Farang Attitudes and Results

Amphur2000

I've noticed over the years of attitudes and demeanours from farang. Subjects include long time visa, yellow book, pink card, driving licences etc. I never had any issue getting all the above because I kept my nose clean and respected authority in Thailand. I am surprised at the attitudes of Farang who come here with a western attitude thinking they will get what they want. Is it because all the newcomers do not respect the kingdom ? Is it a western ego ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Amphur2000 said:

all the newcomers do not respect the kingdom

Are you suggesting they should be made to? When Thailand  shows me respect instead of making it blatantly obvious they don't want us here then all well and good.

1 hour ago, sinbin said:

Are you suggesting they should be made to? When Thailand  shows me respect instead of making it blatantly obvious they don't want us here then all well and good.

What exactly brought you to this conclusion? 

What about the eastern ego and attitude toward foreigners ? oh excuse me "FARANGS" I dont personally have much trouble living here but lets face it Thailand in general is a very xenophobic and racist country even to their own people if your skin color is not white enough. My home country and most others would never tolerate the double standards placed on citizens, visitors and long term foreign expats that are common in Thailand.

4 hours ago, puchooay said:
5 hours ago, sinbin said:

What exactly brought you to this conclusion? 

The fact I've lived here 12 years. Obviously you don't see the same as I do? 

4 hours ago, sinbin said:

The fact I've lived here 12 years. Obviously you don't see the same as I do? 

I'd hate to get into a phishing contest but I have been here 19 years.

I guess the difference is that I show respect to my family and neighbours and , hence, get the respect back.

My gate is always open, as it were.

9 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I guess the difference is that I show respect to my family and neighbours and , hence, get the respect back.

And I don't? Mind yer head doesn't get stuck in the door frame on the way out.  

Well, gentleman, one thing this post has showed me is 'Those who respect the Kingdom' and those 'Who have had their fingers burnt by your own admission' Beggars belief with some members here who just sit here bitter and twisted. It matters not who has been here the longest, it's more about how positive we read your experiences from 1 year to 30 years. I do wish negative people would just keep their thoughts to themselves because newbies come here for advice and get shot down in flames [emoji91] For those who are positive thank you, for those who respect the Kingdom, Thank You. For those who are burnt, room 101 awaits you [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I am a newbie but I don't think I got shot down in flames (but only asked 2 questions so far!). Response has been very helpful.

I would also say that my initial impression of farang living there is that there is great respect for the 'Kingdom' - I've lost count of how many different people I've listened to who have all said dont criticise the royal family or Buddha, don't break any laws, don't get involved in arguing/fighting with Thais, etc etc

I think the 'negative thoughts' you can read here are nothing compared to what you would see in a 'western' forum so I think that even here, people are a little more careful about what they say.

Also, if these 'negative' people continue to live in Thailand then their problems can't really be so bad, otherwise they would move on.

The only thing that I got from this post was that people are different!

Sent from my HUAWEI P8max using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, Amphur2000 said:

Well, gentleman, one thing this post has showed me is 'Those who respect the Kingdom' and those 'Who have had their fingers burnt by your own admission' Beggars belief with some members here who just sit here bitter and twisted. It matters not who has been here the longest, it's more about how positive we read your experiences from 1 year to 30 years. I do wish negative people would just keep their thoughts to themselves because newbies come here for advice and get shot down in flames emoji91.png For those who are positive thank you, for those who respect the Kingdom, Thank You. For those who are burnt, room 101 awaits you emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, you  do not know the circumstances of others who may have a different view than your own.  Let's take the case of Andy Hall. Ever hear of him? If not ,look up his case.  If not for the intervention of multiple foreign countries he would be in jail or dead  by now. Others have not been so lucky and are dead.  This is one end of the spectrum.

