Police Check Requirements

In practice, where I work, we've had pretty good luck with them issuing the non-immigrant B as long as there is A police check. Some folks have given us police checks from the last country they worked in; for example one person submitted one from S. Korea. Another person wrote to her home country and received one. The only person we've had rejected was someone that showed up for the visa without one.

A recent employee, who worked last year in Thailand, we were told he doesn't have to get one--at least for the letter from the MOE. I don't know if they plan to check with the Royal Thai police or not.

I'll let you know what happens when he goes to get his visa.

Yes; interesting to hear of these differences.

I, for example, have not lived in Australia for several years and could have murdered & pillaged throughout the remainder of the known world since leaving.

Not that I particularly wish to have to produce any more papers, but it's hardly thorough.

Edited by spectrum

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The British Embassy is willing to supply a letter stating that your a good boy, or girl, for the princely sum of 2,499 Baht. I received this information from the Embassy in response to an E-mail i sent concerning the clearance form I had received from the UK police, via dear ole mum.

Does anyone know if this is an accepted document by whatever Thai authorities might want a piece of paper saying you are in fact a good boy, or girl?

Thanks.

In practice, where I work, we've had pretty good luck with them issuing the non-immigrant B as long as there is A police check. Some folks have given us police checks from the last country they worked in; for example one person submitted one from S. Korea. Another person wrote to her home country and received one. The only person we've had rejected was someone that showed up for the visa without one.

A recent employee, who worked last year in Thailand, we were told he doesn't have to get one--at least for the letter from the MOE. I don't know if they plan to check with the Royal Thai police or not.

I'll let you know what happens when he goes to get his visa.

Yes; interesting to hear of these differences.

I, for example, have not lived in Australia for several years and could have murdered & pillaged throughout the remainder of the known world since leaving.

Not that I particularly wish to have to produce any more papers, but it's hardly thorough.

I got my non-immigrant B visa issued and work permit processed without ever once having to show a police check. Suppose it depends on who processes you on the day...

Hi

I have just been on the Royal Thai Consulate Hull website and there is a notice which states:

POLICE CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE

A) The following is the procedure for someone who is residing in the UK to apply for a UK Police Clearance Certificate for presentation to the Thai authorities for the purposes of applying for either retirement status in Thailand or to take up a job which involves working with children (teaching, etc).

All foreign nationals living outside Thailand who wish to enter Thailand to become a teacher or to retire need to provide a Police Clearance Certificate. In the case of a British national living in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland they need to contact their Area Police Force and request a “Subject Access Report” application form (used to be known as the £10 Police Check). Information about all UK Police Forces is available through the internet at www.police.uk. Please note it can take up to 40 days to receive your report. The report must be submitted to the Thai authorities within 3 months of the date of issue.

I will be applying for a Multi Entry Non Immigration type O visa in the UK and then extending this on the grounds of retirement once in Thailand. I am sure that I have read on other threads that a police clearance check is not required or asked for at Immigration. Should I apply for one to be on the safe side and if so do I need to send it to Bangkok for verification? :o

hi...i stayed thai about 1 year then im planning to marry an american guy then i need a thai police clearance cuz i resided about a year...but my visa is only tourist visa..u think they can issue thai police clearance to me?but im here already at phil..what best thing u can advise....

thanks so much

I believe a police check is a requirement to obtain a visa to teach in Thailand now and for those living here, or who have lived here, that is a Thai police clearance.

The US Embassy should be able to advise you how to go about obtaining the required documentation. You might do it through the Royal Thai Embassy but am not sure on that. But is sounds as if you may have been in Thailand on a tourist visa for one year? They should still be able to say you had no police record so do not believe that will be a factor.

ok..cuz some said they still need that...thank u very much for ur reply..its big help

The US Embassy should be able to advise you how to go about obtaining the required documentation. You might do it through the Royal Thai Embassy but am not sure on that. But is sounds as if you may have been in Thailand on a tourist visa for one year? They should still be able to say you had no police record so do not believe that will be a factor.

I would like to point out that we have 2 threads running on this topic in the teacher's subforum, which over a dozen pages of posts and one poll on what people have been required to do, have made the requirements as clear as mud. The only consistency is that there isn't much consistency. While many people are being required to do *something*, not all are required to do anything and the "something" is never quite the same thing from person to person depending on experience and nationality. Once again, it seems suspiciously like policy is being made on the fly by whomever you manage to wind up speaking with at whichever Ministry, Consulate, or Embassy you inquire. But don't believe me- read the threads. Here's the general discussion and here's the thread with the poll.

