Farang Attitudes and Results

Amphur2000

1 hour ago, DILLIGAD said:

A 23 y.o. Has been arrested for the murder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes the attacker was caught after a few days and will no doubt go to court, plead not guilty and get perhaps 10 years in jail and released in 5 years.

True but the murder still happened in woodlands in the UK.

I read that paper every day and the number of assaults, rapes, pedophiles, armed robberies, scams and assaults on elderly people (I am one), murders etc a year simply reinforces my desire no to return to the town and country of my birth.

TBH I am very happy here in Thailand and I certainly feel much safer.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

image.png.726c732068a64d74e251f0307813ce0b.pngNational parks are safe as long as you do not leave your car parked in the wrong place or it will be relocated for you

I would have no problem visiting any of Thailands National Parks as I do not feel that they hold any danger.

As with a previous post that I made about Farangs not responding to a greeting. I was brought up that it is always polite to acknowledge another person who greets you. If I greet a Thai in the street or the shops I have had the experience that they always acknowledge you in return and that to me is being polite

9 hours ago, oldhippy said:

One of the things that we enjoy most when we visit Europe is the freedom to walk safely in (national) parks. Sometimes my wife wanders off for an hour by herself, never a problem.

Freedom!!!

Can you do that in Thailand?

Yes, one can - 

You are familiar with this part of the world, are you not?

Or, are you of the fashion to make things up from whatever mythological textbook of your choosing?

Ehm,  well in 1977 life was not too good in Thailand after the student massacre the year before.   Local Thais were saying to me at that time they did not know what their country was turning into.  50 years later still relatively safe for a farang but it appears as more and more Thais  are being persecuted,  banged in jail or whatever than in the 1970's it is fast becoming a state of uncertainty and fear that has not really moved on much.

50 years late 

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

Yes, one can - 

You are familiar with this part of the world, are you not?

Or, are you of the fashion to make things up from whatever mythological textbook of your choosing?

Personally I have no idea how safe it is in free nature in Thailand.

I rely on what the locals, ic my wife, tell me.

My Thai wife and son can wander freely in the national parks up here in rural Khampaeng Phet. Quite often they would go off and leave on my own and all of us were quite happy. So, yes we can do that in Thailand.

Though I have not been to the UK for quite a while I feel far safer in Thailand than I did on my last visit there.

A story from my local paper back in the UK for you.

A murder in the woodlands in rural England.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/15463988.Pensioner_stabbed_to_death_while_walking_dogs_was____immensely_kind_____say_family/

The family of an 83-year-old man who was stabbed to death while walking his two dogs have described him as “a lovely, gentle husband, dad and grandfather”.
Peter Wrighton, from Banham, Norfolk, was repeatedly stabbed in the neck and head on Saturday morning.
No arrests have been made since his body was found by a member of the public in woodland near the Fiveways Junction close to the village of East Harling.

Of course these murders only happen in the UK.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, roo860 said:

Of course these murders only happen in the UK.

They probably happen in most countries but I don't read the local papers of other countries I would have no idea what it is like there.

I do however have the experience of the UK and I do read at least 1 local newspaper.

How many do you read?

I speak only for myself i make no assumptions as to other peoples experiances.

Feeling safe i feel safe here in Thailand whether walking/driving/cycling. There are certain things i put in place to ensure my saftey.

I never get involved in any arguments or stop to watch one.

I never put myself in a postion of danger ie get out of the car late night where there are large groups of men/boys drinking.

Places i have lived in or visited were i do not feel safe.

USA/Argentina/ Philippines/Brazil/South Africa/ Northern Island/Iraq/Afghanistan/russia.

Note i list countries not specific areas in the countries i stayed at. I would say that there are probably places within some of the mentioned countries which would probably be safe enough. However one experiance within any country would and does in my thoughts implicate the whole country.

On 7/27/2017 at 1:01 PM, DILLIGAD said:

Reminds me of the old bumper sticker that starts with 'Jesus loves you....'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobody else loves you ,  deal in facts .555

They probably happen in most countries but I don't read the local papers of other countries I would have no idea what it is like there.

