2007 Plans

macb

Now that we are into the New Year what are your plans? Do you live outside LOS? Are hoping to get things sorted and make the move here?

Make your resolutions on this Topic and keep us up-dated as the year progresses!

Lets see if we can help you with advice achieve your goals for this year.

Ideally macb its get 6 numbers up on the lottery and come over to LOS for good but in reality its...

Ask at work over the next few weeks about a yr off unpaid leave (preparing a ###### good arguement first), and come to thailand and visit several areas (Isaan, Bkk, Chang Mai, Kanchanaburi to start with) and see what I like best, and what opportunities there are for me to stay. If I get the year off, I'm hoping to do some volunteer work if possible and am going to ask my employer (large international pharmaceutical company) to make a donation/sponsor to where ever I am helping out

If i get told no, then book 2 months off in June and July and come over and try and see what I can in that time. Friends always do 3 weeks in Patts so I'll prob do 1 or 2 there with them, then head off my own for the remaining weeks to other areas (invites to weddings etc welcome - June/July 07)

I'll keep you all updated as and when I make any progress

Now that we are into the New Year what are your plans? Do you live outside LOS? Are hoping to get things sorted and make the move here?

Make your resolutions on this Topic and keep us up-dated as the year progresses!

Lets see if we can help you with advice achieve your goals for this year.

Hi MacB

My 2007 or 2550 resolutions are as follows in cronological order

Understand/obtain visa requirements

BIG MOVE out of UK before Sonkcran 2550

Open our shop and make some money :o

Set up home computor so I can checkout Thaivisa site

Buy 4x4

Get married

get Retirement visa on 50th

and finally try,try and try again to prove my sterilisation reversal operation worked :D (with the other 'arf ofcourse)

WOW ! wot a year

Edited by Dave the Dude

Hi Macb,

Thought I would dive into the Chilled out section for a break.

I( the wife) has some land in the Phibun area, but I do not envisage to build there this year, you know anyone from near that area.

But the plans for this year are to hopefully begin developing a business from a Condo and land recently purchased in the Rayong area.

A long way from yourself but you didn't state that as a pre-requisite, so I thought I would just join in, hope you don't mind.

Just visited the land which I purchased near Phibun, it now has a herb garden, Chicken Coup, and the three Cows I purchased for the BIL to make some extra money? one is already in Calf so I will probably look to see if I can increase the herd in the coming month's.

Have some major decisions to come in the mid-term, whether to pack in and make a go of one or other or new business in the Smiles or wait for a little more security.

Just a little undecided at present.

So, some food for thought, thanks for asking.

Good Luck

Moss

Well Moss, et al;

Lat and I live full time in Chiayaphum (two hours north of Korat, two hours south of Khon Kaen) and we moved to Chiayaphum for good 15 mo. ago. I switched my O visa which required trips outside Thailand every 90 days (3 trips to Singapore and one to PP last year) to a retirement visa so now we never have to leave Thailand again.

It was a joint decision between my wife and myself to retire up here rather than in Bangkok or Pattaya Beach etc. because we own the home and land we live in here it being my wife's childhood home. It works for us because I love each and every member of my wife's family as my own back in Orange County CA. But when we decided to quit splitting each year between the U.S. and Thailand, we also agreed that we'd spend half of each month in our "village" and half in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Korat, Udon, Hua Hin or outside Thailand as I wished. Very good reason for that.

While we have paved roads to our property, have electricity, running water, phones, and have "modified" the house to include a more Americanized floorplan, with large covered front porch with concrete floor, huge 24 x 24 ft. living room and an air-conditioned bedroom/bathroom suite, etc. I can only stay up here about two weeks tops and then NEED to head for Bangkok or other area where all our farang friends live just to be able to speak English for a few days, and eat all the American foods I crave that aren't available at the Tesco in Chiayaphum, i.e. Rib Eye Steaks, good pizza w/anchovies, occasional American junk foods etc. and to take in a couple of movies in English, and visit a few of my favorite malls, which would include Paragon, Emporium, MBK and Esplanade in Bangkok or Royal Garden, Mike's, and Big C in Pattaya Beach and the new mall in Hua Hin.

Splitting up each month was the smartest decision we ever made. It eliminates the boredom of living in the village all month and also the stresses of living in the "city" all month. I'm always ready to make the transition both ways.

So, it might be a thought that all the other members of this forum might want to follow.

JMHO,

Ken Bower

Fully retired (and some say retarded) in Chiayaphum Thailand

Well, where is one to begin.................

First off, I ended 2006 by tendering my resignation to my employer here in the Philippines, on New Years Eve. Figured it would be best to get off on the right foot to begin a new year :o

I wasn't really happy with the job or the pay for that matter, oh well, life goes on.

