Carnage on the Thai roads "even worse than you think" reports Thai media.

rooster59

It isn't only Thais. On my way to renew my license I drove behind a car following a lorry, the road was clear so I over took,just as I was next to the car he decided to overtake the lorry as well and swerved out, I reacted immediately by swerving hard right and found myself on the motorbike lane with two motorbikes coming towards me not 50 meters away, I braked hard and they disappeared down a two meter high embankment. Luckily the road was being widened at that point so they landed still upright on a wide expanse of soft clay/sand that had been planed flat, the other car driver was long gone. Bloody Thai driver I said to my wife who was sitting next to me, No she said,he was a young blond farang. Puhket number plate, so if you the driver are reading this luckily no one was hurt.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been a well known fact for many years that dead at the scene of accident and death after the accident in hospital or enroute are two different things... AS FAR AS STATS GO!!!  One is recorded and the other is not.

18 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

And why are these drivers speeding in the first place, allowing so many accidents to happen? The primary reason is the toy police force. Nobody, and I mean nobody takes these guys seriously. There is absolutely nothing in the way of a deterrent here, and both the local governments, the central government, and the police do not take traffic safety seriously. Not even one iota. The safety of the public means less than zero to the small men in charge here. Nothing. They show that on a daily basis.

When I was growing up, we took drivers education classes. They showed us these horrendous films, of semi trucks crashing into cars, and literally obliterating them, and everything inside. Also, they showed very graphic images of head on collisions. Even as a young kid, it left a lasting impression, and I realized driving was no joking matter. Especially when you have your friends, or loved ones in the car with you. I am constantly astonished at the kinds of chances people take here, with their entire family in the car with them. Why? What is the logic? What is the reason? Why take those risks? Often, when someone cuts onto the highway in front of me, as I am doing 100kpm or more on the highway, I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me for quite some distance. Which means, had they paused, and waited 2 or 3 seconds, there would have been zero risk to them, their family, or me and my family. What can one even say? All of this matters even more when driving a motorbike, where there is no protection. 

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law. 

Now for my scooter rant:

Many of us drive motorcycles or scooters here, and it is dangerous getting on the roads with some of these other drivers. 

Getting on a scooter, or a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand, much less Phuket, Phangan, Dark Tao, or Samui without a very good helmet, is like playing Russian Roulette with three or four bullets in the chamber. It is absolutely asking for problems. The degree of recklessness here is astounding. And many foreigners come here thinking "how much trouble could I get in on a little scooter, on a tropical island"? Well, the answer is alot. The amount of foreigners who are killed on the Southern islands is staggering. Most are not reported in the media. I had a friend who worked for Samui rescue for many years, and said the numbers were about 30-60 a month, on Samui, Phangan and Koh Tao. The official number is about 3 a month. Rider beware. Use as good a helmet as you can afford, and do not use these eggshells pieces of crap. They crack at the first impact, and what lies underneath them? Your skull, which is very delicate. 

Just ask yourself- do I have enough problems already, without a broken skull, or smashed head, or face injury, or lost eye? I have two friends who have been in motorbike accidents on Samui within the last two years. One still cannot walk, or talk or function on her own, from a motorbike accident, where she hit her head on the pavement going only 20 kph. The other one has lost alot of his mental capacity after hitting his head. He insisted for years he would never wear a helmet. Now, he seems 15 years older. 

I was told by a very reliable source. He did not have an agenda. He rescued alot of the survivors. He attended to alot of the ones who did not make it. The press here is highly censored. The report only what the so called leaders want them to report. Nothing else. Social media? Why would social media report these statistics? They report individual accidents, but not overall statistics. Anything you read about accidents on Samui in the media would be false. 

• Road deaths are now calculated based on fatalities on-site. Victims dying later in hospital not counted.
  • In 2000 there was an average of 30 deaths a month on Koh Samui (official figures released each month).
  • Now it is stated that Koh Samui has 3-5 deaths each month (using the new way of reporting road deaths).
  • In the last ten years the population has almost doubled and there are now 5x more vehicles on Koh Samui.
  • Based on ‘official figures’ today it is possible to estimate that Koh Samui currently has 60 deaths per million per year. (Compared to 23 in London.) Based on the population and traffic density statistics from 10 years ago Koh Samui has in reality 720 deaths per million per year. This is probably the highest rate of road deaths in the world. Samui is a fatality death spot that nobody is willing to acknowledge!
  • What is the #1 highest fatality country? Libya? Want to guess how many of those road deaths are due to IED's, or someone being shot? If there was not a war going on in Libya, Thailand would surely have the well deserved #1 spot. There is never a time I am on the highway, that I do not see some brainless numskull driving so carelessly, that it boggles the mind. In the US, he would have his car confiscated, his license suspended, and be fined thousands of dollars for such behavior, within 10 minutes. Here? Nothing. I have never once heard of someone being cited for reckless driving. Not once.

