Carnage on the Thai roads "even worse than you think" reports Thai media.

rooster59

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, hobz said:

I disagree about motorbikes being safe even when driven slow.

How do you make a u-turn?

If you drive slowly you must be in the left lane, possible on the shoulder?

To make the u-turn u need to cross all lanes, including the fast lane, how do you do that safely? The safest way is to stop completely and wait, but sometimes there's not enough visibility to see a super fast car coming in the fast lane, making it unsafe...

No. I guess motorbikes are not safe.  What I mean is that they are not so dangerous for scooting around provided one is vigilant and rides slowly.  I would not like to use one on fast highways, because then you rteally have to ride fast and that makes you dependent on everyone else around you; no way!

3 minutes ago, tominbkk said:

What % are from motorcycles? Must be at least 85%. I don't have sympathy for them.

Not even if it is a car that drives in to them?

Riding a motorcycle is an economic necessity for many.

See your point though.

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And why are these drivers speeding in the first place, allowing so many accidents to happen? The primary reason is the toy police force. Nobody, and I mean nobody takes these guys seriously. There is absolutely nothing in the way of a deterrent here, and both the local governments, the central government, and the police do not take traffic safety seriously. Not even one iota. The safety of the public means less than zero to the small men in charge here. Nothing. They show that on a daily basis.

When I was growing up, we took drivers education classes. They showed us these horrendous films, of semi trucks crashing into cars, and literally obliterating them, and everything inside. Also, they showed very graphic images of head on collisions. Even as a young kid, it left a lasting impression, and I realized driving was no joking matter. Especially when you have your friends, or loved ones in the car with you. I am constantly astonished at the kinds of chances people take here, with their entire family in the car with them. Why? What is the logic? What is the reason? Why take those risks? Often, when someone cuts onto the highway in front of me, as I am doing 100kpm or more on the highway, I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me for quite some distance. Which means, had they paused, and waited 2 or 3 seconds, there would have been zero risk to them, their family, or me and my family. What can one even say? All of this matters even more when driving a motorbike, where there is no protection. 

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law. 

Now for my scooter rant:

Many of us drive motorcycles or scooters here, and it is dangerous getting on the roads with some of these other drivers. 

Getting on a scooter, or a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand, much less Phuket, Phangan, Dark Tao, or Samui without a very good helmet, is like playing Russian Roulette with three or four bullets in the chamber. It is absolutely asking for problems. The degree of recklessness here is astounding. And many foreigners come here thinking "how much trouble could I get in on a little scooter, on a tropical island"? Well, the answer is alot. The amount of foreigners who are killed on the Southern islands is staggering. Most are not reported in the media. I had a friend who worked for Samui rescue for many years, and said the numbers were about 30-60 a month, on Samui, Phangan and Koh Tao. The official number is about 3 a month. Rider beware. Use as good a helmet as you can afford, and do not use these eggshells pieces of crap. They crack at the first impact, and what lies underneath them? Your skull, which is very delicate. 

Just ask yourself- do I have enough problems already, without a broken skull, or smashed head, or face injury, or lost eye? I have two friends who have been in motorbike accidents on Samui within the last two years. One still cannot walk, or talk or function on her own, from a motorbike accident, where she hit her head on the pavement going only 20 kph. The other one has lost alot of his mental capacity after hitting his head. He insisted for years he would never wear a helmet. Now, he seems 15 years older. 

I was told by a very reliable source. He did not have an agenda. He rescued alot of the survivors. He attended to alot of the ones who did not make it. The press here is highly censored. The report only what the so called leaders want them to report. Nothing else. Social media? Why would social media report these statistics? They report individual accidents, but not overall statistics. Anything you read about accidents on Samui in the media would be false. 

