Police Check Requirements

I think the law requires local jurisdictions to send all convictions to the FBI so that should be the single, central clearninghouse. When I checked the website (www.fbi.gov) it said you could get the background check with a proper set of fingerprints on a proper FBI card, available at the US embassy or consulate. But the card and form have to be mailed in, the prints have to be proper, and the FBI sends the report back by snail mail. I figured three months if you're very lucky, six months if you're semi-lucky.Then you have to imagine that the Thai authorities (school, MoL, MoE, the Ministry of Somtam) accept it. Who knows what an FBI document looks like?

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I was just wondering if there are any Irish nationals who have been through the police check procedure yet. I have got in touch with the Garda (Irish police) and they say they can not perform a police check or provide a certificate of good charecter for its nationals.

I am a registered nurse and so have already been cleared to work with children. Can my registration be used instead of a police check? Any suggentions?

Edited by garro

hi garro

im irish and im hoping to teach english in thailand. ive no idea about the ploice check, there must be some irish here who know or who've already done it.

is it possible for u to not work with children?

by the way is that the purpose of the check,if ur working with children?

if i wanna teach english and i cant get a police check, could i still teach adults?

hope someone out there has an answer to this q

• 1 month later...
From what I understand on the document, these are internal domestic police checks- presumably to see if you've been arrested or penalised for any kind of offense in Thailand. This is not yet, from what I can see, the worst case scenario of having to figure out how to get back ground reports from one's home country in a timely and accurate way, and then worrying about how charges from one's youth will affect one's presence here.

"Steven"

Hi steve,

"Charges from ones youth" i have just got my police check back & i have a minor shoplifting offence which happened nearly 20 years ago!!!! Do you think it will give me any problems in getting a work permit to teach?????

Barry

From what I understand on the document, these are internal domestic police checks- presumably to see if you've been arrested or penalised for any kind of offense in Thailand. This is not yet, from what I can see, the worst case scenario of having to figure out how to get back ground reports from one's home country in a timely and accurate way, and then worrying about how charges from one's youth will affect one's presence here.

"Steven"

Hi steve,

"Charges from ones youth" i have just got my police check back & i have a minor shoplifting offence which happened nearly 20 years ago!!!! Do you think it will give me any problems in getting a work permit to teach?????

Barry

Who knows? When you find out, you'll be one of the first. Please let us know how it works out, and good luck!

Hello everyone,

May I please introduce myself, as I am new to the Forums. My name is Mike and I live in Lancashire, England. My age is 55 years. Following a messy divorce, I have decided to uproot and leave England for Thailand as a TEFL Teacher. I have been to Pattaya quite a number of times and like the atmosphere tremendously.

I visited last November until just before Christmas. It was on my return back to England that I decided I would love to ‘dig’ deeper into becoming a teacher in Pattaya or Chon Buri.

Over the Christmas period, I decided to return to Pattaya yet again. During the latter half of January, I was on my way back to Pattaya. Before leaving the UK, I had spent sometime writing emails and also online with two TEFL Schools in Pattaya. We had arranged, that when I returned, I was to visit them and travel to a few schools in Pattaya and Chon Buri and discuss further, my becoming a teacher in Thailand.

The arrangement, I duly accomplished. I made a few friends with the members of staff of the TEFL schools. We discussed at length, my opportunities, and rewards. The staff at t the schools I visited, were also very nice towards me. One school even wanted me to start there and then! Alas, I could not at that time. I am now back in England, about to return on a ‘one way’ ticket, on or around the 16th April. My Non Immigrant Visa –B, I have to collect from Hull on the 11th April.

I noted a post in the Teaching Forum mentioning the fact that a new law has been passed in Thailand to the effect that, a Police Clearance Form is now required and to be handed to the school concerned. This applies to all new TEFL Teachers. In the UK, you must allow up to 40 days to receive the Police Check, through the post. It is necessary to go to your local Police Station and request the form for completion. And return, duly signed by a person 'in good standing’ i.e.: a solicitor, teacher or a member of the church, similar to a priest, vicar etc. This must be returned to the same police station accompanied with a fee of £10. The school, in Thailand, then passes this form to the Thai Authorities, and they have a maximum time to do so, which is three months from the date of issue. I have yet to receive my clearance, with about 10 days to the final 40th day.

Time is now approaching rather quickly for my return, I am about to pay my deposit to the TEFL school, book my air ticket, collect my visa and countless other tasks to accomplish. I have elderly parents, alive, in the UK. I do have also two brothers who live here in the UK. It is now that I am experiencing ‘cold feet’ symptoms, which I am sure is natural and many of you, no doubt, experienced similar symptoms before your departure for Thailand on a ‘one way’ ticket.