On February 3rd, I will be departing for Thailand. Plans are a bit sketchy at the moment but may become more clearer in the next few months. I will take care of my visa at the Thai Embassy here in the Philippines BEFORE heading to LOS, still waiting on a call back from them.

My fiance and I will reside in Lumduan with her family. I spent some time there in November and fell in love with the area and her family. If we do not head to the states to live, we will make Lumduan home, like I said, things are still a bit sketchy, I don't really want to move back to the states. My fiance has quite a bit of land, a few nice lots to build a home and some for growing whatever.

What I would like to do I explore the possibility of opening up a dry goods store/Internet cafe with my fiance and even the two of us giving English lessons, my fiance speaks pretty d@mn good English. The Internet cafe depends on the connectivity issues in the area though, I have to look into it more when I get there. I was a systems engineer/PC Geek in a previous life so setting it up would be a piece of cake, use all Open Source Software and none of that M$ junk :D

I would be content with just working the land with her father and tending the cattle but we will need to make some money. We will be living off of my meager retirement/disability pay from the Marine Corps, not much but a hellluva lot more than the average Thai makes.

We will just take it day by day and see what happens, worse case scenario is we go back to the states and I enter the "rat race" all over again.......................... :D

Here's to living on the edge and loving it!!

It works for us because I love each and every member of my wife's family as my own back in Orange County CA.

Fully retired (and some say retarded) in Chiayaphum Thailand

Hey Ken, where in the OC? I am from Huntington Beach and most of the family now lives in Anaheim Hills.

BTW, Semi-Retired/Semi-Retarded................that's what I use............... :o

I'll add a few comments to this thread. I am building a house up-country, some 80 kilometers west (left) of Udon Thani. We bought some land, 1.8 rai, last year and the house is some 60% complete as we speak.

I will likely split the time between our house in Pattaya and the house up-country, going to Pattaya to play in the golf tournaments and then back up-country to sober up.

I am still working in Saudi (Yeah, Ken, I know I should be retired!) and I hope to take care of that in the next few months.

I have been part of the big, bad US Military/Industrial complex for, lo these many years, so I might just be an arms dealer in my spare time. (I'm joking, if any Moddy sees this!)

If I can't sell weapons, then I will probably sit on my front porch and watch young ladies on motorcycles drive by the front of the house.

Now, how's that for a plan???

Hmm 2007 hey, well 2006 was the strangest and Id have to say best year of my life so far. I started the year, struggling to find work after university and living in the Uk. I ended 2006 living in Korat with my wife and my 2 month old son.

This year, I plan to spend as much time with my wife and child as possible, I dont want the little munchkin to grow up yet, although when he does maybe ill get some more sleep. Were planning for a trip to England around june, july time for the little one to meet the rest of his family. Ive got the entire family back in England on my case for getting married and having a baby with a women half way around the world. Hopefully the misses will fall in love with the place and want to move there, currently she does not want to leave Thailand.

I guess Ill spend the rest of the year with the family and saving as much money as possible to try and get a foothold in the property market in the UK. As much as I love Thailand im happy to stay here a few years but ive got a career to try and get going back in the UK and the little ones education to think about. Id like to make my money first then come back to live here in say 20-30 years time. Who knows maybe a few years here a few years there. I guess it depends on whats best for all 3 of us so thats something ill try and spend the year working out.

Jed

Congratulations on retiring. I just saw your recent trip photos you posted and they are great. good slice of village life. I hope to join you up country in the next 12 months or so. I was posted to the Philippines from 04-06 and couldn't wait to get out to there. Good luck in Isaan.

Well, where is one to begin.................

First off, I ended 2006 by tendering my resignation to my employer here in the Philippines, on New Years Eve. Figured it would be best to get off on the right foot to begin a new year :o

I wasn't really happy with the job or the pay for that matter, oh well, life goes on.

On February 3rd, I will be departing for Thailand. Plans are a bit sketchy at the moment but may become more clearer in the next few months. I will take care of my visa at the Thai Embassy here in the Philippines BEFORE heading to LOS, still waiting on a call back from them.

My fiance and I will reside in Lumduan with her family. I spent some time there in November and fell in love with the area and her family. If we do not head to the states to live, we will make Lumduan home, like I said, things are still a bit sketchy, I don't really want to move back to the states. My fiance has quite a bit of land, a few nice lots to build a home and some for growing whatever.