• Road deaths are now calculated based on fatalities on-site. Victims dying later in hospital not counted.
  • In 2000 there was an average of 30 deaths a month on Koh Samui (official figures released each month).
  • Now it is stated that Koh Samui has 3-5 deaths each month (using the new way of reporting road deaths).
  • In the last ten years the population has almost doubled and there are now 5x more vehicles on Koh Samui.
  • Based on ‘official figures’ today it is possible to estimate that Koh Samui currently has 60 deaths per million per year. (Compared to 23 in London.) Based on the population and traffic density statistics from 10 years ago Koh Samui has in reality 720 deaths per million per year. This is probably the highest rate of road deaths in the world. Samui is a fatality death spot that nobody is willing to acknowledge!
  • What is the #1 highest fatality country? Libya? Want to guess how many of those road deaths are due to IED's, or someone being shot? If there was not a war going on in Libya, Thailand would surely have the well deserved #1 spot. There is never a time I am on the highway, that I do not see some brainless numskull driving so carelessly, that it boggles the mind. In the US, he would have his car confiscated, his license suspended, and be fined thousands of dollars for such behavior, within 10 minutes. Here? Nothing. I have never once heard of someone being cited for reckless driving. Not once.

If/when a Thai has an accident they will invariably say the cause was "bad luck." I'm serious.... sounds laughable to me but not to Thais.

5 hours ago, hobz said:

My thai driving teacher (yes, i learned to drive in thailand) got upset when i stopped at a stop sign and said that even though i should stop according to law.. That in thailand i should not stop or do so only if no vehicles behind or i would get rear ended.. I never stop now.. Same for unmonitored pedestrian crossings.. Not worth stopping... 

Yep this might as well pull down the stop signs Nobody obeys them

On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 8:39 PM, Thaimike370 said:

While waiting in my car 10 minutes for a shop to open I counted 43 people on motor bikes driving with no crash helmets, plus 5 driving on the wrong side of the road.  Just a suggestion, a 500 baht fine for a 1st offence, a 1000 baht fine for a 2nd offence, a years driving ban for a 3rd offence.  If you are caught driving while banned, automatic confiscation of your vehicle.  Sounds harsh but would certainly help cut the road deaths down.

Did you see any actual accidents at that time?  Forget trying to apply logic from the west. It is what it is.

On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 8:42 PM, phetpeter said:

Strange place, Thai's are now able to get the hands on some of the newest, advanced trucks and cars on the roads today, and don't get me started on the big bikes. 0-60 in the blink of an eye! I sat on the right turn filter today, and 2 ton pick-ups where flying past me on an 80kph road rocking my car. and so close together that my little MGGS felt like It was at sea! The white spay man must be making a huge profit from the police has this 10 kilometer stretch of highway in Phetchabun looks like an art gallery of motorcycle and car and pickup symbol's Plus my wife thinks all them reg numbers next to them are lotto numbers. The law should have put a law in place to make the manufacturers lock down the speeds these vehicle's can do. because Thai eyes cannot focus very well over 90kph, and their brake foot cannot move very well over 80kph. as for direction control and lane observation plus turning corners seem to have a big problem over 10kph. and that's just the vehicles with 4 wheels!

Rowlocks...my lady wife sold new Toyotas.

Part of the deal was you had to know are you are selling.

She was required, by Toyota, to drive the Fortuners down the old airstrip in Surin absolutely flat out....all 45 kg of her in a 2 ton truck.

Nothing wrong with her eyesight ...except when she saw me. Apparently Thais can't see fatness or lack of hair very well 

Fortunately I suffer from neither of these afflictions.

On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 9:09 PM, spidermike007 said:

And why are these drivers speeding in the first place, allowing so many accidents to happen? The primary reason is the toy police force. Nobody, and I mean nobody takes these guys seriously. There is absolutely nothing in the way of a deterrent here, and both the local governments, the central government, and the police do not take traffic safety seriously. Not even one iota. The safety of the public means less than zero to the small men in charge here. Nothing. They show that on a daily basis.