I look to you, as 'new found’ friends, to assure me that I will be made welcome. I look forward to any advice, no matter how great or small, you may be able to offer me. And maybe, one day, meet, as I will initially be teaching in Chon Buri, and visiting Pattaya frequently. I am happy to discuss more if anyone wishes to email me.

Thank for reading my post.

Michael

Hello everyone,

May I please introduce myself, as I am new to the Forums. My name is Mike and I live in Lancashire, England. My age is 55 years. Following a messy divorce, I have decided to uproot and leave England for Thailand as a TEFL Teacher. I have been to Pattaya quite a number of times and like the atmosphere tremendously.

I visited last November until just before Christmas. It was on my return back to England that I decided I would love to 'dig' deeper into becoming a teacher in Pattaya or Chon Buri.

Over the Christmas period, I decided to return to Pattaya yet again. During the latter half of January, I was on my way back to Pattaya. Before leaving the UK, I had spent sometime writing emails and also online with two TEFL Schools in Pattaya. We had arranged, that when I returned, I was to visit them and travel to a few schools in Pattaya and Chon Buri and discuss further, my becoming a teacher in Thailand.

The arrangement, I duly accomplished. I made a few friends with the members of staff of the TEFL schools. We discussed at length, my opportunities, and rewards. The staff at t the schools I visited, were also very nice towards me. One school even wanted me to start there and then! Alas, I could not at that time. I am now back in England, about to return on a 'one way' ticket, on or around the 16th April. My Non Immigrant Visa –B, I have to collect from Hull on the 11th April.

I noted a post in the Teaching Forum mentioning the fact that a new law has been passed in Thailand to the effect that, a Police Clearance Form is now required and to be handed to the school concerned. This applies to all new TEFL Teachers. In the UK, you must allow up to 40 days to receive the Police Check, through the post. It is necessary to go to your local Police Station and request the form for completion. And return, duly signed by a person 'in good standing' i.e.: a solicitor, teacher or a member of the church, similar to a priest, vicar etc. This must be returned to the same police station accompanied with a fee of £10. The school, in Thailand, then passes this form to the Thai Authorities, and they have a maximum time to do so, which is three months from the date of issue. I have yet to receive my clearance, with about 10 days to the final 40th day.

Time is now approaching rather quickly for my return, I am about to pay my deposit to the TEFL school, book my air ticket, collect my visa and countless other tasks to accomplish. I have elderly parents, alive, in the UK. I do have also two brothers who live here in the UK. It is now that I am experiencing 'cold feet' symptoms, which I am sure is natural and many of you, no doubt, experienced similar symptoms before your departure for Thailand on a 'one way' ticket.

I look to you, as 'new found' friends, to assure me that I will be made welcome. I look forward to any advice, no matter how great or small, you may be able to offer me. And maybe, one day, meet, as I will initially be teaching in Chon Buri, and visiting Pattaya frequently. I am happy to discuss more if anyone wishes to email me.

Thank for reading my post.

Michael

Hi

Mike, every year there's at least one absurd rumour or absurd tenative requirement from one bureau or another of the ministries of labour, foreign affairs, education, or interior (they have the immigration police that actually administer visas in-country). The police check is the latest absurd boondoggle, plus rumours of needing a B.Ed. to teach conversational English to children in the provinces' rural schools.

If you can't bring the police check with you, see if one of your brothers can send it to you in the post (which isn't fully reliable). Other than Hull oddly enough, few consulates or agencies have really required a police clearance, and they haven't the foggiest idea how it's done, or what a proper clearance looks like, etc. When you get here, there's no telling if anybody will care to see it.

But do bring whatever proof you can of university accomplisments, like an original degree, sealed transcripts of your academic record, special course certificates, etc. Good luck.

Fellas:

Got my fingerprints taken at local Thai police station on their fingerprint card. Slipped the cop 300 baht. Very similar looking document to USA FBI document. I filled in the info as well as the cover page from the FBI web site. The usual stuff is on Thai fingerprint card. I added SS# also.

Mailed in the card with the fee which I believe was $18. Can use credit card. Card returned to a USA address which then was forwarded to me.

What you get in return: Fingerprints returned with a stamp of No Record Found with the FBI seal on it. (If you have record other documentation is received.) All done in 8 weeks. It can be done. Stop the moaning. Better get started on it just in case.