I do however have the experience of the UK and I do read at least 1 local newspaper.

How many do you read?

2, incidents like this are reported in national newspapers. I have a little experience of the UK as well.

2 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

I speak only for myself i make no assumptions as to other peoples experiances.

Feeling safe i feel safe here in Thailand whether walking/driving/cycling. There are certain things i put in place to ensure my saftey.

I never get involved in any arguments or stop to watch one.

I never put myself in a postion of danger ie get out of the car late night where there are large groups of men/boys drinking.

Places i have lived in or visited were i do not feel safe.

USA/Argentina/ Philippines/Brazil/South Africa/ Northern Island/Iraq/Afghanistan/russia.

Note i list countries not specific areas in the countries i stayed at. I would say that there are probably places within some of the mentioned countries which would probably be safe enough. However one experiance within any country would and does in my thoughts implicate the whole country.

So if tomorrow you have a spot of bother you will implicate a whole country and thailand will be on that list.

17 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

I thought crewe had been taken over by Poland?  

Fyi ,  North pole is know the south pole, and 

Polish people  now live the  UK,  all are welcome  benies  given free ,  could be worse i suppose .

Love is all it takes.

On 15/08/2017 at 1:26 AM, Rc2702 said:

So if tomorrow you have a spot of bother you will implicate a whole country and thailand will be on that list.

If you read the post it clearly states i feel safe in Thailand. NEXT

3 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

If you read the post it clearly states i feel safe in Thailand. NEXT

Sorry that sound bite you wrote makes little sense. Here's the last part.

However one experiance within any country would and does in my thoughts implicate the whole country.

so yes you say you feel safe in thailand but not in a host of other countries which you list.

You then say 1 bad experience in your eyes implicates the whole country.

So my point which is very easy for anyone to understand is if tomorrow you get in to some trouble in one way or another here  does that then mean you implicate the whole country and unmark it from your safe list.

Point is your making very little sense with that comment hence I've spared you the embarrassment of fully quoting it.

I also wonder how attached I would be to my Western values if I was having to worry about where my next meal was coming from.
UNQUOTE

On the contrary!
Our western values were formed when Europeans knew that there was no next meal coming any time soon.......

Did our ancestors - not that long ago - count on getting lucky with the lottery? overcharge rich foreigners? accept things as god's will? bow to their masters?
No.
They stood up against the authorities that Thais respect so much.
They took what was rightfully theirs: the fruits of their labour.

I'm not sure which part of recent history (not that long ago) you are referring to, so I'm not really sure I get your point but you do seem to state 'we' are much better/stronger than the Thais because they do such foolish things.

In case you didn't know we have plenty of lotteries in the west, and a significant proportion believe in a god.

Undoubtedly, the Thais are not as far down the 'civilisation' road as we are, but that's not because we are any better/smarter/stronger etc. They are trying to catch up quickly, and inevitably it's happening quite differently to the way it did for us in the west.

If you are trying to tell me that you think you would be the same person, with the same values/morals etc, no matter where and when you were born, then I have great difficulty believing that is true.

When you see so much that is wrong in Thailand it makes me wonder why you have any interest there. Are the only reasons because weather is good, living is cheap and you can get a pretty partner?

Sent from my HUAWEI P8max using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

21 minutes ago, ipeterrobinson17 said:

I'm not sure which part of recent history (not that long ago) you are referring to, so I'm not really sure I get your point but you do seem to state 'we' are much better/stronger than the Thais because they do such foolish things.

In case you didn't know we have plenty of lotteries in the west, and a significant proportion believe in a god.

Undoubtedly, the Thais are not as far down the 'civilisation' road as we are, but that's not because we are any better/smarter/stronger etc. They are trying to catch up quickly, and inevitably it's happening quite differently to the way it did for us in the west.