When I was growing up, we took drivers education classes. They showed us these horrendous films, of semi trucks crashing into cars, and literally obliterating them, and everything inside. Also, they showed very graphic images of head on collisions. Even as a young kid, it left a lasting impression, and I realized driving was no joking matter. Especially when you have your friends, or loved ones in the car with you. I am constantly astonished at the kinds of chances people take here, with their entire family in the car with them. Why? What is the logic? What is the reason? Why take those risks? Often, when someone cuts onto the highway in front of me, as I am doing 100kpm or more on the highway, I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me for quite some distance. Which means, had they paused, and waited 2 or 3 seconds, there would have been zero risk to them, their family, or me and my family. What can one even say? All of this matters even more when driving a motorbike, where there is no protection. 

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law. 

Now for my scooter rant:

Many of us drive motorcycles or scooters here, and it is dangerous getting on the roads with some of these other drivers. 

Getting on a scooter, or a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand, much less Phuket, Phangan, Dark Tao, or Samui without a very good helmet, is like playing Russian Roulette with three or four bullets in the chamber. It is absolutely asking for problems. The degree of recklessness here is astounding. And many foreigners come here thinking "how much trouble could I get in on a little scooter, on a tropical island"? Well, the answer is alot. The amount of foreigners who are killed on the Southern islands is staggering. Most are not reported in the media. I had a friend who worked for Samui rescue for many years, and said the numbers were about 30-60 a month, on Samui, Phangan and Koh Tao. The official number is about 3 a month. Rider beware. Use as good a helmet as you can afford, and do not use these eggshells pieces of crap. They crack at the first impact, and what lies underneath them? Your skull, which is very delicate. 

Just ask yourself- do I have enough problems already, without a broken skull, or smashed head, or face injury, or lost eye? I have two friends who have been in motorbike accidents on Samui within the last two years. One still cannot walk, or talk or function on her own, from a motorbike accident, where she hit her head on the pavement going only 20 kph. The other one has lost alot of his mental capacity after hitting his head. He insisted for years he would never wear a helmet. Now, he seems 15 years older. 

I was told by a very reliable source. He did not have an agenda. He rescued alot of the survivors. He attended to alot of the ones who did not make it. The press here is highly censored. The report only what the so called leaders want them to report. Nothing else. Social media? Why would social media report these statistics? They report individual accidents, but not overall statistics. Anything you read about accidents on Samui in the media would be false. 

• Road deaths are now calculated based on fatalities on-site. Victims dying later in hospital not counted.
  • In 2000 there was an average of 30 deaths a month on Koh Samui (official figures released each month).
  • Now it is stated that Koh Samui has 3-5 deaths each month (using the new way of reporting road deaths).
  • In the last ten years the population has almost doubled and there are now 5x more vehicles on Koh Samui.
  • Based on ‘official figures’ today it is possible to estimate that Koh Samui currently has 60 deaths per million per year. (Compared to 23 in London.) Based on the population and traffic density statistics from 10 years ago Koh Samui has in reality 720 deaths per million per year. This is probably the highest rate of road deaths in the world. Samui is a fatality death spot that nobody is willing to acknowledge!
  • What is the #1 highest fatality country? Libya? Want to guess how many of those road deaths are due to IED's, or someone being shot? If there was not a war going on in Libya, Thailand would surely have the well deserved #1 spot. There is never a time I am on the highway, that I do not see some brainless numskull driving so carelessly, that it boggles the mind. In the US, he would have his car confiscated, his license suspended, and be fined thousands of dollars for such behavior, within 10 minutes. Here? Nothing. I have never once heard of someone being cited for reckless driving. Not once.

Perhaps Thailand is not for you?

On 22/7/2560 at 11:36 AM, rooster59 said:

In the first six months of this year 6,712 people died at the scene of accidents nationwide. This compared to 5,308 in the same period in 2016.

That is 25% more deaths year on year.

The stats show that at this rate there will no-one left to drive or ride a bike in Thailand in 35 years time.

These figures show a trend in a certain direction; that's all. If the stats show that deaths are decreasing the Junta will probably claim credit.

It will soon normalise I'm sure. Perhaps the second half of this year.