Turok

Turok, thanks for the info- it is very valuable and we do appreciate hearing about this- it gives some structure and feeling of security to the American teachers already in Thailand to whom it applies.

However, I'm afraid that your post leaves other questions open for a number of posters, who can be excused perhaps for continuing to "moan." For example, does the procedure you mention work (and work in the same time frame) for teachers who are not Americans? What is the procedure (in any one of a half-dozen *other* countries) for police checks if one is seeking to apply for a non-Imm. "B" from outside Thailand? Can you tell us with 100% certainty if such a procedure is truly necessary? Who told you that you needed to do this Thai version of the police check, and how did they know? Is it necessary to go to Bangkok or can the check can be done from the provinces? Is time spent in other foreign countries checked, or only (insufficiently) one's home country?

If you can tell us all these things, then truly there is no need for anyone to moan anymore. Hallelujah! Someone with all the answers at last! :o:D

"Steven"

But we don't mean to be beating up on Turok; at least he told us what worked for him as an American, and there are quite a few of us here. I'm skeptical enough to wonder how many Americans it would work for. I thought, from reading the FBI's website on this matter, that they only accepted cards for fingerprints that are available at the US consulate and embassy. And, I wondered if the Thai printing procedure would be good enough. Snail mail going both ways can be a problem. You might now have the acceptable method of payment, etc.

Yes, give it a good try. And, thanks to Turok. Now if we could hear from Sean from Ireland, Ian from England, Zizy from New Zealand, etc.

And, if I can be cheeky enough to add one more unanswered question, we still don't know what effect if any having *any* past offenses on one's record will have on visa acceptance/rejection. Unpaid speeding tickets, anybody?

Didn't mean to beat up on you, Turok- but we Americans often take for granted the fact that we are one of the 2 or 3 groups for whom the legal and bureaucratic red tape (sometimes, not always) is made slightly, a little bit, partly clear.

Fellas:

I am an American. I have no idea how other countries handle background checks. I can not answer that question. I just know how the USA works. I have been FBI background checked many times. As a licensed teacher, you are often background checked. The Thai fingerprint form will work with the FBI. Of course the USA one will work also. All they are doing is rolling your prints. They didn't ask any questions and I am sure the police stations in the provinces carry finger print cards. Donate some money to them also. Its just the stock of paper, meaning quality and thickness. The cards are similar in many ways. Now, maybe some of you guys are worried that some record may come up. That I can't help you with or how the Thai authorities will handle it when they see it. Best to give them no reason to doubt you. Again, for Americans it is simple process. The Thai police know how to roll the fingers properly and if you can believe this know the right hand from the left hand. If you worried about getting the prints mailed to you in a timely manner, use Fed Ex or some speedier service. This is not a difficult process guys and gals.

Turok

And, if I can be cheeky enough to add one more unanswered question, we still don't know what effect if any having *any* past offenses on one's record will have on visa acceptance/rejection. Unpaid speeding tickets, anybody?

Didn't mean to beat up on you, Turok- but we Americans often take for granted the fact that we are one of the 2 or 3 groups for whom the legal and bureaucratic red tape (sometimes, not always) is made slightly, a little bit, partly clear.

Unpaid parking tickets. Oh no, would they really show up? I just recieved the DHL tracking number for my report, so I should have it in a day or so. What is really bothering me, is my multitude of traffic offences. I have always paid the "Admission of guilt" fines and I'm wondering if they will show up.

And, as I just told Whitey, American govt. websites also usually contain a disclaimer or escape clause like "generally, usually, normally." The Social Security says sixty days for one of their processes, and the lady on the phone admits that sometimes it's six months.

I once supervised federal employees who kept an entire category of mail for 12 months before reading it. That was the same year that some tax returns were thrown in the trash or stuffed in the ceiling panels. It was a very bad year.

Fellas:

1. Got fingerprinted on Feb. 20, 2007 at the Thonglor Police Station using their fingerprint cards. I filled in on the top all necessary information such as address and SS#, date of birth etc....

2. Sent the fingerprints along with the fee a few days later.

3. FBI did my background check on March 15, 2007 as stamped on the fingerprint card by the FBI.

4. Assuming you have no record they will stamp on the back of the fingerprint card "No Arrest Record" along with the date. This is done in the bottom right of the card. Mine was dated March 15, 2007.

5. I received all of this information today April 4, 2007. I used no express mail. Regular USA post and Thai post.

Turnaround for this is about 6 weeks. I don't know where you guys are getting your info from but this definately did not take 4 months as people are suggesting.