If you are trying to tell me that you think you would be the same person, with the same values/morals etc, no matter where and when you were born, then I have great difficulty believing that is true.

When you see so much that is wrong in Thailand it makes me wonder why you have any interest there. Are the only reasons because weather is good, living is cheap and you can get a pretty partner?

Thank you for replying and asking questions without condemning.

I do not have the answers, still searching...

Can I start with:

Civilisation is only a thin layer of varnish, but at least Farangland has that varnish.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I refer to 19th 20th century, and their social/political reforms.

Thais remind me of my (grand) parents.

Lottery-ism in Thailand is of a very different level.

Europeans believe in a very ungod-ish god, more of a concept than a heaven&hell thing.

Indeed, Thais are behind us in civilisation. They try to catch up with us / imitate us (not saying that is good or bad) and are  losing their own culture.

Why do you think that? I never suggested that!  People are the product of the culture they live in. If I were born in Thailand I would be Thai.

I see a lot wrong in every country - but this is a Thai forum, so I do not critisize Baloechistan or my own country. And I see a lot of good too.

I live 6 months a year in Thailand with my wife (I am 66, she 62 and pretty yes 555).

The weather here is good only in the winter months.

Life here is cheap only because we live in the middle of nowhere in a 3 rai fruit/flower garden, not in a tourist area.  I love working in our garden, our swimming pool, simple food and some Thai friends. I have zero interest in the rest of Thailand. The other 6 months we travel around Europe.

10 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Civilisation is only a thin layer of varnish, but at least Farangland has that varnish.  

A highly tainted and illusional varnish matching the usual fanciful tones.

Just now, zzaa09 said:

I'd rather not.

You figure it out, if your capable.  

Have a lovely evening.

I am not capable to understand this post, or most of your other posts.

Are you perhaps an interlectual (...) or something like that? Do you like riddles?

The OP is out there on his own in perfection land . He kept his nose clean and it paid dividends he provided multiple examples of multiple scenarios where he got exactly what he needed without one hint of a hurdle.. m . Sounds like heaven and I'm sorry but posts like this should only tell you thing. The OP is in lala land anyone with a hint of understanding of thailand knows nothing comes easy (beer and girls and problems being exception) and hurdles are faced with all manner of simple tasks and for us westerners that can be frustrating and the outlet for such frustrations is right here on TV.

Just a guess but perhaps this perfection punter Is tied in with someone at his local amphur which may explain his name and his very unique circumstance and he may just be taking his situation for granted and have no real understanding for other people's situations.

Thank you for replying and asking questions without condemning.
I do not have the answers, still searching...

Can I start with:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I refer to 19th 20th century, and their social/political reforms.
Thais remind me of my (grand) parents.

Lottery-ism in Thailand is of a very different level.
Europeans believe in a very ungod-ish god, more of a concept than a heaven&hell thing.

Indeed, Thais are behind us in civilisation. They try to catch up with us / imitate us (not saying that is good or bad) and are  losing their own culture.

Why do you think that? I never suggested that!  People are the product of the culture they live in. If I were born in Thailand I would be Thai.

I see a lot wrong in every country - but this is a Thai forum, so I do not critisize Baloechistan or my own country. And I see a lot of good too.
I live 6 months a year in Thailand with my wife (I am 66, she 62 and pretty yes 555).
The weather here is good only in the winter months.
Life here is cheap only because we live in the middle of nowhere in a 3 rai fruit/flower garden, not in a tourist area.  I love working in our garden, our swimming pool, simple food and some Thai friends. I have zero interest in the rest of Thailand. The other 6 months we travel around Europe.

As modern as it seems in places, Thailand is still quite a different country from the west and this will continue for a few decades yet.

I think "first world" countries are better in so many ways, but I don't think that Thailand can be blamed for that, and it still has many good reasons to spend time there.

There are plenty of differences, and they can be frustrating/annoying, but there's not much value in getting worked up about it, just deal with it all as you see fit.

Farangs were lucky to be born/live wherever it was, and Thais were not as lucky.

Archived