Going towards your end of the spectrum where it is lilacs, sunbeams and butterflies, we pass the foreigners who have had loved ones run down by Thai drivers or raped by thugs, never to have justice. Ever hear of  Jake Tonkin? The poor kid was run down and left for dead. Broken bones and bleeding out.   Then we pass the foreigners who have been shaken down by corrupt officials or forced to pay"damages" for bogus injuries and damages that often follow   collisions with uninsured Thais. Next we go past the visitors ripped off and extorted  by Phuket tuk tuk drivers and beach gangs. Along the way, we will meet long time residents who have lost their homes because of trickery involving a spouse or business partner and a dishonest lawyer and banker. And of course we will meet some patients of the medical hub who had botched procedures, but who have no recourse because it is near impossible to pursue a case of negligence.

Life can be good for nobodies living upcountry because they really don't have anything to lose or anything that greedy people want. For others, they are protected or in a position such that the usual parasites cannot get to them. However, nobody is untouchable and if one takes the wrong hi so's parking spot one can end up dead. Just ask the family of the young doctor who had the angry army officer run her down. And then we have the people who come up against jerks like Red Bull boy. If they are lucky, they are not killed or left maimed by a jerk, but they still have to deal with some snot.

Don't think you are so safe. A couple years ago I was staying at the Panerai in Udon Thani town.Saturday morning  at 8 am, a selfish jerk decides he wants to rev his lamborghini engine below my window. This went on for 20 minutes. I called the front desk. Nothing. It got worse as he was joined by someone else who decided to rev too. I go down  to ask them to cool it. Mr. double chin told me he was very important and that he would have me tossed out of the country after I was   taught respect for my superiors, aka a beating.  I am probably better protected than most and I keep a low profile, but this tub of lard probably could have caused me  problems just because of  his father's position. One day, you will learn too.

40 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, you  do not know the circumstances of others who may have a different view than your own.  Let's take the case of Andy Hall. Ever hear of him? If not ,look up his case.  If not for the intervention of multiple foreign countries he would be in jail or dead  by now. Others have not been so lucky and are dead.  This is one end of the spectrum.

Going towards your end of the spectrum where it is lilacs, sunbeams and butterflies, we pass the foreigners who have had loved ones run down by Thai drivers or raped by thugs, never to have justice. Ever hear of  Jake Tonkin? The poor kid was run down and left for dead. Broken bones and bleeding out.   Then we pass the foreigners who have been shaken down by corrupt officials or forced to pay"damages" for bogus injuries and damages that often follow   collisions with uninsured Thais. Next we go past the visitors ripped off and extorted  by Phuket tuk tuk drivers and beach gangs. Along the way, we will meet long time residents who have lost their homes because of trickery involving a spouse or business partner and a dishonest lawyer and banker. And of course we will meet some patients of the medical hub who had botched procedures, but who have no recourse because it is near impossible to pursue a case of negligence.

Life can be good for nobodies living upcountry because they really don't have anything to lose or anything that greedy people want. For others, they are protected or in a position such that the usual parasites cannot get to them. However, nobody is untouchable and if one takes the wrong hi so's parking spot one can end up dead. Just ask the family of the young doctor who had the angry army officer run her down. And then we have the people who come up against jerks like Red Bull boy. If they are lucky, they are not killed or left maimed by a jerk, but they still have to deal with some snot.

Don't think you are so safe. A couple years ago I was staying at the Panerai in Udon Thani town.Saturday morning  at 8 am, a selfish jerk decides he wants to rev his lamborghini engine below my window. This went on for 20 minutes. I called the front desk. Nothing. It got worse as he was joined by someone else who decided to rev too. I go down  to ask them to cool it. Mr. double chin told me he was very important and that he would have me tossed out of the country after I was   taught respect for my superiors, aka a beating.  I am probably better protected than most and I keep a low profile, but this tub of lard probably could have caused me  problems just because of  his father's position. One day, you will learn too.

that has got to be the post of the year.never a more true word spoken.

Army brought a few spaghetti carbonara.  Should survive the night.   Have 4hrs left on laptop for TV and candle light to read.. 

Saw some dogs on roofs and heard a woman from the house in the Pict screaming for about 5mins, now quiet. 