On the FBI website there is a cover page you fill out. There is a section asking if you need your check quickly. If you provide a good reason maybe it helps. I said I needed it for international work.

So I suggest everybody stop worrying about the length of time and just get started and do it. It is not difficult to do.

Turok

For those too lazy to check the URL, here's what the FBI's own site says:

Please Note: If any of the above items are missing or incomplete, the request will be returned.

Allow approximately 16-18 weeks for processing, upon receipt to the FBI.

As Whitey pointed out elsewhere, that could easily take a total of 20 weeks by snail mail. If everything goes as planned. Personal checks not accepted, but you can use a credit card, if you trust the FBI (!).

This is all part of the weeding out process. Getting rid of the clowns and yes a few good teachers too.

In some cases if you go back to the US to obtain said certifications it takes less than one week.

Being able to come with such documents is one measure of a person's moral fiber.

Good point, Steven. Wait, here's another page on the embassy website

Visa for English Teacher

REQUIREMENT

Visa regulation of Thailand concerning the visa applicant from English native speaking countries who wishes to apply for an appropriate visa to work as an English teacher in Thailand both on employment basis and voluntary basis is as follows :

Documents Required :

1. On Employment Basis

The applicant must apply for non-immigrant visa, Type “B” at the Royal Thai Embassy. The applicant is required to submit :

A copy of education certificate

Criminal record clearance certificate in the United Kingdom or Ireland (issued by the national police department)

Official recommendation letter from the education institution in Thailand to the Embassy.

Information of the employment term of the applicant in Thailand have to be provided for the Embassy’s consideration.

If the applicant has appropriate qualification, the Embassy will issue a non-immigrant visa, type “B”, single entry with three months validity to the applicant within two working days. With this kind of visa, the applicant will be permitted to stay in Thailand not more than 90 days.

Once the applicant arrives Thailand, the education institution will apply a teacher license at the Ministry of Education or the Ministry of University Affairs and also apply for work permit at the Ministry of Labour for the applicant. The work permit will be issued within 7 working days.

After granted teacher license and work permit, the applicant is required to submit teacher license, work permit, employment contract and employment certificate to the Immigration Bureau in Bangkok in order to apply for visa extension to cover the term of employment.

2. On Voluntary Basis

The applicant must apply for a non-immigrant visa, type “O”. at the Embassy. The applicant is required to submit an official recommendation letter from the organization in Thailand to the Embassy. Information on the term of voluntary work of the applicant in Thailand have to be provided for the Embassy’s consideration. If the applicant has appropriate qualification, the Embassy will issue a non-immigrant visa, type “O”, single entry with three month validity to the applicant within two working days. With this kind of visa, the applicant will be permitted to stay in Thailand not more than 90 days. In case the applicant wishes to extend the duration of stay in Thailand, the applicant is required to apply with the Immigration Bureau in Thailand by enclosing an official introduction letter of the Organization in Thailand.

Please be informed that a foreigner who is holding a Thai tourist visa is not permitted to work as an English teacher in Thailand, even on a voluntary basis.

Fees :

VISA FEE GBP 40.00 for Single Entry

VISA FEE GBP 90.00 for Multiple Entries

(Visa fee may be changed without prior notice)

VALIDITY OF A VISA :

Single-entry and multiple-entry visas are valid for three months and multiple- entry visas for one year respectively.

VALIDITY OF A STAY :

The holders of this type of visa are initially granted a period of stay in the Kingdom not exceeding 90 days unless otherwise instructed by the Office of Immigration Bureau.

For more information, please contact the Royal Thai Embassy , Consular Section, 29-30 Queen's Gate, LONDON SW7 5JB. Tel. 0207-5892944

Hi PB! I recall that during our email sessions you told me that "it would be a good idea to get a police clearance before I came" I have done just that; but i did not elect to have finger prints taken as i didn't want to have mine in the Australian police finger file. Looks like your thinking and advice was timely. I notice that this requirement is from the UK Embassy, I have not heard anything about that in Australia. Do you suspect that it is required by all Native English speakers irrespective of where they are from?

ThaiItAgain

I suspect nothing, and everybody. I have no idea what the various embassies and consulates of the Ministry of Funny Affairs are up to.

I expect nothing to be irrespective or irregardless. You quoted a New Year's posting by me. Heck, it's now April. What is one expected to do with these police checks once you arrive - expectorate? Other than some consulates and embassies, who checks that the Czechs have police checks? Do obstetricians in Prague still tell their patients, "The male is in the Czech"?

Good on ya', mate, as they say somewhere in the English-speaking world.