It may be that over time, these lightly documented requirements will gel into some sort of common practice nationwide and everyone will know what the laws "mean." Would've been easier to do that the other way around, I would've thought, but nevermind.

"Steven"

• 3 weeks later...
Just curious.What exactly is this police clearance certificate good for.

thx

Exactly my question.

Some occupations and some employers require you to have a background check before they will employ you. In the UK you would apply for a criminal background check which would normally go back 10 years. As I have been out of the UK for over 10 years this would be pretty pointless. The Thai Police check covers me for the period I have been in Thailand.

I'm not a teacher, however you can understand the logic there why they would want to know what you

have been up to or not as the case may be. Also for some countries it is a requirment in the process for applying for a visa.

Hi there! Thanks a lot for the information. I really need a Police Clearance for my visa too. But my problem is that. What if they will require us to personally apply for the certificate. I worked in Thailand last 2004 to 2006 and dont have any idea that this is important and that i will need it somday. I thought i can obtain such certificate where im resident only. But then i read that one of the requirements is a Police Clearance and i finally read (after creating wrinkles on my brows searching :o ) that i can get it by sendin them the required documents and after reading your message here.

By this information i hope i can get it thru mail.

And...... for THOSE WHO ARE ASKING " WHAT EXACTLY IS THIS POLICE CLEARANCE GOOD FOR????? you will need this someday :D .

Thanks and God Bless.

I will stay tune for more of your information.

THERE IS A LOT OF CONFUSION HERE.

A police clearance is obtained from countries that you have lived. In other words, if you are looking at moving to Thailand and someone says you need a police clearance for your visa, then you'll need to get it from your home country.

If you are moving from Thailand to someplace else, you would get the police clearance from Thailand.

The police clearance says basically that you didn't break any laws while you resided in the country in question. Thus, if you're immigrating to Thailand, they want a clearance from the countries you've lived in previously so they know you aren't a criminal.

If you lived in Thailand for a year, working as a teacher for instance, and you want to immigrate to someplace else - you'll likely need two police certificates - one from your home country, and one from Thailand.

AN EMBASSY CANNOT GET A POLICE CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE FOR YOU.

The process is different in every country, but in general, you have to apply to the police headquarters in the country you need the certificate from.

• 4 weeks later...

Would this form be the same "Police check/ Criminal Record" letter the Thailand Government Child Adoption Center of Department Social Development and Welfare requires? If any Thai Visa members have gone through the adoption process of their Thai spouses children they might be familiar with this requirement. Thank you in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Was wondering what my chances are of getting a teachers job as i have a minor shoplifting offence which happened over 20 years ago, got a small fine etc. I thought that it would of been wiped clean after 10 years but it showed up on my criminal record certificate, i know that this new requirement is for protecting children etc & eliminating sex-offenders but does anyone know if thai imigrations would turn me down on such a minor offence that had happened when i was young & stupid......

Would appreciate if anyone could give some advice on this subject......

Many Thanks

Baz

P.s i did contact the thai embassy here in the u.k & was told probably not but they couldnt guarantee it.....

t it's just rumour, and his school doesn't know what it's talking about.
It's most upsetting to expats who teach in Thailand, to be told first one ignorant thing and then another, by expert educators who don't know the first thing about what applies to foreigners.

As an expert educator and teacher recruiter of many years in Thailand, I can assure you that any males applying at a Thai embassy or consulate abroad for a Non-Imm Visa B, based on accompanying documentation for the employment as a teacher in mainstream primary and secondary schools, they will be required to produca a Police Clearance Certificate not older than six months. That is the ruling even if some consulates or their clerks decide not to insist on it.

Hi,

I have a minor shoplifting offence that happened over 20 years ago, paid a small fine etc, do you think this will go against me getting a teachers job or visas etc in thailand.......

Thanks

Barry

Hi everyone,

Was wondering what my chances are of getting a teachers job as i have a minor shoplifting offence which happened over 20 years ago, got a small fine etc. I thought that it would of been wiped clean after 10 years but it showed up on my criminal record certificate, i know that this new requirement is for protecting children etc & eliminating sex-offenders but does anyone know if thai imigrations would turn me down on such a minor offence that had happened when i was young & stupid......

Many Thanks

Baz

P.s i did contact the thai embassy here in the u.k & was told probably not but they couldnt guarantee it.....

Baz, I wouldn't worry too much. There was a big storm about criminal record checks at the beginning of the year but it seems to have blown over. You might want to run it past the learned folk who attend to the Teaching In Thailnd Forum to see if there have been any updates.

