Entering Koh Kong on a motorcycle.

wheelin

I'd like to ride my motor cycle into Koh Kong from Trat.  Is this possible?    Actually, I'd like to tour Cambodia on my motorcycle, and would like to know if  it's possible  to  put the motorcycle on the  passenger boat to Sihanoukville  ('Kampong Som). Any recommendation will be much appreciated.

For cars, they charge you 100 Baht /day ur going to be in the country, for bikes not sure

Bike MUST be in ur name to leave Thailand

you do know ur insurance is not valid, nor is ur thai license accepted if ur stopped

Make sure ur headlight is OFF in the day time as Cambodian law
what passenger boat?

1 hour ago, phuketrichard said:

what passenger boat?

They have long fast boat that service  Sihanoukville  ('Kampong Som) and Koh Kong, similar to boat that runs from SeamReap to Pnompenh, and Strung Tren  down the Mekong river.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2017 at 4:42 PM, wheelin said:

They have long fast boat that service  Sihanoukville  ('Kampong Som) and Koh Kong, similar to boat that runs from SeamReap to Pnompenh, and Strung Tren  down the Mekong river.

This boat has been canceled long time ago.

And yes you can ride your bike, and even exit somewhere else to come back to Thailand.

On 8/12/2017 at 2:07 AM, bberrythailand said:

This boat has been canceled long time ago.

And yes you can ride your bike, and even exit somewhere else to come back to Thailand.

At least for cars, they hold either your Thai customs temporary exit form or your blue book. I've been in and out of Koh Kong with my own car 4 times now, just went across the other week and for the first time I was asked for my blue registration book, previously they only held the customs form. I guess it depends on the official, I've been able to make out that they have folders, some with customs forms some with blue books. Next time they might only ask for the customs form again. It seems to be random. However, they always ask for a small fee for the guy watching the gate to lift it, usually 100 Baht. Sometimes an extra 20 is needed for the guy actually lifting it up. You might be able to bargain this down a little, but I'd just pay it rather than make a fuss - after all, you want to drive into the country not cause additional unnecessary delays over such a small amount of money. There is no need to pay anything else when exiting though - only when entering.

Technically there's nothing stopping you from exiting at another crossing even if they hold one of your docs, but for me it would be a hassle declaring my blue book lost and really not worth it. I think the procedure is similar for bikes, but only once have I ever seen motorcycles cross that border (except for some small local ones who didn't have to do any paperwork because they are known to customs) and it seemed to take ages for them to be processed by customs for some reason. By the time I finished stamping my passport and my car was across, they were still sitting down waiting for something to happen, while their bikes were parked before the gate.

It's probably better to enter at O'Smach if you want to exit elsewhere, although even then you might be questioned if you try to exit anywhere other than O'Smach, Poipet or Koh Kong. In the latter case, you just drive up to the barrier and you should be able to exit - I don't know anyone who entered elsewhere who then exited at Koh Kong but it's such an informal process that unless the guy manning the little customs hut wonders why you didn't stop off to see him to get your documents returned and prevents the gate from being opened (unlikely) assuming he sees you and stares at your car the whole time, it seems unlikely he would have a reason to stop you. You could always pay him a few Baht and he'll open the gate if he were to ask any questions though.

Archived