Best area to live in Chanthaburi ?

bibilaurens

Hi,

We are thinking about moving to eastern part. Could you tell me which is the best area to live in Chanthaburi ? We want to rent a house for long term and avoid the traffic jam, the pollution and flooding but not be very far (less than 15km) from the school in downtown.

Every advises will be so much appreciated  !

Thanks

Try to visit Hat Chao Lao beach rent a cheap room or Luxury Resort for a few days. Located at 25 kms from Chanthaburi (Tesco, BC extra, Home-pro, Makro, Bangkok hospital, Dental Clinics, schools and a beautiful and quite beach named HAT CHAO LAO BEACH. Google it !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Sorry I mean quiet no quite

I saw last day a new nice house for long term rental to 200 meters from the beach in a Quiet place.
The price 10.000thb/month

14 hours ago, Tarteso said:

I saw last day a new nice house for long term rental to 200 meters from the beach in a Quiet place.

I'm interested to know more about Chanthaburi too, what about the northern part of Chanthaburi, is there any nice place to stay please ?

14 hours ago, Tarteso said:

Thanks Tarteso, how many bedrooms do think about ? I will take a look :)

I'm interested to know more about Chanthaburi too, what about the northern part of Chanthaburi, is there any nice place to stay please ?

North Chantha is pretty nice place, too much nature, natural park, waterfalls, with curious festival flowers.

Wiki talk better than me about north, whatever I prefer the beach.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chanthaburi_Province

Thanks Tarteso, how many bedrooms do think about ? I will take a look :)

I think 2 bedrooms. Now I am in Koh Chang but come back next week to Hat chao Lao and send to you number of contact, you'll can contact directly with the owner. It's a really nice house.

6 hours ago, Tarteso said:

I think 2 bedrooms. Now I am in Koh Chang but come back next week to Hat chao Lao and send to you number of contact, you'll can contact directly with the owner. It's a really nice house.

Thanks, i very appreciated your help, have a good trip in KC !

• 5 weeks later...

Are you looking Chan province, or the actual city?

We moved here March 2011, at that time we stayed at a resort and spent every day 'on the streets'  in Tha Mai area (halfway between Chan city and Chao Lao, approx 15km each way), searching for houses with to rent signs, asking people at food stalls, shops, even the barber ... paid off, given contact info for an unadvertised house, new/never been rented they were in no hurry, waiting on the right tenants (us!) and rented there for two years. 

Don't think it's any easier now. No real estate rental agencies. On rare occasions one may come up on bahtsold but I think that due to demand, no need to advertise and rely on word of mouth, especially when it comes to stand-alone houses, owners can have a wait-list

A matter of not giving up on the searching, asking/telling people what you're looking for

Good luck

4 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

Are you looking Chan province, or the actual city?

We moved here March 2011, at that time we stayed at a resort and spent every day 'on the streets'  in Tha Mai area (halfway between Chan city and Chao Lao, approx 15km each way), searching for houses with to rent signs, asking people at food stalls, shops, even the barber ... paid off, given contact info for an unadvertised house, new/never been rented they were in no hurry, waiting on the right tenants (us!) and rented there for two years. 

Don't think it's any easier now. No real estate rental agencies. On rare occasions one may come up on bahtsold but I think that due to demand, no need to advertise and rely on word of mouth, especially when it comes to stand-alone houses, owners can have a wait-list

A matter of not giving up on the searching, asking/telling people what you're looking for

Good luck

Hi mate, thanks for your answer, i'm looking for a house in a town or around but not very far because my kids will go to school to downtown. Yes trully i need to take a look there because there isn't any offer on english or thai website. Cheers.

^ have you spent much time in Chanthaburi?

I find the city very unappealing, there about 4 hours today and always pleased to leave, messy layout, difficult to get across quickly - Saturday traffic on a wet day is a nightmare in what is just an oversize town. The recent (several times most years) floods highlight why living there can be an  'adventure' of sorts ... rainfall increases hugely from coast-inland, the city and towards Makham get a lot more than along the coast.

Check any potential rental for a watermark!

Having been looking at Chan myself. Have the chance of getting a rai about 10 minutes out side the city to build on. What appeals its seems to have BKK only 3 hours Pattaya 1.5 hour and islands beaches and plus Cambodia border a short spin away. But won't be able to see the land till early next year.

