Carnage on the Thai roads "even worse than you think" reports Thai media.

rooster59

Carnage on the Thai roads "even worse than you think" reports Thai media.

road.PNG

Image: Daily News

The Daily News has said that the death toll on the Thai roads is even worse than people think.

And that is bad enough with a big rise in fatalities in the first six months of this year compared to last year.

Daily News is running a campaign with several other agencies to try and do something about the carnage. So far their efforts are floundering - things are just going from bad to worse.

Now they have quoted a representative from a drink driving foundation partner in the campaign who said that the official figures don't add up to the real number killed.

The official figures are just those "killed at the scene" of accidents said Thaejing Siriphanit.

The reality is much, much worse.

He added there were also "reporting irregularities" as some offices producing figures don't work at the weekend and only report the latest deaths on Tuesdays.

The figures released so far this year make grim reading.

In the first six months of this year 6,712 people died at the scene of accidents nationwide. This compared to 5,308 in the same period in 2016.

That is 25% more deaths year on year.

Nationwide since the start of the year here are the stats for "dead at the scene":

January 947 Averaging around 30/day
February 850 30/day
March 1,281 41/day
April 1,382 46/day
May 1,124 36/day
June 1,128 37/day.

So far in July the loss of life continues unabated: there were 710 deaths since July 1st with 36 yesterday.

Figures for April - when the authorities mounted their usual Songkran road safety campaigns - were the worst.

Thaivisa notes that Thailand has been named as the second worst country on earth for per capita road death. When deaths at hospitals are added to the figures the true state of the problem becomes more apparent.

Only war torn Libya trumps it.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-22

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're actually stating that we can't trust the RTP to tell us what's going on? or to complete paperwork in a timely fashion?

At least they aren't saying the police must wait for one of their friends that can read and write to come into the office so they can help them fill out the forms....

No surprises here - lots of death and no proper system for doing policework or counting dead people.

1 minute ago, Smiley Face said:

Just goes to show what happens when a nation of "me first" is allowed to operate motor vehicles. 

A little more complex than that, a curable problem but who cares - - and no need to worry, new trains, planes and submarines will sort it out pronto. 

Just now, SABloke said:

That number includes people that died as a result of injuries later so is more accurate.

Just highlighting more informative data is available.

It was established long time ago that in Thailand, lives are cheap, and it manifest

itself in many forms in the thai society, from committing crimes that will put them

in jail for their lives to the  perilous way they drive cars trucks and motorcycles..

where the concept of safety is not in their vocabulary..... 

Why differentiate between those who die at the scene of the accident, and those who die a bit later either in the ambulance or at hospital? A dead person is a dead person.  It's just another way of shying away from the true toll. So much for the Junta leader's claims that he would reduce fatalities by 70% within a year. In any case, the Thai public isn't the slightest bit interested in a safety campaign, or any other measures that might prevent them riding on the wrong side of the road, or packing babies and infants onto motorbikes. 

So does that mean if the fatality numbers were tweaked to give a more accurate reading like the story is suggesting then Thailand could be No.1on the world road fatalities/per capita list? 

If so then that world record could probably be counted as PM Prayut's greatest ever under achievement. He is personally in charge of everything in Thailand from the attire of twerking dancers to road safety and corruption. The buck stops with him on every little thing even though he habitually passes the blame on to someone else.

And to think, so many of you have said over and over that it's not true about not counting them as a road casualty unless they die on the road. That it was just a "bar stool rumor." 

I do hope your rose tinted glasses didn't just crack a bit. 

Thailand just may take #1 in the world this year if they don't fudge the reports too much. 

On average l drive 50km a day in Chiang Mai . Not many days go by when l dont see the aftermath of an accident. How any of these people reach middle age is amazing to me. Can you imagine the death figures if Thailand had adverse weather conditions other than monsoon. Patches of ice on the road for example! 

Just now, rooster59 said:

The official figures are just those "killed at the scene" of accidents said Thaejing Siriphanit.

I've said this many times on this site over several years. "killed at the scene" is, however, incorrect. It is die within a 24hr period of the accident. 25 hrs and you are not a road death stat.

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

And to think, so many of you have said over and over that it's not true about not counting them as a road casualty unless they die on the road. That it was just a "bar stool rumor." 

I do hope your rose tinted glasses didn't just crack a bit. 

Thailand just may take #1 in the world this year if they don't fudge the reports too much. 

I rarely miss a chance to have a go at the Thai-bashing policemen on here. Ask suradit their chief constable..

I ride a motorcycle, and not only do I worry about getting killed in an accident, I also worry about a slower death breathing the fumes of some seriously dirty polluters out there. Always amazes me how Thais accept being blasted by black smoke out the rear of a pickup. 

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The Daily News has said that the death toll on the Thai roads is even worse than people think.

And that is bad enough with a big rise in fatalities in the first six months of this year compared to last year.

Not to shock you but most people I know are not going to be suprised by this at all. In fact you are starting to catch up and report what people already know.

- Me want go first.

- Me can drink and drive crazy, because no police.

- Me no need wear helmet or seat belt.

- Me put family in back of pickup.

- Me get license in 5 days.

- Me safe and can drive fast, because have Lucky Amulet in car.

- Me only think about ME.

What did they think would happen?

9 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

What percentage are motorcycle deaths?

Not sure but it was reported recently Thailand has the highest motorcycle death rate in the world. That statistical alone must help greatly to get them up near No.1 overall position on the world road mortality ladder.

Archived