Well said Mike

7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

And why are these drivers speeding in the first place, allowing so many accidents to happen? The primary reason is the toy police force. Nobody, and I mean nobody takes these guys seriously. There is absolutely nothing in the way of a deterrent here, and both the local governments, the central government, and the police do not take traffic safety seriously. Not even one iota. The safety of the public means less than zero to the small men in charge here. Nothing. They show that on a daily basis.

When I was growing up, we took drivers education classes. They showed us these horrendous films, of semi trucks crashing into cars, and literally obliterating them, and everything inside. Also, they showed very graphic images of head on collisions. Even as a young kid, it left a lasting impression, and I realized driving was no joking matter. Especially when you have your friends, or loved ones in the car with you. I am constantly astonished at the kinds of chances people take here, with their entire family in the car with them. Why? What is the logic? What is the reason? Why take those risks? Often, when someone cuts onto the highway in front of me, as I am doing 100kpm or more on the highway, I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me for quite some distance. Which means, had they paused, and waited 2 or 3 seconds, there would have been zero risk to them, their family, or me and my family. What can one even say? All of this matters even more when driving a motorbike, where there is no protection. 

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law. 

Now for my scooter rant:

Many of us drive motorcycles or scooters here, and it is dangerous getting on the roads with some of these other drivers. 

Getting on a scooter, or a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand, much less Phuket, Phangan, Dark Tao, or Samui without a very good helmet, is like playing Russian Roulette with three or four bullets in the chamber. It is absolutely asking for problems. The degree of recklessness here is astounding. And many foreigners come here thinking "how much trouble could I get in on a little scooter, on a tropical island"? Well, the answer is alot. The amount of foreigners who are killed on the Southern islands is staggering. Most are not reported in the media. I had a friend who worked for Samui rescue for many years, and said the numbers were about 30-60 a month, on Samui, Phangan and Koh Tao. The official number is about 3 a month. Rider beware. Use as good a helmet as you can afford, and do not use these eggshells pieces of crap. They crack at the first impact, and what lies underneath them? Your skull, which is very delicate. 

Just ask yourself- do I have enough problems already, without a broken skull, or smashed head, or face injury, or lost eye? I have two friends who have been in motorbike accidents on Samui within the last two years. One still cannot walk, or talk or function on her own, from a motorbike accident, where she hit her head on the pavement going only 20 kph. The other one has lost alot of his mental capacity after hitting his head. He insisted for years he would never wear a helmet. Now, he seems 15 years older. 

I was told by a very reliable source. He did not have an agenda. He rescued alot of the survivors. He attended to alot of the ones who did not make it. The press here is highly censored. The report only what the so called leaders want them to report. Nothing else. Social media? Why would social media report these statistics? They report individual accidents, but not overall statistics. Anything you read about accidents on Samui in the media would be false. 

• Road deaths are now calculated based on fatalities on-site. Victims dying later in hospital not counted.
  • In 2000 there was an average of 30 deaths a month on Koh Samui (official figures released each month).
  • Now it is stated that Koh Samui has 3-5 deaths each month (using the new way of reporting road deaths).
  • In the last ten years the population has almost doubled and there are now 5x more vehicles on Koh Samui.
  • Based on ‘official figures’ today it is possible to estimate that Koh Samui currently has 60 deaths per million per year. (Compared to 23 in London.) Based on the population and traffic density statistics from 10 years ago Koh Samui has in reality 720 deaths per million per year. This is probably the highest rate of road deaths in the world. Samui is a fatality death spot that nobody is willing to acknowledge!
  • What is the #1 highest fatality country? Libya? Want to guess how many of those road deaths are due to IED's, or someone being shot? If there was not a war going on in Libya, Thailand would surely have the well deserved #1 spot. There is never a time I am on the highway, that I do not see some brainless numskull driving so carelessly, that it boggles the mind. In the US, he would have his car confiscated, his license suspended, and be fined thousands of dollars for such behavior, within 10 minutes. Here? Nothing. I have never once heard of someone being cited for reckless driving. Not once.