What I would like to do I explore the possibility of opening up a dry goods store/Internet cafe with my fiance and even the two of us giving English lessons, my fiance speaks pretty d@mn good English. The Internet cafe depends on the connectivity issues in the area though, I have to look into it more when I get there. I was a systems engineer/PC Geek in a previous life so setting it up would be a piece of cake, use all Open Source Software and none of that M$ junk :D

I would be content with just working the land with her father and tending the cattle but we will need to make some money. We will be living off of my meager retirement/disability pay from the Marine Corps, not much but a hellluva lot more than the average Thai makes.

We will just take it day by day and see what happens, worse case scenario is we go back to the states and I enter the "rat race" all over again.......................... :D

Here's to living on the edge and loving it!!

Congratulations on retiring. I just saw your recent trip photos you posted and they are great. good slice of village life. I hope to join you up country in the next 12 months or so. I was posted to the Philippines from 04-06 and couldn't wait to get out to there. Good luck in Isaan.

Hi redwooddrive,

Look forward to poossibly meeting up with you knocking down a few brew's with you!!

I came here to the Philippines back in March with the intentions of retiring............along the way, an old high school buddy convinced me to help him out and get a new calibration lab up and running for him down in Laguna and one thing led to another. Needless to say, it was not what I wanted, should have told him no but it's tough to say no to a friend of over 24+ years when he needs a hand.

I had already got some land down in General Santos City in Mindanao but ended up giving it up. Oh well.......my loss.

Things have a way of working out for the best though. I honestly believe the path I have chosen now is for the better..............tired of all the BS that goes on in the Philippines, so much potential here but the Filipino is too d@mn lazy to do anything about it, "Status Quo" is good enough for them.........what a shame.

I look forward to my new adventure, I know it won't be easy but I am up for it. I love my fiance and her family.............it will all work out.

hi all well 2007 is here,and......my E tickets have just been mailed to me so my wife daeng is firstly travelling with her 18 month grandson and all to chaiyaphum in feb i am going out in march we are coming back after songkran to prepare for our summer season where we have a thai catering business running with events booked all over suffolk and norfolk here in uk.while i am there i might have a look at condos mabe in sattahip as i do find chaiyaphum stifling.....eventually the plan is six months there six months here.....by the way happy new year to all.

Well I been in the village since February 2005. At first I had to adjust mentally with no internet no landline etc.

But my Thai lanaguge has come on leaps and bounds with some Khmer thrown in.last year we have done well really: January did a jaunt with my mate Mervyn and his wife Nid around Chnang-Mai etc lasted about 15 days.

Been up to my mates Petchabun three times I think been to Pattaya twice and Prakhon Chai for a party so last year not bad.

This year well new baby about to arrive so I need so no more for now about 2007

But I am happy in the village I can get all the Farang food I need From Burriram Surin and of course the FC.

Edited by macb

Greetings to all - this year I will be moving to Thailand with my wife Noy and our four year old daughter. We have land about 30km E of Roi Et and have been waiting a few years to get started. At last I have retired and we can get going. I'd be very pleased to hear from anyone else in the area. Anyone know a good builder?

Thanks

You had an interesting observation of Mindanao life and their acceptance of the status quo. Believe me you are probably better off. My observations of Mindanao were work related (risk-stability related) and personally they gave me no confidence. GenSan is okay, but it is too close to the ongoing problems.

Isaan isn't perfect, but a darn lot better and more stable. My wife and I have already built a home (link in members gallery - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?au...si&img=191) in Buri Ram in 2003-4 and we are counting the days until we can stay there on a more permanent basis. I wouldn't have sunk half the money into the home if I had any sense it was like the Philippines. Other than the locals drinking a little too much whiskey lao for my liking, when they go to work on a job there are some hard working guys in Isaan.

I know what you mean about friends and sticking with them. Good luck and see you around so we can have that brew. add a (at)hotmail.com and that's my email if you care to write more. john

Hi redwooddrive,

Look forward to poossibly meeting up with you knocking down a few brew's with you!!

I came here to the Philippines back in March with the intentions of retiring............along the way, an old high school buddy convinced me to help him out and get a new calibration lab up and running for him down in Laguna and one thing led to another. Needless to say, it was not what I wanted, should have told him no but it's tough to say no to a friend of over 24+ years when he needs a hand.

I had already got some land down in General Santos City in Mindanao but ended up giving it up. Oh well.......my loss.

Things have a way of working out for the best though. I honestly believe the path I have chosen now is for the better..............tired of all the BS that goes on in the Philippines, so much potential here but the Filipino is too d@mn lazy to do anything about it, "Status Quo" is good enough for them.........what a shame.

I look forward to my new adventure, I know it won't be easy but I am up for it. I love my fiance and her family.............it will all work out.