Edited by page449

Hi everyone,

Many Thanks

Baz

I cant beleive that it is showing up after 20 years , i would guess that its a mistake that its still on your record , i always thought that after 5 years these things were lifted . Check it out at the local cop shop and ask that it be lifted from your records .

JB

Hi everyone,

Many Thanks

Baz

Baz, I wouldn't worry too much. There was a big storm about criminal record checks at the beginning of the year but it seems to have blown over. You might want to run it past the learned folk who attend to the Teaching In Thailnd Forum to see if there have been any updates.

Im an English guy been living in Thailand for over two years I want to organise a criminal record certificate

I have been teaching aat the same school for over a year I want it in case I move schools in the future..

Who can advice me how to get one?

Thanks

To the bloke what's still in the UK, bell the cop shop and ask the constable about the statute of limitations on your criminal record and see if he can change it.

AJmatt, I can only suggest you go through this terribly long thread and take notes that you think apply to you. You could cut and paste the pertinent remarks onto a Word document. Note the contradictions and the lack of consistency. Nobody really knows; it depends. Besides, if you get a clearance now, it may be too old when you need to use it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I am a teacher worked in Thailand from Aug 2002 to Jan 2007, and obtained Pollice clearance Certificate in last November(2006) to apply for New Zealand immigration for my visa and subsequently and and I reached New Zealand.

Now I am trying to register in New Zealand teaching council and they are asking me to produce a Police Clearance Certificate. Please let me know as to how to proceed. i gave my finger prints and certificates etc at that time in november 2007. I just need a copy of the Pcc from the records of Royal Thai Police.

Earlier I sent a couple of mails to Roal Thai Police regarding this and there was no repply, please advise me. my name is

Hi,

I have a minor shoplifting offence that happened over 20 years ago, paid a small fine etc, do you think this will go against me getting a teachers job or visas etc in thailand.......

Thanks

Barry

Barry, I hope you're still reading. Nobody knows. It depends first of all how minor your offence was considered by the record keepers in that country, and whether they have a statute of limitations on old minor offences. I would suggest you try to get a record of your police clearance and see what it says. If it's still on there, it will look bad. But 20 years is a long time, and if you've had responsible positions since then, it may be insignificant.

Hi,

Thanks

Barry

Barry, I hope you're still reading. Nobody knows. It depends first of all how minor your offence was considered by the record keepers in that country, and whether they have a statute of limitations on old minor offences. I would suggest you try to get a record of your police clearance and see what it says. If it's still on there, it will look bad. But 20 years is a long time, and if you've had responsible positions since then, it may be insignificant.

If you are from the UK then a minor shop lifting offence 20 years ago will not show up on the Subject Access Check (the 10 pound police check) as it is considered 'spent' under the rehabilitation of offenders act 1974.

As a side note, it would probably show up on the enhanced CRB check that you would have to undergo if you were applying for a job working with kids BACK IN THE UK. But that's not the kinda check you need for getting a visa/work permit to be a teacher here in Thailand.

Some of our teachers have recently returned from Penang with their Type B visas. The Thai consulate there wrote in their passports that their police records have NOT been checked - even though 2 out of the 3 teachers DID have their police checks with them AND handed them in.

We are now waiting to see if the remark in the passport will cause immigration to ask for their police checks when they come to extend their visas. (Neither labour nor education asked for the checks - so we only have one more hurdle to cross - La Migra - which we will do this week)

When it appeared that my current non-b would expire before i could get the WP, i was planning to go to get another non-b at the thai consulate in penang. i was told to bring a police clearance with me to facilitate getting the non-b.

i went to the offices opposite paragon in bkk.

as for the accuracy of the pickup date of the certificate, i went on the appointed day and was told it wasnt ready. but then they called me back a few hours later and said "come back, its done". im not sure if it wasnt really done or if they just couldnt find it (they sent me to another counter to pick it up, different than the counter indicated on the pickup claim check).

oh, and my claim check had me coming back in about 2 weeks, definitely not 7 days.

everyone at the office was very pleasant and accommodating. however, as noted elsewhere, probably 90% of the people requesting these certificates are thai nationals who need them to get entry to another country. so the police were a little baffled, at first, as to why i wanted a certificate. they even at one point assumed i needed it for my home country to re-enter that home country. but after i explained it was for working in thailand, they wrote that on the form and we were off and running.

as for the xerox copy of the passport, the important pages they want copies of are the name/picture page (of course), but then also the pages showing

a) your first visa entry stamp to thailand ever (in this current passport)

:o the most recent entry stamp to thailand

c) visa (if you have one)