Carnage on the Thai roads "even worse than you think" reports Thai media.

rooster59

8 minutes ago, David Walden said:
28 minutes ago, Keesters said:

A motorcycle is NOT more dangerous than any other vehicle. It is the riders who can be dangerous and the dangerous drivers of other vehicles who don't respect motorcycles.

Bullshit?

He's correct that the Ducati parked in your garage is no more dangerous than the Ford parked next to it.

Until you pull them out on the road.  

Then, it's 20-40 times as dangerous.

Fortunately, most people will drive the Ford a lot more than they'll ride the weekend Ducati.  Unless economics force them to do without the Ford at all.  Like here in Thailand.  And pretty much all of SEA.   Edit:  And the Ducati becomes a Scoopy.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

Do the extra tests only apply for farangs or for Thais Also? I welcome that if it is also for Thais because most will not pass it. I guess the extra test for them would be "  What does a stop sign mean"  1/ Keep driving dont stop 2/ Stop give way to all traffic 3/ Wow the stop sign looks great 4/ Red is my favourite colour

Most would answer  Keep driving dont stop  Pass

everyone

1 hour ago, Keesters said:

A motorcycle is NOT more dangerous than any other vehicle. It is the riders who can be dangerous and the dangerous drivers of other vehicles who don't respect motorcycles.

You actually contradict yourself, although in denial, you admit to the vulnerability if motorcycles. Motorcyclists are more likely to due by a factor if 10 or more when compared to car drivers...and that is in any country.....as ever apportionment blame is of little comfort when you are dead.

It is also somewhat distressing you read a post by a motorcycle owner who is so misinformed about this

11 hours ago, hobz said:

Im going to list everything that needs to be fixed. In no specific order.

Insane u-turns from fast lane to fast lane. Extremely dangerous for motorbikes that need to go from slow lane to fast lane and then u turn and go from fast lane to slow lane again.

Everybody driving like <deleted>. Motorbikes, cars, nobody is letting others in, people go crazy when you finally "cut them off" after having signalled for hours.... See also problem above with crazy u turns combined with that nobody lets u in...

Motorbikes driving between cars inappropriately fast.

Cars driving into dangerous situations inappropriately fast... Someone is blocking half the fast lane? (Waiting for insane u turn?) No problem i will just speed up and start pushing into the slow lane without signalling... Instead they should slow down and signal that they are going to left..

People speeding into red lights. Whenever light goes yellow they increase speed to try to make it before it goes red instead of slowing down and stopping. Cars, motorbikes everybody guilty.

Car drivers think they are driving a truck, again, those goddamn uturns, they think they drive a truck or something so they start turning left halfway into the fast lane before making the right u turn,,, dont know who or why they've been thaught like this, but it has to stop.

Minivan drivers, bus drivers, taxi drivers, etc, driving like absolute maniacs... I actually empathize with these poor fellas, their schedules are based on them speeding. Also they have to witness the horrible driving of the public all day everyday, i wouldnt last a week before going postal.

No god darn patience at all displayed by most,, is traffic going slow? Lets start changing lanes and tweaking and messing around so that it really crawls to a halt..dont let anyone in.. Entires exits or entrances are blocked forever because nobody lets each other in and because retards go in the wrong lane because they try to save 1 second.. 

No traffic police on the roads...

No checking car drivers on checkpoints.

No consequences for driving without a license (200 thb and allowed to keep driving Hahahahahavhshahahhahahahhaha)

i could probably go on.....

And HOBZ......a couple for you....
25.    I believe that I’m not contradicting myself when I post : - “i’m going to list everything” and then say “i could probably go on.....”
26.    I don’t believe that this post has virtually nothing to do with road safety but is merely a list of untutored observations and anecdotes that just show the underying erroneous belief that road safety and bad driving are the same thing.

21 hours ago, rooster59 said:

And that is bad enough with a big rise in fatalities in the first six months of this year compared to last year.

i believe the WHO Does attempt to include subsequent hospital deaths in their estimates; the rise , 25%, is a bit troubling; that is a Spike

I have my rules of the road in Thailand and i have never been involved in a serious accident after 14 years. I have been hit by these idiot Thai drivers, but I have never hit anyone. First, if you can, never drive at night especially on the major highways. Thai's drive even worse at night and that's when most fatalities happen, but not all. Also at night that's when the drinkers come out to drive and the vans and bus drivers decide to take a nap. That's in my car. On my motorcycle, I never drive over 40 KMPH. I never drive on a major highway. I normally drive within 5 km of my home. I watch everyone and pull over if I see an idiot driving like a nut case. Never been involved in a motori accident. So, Good Luck on the roads and always be aware of other drivers.