The main thing that is overlooked on here is the fact thats its not only you that can do as you like on the roads

Not you personally of course

No nanny state, get on with it

Thats without the genuine accidents / mistakes

Hence the high accident rate

It isn't only Thais. On my way to renew my license I drove behind a car following a lorry, the road was clear so I over took,just as I was next to the car he decided to overtake the lorry as well and swerved out, I reacted immediately by swerving hard right and found myself on the motorbike lane with two motorbikes coming towards me not 50 meters away, I braked hard and they disappeared down a two meter high embankment. Luckily the road was being widened at that point so they landed still upright on a wide expanse of soft clay/sand that had been planed flat, the other car driver was long gone. Bloody Thai driver I said to my wife who was sitting next to me, No she said,he was a young blond farang. Puhket number plate, so if you the driver are reading this luckily no one was hurt.

As an experienced driver in Thailand, I certainly agree that it's not just the Thais who drive like idiots!

As long as there is nearly no proper way of teaching to drive and apply of what they learn and as no police force takes those idiots from the road who can't drive, it will not change. On the contrary, the population grows, more people buy vehicles, so more will die....

3 hours ago, dcnx said:

And to think, so many of you have said over and over that it's not true about not counting them as a road casualty unless they die on the road. That it was just a "bar stool rumor." 

I do hope your rose tinted glasses didn't just crack a bit. 

Thailand just may take #1 in the world this year if they don't fudge the reports too much. 

TAT, latest announcement, "Thailand the Hub of Road Kills, nobody can beat us"

Just now, Thaijack2014 said:

As long as there is nearly no proper way of teaching to drive and apply of what they learn and as no police force takes those idiots from the road who can't drive, it will not change. On the contrary, the population grows, more people buy vehicles, so more will die....

Having just renewed my license a few days ago,the boss there told us that very soon renewing is going to get tough, two days at least with lots of extra tests, maybe I'll be dead by then.

Law enforcement and heavy financial penalties and disqualification from driving for a lengthy period is the only answer

I introduced an extra charge for late payments in my business - after that no one paid late - consequences for your behaviour usually works

Do the math. The figures previously  reported is 26,000 a year. This included 'at scene and in hospital ' that's just over 70 deaths a day. The same report from World Health Organization say 88% motor cycles/Scooters.  Either way if it was some sort of disease they've throwing billions at it. 

If it is all down to a general pattern in the culture in which one must deny anything unpleasant could ever happen, while driving or otherwise, that to think about it let alone talk about or base one's actions on possible negative outcomes for fear of invoking such outcomes, then the situation is worse than the article writer ever thought it was. I think it is down to a 3 monkey's stance in life of see no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil, the notion that by ignoring what is unpleasant it all goes away. 

That said, you have to admire how Thais get on with happily living their lives in a hopeless tornado of tragedy and chaos and are seemingly content with it. It is really a non-starter to talk with most Thais I know about safety or cultivating an attitude of foresight. Its like someone who drinks heavily all the time and chuckles that he enjoys his drinks, he's not going to get off the sauce anytime soon if ever.

We are all rather bored of the crocodile tears about road deaths tho, I'd like to see stats of how many people die in the hospital after going in for minor surgery or other minor problems stemming from road accidents. I wonder if the same recklessness that we see on the road going on in the hospitals is well known to the survey takers and that that is why we only get the numbers dead at the site of the accident. Perhaps that is what is alluded to by saying its worse than we think, that too many doctors make victims with minor injuries into science projects, and too many others are so incompetent and careless that people die of relatively minor wounds and other injuries they got from their various crashes .

Really tho, dying on the roads here is probably better than being creamed and living in some atrocious semi-livng state, helpless and unable to work or live and simply there as a cash cow for the medical industry.

Its all so boring and I am sorry to probably be even more boring droning on and on and on about this perpetually recycled story about the tragedy of the state of Thai safety which is going to be with Thailand as long as there are people here.

Thailand is surely #1  in road deaths if all the deaths were properly counted...A death is Not counted after the ambulance picks you up even if you die a few minutes later...Paying with the numbers...

