs at school and been lucky to have well qualified, very capable and committed western English teachers, and good materials.

My son and his wife, and myself, always asked ' what English did you study today' and 'show me which pages in your course book', and then lots of reinforcement for a couple of hours by way of quickly turning the lesson focus into fun games at home, travelling in the car etc., It works! It's good family bonding too.

Yes, this Tinglish. I call it "I happee" English. It seems the verb to be never landed in Thailand. I agree with you 100%: never fail to correct that with my Thai wife.

I never spoke baby English to my English English children and my Thai English daughter the same. My older boys were light years ahead of their friends at school in terms of grammar and vocabulary and all I did was treat them properly.

Thais lose word endings, don't they: that needs treatment too but it's easy, just repeat and repeat.

I mentioned the other day, I talk to my daughter all the time and she is a fantastic language sponge. No pressure, no arguments.

On 7/22/2017 at 8:12 AM, BEVUP said:

Yes i can understand that & I think my son has learned something as i could walk around the house with him & point at variuos objects in which he will know but i would say as for putting things all together thats another story

Well now I have to look at some of the links as they may be more interesting then the one's I found 

Thanks all 

Educational material is not all that is necessary; it is the environment in which the child is raised.

If your child could be exposed to more spoken English on a daily basis, then that might suffice for him to learn (as you have already found from your time with him).  Preferably you would want your child to grow up to be bilingual, but if you plan to raise your boy in Thailand, then you should set your expectations slightly lower if you want him to be proficient in English.  I'm not saying he could not be an ace, but do give some slack.

The next time you are in Thailand to visit your son, hang out with him all day long.  No wife, no Thai.  Just you and him.  Ask him questions, or just talk to him.  He'll learn eventually the English language.  Teaching him to read will be another topic.

P.S.  My two daughters are opposite your son; they speak fluent English (American), but nit noi with respect to Thai.  The other day, both daughters were asked by an official of the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs to sign (write) their name in Thai-script for an application to renew their Thai passports.  What fun that was.  My youngest is 10 years old, and has perhaps only spent a total of 15 months of her life in Thailand.

Archived