57 minutes ago, blowin said:

Having been looking at Chan myself. Have the chance of getting a rai about 10 minutes out side the city to build on. What appeals its seems to have BKK only 3 hours Pattaya 1.5 hour and islands beaches and plus Cambodia border a short spin away. But won't be able to see the land till early next year.

Wrong. BKK 4 hours at least, Pattaya 2 hours at least, but driving in day time you will need 1 hour more for each.

Chanthaburi is one of the richer areas in Thailand - fruit growing (incl durian), gem trade, a well known buddhist attraction park.

Very few farangs, therefore no European restaurants, limited European food selection in Macro etc, and mostly genuine people that do not rip you off, and no visible sex industry.

Lots of cheap seafood and small markets everywhere.

Only way to find a rental house is to look and ask around.

The immigration office in town is helpfull.

Very quiet, for some probably too quiet.

Some areas have regular floodings, but nothing dramatic.

Limited public transport.

As another poster said, Tha Mai is a nice small town, halfway between Chanthaburi city and Chao Lao beach.

We rented an appartment for 2 years, just outside Chanthaburi city.

We concidered moving to Tha Mai, but finally built a house on wifes land near Kitchakut, 25km inland from the city. Been living there for 7 years now.

We tried BKK (Onnut) and Bang Saen, now would not want to live anywhere else.

The public transport options from Chan city - if you are ok with buses - are good.

The government bus service from the Chan city bus station (214 baht) takes 3 hours 15 minutes to the station near Suvarnabhumi and free 10 minutes shuttle bus from there to airport, also bus option from there direct to Don Mueang

On Wednesday I returned from Singapore, taxi took 35 minutes from Suvarnabhumi to Ekamai bus station, Cherdchai bus (one leaves every hour, 180 baht) departed 12.30pm and I arrived at Noen Sung, 10 min from Chanthaburi 4.55pm, just a few minutes ahead of schedule, 3.5 hours. No VIP-style buses, but for a short trip like this it's ok for me.

There are also minivan options but I prefer the bus. Even this time of year, bus was full, going Ekamai to Trat/Koh Chang, a few overseas tourists on board.

Also good bus services from Chan heading north, we were in Sa Kaeo till 2011 and still head that way on occasion.

1 minute ago, gomangosteen said:

The public transport options from Chan city - if you are ok with buses - are good.

The government bus service from the Chan city bus station (214 baht) takes 3 hours 15 minutes to the station near Suvarnabhumi and free 10 minutes shuttle bus from there to airport, also bus option from there direct to Don Mueang

On Wednesday I returned from Singapore, taxi took 35 minutes from Suvarnabhumi to Ekamai bus station, Cherdchai bus (one leaves every hour, 180 baht) departed 12.30pm and I arrived at Noen Sung, 10 min from Chanthaburi 4.55pm, just a few minutes ahead of schedule. 

There are also minivan options but I prefer the bus. Even this time of year, bus was full, going Ekamai to Trat/Koh Chang, a few overseas tourists on board.

Yes, we have been on that Bangkok - Chanthaburi - Trat bus many times.

A very good connection. We too are not keen on the minivans.

But not much local public transport, no?

However taxis (pick up with a roof) are cheap and we found a gem of a taxi driver, we have been using his service for 9 years now.

6+ years of photos here, inspiration and motivation perhaps for someone to see what the province has to offer, as oldhippy says, not for everyone but we're very happy here; we moved here 2011 due to my partner's employment, intended it to be for two years but no plans to move again, great family area and have made good friends.

Oldhippy - Khitchakut, nice area, I cycle out fairly near there often - a 50+km loop from home, Tha Mai, around Wat Khao Sukim, and we've visited your National Park and great waterfalls. Great lifestyle area.

At times I have to 'phone a friend' the road  signs often in Thai script only... fantastic cycling region

tumblr_om88d6rBQM1r8w5s5o1_500.jpg  tumblr_om88d6rBQM1r8w5s5o2_500.jpg

11 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

6+ years of photos here, inspiration and motivation perhaps for someone to see what the province has to offer, as oldhippy says, not for everyone but we're very happy here; we moved here 2011 due to my partner's employment, intended it to be for two years but no plans to move again, great family area and have made good friends.

Oldhippy - Khitchakut, nice area, I cycle out fairly near there often - a 50+km loop from home, Tha Mai, around Wat Khao Sukim, and we've visited your National Park and great waterfalls. Great lifestyle area.