When I went for my Thai driving licence I was waiting to do my practical test, a girl in the queue before  took 23 attempts to reverse park and failed everytime, but they still passed her as fit to drive and gave her a licence, just one example of incompetent drivers on the road. Maybe all cars should be fitted with speed limiters, then they can't go more than 120kmh.  Maybe reducing the speed limit or have more radar highway patrol cars, instead of the then sitting on the side of the road while the traffic cop sleeps for his shift.

22 hours ago, Artisi said:

A little more complex than that, a curable problem but who cares - - and no need to worry, new trains, planes and submarines will sort it out pronto. 

Yup. And then people can die in greater numbers, all at once!  :sad:

11 hours ago, Daveyh said:

I can't see this carnage changing any time soon, if ever. Total lack of road sense. No idea whatsoever about highway codes etc etc. Total disregard for any signs, traffic lights & lets face it the BiB just can not control any of it. It's been part of their culture here for so long ..... it's become a way of life. Reversing out of concealed entrances onto major roads, reversing along a major highway. Driving againgst traffic & expect you to give way ....... the mind boggles. Creeping forward at junctions without right of way, causing traffic to slow & change lanes ..... ludicrous!  Driving here is dangerous & is certainly risky with this "me first" attitude. Thai's seem to always have the urge to overtake & must be "in front" ............ guess that's all about being first again. I think Thailand will definitely become No 1 in the not too distant future. Also, I think some of the expats too ignore the highway code & take advantage of the lack of road discipline here, because they can ...... sad really adopting the local habits.

Its really easy to change.. Price of getting a driver license should be increased to 10000 THB.

Violations means they take driver license.

Driving without driver license means they take vehicle and 6 months in jail.

Done.

10 hours ago, Blinky62 said:

How many foreigners drive like lunatics here because they think there are no rules . I think a lot are worse than the Thais . Drink driving , no helmet , wrong way up one way street , straight through red light. The list goes on . So many adapt to Thai rules . Do that at home . You don't last very long .

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yeah, tourist are the worst. Have no idea.

3 hours ago, impulse said:

What percentage of Aussies are compelled by economic conditions to ride 2 wheeled vehicles, which are 20-40 times as dangerous as 4 wheeled vehicles?

Partly true. Is it the 2 wheeled vehicles that are dangerous? A motorcycle ridden at low speed is safe, and vehicles driven similarly need not cause accidents.

Told my Thai wife about Thailand being #1 in driving fatalities,... and she said "Really?" I trained her well :), but more training is required I am afraid because she went straight back to her smartphone activities to manage her FB messages! LOL

Am I the only one who fears for his life whenever the wife engages to do a U-turn, inching her way in to get a better glimpse at the oncoming cars that seem to go faster and increase the frequency of the flashing of high beams as she misses, so far, the car?

Only slightly related, I just saw a B movie called Fire on the Amazon with a young and hot --and I guess fiery would be even more a propos, pun intended-- Sandra Bullock. It gives a glimpse on how corruption works, ... but the USA outsmarted them, outshot them, and escaped unscathed. Every nation saw this movie and made a replica, fed to the masses, who think corruption does not exist (as much) in their country. You can call me misanthropic.

2 hours ago, Teacherduck said:

When I went for my Thai driving licence I was waiting to do my practical test, a girl in the queue before  took 23 attempts to reverse park and failed everytime, but they still passed her as fit to drive and gave her a licence, just one example of incompetent drivers on the road. Maybe all cars should be fitted with speed limiters, then they can't go more than 120kmh.  Maybe reducing the speed limit or have more radar highway patrol cars, instead of the then sitting on the side of the road while the traffic cop sleeps for his shift.

120km/h should be reserved for a 5 lane straight road with no bumbs and no other cars within 100km radius. Jesus, whenever i get close to 110 i start shitting myself.. All it takes is 1 somchai deciding to cross all lanes at once with his motorbike and you have full carnage.

They should be set to 90km/h.

But what is missing is law enforcement. 

Should also increase fines 10x or 20x and make it 10x harder to get license (so that it has value and threat of losing it becomes serious)

3 minutes ago, hobz said:

120km/h should be reserved for a 5 lane straight road with no speed bumbs and no other cars within 100km radius. Jesus, whenever i get close to 110 i start shitting myself.. All it takes is 1 somchai deciding to cross all lanes at once with his motorbike and you have full carnage

Quite. 15kmph would be a better notch when applied to Thai drivers:smile:

Even then it probably wouldn't reduce the accident rate, but at least nobody would die.

18 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

As an experienced driver in Thailand, I certainly agree that it's not just the Thais who drive like idiots!