On 7/22/2017 at 5:39 PM, Thaimike370 said:

While waiting in my car 10 minutes for a shop to open I counted 43 people on motor bikes driving with no crash helmets, plus 5 driving on the wrong side of the road.  Just a suggestion, a 500 baht fine for a 1st offence, a 1000 baht fine for a 2nd offence, a years driving ban for a 3rd offence.  If you are caught driving while banned, automatic confiscation of your vehicle.  Sounds harsh but would certainly help cut the road deaths down.

Yes this might work unless the money goes ...well you know...and the offense never recorded.  Higher fines just offer up greater income opportunities for the police and under the current system will do no more.

21 hours ago, jimstar1 said:

They do not want to be No 1 so they fix the reports simple this is Thailand the land of Smiles :stoner:

I think they do want to be #1 but tallying up deaths after accidents is to taxing on the brain. 

A lot of these accidents could have been avoided by safer driving ,  and learning how to behave in the traffic,

I call it natural selection.

On 7/22/2017 at 7:05 PM, sawadee1947 said:

If the General would use section 44 and start with law enforcement (road safety, helmets, and, and, and) the death rate on roads could  easily be reduced

Agreed. But there would be such an outcry that the entire country would shudder. Thais need corruption; have no interest in rule of law. IMO. They feel it's their "right" to drive on the road with or without a legal operators licence. Why? Because they are "free men."

7 hours ago, selftaopath said:

Agreed. But there would be such an outcry that the entire country would shudder. Thais need corruption; have no interest in rule of law. IMO. They feel it's their "right" to drive on the road with or without a legal operators licence. Why? Because they are "free men."

It might be a long way for improvements. But therefore start with a first step.

19 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Perhaps Thailand is not for you?

Very lame. Nearly every time I see someone complaining, or observing a shortfall within Thailand, some lame guy, who has not taken the time to think things through, nor to devote any focus or effort to a reasonable reply, says something like "Perhaps Thailand is not for you", or maybe you should leave, or the top prize, "if you do not like it here, go back to your own country". Hard to even respond to such inane statements. Why? Because I have some issues with the place? Sorry to inform you, but the nature of a discerning mind, is to have issues. Though absolutely contentment must be a beautiful state of mind, it is not something most of us are blessed with, in case you have not noticed. The fact that I complain, does not mean I do not love Thailand, nor most of it's people. I do. I love my life here. I have a very good life here. But, I do have some complaints, and there are some things I would love to see improved. I should leave because of that? Please. Next time you make a post, try to devote at least two moments of thought to it. 

22 hours ago, tominbkk said:

What % are from motorcycles? Must be at least 85%. I don't have sympathy for them.

A high percentage of people here who drive motorbikes do not have a choice. They might be able to afford 20,000 for a used bike, or even 50,000 for a new one, but there is a zero percent chance most of them could afford even 300,000 for a decent used car. So, you do not have any sympathy for them, due to the fact that they have a lower station in life than you do? Is that what this comes down to? Not sure how to respond to your attitude toward the local people, and their economic plight.

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

A high percentage of people here who drive motorbikes do not have a choice. They might be able to afford 20,000 for a used bike, or even 50,000 for a new one, but there is a zero percent chance most of them could afford even 300,000 for a decent used car. So, you do not have any sympathy for them, due to the fact that they have a lower station in life than you do? Is that what this comes down to? Not sure how to respond to your attitude toward the local people, and their economic plight.

I understand and agree with the financial situation, but you need to help yourself when out and about on the open road

Self preservation should be their first concern and thats not just those on two wheels

Just now, oldlakey said:

I understand and agree with the financial situation, but you need to help yourself when out and about on the open road

Self preservation should be their first concern and thats not just those on two wheels

It is impossible to argue with what you just said. Of course it is true. But unfortunately, so many I see on the roads barely ever seem to consider that. And they do not seem to consider the safety of their family, nor the other guy on the road either. I see so many motorbikes cutting in front of me, or driving across the entire highway, without so much as a glance in my direction. Can you even fathom the possibility of crossing a major highway, where vehicles are traveling 120kph, on a motorbike, or in a car, and not looking in the direction of traffic? It boggles the mind. 