3 hours ago, franklnooner said:

Not surprised at all the killing will continue on thai roads until there is strick moving violations enforcement which we all know wont hapoen.

Looking for a partner to get into the Mortuary Hospital business 

I was thinking cremations.

Is there no inquest into cause of death when a person dies in unnatural circumstances?

Or is being killed in a road traffic accident just a normal day at the office for Thai's?

Until they start to record the numbers properly they just can not see the gravity of the situation, I personally think the driving standard in Thailand is so bad that the Thai Driving License should not be recognised as a document of driver competency and no other country should allow anyone with a Thai Driving Licence to drive in their country. 

8 hours ago, ben2talk said:

They're actually stating that we can't trust the RTP to tell us what's going on? or to complete paperwork in a timely fashion?

At least they aren't saying the police must wait for one of their friends that can read and write to come into the office so they can help them fill out the forms....

No surprises here - lots of death and no proper system for doing policework or counting dead people.

Well perhaps it is not really the RTP that are to blame.  Someone deliberately set a policy to provide false information by only recording Road Traffic Deaths that occur at the scene.  Unlike the rest of the world deliberately to skew figures.   If it was not deliberate it would have been fixed by now.  Also it is not made clear which govt departments do not record deaths at weekends.  I ce again typical poor journalism again 

If a country was at war and had 26,000 fatalities a year plus thousands more crippled and maimed they would surrender.

If a country had a deadly disease killing 26,000 a year no one would be allowed to go there from other countries.

Some one asked why do they drive like idiots - because they are exactly that, Idiots.

I have said this before and still to do. They are 8 year olds in adult bodies and the 10 year old bullies are in charge. Wake up and smell the coffee folks, and remember they never, never, never, ever take instruction or advise from a foreigner. Because that is when they become the belligerent 8 year old....I guess many of you who have/had a Thai partner will recognize those signs?

So nothing posted on this thread will make a blind bit of difference.

Move on folks, nothing to see here but lots of normal carnage....Hey! Somchai hose that blood and bits of brain down the drain, don't want to the ruin the "image" of the place......

3 hours ago, hansnl said:

Blaming the latest PM of Thailand for the carnage on the roads is a bit silly.

How on earth can he change the state of mind of the Thai people.

This state has been growing for very long, and I guess is quite difficult to change or stop within a couple of years.

The blame lies divided by the police not doing their work and the gods, ghosts or whatever that might change the mentality of road users in Thailand.

I blame the current PM of Thailand. He is the head honcho who can control the lazy police and makes sure the existing laws be observed and obeyed, which they aren't, and make the judiciary hand out deserved penalties.

Do you have a problem with that or am I being silly?

Australia with a population of 25M had a  road toll for 2016 of aprox 1200 people, thats'  5 for every 100 000 people

Thailand with a population of 68 M had an aprox road toll of  if (35 people died a day x 365= 12 775) or aprox 17 for every 100 000 people

however here we have a report of up to 80 people a day

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2015/03/thailand-road-deaths/#wcKy3LxQfxEMgmC7.97

or 44 people dying for every 100 000 

These figures read like casualties in war,

1 minute ago, jhonnie said:

Australia with a population of 25M had a  road toll for 2016 of aprox 1200 people, thats'  5 for every 100 000 people

Thailand with a population of 68 M had an aprox road toll of  if (35 people died a day x 365= 12 775) or aprox 17 for every 100 000 people

however here we have a report of up to 80 people a day

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2015/03/thailand-road-deaths/#wcKy3LxQfxEMgmC7.97

or 44 people dying for every 100 000 

These figures read like casualties in war,

And do you think anyone in the Prayut military government cares about the road death rate. After all they get about in protected convoys in chauffeur driven limousines. They couldn't care less how many deplorables die on the roads. 

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Without moralizing, I hope you learned your lesson and recognize your own part in this close call.

There is a reason you are told not to try and pass more than 1 car at a time. It is precisely because the car in front of you may be planning on passing as well, and it is not unusual that people do not check their mirrors when deciding on passing a slower moving vehicle. The driver of the car was likely totally unaware you were even there, as he was concentrating on passing the truck in front of him. Of course, there are times when after a long period you decide the car in front is not going to pass and you can safely perform the maneuver you mention here, but it should be a well thought out and calculated decision after you have slowed down and trailed the car for many seconds and verified he has shown no intent to pass despite being given ample opportunity.