This is true. I think once foreigners arrive here, some of them leave their good habits, and careful approach to driving behind. It is said that environment is stronger than will power. I think some see the way the local drivers behave, realize their are no consequences (other than death and potential injury to themselves, their family, and the public who happen to be unfortunate enough to be within their vicinity during their mindlessness) of a legal nature, and just revert back to adolescence. 

14 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

When I was about 9 years old in Ohio (USA), Phyllis Vaughn up the street was a photographer for the Highway Safety Foundation fatality films.  I saw some later when I was taking driver ed.  Brutal. 

Signal 30 was the first, followed by  Carrier or Killer, Highways of Agony, Mechanized Death and Wheels of Tragedy.  Some are on Youtube.

I remember them quite vividly. I think many who drive here, just have no idea how dangerous driving is in general, much less on the Thai highways. The way I see motorbikes cutting in and out, weaving between cars, and going flat out at 120, with no helmets or protective gear, really makes me wonder how much they value life and limb. And the same goes for drivers of cars. Absolute mayhem. Tailgating five feet behind me, at 120 KPH. Zero law enforcement. No deterrent. An utter lack of consciousness or self preservation while on the road, seems to prevail here. A preponderance of really, really bad habits. A real recipe for disaster, which is exactly what they have. And do the officials care? Not one iota. 

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Partly true. Is it the 2 wheeled vehicles that are dangerous? A motorcycle ridden at low speed is safe, and vehicles driven similarly need not cause accidents.

What percentage of Aussies are compelled by economic conditions to ride 2 wheeled vehicles, which are 20-40 times as dangerous as 4 wheeled vehicles?

Me...never ridden a bike in Aus...never had a motor bike accident in Thailand ...driven trucks, school buses, taxis in Australia all over the country,...I had the privilege of being taught to drive from a man who was driving trainer for petrol tankers for the Shell Oil Company in Sydney 58 years ago.  His constant motto was "always make up your mind what you are going to do on the road before you do it, and never change you mind once committed".. I am now 75 y/o and never had an accident...each time since getting a licence a 17 y/o these words have always gone through my mind every time before driving off, ALWAYS EVERY TIME....I'LL SAY IT AGAIN  "always make up your mind what you are going to do on the road before you do it, and never change you mind once committed".

5 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

Do the extra tests only apply for farangs or for Thais Also? I welcome that if it is also for Thais because most will not pass it. I guess the extra test for them would be "  What does a stop sign mean"  1/ Keep driving dont stop 2/ Stop give way to all traffic 3/ Wow the stop sign looks great 4/ Red is my favourite colour

Most would answer  Keep driving dont stop  Pass

My thai driving teacher (yes, i learned to drive in thailand) got upset when i stopped at a stop sign and said that even though i should stop according to law.. That in thailand i should not stop or do so only if no vehicles behind or i would get rear ended.. I never stop now.. Same for unmonitored pedestrian crossings.. Not worth stopping... 

On 22/7/2560 at 11:36 AM, rooster59 said:

January 947 Averaging around 30/day
February 850 30/day
March 1,281 41/day
April 1,382 46/day
May 1,124 36/day
June 1,128 37/day.

AS soon as the Thais have those squiggles drawn in their cars and pick-ups they think they are absolved from driving properly.

4 hours ago, mommysboy said:

I disagree about motorbikes being safe even when driven slow.

How do you make a u-turn?

If you drive slowly you must be in the left lane, possible on the shoulder?

To make the u-turn u need to cross all lanes, including the fast lane, how do you do that safely? The safest way is to stop completely and wait, but sometimes there's not enough visibility to see a super fast car coming in the fast lane, making it unsafe...

4 hours ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

Told my Thai wife about Thailand being #1 in driving fatalities,... and she said "Really?" I trained her well :), but more training is required I am afraid because she went straight back to her smartphone activities to manage her FB messages! LOL

Am I the only one who fears for his life whenever the wife engages to do a U-turn, inching her way in to get a better glimpse at the oncoming cars that seem to go faster and increase the frequency of the flashing of high beams as she misses, so far, the car?

Only slightly related, I just saw a B movie called Fire on the Amazon with a young and hot --and I guess fiery would be even more a propos, pun intended-- Sandra Bullock. It gives a glimpse on how corruption works, ... but the USA outsmarted them, outshot them, and escaped unscathed. Every nation saw this movie and made a replica, fed to the masses, who think corruption does not exist (as much) in their country. You can call me misanthropic.

dont really want to call you anything; my wife's driving is the same, even driving drunk, my driving is better than hers; i am passenger only in the event that another, commonly bad thai driver hits us, then if she is driving , the end point becomes easier than if i am

Archived