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It is impossible to argue with what you just said. Of course it is true. But unfortunately, so many I see on the roads barely ever seem to consider that. And they do not seem to consider the safety of their family, nor the other guy on the road either. I see so many motorbikes cutting in front of me, or driving across the entire highway, without so much as a glance in my direction. Can you even fathom the possibility of crossing a major highway, where vehicles are traveling 120kph, on a motorbike, or in a car, and not looking in the direction of traffic? It boggles the mind. 

Yes no disagreement, mine was just a general view of how I view the sad situation on Thailands roads

Two wheels will normally come off worst than four plus

A change in the general mind set is needed, but when most others do it you can see the temptation to follow suit

This is my perception of the prevailing sentiments amongst expats on road safety in Thailand........

I would have thought that In order to solve the problem, you have to identify it first.........it doesn’t seem to be the case, rather  a catalogue of presumptions

“It seems most topics about Road safety in Thailand degenerate into a litany of anecdotal reminiscences about crashes and supposed single-issue solutions and blatant attacks on Thai natives’ driving.

There seems to a predictable series of arguments that surface every time - they are way off the mark and profoundly ill-informed. As they do nothing to advance the state of road safety in Thailand, I’ve decided to post this as a charter for the expats in Thailand; a list of reasons they believe makes them experts on road safety......

It seems people’s contentions that they are an expert on road safety stem from some or all of the following beliefs........

1.     I’m an above average driver

2.     I have driven a car

3.     I’ve driven a truck

4.     I’m a SUPERB driver

5.     I’ve never had an accident

6.     I’ve never had an accident that was my fault

7.     I drive exactly as I do “back home” and anyone who doesn’t is an idiot.

8.     I’ve driven in Thailand

9.     I’ve seen an accident.

10. I don’t believe there is a difference between driving and road safety

11. I believe that by describing incidents I’ve seen, it will contribute to road safety and don’t believe I’m just indulging in confirmation bias.

12. I believe the plural of anecdote is data.

13. I believe I understand how people SHOULD drive.

14. I believe I understand the culture of driving in Thailand.

15. I’m totally convinced that OTHERS drive in a more risky manner than I do.

16. I believe as a “Westerner” I’m a vastly superior driver to “Thais” (all Asians people, really)

17. I believe all Thai people are inherently pre-disposed to be bad drivers.

18. I believe that road safety will be solved by addressing a single issue; I usually choose one of the following...

·      Speeding

·      “Bad driving” - i.e. all other drivers apart from “myself” are idiots.

·      Drunk driving

·      Police corruption

·      Driving licences

·      Driver Training

·      Increasing fines

·      More than 2 on a motorcycle

·      U-turns

·      Failure to observe my highway code

·      Cell-phones - (No, not that, I do that)

19. I’ve listed more than one single issue and so I believe that I’ve covered everything.

20. I believe it is important to blame an individual and that blame is always best when it’s 100% due to one person and by apportioning it thus the roads will become safer..

21. I’m NEVER to blame.

22. I believe dash-cams provide irrefutable evidence of this

23. I believe that choosing one set of statistics drawn from thousands proves my own prejudged ill-conceived convictions about road safety

24. I’m unaware of the process of compiling statistics for road safety and don’t realise that deaths per 100k is just one way out of many of assessing the situation

25. I believe I understand statistics as “facts”

26. I regularly disobey Thai driving laws

·      Because as a good driver I don’t need to bother with them

·      I don’t actually know what they are

·      The laws in my home country are better.

27. I believe that anybody driving slower than me is an idiot, and anyone going faster than me is a maniac.

28. Finally, I believe that these conclusions from science-based research are irrelevant to me......

I don’t believe I am dangerous on the roads but at the same time fervently believe others are.

·      I am not likely to be responsible for an accident; others are likely to be responsible. Therefore little I can do.

·      Hence, less likely to need to “plan to avoid them”

·      Campaigns aimed at dangerous driving are for “other” drivers not themselves.

·      Such campaigns re-emphasise this difference (2CV, 2008 and Flaming Research, 2008)

·      The third-person effect (Davison, 1983).