15012335292351831558325.jpg

16 hours ago, bearpolar said:

Army brought a few spaghetti carbonara.  Should survive the night.   Have 4hrs left on laptop for TV and candle light to read.. 

Saw some dogs on roofs and heard a woman from the house in the Pict screaming for about 5mins, now quiet. 

15012335292351831558325.jpg

Where Is this please Bear?

On 7/27/2017 at 7:17 PM, ipeterrobinson17 said:

The only thing that I got from this post was that people are different!

The thought that crossed my mind is that Thais are typically indifferent.  If a wrongdoing or other type of abuse does not affect them directly, then they just look the other way.  It is the Thai version of a "dog eat dog world".  Westerners, however, due to their upbringing, tend to point out deficiencies at every opportunity, hoping that someone will sympathize with them.  A Thai doesn't want to hear the complaints, because it's not their problem, and most are too busy with their own lives to worry about another's.  I am not saying all Thais are like this, but one has to admit the majority are.  Its an ingrain trait that we visitors must accept.

The thought that crossed my mind is that Thais are typically indifferent.  If a wrongdoing or other type of abuse does not affect them directly, then they just look the other way.  It is the Thai version of a "dog eat dog world".  Westerners, however, due to their upbringing, tend to point out deficiencies at every opportunity, hoping that someone will sympathize with them.  A Thai doesn't want to hear the complaints, because it's not their problem, and most are too busy with their own lives to worry about another's.  I am not saying all Thais are like this, but one has to admit the majority are.  Its an ingrain trait that we visitors must accept.

Indifferent?! I like what you did there but I would have said 'Thais seem typically indifferent' as you are judging their behaviour based on your own way of thinking.

There are some still significant differences between Thailand (Asia) and 'the West' that make these comparisons problematic.

At the end of the day, I think most farang here are trying to better understand Thai's/Thailand so they can make their life better here, which is to me a sign of respect for the 'Kingdom'.

From outside looking in, it may seem like a lot of criticism about Thailand but those people looking also need to appreciate how farangs behave if they want to correctly interpret the behaviour here.

I like living in a 'Western democracy' but it has it's problems and I find certain aspects of Asian countries more appealing.

I also wonder how attached I would be to my Western values if I was having to worry about where my next meal was coming from.

Sent from my HUAWEI P8max using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

There is no guaranteed roadmap to success in life where ever you choose to live

I rather appreciate the Thai way 

Employ the approach most likely to bring the resolution you desire

Quickly Identify and acknowledge when to let it go

The frequent challenge for outsiders is negotiating an embedded hierarchical system where their entry level could be well below expectations - for my part I readily discuss and take detailed instruction/advice from my wife on our approach to topics, so far this has served us well

I agree that there is an attitude problem here with farangs. I regularly go to the shopping centres and when I pass another farang I always say hello in greeting them but a large majority of then stick their nose in the air and ignore me as if I am a piece of rubbish. Maybe these are the ones who have an attitude problem with the Thai's, maybe they think they are better than anyone else. Which they are not.

On 04/08/2017 at 1:21 PM, Russell17au said:

I agree that there is an attitude problem here with farangs. I regularly go to the shopping centres and when I pass another farang I always say hello in greeting them but a large majority of then stick their nose in the air and ignore me as if I am a piece of rubbish. Maybe these are the ones who have an attitude problem with the Thai's, maybe they think they are better than anyone else. Which they are not.

I've seen similar posts many times and with differing opinions. 

I have been here 19 years. At that time there were no shopping centres. There were hardly any expats. When ever one encountered another expat a greeting came naturally at it was almost a shock to meet. 

Nowadays it is almost inevitable that you are going to see multiple expats when out and about, especially if you are in places like BigC, Robinsons, etc. 

Would it really be deemed an attitude problem if one did not greet everyone? Should we also greet every Thai? Would anyone greet every countrymam/woman they encountered in a supermarket in their home country? 

Archived