Police Check Requirements

There will be varying levels of enforcement, but in the two provinces where I supervise schools, a police clearance is necessary.

Since you are coming from the US, get a police clearance there. Call the local police and they can usually give you guidance on the issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This post has been moved here:

Often the Embassies of the countries you are destined for require a Thai Police check which is reasonable enough if you've spend

a considerable amount of time here.

This was my recent experience from January of this year.

You have to attend the Royal Thai Police HQ on Rama 1, Bangkok. The nearest Skytrain is Siam Square.

I initially tried in Khon Kaen and was advised this was only possible in Bangkok. Fair enough.

The service is free.

When attending please be aware this HQ is a sprawling place and whilst I found all the Thai police to be helpful many couldn't understand what I was asking for. Asking for a criminal records check won't do it.Repeat the words "Police Clearance" as often as possible and hope for the best. Better still be organised (unlike myself) and bone up the Thai vocab.

Once you enter the office

(1) complete an application form

(2) provide your passport for inspection

(3) have your fingerprints and photograph taken there and then

(4) confirm the country you are going to work in.

A previous post I had read said that you had to provide photographs. You don't.

The same post said that you could pay a fee and the police would expedite the search. You can't.

They normally advise you to return 2 to 3 weeks later to collect

Collection was painless and took 10 minutes. Ultimately you get a certificate that says you have been well behaved and this addressed specifically to the Embassy of the country you are going to work in.

One other great tip is to double check you actually need it. Don't rely on advice from agents or well meaning third parties. Saudi Arabia where I'm on route to does not require a police check!

Are they still requiring foreign teachers to do a police check? Most of the jobs I have seen posted online don't mention needing one. Is it not the school but the Ministry of Labor/Education that needs it still?

I am coming over around May to do my TEFL course at SEE. Should I just get a clearance from my local police station here in the united states? Does it have to be at a state level ( Do I have to go to a State Police post, or will my local city police unit be able to fulfill the CBC)?

I am sorry if these questions have been answered. I just wanted to update this thread for the new year we are well into.

Thanks everyone

Travis

FBI check, cost $ 18 = fingerprints. googleit!

• 1 month later...

I got my "CRB" done through disclosure scotland just over 4 years ago. I believe they are still in operation. You can request a basic CRB for yourself through these people. You can also request an ACPO or Subject Access Release from your local police (which I think is quite a bit cheaper).

I am about to return to UK and apply for a new non B, I'm just wondering if they would accept my original CRB form or if I'd have to do a new one in UK (given that they'd see from my passport that I've not been there). Also wondering if they would accept a police check from Thailand instead.

The CRB and SAR checks look like a hassle if you've spent time out of the country.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I am trying to go to Thailand in October to teach english. My new boss hasn't mentioned anything about a criminal record check until today. He said I MAY need one.

I have a misdemeanor charge for underage drinking in Georgia, USA when I was 20 years old and need to know if this would keep me from going on a Non-Immigrant B visa. This minor offense already stopped me from teaching in korea and it would be a shame if it stopped me from teaching in Thailand as well.

Thanks!

John

You will need a criminal records check and I have no idea whether that would cause a rejection or not. You might want to try to find out about a criminal record check that is not gotten locally. For example, I wonder if it would show up on an FBI check? I was of the assumption that misdemeanor offenses didn't show up.

I already got an FBI Background check and it did show that i was arrested and charged with underaged drinking. I hate it because it is such a minor offense and i have stayed completely out of trouble before this and since. Maybe they judge based on severity?

Jteems3,

I can actually offer you some advice. Since you're still in the States, see about having your record "sealed." It's relatively simple especially if it interferes with something like employment. Sounds to me like you'd stand a chance of getting it. One thing I don't know if is this will keep the FBI from reporting it because law enforcement will still have access. You can also consider petioning the Govorner for an expungement which WOULD take if off your record.

Now, I have some questions of my own. This thread is a mile long and started in 2007, so I want to get the "latest." It seems they are being persisistent about the FBI checks, yes? I wonder if a Federal charge with no conviction would show up on the report and if so would it disqualify me?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry, so its just for public grade school? And this check is sufficient? You need nothing from your home country? Is it issued to you? Do you get a copy or able to view it?

Apply for chrck prior to teachers lic not work permit?

So, find a job

Get a visa and work permit

Police check

Teachers lic (waiver)

Where does that cultural test any anything else come into play? Sorry, off topic.

Prior to sending people to get a non-immigrant B visa, we have all the paperwork necessary. We submit a copy of the degree/transcripts and the police clearance to the MOE (and any other necessary paper work), they issue a letter to the Embassy/Consulate. The person then returns with the non-immigrant B visa and we process the Work Permit and the extension of stay and initiate the paperwork for the 'waiver' of the Teacher's License.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the clearance is considered valid if you have spent the last 6 months in the country. I've not known the authorities to be too pedantic about the police clearance yet. If you are from the UK, lived in the UK and the police clearance is reasonably current, it should be OK.

If there is a problem, you can go to the Thai police and they will get a new one.

If you have been in Thailand for 6 months,then you might want to get it from here.

I believe the clearance is considered valid if you have spent the last 6 months in the country. I've not known the authorities to be too pedantic about the police clearance yet. If you are from the UK, lived in the UK and the police clearance is reasonably current, it should be OK.

If there is a problem, you can go to the Thai police and they will get a new one.

If you have been in Thailand for 6 months,then you might want to get it from here.

What if I lived in Thailand previously. In my case 4 years ago, and I lived there for 3 years (on and off)

Really post 49.

Rehabilitation of offender.10 year rule only applies in the Uk.

The record is still present,but you don't have to divulge it on application forms.

A record is never fully expunged.

Therefore it could show on criminal record check but not state offences prior to the ten year,only show record present.

The same if are brought into court,the police can mention you have previous offences,but can not be offence specific,

If committed 10 or more years prior.

No idea about the 'what if's'. I don't know exactly how the police go about doing a criminal record check. I would guess that they take a look at your passport and probably check with countries where you have resided or stayed over a certain length of time.

My experience with a negative police report is limited to a guy who had a criminal record check through the Thai police and it showed a drink-driving offense from Switzerland. He was a Swiss national, but had been living abroad for quite a number of years.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

One of the other members told me to put this in here

I am from Ireland and I am currently applying for a Canadian visa and I need a Police cert from Thailand. I spent a year in Thailand on different visas. I have been given a link to the Thai police site but it is extremey hard to understand. I was just wondering has anyone on here ever gone through the process or know of anyone?? I have asked the Thai consulate in Dublin but they just said they could do nothing most unhelpfull. Just wondering has anyone gone through this, whats the best way too send money? how long does it take??

Kind Regards

If you are in Thailand, specifically Bangkok, which isn't clear in your post, just go to the police office listed on their website. The one downtown. They will sort you out. I've never done it, but we have sent many teachers to get a police clearance.