Lacking more information and a dash cam video it is difficult to say who was more at fault,  but this is a very common cause of accidents in Thailand, and you really should endeavor to be more aware of this in the future.  I wouldn't be so quick to lay all the blame on the other guy for this one. Your description of events actually sounds quite incriminating. Seems like you both made mistakes here and it was lucky nobody was hurt.

It certainly isn't worse than I personally, think.

Having lived in Thailand, and driven a car here for the past 12 years, I clearly remember thinking then that I avoided a potential accident maybe once every week, when I started to drive here, through their incompetence, not mine.

About 5 years ago that thinking process changed to maybe once a day where I either saw, or avoided, either on motorbike or in car, a once a day kind of occurrence of the same lack of driving skills or thought process.

Now, here in Chiang Mai, daily and also when I travel eastwards, (twice a year - approx. 1,000Km each way), I see at least 2-3 accidents, or am participant in avoiding potential accidents, every day.

The level of driving expertise in Thailand is appalling. 

Nearly every driver, man or woman, appears incapable of using wing mirrors, indicators, turning into a minor - or even a major road, competently, appropriately or even adequately, not to mention a myriad of other traffic infringements or violations, including excessive speed. Any intervention on your own part is likely to initiate an immediate, unnecessary, selfish and often violent confrontation with an indignant, self-styled important and ignorant Thai driver, male or female, prepared to offer violence or attach blame to someone else.

The driving skills I learned in the UK have served me well for many years. This 'carnage', and it is an appropriate word, all stems from a continued governmental, blinkered view of how Thai people should drive. It is likely to continue for many years before someone, maybe, decides to look more closely at the current driving lack of skills.

Meanwhile, I hope that I have become a better, observant and defensive driver over the years, in order to avoid or become involved, in the terrible loss of life here in the land of smiles. 

How many Thai families are there in Thailand that no longer smile?

What this article shows is “same ol’, same ol’” - and it exposes the disastrous shortcomings in Thailand’s efforts to deal with the death toll on the kingdom’s roads. It contributes nothing new

“Death at the scene”
This has been mooted for some time, but it really is misleading as other compilers - e.g. WHO don’t use this method...in fact anyone who wants to compile stats can use a different method.

The article also has no definition of “death at the scene” - and no it isn’t obvious. For instance - how long is the “scene” duration? How long if any is emergency response, what are the various parameters of “scene” - e.g. area, time etc.

The fact is that if you go to a hospital and you die, your death, including causes of death are recorded. ...And these stats are available should any agency choose to use them.

Furthermore there is some weird blind acceptance in many countries that police are the “experts” on road safety - WHY? Of course they are not - in some countries they are experts at analyzing and reporting RTIs but this is clearly not the case in Thailand, as even the most basic procedures aren’t adhered to.

The stats quoted in the article are suggesting 30 to 45 per day - when in fact there have already been calculations that put the death rate as high as 80 per day.

This is old news and it is misinterpreted.... it doesn’t suggest there are more deaths than we think as we know already that police handling od ALL THINGS road safety is inept and unreliable so figures and assessments - real scientific assessments take this into account.

The problem is not the numbers - we know the death toll is too high, what is SERIOUSLY amiss with Thai road safety is a proper scientific approach to the problem.

The chap in the article is like everyone else simply trumpeting a single issue - as long as that happens no real progress can be made, we need an analytical holistic approach carried out by those who for a change actually know what they are talking about.

Unfortunately road safety in Thailand is subject to the same constraints as so many other issues - no real research, no analysis, no looking at the world knowledge base, just a silly man in an office who has an idea whilst at lunch and a pointless dictum is hatched.

In the end  this article is just a waste of type - it changes nothing contributes nothing and  will only reinforce the nations inept attitude to road safety.

1 hour ago, Basil B said:

Is there no inquest into cause of death when a person dies in unnatural circumstances?

Or is being killed in a road traffic accident just a normal day at the office for Thai's?

Until they start to record the numbers properly they just can not see the gravity of the situation, I personally think the driving standard in Thailand is so bad that the Thai Driving License should not be recognised as a document of driver competency and no other country should allow anyone with a Thai Driving Licence to drive in their country. 

"They" do...it's just the police don't.

31 minutes ago, Monomial said:

Without moralizing, I hope you learned your lesson and recognize your own part in this close call.