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this originally on the visa thread, but it was suggested I might have better luck here. I have taught for several yearsa t an international school here in Thailand, and am moving on to another school next year also in Thailand. Do I need a clearance both from Thai authorities as well as from the USA to get a non-immigrant visa?

I did not need one several years ago when I received my original non-immigrant visa, but I realize times have changed. Thanks in advance for your help.

Rick

You only need a letter of initiation from the company is contracting you (non-immigration type B visa). Police clearance is not required.

I have got non-immigration visa from both Singapore and Malaysia and only the invitation letter has been required. This has to be done by a valid company and have contact details as they may call from the embassy.

Except if this is a specific requirement in the USA embassy, which I doubt it.

In any case I suggest to ask the moderator to move this topic to the Thai visas, residency and work permits area.

Edited by torito

Torito's certainty is mistaken (or it is based on old information, or perhaps on the misapprehension that you are applying to work at a company rather than a school).

Actually, nobody really knows *for sure* what you need for a non-imm. B for education, especially regarding police clearance. It appears increasingly common for persons outside Thailand to be required to get this check (from English-speaking countries, anyway). If you're lucky, the school might be able to find out- or the immigration police might be able to tell you. Or maybe not. I'm merging this thread with our increasingly long and uncertain thread regarding police checks.

"Steven"

Thanks, Steven

After recently reading this entire thread, it does appear that the situation is, indeed, as clear as mud. At this point, I will probably work on the FBI $18 clearance, and also seek a state clearance from the U.S. as well. The lady at the U.S. embassy last week knew nothing--she only gave me a fingerprint card to be used at the Royal Thai Police Headquarters on Rama I, and a sheet of instructions on obtaining the FBI clearance. She really had no clue about specifics, but seemed hesitant to admit it.

HI,

I NEED SOME ADVICE AND, OR HELP FROM ANYONE WHO HAS WORKED WITH B.M.A. TEMPLE SCHOOLS (PRIMARY). I'VE BEEN TEACHING A SPECIAL AFTER-SCHOOL ENGLISH CLASS AT A BMA TEMPLE SCHOOL FOR THE PAST 3 YEARS. MY SALARY COMES FROM THE ENROLLMENT FEE THE PARENTS PAY AT THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR. MY EXPERIENCE TEACHING AT THIS SCHOOL HAS BEEN WONDERFUL, AMAZING ADMIN., STAFF, PARENTS AND OF COURSE STUDENTS.

TOWARDS THE END OF LAST SEMESTER THE SCHOOL OFFERED ME A DAY JOB FOR THE NEW SCHOOL YEAR. TEACHING PRATHOM 4/5/6,

12 HOURS A WEEK. MONEY COMING FROM A BUDGET GIVEN BY THE BMA. I WAS EXTREMELY HAPPY AS I'M FOND OF THE SCHOOL. THEN A WEEK AGO, THE SCHOOL INFORMED ME THAT FOR THEM TO GET THE BUDGET TO HIRE ME THEY NEED A LIST OF DOCUMENTS, DEGREE, TRANSCRIPTS, NON-IMM, WORK PERMIT, POLICE CHECK FROM HOME COUNTRY, AND SOME OTHER STUFF. I'M CURRENTLY ON A MARRIAGE VISA, AND AM CAPABLE OF GETTING MOST OF THE DOCUMENTS, BUT THE PROBLEM IS THE POLICE CHECK......IT WILL TAKE 4 MONTHS+++.

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE AS TIME IS RUNNING OUT ON GETTING THAT BUDGET. WHAT ABOUT IF I SIGNED UP WITH A LANGUAGE SCHOOL, WHAT DOC. WOULD BE NEEDED THEN? IF THERE IS ANYONE HERE WHO RUNS A LANG. SCHOOL AND CAN HELP, I'M SURE WE CAN SET UP SOME SORT OF DEAL THE BENEFITS ALL.

BY THE WAY..... MY SCHOOLS WILLING TO DO ANYTHING TO HELP.

THANKS

As with other recent police check matters, I am transferring this to the longer and ever more confusing police check thread. I hope the OP will locate and read through the entire thread, though it will probably make him even more confused. To give the short answer: we don't know what you should do. If the school really wants a police check for you, then they really need one- and our advice cannot help you- your home country government appears to be the only place for you to go to get this police check. If they need you badly enough, they will either have to pay for you- or you will have to do without- or you will have to leave and choose another option. Good luck and let us know how it works out- preferably, using both upper and lower case next time.

"Steven"