Printer help needed

bazza73

My venerable HP F380 has died, so I've bought a Brother 1110 as replacement. Processes documents OK, then prints a blank page. Currently running Linux Mint 18 "Sarah" Cinnamon 64 bit.

Help needed. Reflections on my lack of IT skills are OK as long as you're nice about it.

Make sure you have CUPS installed. From there, using your web browser, navigate to 'http://localhost:631'.

You should then be able to manage your printer. That is, make sure you have the correct driver, can print a test page, etc.

Btw, I'm partial to HP printers when dealing with Linux, having used this brand for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 7/24/2017 at 9:14 AM, Gumballl said:

Make sure you have CUPS installed. From there, using your web browser, navigate to 'http://localhost:631'.

You should then be able to manage your printer. That is, make sure you have the correct driver, can print a test page, etc.

Btw, I'm partial to HP printers when dealing with Linux, having used this brand for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Thanks for the response; however, all my security systems lit up like a Christmas tree when I started getting into that website.

The problem seems to be some of the Brother drivers are 32bit, and won't function on a 64bit OS. So I'll be trying that out on another laptop located elsewhere next week.

Apparently one can force a 32bit Linux application into a 64bit OS to enable the printer driver. However, I want to confirm the driver will work on the 32bit system first. I'll keep the thread posted on progress.

Thanks for the response; however, all my security systems lit up like a Christmas tree when I started getting into that website.
The problem seems to be some of the Brother drivers are 32bit, and won't function on a 64bit OS. So I'll be trying that out on another laptop located elsewhere next week.
Apparently one can force a 32bit Linux application into a 64bit OS to enable the printer driver. However, I want to confirm the driver will work on the 32bit system first. I'll keep the thread posted on progress.

Christmas tree? Care to elaborate?

The site I directed you to runs on your system, presuming of course that CUPS is installed and running. To perform any admin work you will be prompted for your sudo credentials.

Btw, where did you get your printer driver? Is it really for Linux?

You can use 32-bit libraries on a 64-bit system. You will need to install 32-bit system libraries (that live alongside your existing 64-bit libs).

This all being said, the CUPS approach to installing a printer is more sensible.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

In my copious spare time (seriously, I'm bored!), I looked up the instructions to install your printer.  It is pretty much self explanatory; start here:  http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadend.aspx?c=eu_ot&lang=en&prod=hl1110_us_eu_as&os=128&dlid=dlf006893_000&flang=4&type3=625&dlang=true

Once you have downloaded the file, then follow the instructions that appear on the next page.

P.S.  AFAIK, Mint is Debian based, similar to Ubuntu.

I can't elaborate because my son did the test - his computer has a similar OS to mine. He made the Christmas tree observation. Mind you, he is paranoid about computer security.

The driver was off the Brother website, recommended for the 1110 model. Obviously not Linux-compatible.

Sorry you're bored - what do you do when you are not at the keyboard?

12 hours ago, bazza73 said:

I can't elaborate because my son did the test - his computer has a similar OS to mine. He made the Christmas tree observation. Mind you, he is paranoid about computer security.

The driver was off the Brother website, recommended for the 1110 model. Obviously not Linux-compatible.

The driver available at the Brother website is compatible with Linux/CUPS (use the link I sent earlier to install the driver).  Whether it has a bug or two that make the operation of your printer viable or not is a different topic that should be taken up with Brother.

Btw, I am currently on holiday at my wife's home-town village, 20 km from Korat (along Hwy 226).  There's not a whole lot to do, I do not have access to transportation, and frankly it is depressing... and the rain is not helping much.  Without access to the internet, I would go stir crazy.  Beside being on TV at the moment responding to this thread, I am also streaming a baseball game.

When I am not on holiday, I work as a s/w engineer (with Linux as my preferred OS).  I suppose the computer keyboard is always close at hand, no matter where I'm at.

Anyhow, all I have is another 9 days, and then I return home; I should be able to survive.  I am looking forward to cooler/dryer weather when I return home, and then the glory of watching the NFL games and pounding some quality beers.

3 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

The driver available at the Brother website is compatible with Linux/CUPS (use the link I sent earlier to install the driver).  Whether it has a bug or two that make the operation of your printer viable or not is a different topic that should be taken up with Brother.

Btw, I am currently on holiday at my wife's home-town village, 20 km from Korat (along Hwy 226).  There's not a whole lot to do, I do not have access to transportation, and frankly it is depressing... and the rain is not helping much.  Without access to the internet, I would go stir crazy.  Beside being on TV at the moment responding to this thread, I am also streaming a baseball game.

When I am not on holiday, I work as a s/w engineer (with Linux as my preferred OS).  I suppose the computer keyboard is always close at hand, no matter where I'm at.

Anyhow, all I have is another 9 days, and then I return home; I should be able to survive.  I am looking forward to cooler/dryer weather when I return home, and then the glory of watching the NFL games and pounding some quality beers.

Understand; that's why I prefer Chiang Mai to living in the sticks.

If you want to try something different, take a look at "AFL highlights" on Youtube. Australian Rules football. While you probably won't understand the rules, it's the fastest-paced game in the world. A top midfielder will cover 15-20 km in a game. No protective gear.

On 7/26/2017 at 8:08 AM, bazza73 said:

Did you or your son get the printer driver installed per the instructions at the website that I sent earlier?

8 hours ago, Gumballl said:

Did you or your son get the printer driver installed per the instructions at the website that I sent earlier?

I'm going up to Chiang Rai on Sunday, can try the driver there on a 32 bit OS laptop. Sorry I haven't responded earlier, I don't stay on TV all the time.

On 7/28/2017 at 6:41 AM, Gumballl said:

I have attempted to install the driver via the terminal emulator. When I enter the command line, it says "no such file found" even though the file is sitting there in the downloads.

Anyone in the CM area want to buy a Brother laser printer cheap? If they can't produce a Linux-based driver without putting customers through a massive learning curve, I'm going back to HP.

Did you follow the instructions?  Here, I will summarize them here:

1.  Download the driver package file (from here) into your Downloads folder; the file should have the name linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1.gz

2.  Open console terminal, and navigate to the Downloads folder:

$ cd ~/Downloads

3.  Un-compress the package file using the following command:

$ gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1.gz

4.  Install driver using elevated privileges:

$ sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1

5.  Answer the prompts (i.e. model number of the printer, etc.)

That should be it.

Archived