There is a reason you are told not to try and pass more than 1 car at a time. It is precisely because the car in front of you may be planning on passing as well, and it is not unusual that people do not check their mirrors when deciding on passing a slower moving vehicle. The driver of the car was likely totally unaware you were even there, as he was concentrating on passing the truck in front of him. Of course, there are times when after a long period you decide the car in front is not going to pass and you can safely perform the maneuver you mention here, but it should be a well thought out and calculated decision after you have slowed down and trailed the car for many seconds and verified he has shown no intent to pass despite being given ample opportunity.

Lacking more information and a dash cam video it is difficult to say who was more at fault,  but this is a very common cause of accidents in Thailand, and you really should endeavor to be more aware of this in the future.  I wouldn't be so quick to lay all the blame on the other guy for this one. Your description of events actually sounds quite incriminating. Seems like you both made mistakes here and it was lucky nobody was hurt.

"Lacking more information and a dash cam video it is difficult to say who was more at fault,"

this is an archaic and no productive approach to road safety....discarded in most countries Thailand clings to this sort of approach despite the fact it is proven to be wrong. Until these ancient ideas are stamped on, progress will be minimal....in the case of Thailand retrogressive

Im going to list everything that needs to be fixed. In no specific order.

Insane u-turns from fast lane to fast lane. Extremely dangerous for motorbikes that need to go from slow lane to fast lane and then u turn and go from fast lane to slow lane again.

Everybody driving like <deleted>. Motorbikes, cars, nobody is letting others in, people go crazy when you finally "cut them off" after having signalled for hours.... See also problem above with crazy u turns combined with that nobody lets u in...

Motorbikes driving between cars inappropriately fast.

Cars driving into dangerous situations inappropriately fast... Someone is blocking half the fast lane? (Waiting for insane u turn?) No problem i will just speed up and start pushing into the slow lane without signalling... Instead they should slow down and signal that they are going to left..

People speeding into red lights. Whenever light goes yellow they increase speed to try to make it before it goes red instead of slowing down and stopping. Cars, motorbikes everybody guilty.

Car drivers think they are driving a truck, again, those goddamn uturns, they think they drive a truck or something so they start turning left halfway into the fast lane before making the right u turn,,, dont know who or why they've been thaught like this, but it has to stop.

Minivan drivers, bus drivers, taxi drivers, etc, driving like absolute maniacs... I actually empathize with these poor fellas, their schedules are based on them speeding. Also they have to witness the horrible driving of the public all day everyday, i wouldnt last a week before going postal.

No god darn patience at all displayed by most,, is traffic going slow? Lets start changing lanes and tweaking and messing around so that it really crawls to a halt..dont let anyone in.. Entires exits or entrances are blocked forever because nobody lets each other in and because retards go in the wrong lane because they try to save 1 second.. 

No traffic police on the roads...

No checking car drivers on checkpoints.

No consequences for driving without a license (200 thb and allowed to keep driving Hahahahahavhshahahhahahahhaha)

i could probably go on.....

Had my daughter and boyfriend over to stay with us last week.He is a nice lad but a bit dopey , he was itching to take our honda scoopy out for a spin .So i gave him the lecture on country roads speed locals etc .He was forever getting lost but also seen by thai friends speeding along so much that one actually stopped to look , he hadnt met him at that time .When challenged on it , just got the denial shrug and laugh.Next day we all went ti Chum pae via the newish by pass to phu khiao there is a t-junction near to one end where a stop sign was there but has been removed? Anyway as we passed we saw a poor women on a motorcycle had her head crushed by an 18 wheeler seconds before we passed.We later learnt the father and 2yr old daughter survived.We were all shook up especially my daughter and dopey.

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

...When I was growing up, we took drivers education classes. They showed us these horrendous films, of semi trucks crashing into cars, and literally obliterating them, and everything inside. Also, they showed very graphic images of head on collisions. ...

When I was about 9 years old in Ohio (USA), Phyllis Vaughn up the street was a photographer for the Highway Safety Foundation fatality films.  I saw some later when I was taking driver ed.  Brutal. 

Signal 30 was the first, followed by  Carrier or Killer, Highways of Agony, Mechanized Death and Wheels of Tragedy.  Some are on Youtube.

As long as driving without license is 200THB we will know that government is not taking this issue seriously. They and their loved ones are pretty safe inside their expensive german cars, so why would they care.

Archived