·      High support for enforcement, engineering solutions and education

·      But not for themselves - for other people”

52 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

This is my perception of the prevailing sentiments amongst expats on road safety in Thailand........

I would have thought that In order to solve the problem, you have to identify it first.........it doesn’t seem to be the case, rather  a catalogue of presumptions

“It seems most topics about Road safety in Thailand degenerate into a litany of anecdotal reminiscences about crashes and supposed single-issue solutions and blatant attacks on Thai natives’ driving.

There seems to a predictable series of arguments that surface every time - they are way off the mark and profoundly ill-informed. As they do nothing to advance the state of road safety in Thailand, I’ve decided to post this as a charter for the expats in Thailand; a list of reasons they believe makes them experts on road safety......

It seems people’s contentions that they are an expert on road safety stem from some or all of the following beliefs........

1.     I’m an above average driver

2.     I have driven a car

3.     I’ve driven a truck

4.     I’m a SUPERB driver

5.     I’ve never had an accident

6.     I’ve never had an accident that was my fault

7.     I drive exactly as I do “back home” and anyone who doesn’t is an idiot.

8.     I’ve driven in Thailand

9.     I’ve seen an accident.

10. I don’t believe there is a difference between driving and road safety

11. I believe that by describing incidents I’ve seen, it will contribute to road safety and don’t believe I’m just indulging in confirmation bias.

12. I believe the plural of anecdote is data.

13. I believe I understand how people SHOULD drive.

14. I believe I understand the culture of driving in Thailand.

15. I’m totally convinced that OTHERS drive in a more risky manner than I do.

16. I believe as a “Westerner” I’m a vastly superior driver to “Thais” (all Asians people, really)

17. I believe all Thai people are inherently pre-disposed to be bad drivers.

18. I believe that road safety will be solved by addressing a single issue; I usually choose one of the following...

·      Speeding

·      “Bad driving” - i.e. all other drivers apart from “myself” are idiots.

·      Drunk driving

·      Police corruption

·      Driving licences

·      Driver Training

·      Increasing fines

·      More than 2 on a motorcycle

·      U-turns

·      Failure to observe my highway code

·      Cell-phones - (No, not that, I do that)

19. I’ve listed more than one single issue and so I believe that I’ve covered everything.

20. I believe it is important to blame an individual and that blame is always best when it’s 100% due to one person and by apportioning it thus the roads will become safer..

21. I’m NEVER to blame.

22. I believe dash-cams provide irrefutable evidence of this

23. I believe that choosing one set of statistics drawn from thousands proves my own prejudged ill-conceived convictions about road safety

24. I’m unaware of the process of compiling statistics for road safety and don’t realise that deaths per 100k is just one way out of many of assessing the situation

25. I believe I understand statistics as “facts”

26. I regularly disobey Thai driving laws

·      Because as a good driver I don’t need to bother with them

·      I don’t actually know what they are

·      The laws in my home country are better.

27. I believe that anybody driving slower than me is an idiot, and anyone going faster than me is a maniac.

28. Finally, I believe that these conclusions from science-based research are irrelevant to me......

I don’t believe I am dangerous on the roads but at the same time fervently believe others are.

·      I am not likely to be responsible for an accident; others are likely to be responsible. Therefore little I can do.

·      Hence, less likely to need to “plan to avoid them”

·      Campaigns aimed at dangerous driving are for “other” drivers not themselves.

·      Such campaigns re-emphasise this difference (2CV, 2008 and Flaming Research, 2008)

·      The third-person effect (Davison, 1983).

·      High support for enforcement, engineering solutions and education

·      But not for themselves - for other people”

I cant see it changing much, the situation on Thailands roads that is until somebody else does something about it

Nudge Nudge Wink Wink you know what I mean mate

if you have ever been to mochit bus terminal and seen the HUGE number of minivans arriving ,parked and departing, They are essential and keep this country connected,some drivers are great and some are wreckless...its the lottery of the thai hiways...ROLL THE DICE

Archived