Fake Olive Oil

Chainsaw

I found an article in Google saying that most of the popular brands of Olive Oil are fake, as they have been adulterated with other oils to boost profits.

It explained that the way to test it was to put it in the fridge for half an hour. If it goes opaque and solidifies, it's genuine 100% Olive Oil.

So far I've tried 3 different popular  brands, all of them failed the fridge test.

Does anyone know of a brand that is definitely 100% genuine Olive Oil?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Chainsaw said:

Does anyone know of a brand that is definitely 100% genuine Olive Oil?

google koroneiki olives greece…thats the real deal…..dont expect any bargains though…quality costs.

the book extra virginity gives a good account of the olive oil scam

14 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

google koroneiki olives greece…thats the real deal…..dont expect any bargains though…quality costs.

the book extra virginity gives a good account of the olive oil scam

Thanks for the information. Next question, where can I find it in Phuket?

The fridge test seems to be a very naif and unreliable one.

All the edible oil are composed by a mix of different fatty acids, depending not omly from the type of oil, but also from their geographic origin, frome the year of production and so on, and their phisical behaviour depends from this composition.

So, for instance, a olive oil from Spain will last longer at low temperature, while an olive oil from Tunisia will solidify well before because of its high content of Linolenic acid. (but this, of course, does not mean that the oil from Tunisia is better or more genuine that the other one).

And, if you mix a bit of palm oil with soybean oil, from the point of view of this test you could have a very good and genuine  "olive oil" !!!

I worked for 20 years in a Company that was treating, analyzing, refining, mixing, packing and selling olive oil in Europe and abroad, we had a chemical lab for quality control with 5 full time employees, but never we had perforeme this test, even as a first test to give a quick idea about the sample genuinity.

Many other tests are available to detect the genuinity of an oil, in primis the fatty acids composition, but many other too, very sophisticated, and they are currently performed not only by the producers, but also by the custom laboratories when the product is exported.

When I have to buy a bottle of virgin olive oil in Phuket for my own, I choose a well known and reputable brand, I go in a shop were the oil is kept in a room with a/c and that give me the idea that (hopefully) the bottle during its life  has not been left too long at high room temperature, and check the date of production/expiring.  

The best test would be to unscrew tha cap ant to smell the flavour, but this step is a bit more difficult......

52 minutes ago, federicoP said:

The fridge test seems to be a very naif and unreliable one.

All the edible oil are composed by a mix of different fatty acids, depending not omly from the type of oil, but also from their geographic origin, frome the year of production and so on, and their phisical behaviour depends from this composition.

So, for instance, a olive oil from Spain will last longer at low temperature, while an olive oil from Tunisia will solidify well before because of its high content of Linolenic acid. (but this, of course, does not mean that the oil from Tunisia is better or more genuine that the other one).

And, if you mix a bit of palm oil with soybean oil, from the point of view of this test you could have a very good and genuine  "olive oil" !!!

I worked for 20 years in a Company that was treating, analyzing, refining, mixing, packing and selling olive oil in Europe and abroad, we had a chemical lab for quality control with 5 full time employees, but never we had perforeme this test, even as a first test to give a quick idea about the sample genuinity.

Many other tests are available to detect the genuinity of an oil, in primis the fatty acids composition, but many other too, very sophisticated, and they are currently performed not only by the producers, but also by the custom laboratories when the product is exported.

When I have to buy a bottle of virgin olive oil in Phuket for my own, I choose a well known and reputable brand, I go in a shop were the oil is kept in a room with a/c and that give me the idea that (hopefully) the bottle during its life  has not been left too long at high room temperature, and check the date of production/expiring.  

The best test would be to unscrew tha cap ant to smell the flavour, but this step is a bit more difficult......

Good post thanks for the info............

I did see a couple of articles a short while ago about olive oil and its authenticity and what I read quite shocked me!

I subscribe to a magazine called ConsumerLab which does testing on all sorts of things, but mainly vitamins and supplements, but it did do one on olive oils and it turns out that there are a couple from the USA which were highly rated, and not only by the magazine but by independent tests and tastings.

I tried to source some from New Zealand where I have tasted some stunning olive oils, but prohibitive cost and shipping and who knows what will happen to the stuff once it gets here (impounded/tax/customs/whatever).

Now perhaps you can answer something for me because I have seen some small bottles of extra-virgin olive oil in Tops (Waitrose) here in Phuket and they are extra-virgin olive oils made from individual olive varieties and labelled as such and also from individual producers, including from Crete and Sicily (I believe). Sure they are a little more expensive than the run-of-the-mill stuff, however do you know anything about them?

35 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

of those on the list I recognize Bertolli Extra Virgin,

available in my local BigC

lol…..bertolli and filippo berio are specifically mentioned in extra virginity as passing off oils of dubious provenance as extra virgin.

I'll still stump for koroneiki since it has the highest polyphenol count….thats the anti oxidant marker which is good for the heart.

good idea to seek out a greek fellow or restaurant in thailand and ask.

most oils now are adulterated 

there is so much palm oil produced/ now after knocking down all the rain forests in Asia

by company in Malaysia also part owned by govt and Islam bank 

they have bought most cooking oil company's in world 

and in small print you will find there palm oil added

6 hours ago, Chainsaw said:

Thanks for the information. Next question, where can I find it in Phuket?