At times I have to 'phone a friend' the road  signs often in Thai script only... fantastic cycling region

tumblr_om88d6rBQM1r8w5s5o1_500.jpg  tumblr_om88d6rBQM1r8w5s5o2_500.jpg

Wooow very nice pics in your link!

Just back from 1 week at Chao Lao, we stayed in a bungalow next to Tosang Beach Hotel.

In Chanthaburi city the KP Grand hotel is not to be missed - a well kept relic from the old days. Evening cocktails are at the 17th floor (realy the 16th floor, but floor 13 is missing 555).

Pics: shells at Chao Lao, last durian of the year, sunset

P1260862.JPG

P1260846.JPG

P1260932.JPG

Chanthaburi is one of the richer areas in Thailand - fruit growing (incl durian), gem trade, a well known buddhist attraction park.

Very few farangs, therefore no European restaurants, limited European food selection in Macro etc, and mostly genuine people that do not rip you off, and no visible sex industry.
Lots of cheap seafood and small markets everywhere.
Only way to find a rental house is to look and ask around.
The immigration office in town is helpfull.
Very quiet, for some probably too quiet.
Some areas have regular floodings, but nothing dramatic.
Limited public transport.

As another poster said, Tha Mai is a nice small town, halfway between Chanthaburi city and Chao Lao beach.

We rented an appartment for 2 years, just outside Chanthaburi city.
We concidered moving to Tha Mai, but finally built a house on wifes land near Kitchakut, 25km inland from the city. Been living there for 7 years now.
We tried BKK (Onnut) and Bang Saen, now would not want to live anywhere else.

I was living 2 years in Hat Chao Lao and agree with you. It's a quiet place, cheap fresh seafood and fruits, nice coast for diving and not for night life. Having a car and bike, made us easy the life these years.

Good experience.

If you're after one of the best restaurants in town then drive past robinsons over the little bridge and just next to the markets is one called 'Chanthorn restaurant'. This place has quality food and a gift shop attached. 

If your after western food you will have to go to any of the resorts on Chao Loa beach. 

cheers

I don't know much about Chantha, sure you can find places for kids, but I can talk about Hat Chao Lao, is a little Town (for thais). I mean, not too much "Falangs" living here. Activities for children? The beach !. And some resorts have swimming pools. Pretty sure, the children have sports activities in school.

In Hat Chao Lao, also Burapa Chanthaburi University have a public Gym, olympic pool, Basquet ball... go and check it. 3kms. From the beach.

Google map

สระว่ายน้ำ มหาวิทยาลัยบูรพาจันทบุรี
Khamong, Tha Mai District, Chanthaburi 22170
https://goo.gl/maps/vbqUs1NgDDy

good luck!

On 8/28/2017 at 1:27 PM, davidst01 said:

If you're after one of the best restaurants in town then drive past robinsons over the little bridge and just next to the markets is one called 'Chanthorn restaurant'. This place has quality food and a gift shop attached. 

If your after western food you will have to go to any of the resorts on Chao Loa beach. 

cheers

We've been to the chanthorn restaurant. You can tell the city has some money when you see the clientele in there. When we were there, the next table had a group of old guys wearing smart / stylish designer shirts. It looked like the siam paragon crowd were having dinner that night. You don't want to rock up looking like you just arrived from pattaya wearing shorts and thongs... 

1 minute ago, ghworker2010 said:

We've been to the chanthorn restaurant. You can tell the city has some money when you see the clientele in there. When we were there, the next table had a group of old guys wearing smart / stylish designer shirts. It looked like the siam paragon crowd were having dinner that night. You don't want to rock up looking like you just arrived from pattaya wearing shorts and thongs... 

We have been there too.

Overpriced and posh would be an understatement.

Our personal favourite in the center is the "49 Restaurant" - very Thai, large choice, a step up from streetfood, great place to sit and look around. (behind Robinsons)

8 hours ago, oldhippy said:

We have been there too.

Overpriced and posh would be an understatement.

Our personal favourite in the center is the "49 Restaurant" - very Thai, large choice, a step up from streetfood, great place to sit and look around. (behind Robinsons)

Cheapest in town for the cheapest cheap charlies, yes I agree !

Some great pictures on here, thanks guys, I love Chanthaburi, been to many of the places featured in the pics and mentioned by others, I need to get my self settled there at some time in the future as her indoors hails from there, the problem is finding decent property to rent, I'll get her to talk to the family (dodgy I know) but we have relatives in and outside the city so they could spread the word. 

Archived