Google is your friend.

Well that was your answer when someone asked you a perfectly reasonable question!

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

Now perhaps you can answer something for me because I have seen some small bottles of extra-virgin olive oil in Tops (Waitrose) here in Phuket and they are extra-virgin olive oils made from individual olive varieties and labelled as such and also from individual producers, including from Crete and Sicily (I believe). Sure they are a little more expensive than the run-of-the-mill stuff, however do you know anything about them?

I do not know these kind of bottles but I would be careful about the small, fancy, “organic” productions.

Unless I know very well the producer, I prefer to go with the big names (Bertolli, Carapelli, Berio, etc....) , I am sure that their production is regularly kept under control by the government organization, and suppose that their export is made correctly, with true samples and true analysis.

Moreover the oil does not last well if kept in small quantity, i.e. small bottle.

Better a one liter bottle kept in the dark and, possibly, in a place not too hot.

When I go out of Phuket for a long time, I prefer to keep the bottle inside the refrigerator instead of leaving it in a cupboard at more 30 degrees for a few months, just to trhow it away when I return.

But beyond the genuinity the most important thing for an oil is its own flavor and the fact that if you may like or not like its flavor.     Many people seem to forget this aspect.

The oil is like the wine, once you reasonably trust its genuinity and you think that there is nothing harmful inside, buy what fits better your taste :-)

Much of the Oil coming from Italy is suspect because  of the influence of organised crime on the industry.

https://www.oliveoiltimes.com/olive-oil-business/italy-arrests-33-accused-olive-oil-fraud/55364

https://www.oliveoiltimes.com/tag/olive-oil-adulteration?page=8 

I am lucky enough to have contacts in Greece, Me and the wife  will be spending a week there on my way to the US from Thailand  next month, and will bring back as large a tin container the airline will allow me to check in.

I love a tomato and cucumber  salad with an olive oil and vinegar dressing  , sprinkled with oregano.  A nice crispy italian bread with sesame seeds and some feta cheese on the side.

Dipping the bread in the Tomato, Oil and vinegar juice is heaven.

41 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Google is your friend.

Well that was your answer when someone asked you a perfectly reasonable question!

It was a perfectly reasonable answer too.

Try reading the previous posts, especially #7. That should clarify things for you. Or are you just trolling?

12 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Much of the Oil coming from Italy is suspect because  of the influence of organised crime on the industry.

https://www.oliveoiltimes.com/olive-oil-business/italy-arrests-33-accused-olive-oil-fraud/55364

https://www.oliveoiltimes.com/tag/olive-oil-adulteration?page=8 

I am lucky enough to have contacts in Greece, Me and the wife  will be spending a week there on my way to the US from Thailand  next month, and will bring back as large a tin container the airline will allow me to check in.

I love a tomato and cucumber  salad with an olive oil and vinegar dressing  , sprinkled with oregano.  A nice crispy italian bread with sesame seeds and some feta cheese on the side.

Dipping the bread in the Tomato, Oil and vinegar juice is heaven.

Interesting links there, thanks.

1 hour ago, federicoP said:

But beyond the genuinity the most important thing for an oil is its own flavor and the fact that if you may like or not like its flavor.     Many people seem to forget this aspect.

Very true and something that had slipped my mind......so thank you again for this and your tips.

I do remember some lovely olive oils I have tasted, but many from here seem to have a bitter taste which I do not like.

I like the fruity ones with just a taste of pepperiness so will keep on trying til I find one!

24 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

thanks for that list

wonder if BigC or Tops have any of the OK ones, probably not

I would not trust too much an article that suggests to make the fridge test to verify the oil genuinity,  that makes confusion between oils with organoleptic defcts and "fake oils",  and reports 14 brands as the 70% of 124 brands   :smile:

18 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

I'll still stump for koroneiki since it has the highest polyphenol count….thats the anti oxidant marker which is good for the heart.

Thanks for the articles and info...........and I've looked on Google for koroneiki olive oil here and also on Lazada but no luck as yet.

Has anybody ascertained whether the greek shop pictured by Sclog (thank you) has it or similar unadulterated olive oil?

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

Thanks for the articles and info...........and I've looked on Google for koroneiki olive oil here and also on Lazada but no luck as yet.

Has anybody ascertained whether the greek shop pictured by Sclog (thank you) has it or similar unadulterated olive oil?

Drove past today but was to fast to stop?....maybe next time lol.

http://organicloverthailand.com/seasonings-sweetener/443-olive-oil-organic-500-ml.html

Opposit Central festival is also possibility for greek olive oil.

22 minutes ago, schlog said:

Drove past today but was to fast to stop?....maybe next time lol.

http://organicloverthailand.com/seasonings-sweetener/443-olive-oil-organic-500-ml.html

Opposit Central festival is also possibility for greek olive oil.

Thanks for the link above Schlog..........got onto their website and it seems they have joined with another health food supplier, Good Karma, whom I have bought from before, so will be worth a visit AND now I know exactly where it is!.

Archived